Chapter 11

Under the Deep Blue Sky (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #1)

 

Yixing

 

Yixing gasped as his breath was knocked out of his lungs, his back hitting the sandy ground below him once again. How many times had the Ming emperor knocked him onto his back? It was an embarrassment to his training, but Yixing had expected as much. His shoulder stung from where the emperor’s sword had just nicked the skin below his armor, and his hair blew freely in the incoming breeze as it had been freed from his helmet long ago.

 

“Are you ready to forfeit, Prince Yixing?” The emperor asked as he stood over Yixing, the tip of his sword near Yixing’s throat. Yixing gritted his teeth and swung his foot upwards so that he knocked the sword away from his throat.

 

“Never.” He growled. Yixing knew he was far outmatched, but still, he spun, kicked, and parried blows as well as he could. He was so focused on the sparring match that he barely noticed that a commotion had arisen outside. Slowly, he became aware of voices yelling from outside the tent.

 

“Princess, you cannot go inside!”

 

“Unhand me!” A female voice insisted furiously, and then the sound of a small scuffle commenced. As Yixing was distracted, his attention was dragged violently back to the fight at hand as a foot connected with his chest, sending him skittering backwards. The sharp edge of the emperor’s sword shone in the morning sunlight as it came down towards his neck, and Yixing closed his eyes, certain that the end had come. Then…

 

“Father!” Something flitted in front of Yixing, and he opened his eyes in shock to see Feiyan standing in front of him, arms outstretched in an attempt to protect Yixing. The edge of the sword had stopped a mere finger’s width from her neck, so close that a few long strands of her hair fluttered to the ground, cut off by the edge of the blade. The emperor withdrew his sword immediately.

 

“Feiyan, what do you think you’re doing?” He demanded angrily. Feiyan planted her feet firmly into the ground.

 

“Stopping you from making a terrible mistake, Father!” She declared.

 

“Are you going to protect the man who could not even give your brother justice?” The emperor asked angrily, “He is not worthy to be your husband!”

 

“But he is my husband!” Feiyan cried, “And even if he wasn’t, he is the only one who can lead the Mongol people in the future! You surely know that, Father!” Yixing placed a hand on Feiyan’s shoulder.

 

“Feiyan, your father and I made an agreement.” He said, “Do not interfere.” Feiyan turned her head and glared at him.

 

“Shut your mouth!” She snapped, “I did not agree to your agreement!” Surprised at her sudden ferocity, Yixing indeed, did shut his mouth. She turned and looked back at the emperor.

 

“Father, if Yixing dies, then a civil war over the crown prince position will surely begin.” Feiyan reasoned, “When that happens, our people will definitely have to interfere! Whether you go to war now or later, even though you can easily crush the Mongol army, victory will not come without a price in human lives. Are you truly willing to see the peace you fought so hard to obtain fall to pieces?” Her gaze was earnest as she looked up at her father.

 

“Political considerations aside, do you want me to be widowed already?” She asked softly, “This man does not love me, but at the very least, he is willing to act to protect me when it becomes necessary.” As the emperor wavered, Feiyan seized her opportunity and rambled on.

 

“He did fail you, Father, and you have every right to be angry. But his wrongdoing does not merit death! If you really do insist on taking his life, Father.” She continued, “Then please, take mine as well.”

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Feiyan

 

Feiyan knew she had struck a chord in her father’s heart as she watched the expression change on his face. Then, he raised his sword, and the sharp edge came hurtling down towards her neck. Feiyan closed her eyes, and at the last minute, she felt Yixing’s strong arms pull her into his embrace and tuck her head against his chest. A sharp breeze blew just past Feiyan’s ear, and she heard the sound of the sword hitting against the packed dirt ground. After a few heavy moments, Feiyan cautiously peeked open one eye, and then the other. As she could have guessed, the sword had not hit her, but its tip lay buried in the ground just next to her instead. Feiyan slowly extricated herself from Yixing’s arms and looked up at her father.

 

“Father…?” She queried carefully. The emperor was silent for a moment before letting out a deep sigh.

 

“If only you had been born a son, Feiyan, perhaps you would have made an excellent general or prime minister.” He mused. Feiyan frowned in confusion as she watched the emperor pick up and sheathe his sword.

 

“Zhang Yixing.” He said, and Yixing stiffened behind Feiyan.

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.” The prince replied. The emperor leveled his gaze at the young prince.

 

“I will give my daughter some face today, and spare your life.” He said, “Do not ever forget that you owe your life to her.”

 

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Yixing replied obediently.

 

“However,” The emperor continued, “While I will spare you death, punishment cannot be avoided.” He thought for a moment before continuing.

 

“Starting from next year, the Mongol tributes will be doubled. In crops, animals, and slaves, all will be doubled for at least five years.” Feiyan’s eyes widened, but Yixing’s sharp tug on her sleeve silenced the protests rising to her lips.

 

“Will you accept this punishment, Crown Prince Yixing?” The emperor asked coldly. Yixing bowed deeply from behind Feiyan.

 

“I thank Your Majesty for your grace.” He replied. The emperor switched his gaze over to Feiyan.

 

“Are you satisfied with this, daughter?” He queried. Feiyan hesitated for a moment, then curtsied deeply.

 

“Thank you, Father.” She murmured softly, “If you will excuse me, I will take my husband back now.” She placed a hand on Yixing’s arm and gently supported him as they turned to leave the tent.

 

“Feiyan.” The emperor’s voice caused Feiyan to pause.

 

“I hope you will not come to regret your choice.” Her father warned. Feiyan bit her lip. There was no way she could answer her father for certain, but given the situation, there was only one answer she could give.

 

“I am certain I will not.” She replied, before walking forward and leading Yixing into the bright morning sun.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Yixing

 

Yixing caught the faintest hint of an amused smile on Yifan’s face as his older brother dressed the cut on his arm.

 

“What’s so funny?” Yixing asked suspiciously. Yifan chuckled.

 

“Nothing.” He replied, “I just think you’ve found yourself an interesting woman as a wife. She’s a princess, yet isn’t afraid to run straight into a military camp to save her husband and stop a war from breaking out. She speaks her mind to her father and throws herself in front of the tip of a sword. Feiyan is definitely not a typical princess.” Yixing huffed.

 

“I could have solved the situation on my own.” He insisted. Yifan raised an eyebrow.

 

“And still come out alive?” He countered. Yixing hesitated, then frowned.

 

“I suppose not.” He admitted reluctantly. Yifan laughed as he helped Yixing slide his robe back on.

 

“Admit it, Yixing.” He teased, “You need her.” Yixing’s frown deepened.

 

“I married Feiyan for political reasons, but she’s not a pawn for me to save myself all the time.” He protested.

 

“Well said.” A female voice commented, and Yixing looked up with a start to see Feiyan walk in with a tray of medicine in her hands. Yixing made a face at the dark liquid in the bowl Feiyan handed him.

 

“I could spoon feed you if you want.” Feiyan offered, a small smirk of amusement on her face. Yixing shook his head immediately.

 

“Absolutely not