Chapter 2

Under the Deep Blue Sky (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #1)

 

Ming Palace, Yixing

 

“I am not getting married!” Yixing growled as he glared boldly up at his father. The Khan sighed and shook his head.

 

“You have no choice, Yixing. It is for the good of our country and yourself. You will be Khan one day, and you cannot stay unmarried.” He replied.

 

“Father, you know why I will not take a wife!” Yixing replied petulantly, crossing his arms.

 

“I know, and while I understand, there is still no other choice for you, Yixing.” The Khan replied firmly, “It is good to establish close relationships with the Ming royalty. Besides, it seems that you like the princess anyway.” Yixing sighed in frustration.

 

“I don’t know why I did what I did, but it’s not what you think!” He protested, “I’m not going to marry her!” He flinched as his father slammed a hand onto his desk.

 

“That’s enough, Yixing! A child’s marriage has always been decided by their parents, and you are no different. You are going to marry Xu Feiyan, and that is final!” Yixing sighed deeply and sensed from his father’s tone that the conversation wasn’t going to be continued.

 

“Yes Father.” He said as he bowed. His hands clenched to his sides as he walked out of the room, his breathing barely controlled to hide his fury. He knew his father was right, whether he liked it or not, but no one could force him to love Princess Feiyan.

 

“It’d probably be in your best interest not to anger Father too much.” Yifan advised him as Yixing stormed out of the guest chambers they had been given, “He has good intentions for this marriage anyway.” Yixing growled and glared at his brother.

 

“I swore never to marry, Yifan, and I intended to keep my word!” He declared. Yifan raised an eyebrow.

 

“If you insist on that, Xing’er, you’d just end up giving up the throne too.” He replied, “And Father would never let you do that. Besides, Princess Feiyan looks like the perfect choice to be your khatun. Her strengths and beauty are known throughout the land.” Yixing crossed his arms.

 

“I’ll marry her if I have to.” He conceded, “But no one can make me love her. No one, and that includes you and Father.” He walked off before Yifan could get in another word, glaring at any servant passing by who dared to look at him.

 

I will never accept that princess as my wife!

 

___________________________________________________________________________

Ming Palace, Feiyan

 

Feiyan’s scream of frustration echoed through the room, which was currently covered in the plethora of things she had thrown across the room. Her maids hovered anxiously by the door, torn between tending to their mistress and avoiding getting smacked in the face by whatever she decided to throw next.

 

“I had a feeling this would happen.” A deep voice drew the maids’ attention, and they bowed to the tall young man that had appeared behind them.

 

“Your Highness.” They murmured softly.

 

“I will go talk to her.” The young man said, and swept into the chambers before the maids could say another word.

 

“Feiyan?” He called as he walked deeper into the expansive chambers, barely dodging a pillow that came flying his way.

 

“Calm down there, little tiger.” He teased as he spotted the furious princess sitting on her bed, arms crossed with a sulk curling her bottom lip up. The young man sat down and gently patted Feiyan’s head.

 

“Who has angered our little bird now?” He asked kindly. Feiyan huffed and ducked away from his grasp.

 

“You know what happened, Royal Brother!” She said, puffing out her cheeks, “I only agreed to dance! I didn’t agree to be engaged!” The prince chuckled and took Feiyan’s hand before she threw another object in a random direction.

 

“The Mongol prince seemed quite taken to you.” He said, “I heard that he hasn’t danced in many years.”

 

“What does that matter to me?” Feiyan snapped, “I don’t want to marry to Mongolia, Tianjun gege!” Tianjun reached over and gently hugged his younger sister.

 

“I know, Yan’er.” He said softly, “And I don’t want to see you go either. But as royals, we are fated to a life of luxury at the same time as a life of no choice in the way our life plays out.” Feiyan felt tears fill her eyes, and she buried her face into her brother’s chest.

 

“There’s no way out of it, is there?” She asked faintly. Tianjun shook his head and gently patted her on the back.

 

“I’m sorry Feiyan. I can’t tell you anything besides to accept your fate.” He said gently, “But if the Mongol prince ever bullies you, just send me a letter. I’ll go teach him a lesson immediately, important political relationships or not!” Feiyan giggled at that and brushed at her tears.

 

“I always knew you loved me best, Royal Brother.” She said as she gave Tianjun a hug. Someone cleared their throat, and Feiyan pulled away from her brother to see the Mongol Crown Prince standing in the doorway.

 

“Am I interrupting?”  He asked, one eyebrow arching elegantly as he looked at the siblings. Feiyan huffed.

 

“In fact, you are!” She replied, “I’m having a very important conversation with my brother.”

 

“Don’t be rude.” Tianjun admonished. Feiyan pouted and turned away, crossing her arms.

 

“May I have a word with my fiance?” Yixing asked, “Alone, preferably.” Feiyan shot her brother a desperate look, but Tianjun rose smoothly to his feet and brushed off his clothes.

 

“Of course, future brother-in-law.” He replied.

 

“Brother!” Feiyan spluttered as Tianjun patted her on the shoulder and left the room. Feiyan frowned at Yixing and made sure to sit taller to look bigger than she actually was.

 

“May I help you, Jinong?” She asked coolly, folding her hands in her lap. Yixing looked at her curiously.

 

“You know our language?” He asked, sounding genuinely surprised. Feiyan sighed.

 

“Slightly regretfully, but yes.” She replied, “It seems like my father was preparing me for this from the start.” Yixing smirked.

 

“You’re an interesting girl, Princess Feiyan.” He commented, “You play the part of a perfect princess and then become completely the opposite when you’re away from the guests.”

 

“I will take that as a compliment.” Feiyan replied, meeting his gaze boldly. A little smirk tilted up the corner of Crown Prince Yixing’s lips, and despite Feiyan’s resistance towards him, the little movement made her heart skip a beat.

 

“What an interesting girl.” He repeated, “But I hope you get one thing straight: I will never love you, so don’t try and imagine otherwise.” Feiyan folded her hands calmly in her laps and met his gaze levelly.

 

“You needn’t worry about that.” She replied, “I’m only marrying you because it is my father’s order and beneficial to my great Ming. I won’t even dream of having feelings for you.” Yixing smirked again and turned away, walking towards the door.

 

“Good. I’m glad we have an understanding.” He called before leaving her chambers, “I will see you on our wedding day.” Feiyan hissed and balled her hands into fists.

 

What an arrogant man!

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Two weeks later

 

The air hung thick and heavy over the Ming Palace, matching the heaviness that was weighing down on Feiyan’s chest. Her maids bustled around her as they finished packing her things and dressing her in the bright red wedding clothes. The long red sleeves draped all the way down to Feiyan’s wrists, the sleek fabric of the dress covered in swirling patterns sewn with gold string. The gold headdress chimed softly with every movement as Feiyan turned her head to look around her chamber one last time.  A soft sigh escaped her lips as she closed her eyes to engrave it into her memory.

 

“The groom has arrived!” One of the eunuchs called from outside. Feiyan swallowed hard.

 

And so it begins.

 

One of the maids draped the red cloth over her head, and Feiyan was led slowly out of her chambers into the sunlight. Feiyan could hear the soft swishing of horse tails, and the murmur of men talking. A gentle pair of hands took Feiyan’s, and she smiled under the cloth as she recognized Tianjun’s touch.

 

“You look beautiful today, little sister.” He said softly, “I will come see you once you settle in.” Feiyan nodded.

 

“I will be waiting.” She promised. Another pair of hands smoothed down the cloth on her shoulders, and Feiyan bobbed in a curtsey as she recognized her father’s touch.

 

“Father.” Her voice caught as she swallowed down tears.

 

“Be brave, my daughter.” The Emperor said gently as he squeezed her shoulders, “And never forget that you are a princess of the great Ming royalty.” Feiyan steeled herself and nodded.

 

“Yes, Father.” She replied.

 

“Do not worry, Your Majesty.” She heard Crown Prince Yixing say from his position at the front, “I will look after her.”

 

“I trust you will, Prince.” The Emperor replied. Feiyan bit her lip.

 

We’ll have to see about that one.


A maid helped Feiyan into the waiting palanquin, and with a clang of the instruments included as part of the bridal procession, she began her journey to her new home.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jinong: Mongolian word for Crown Prince

Khatun: Mongolian word for Queen Consort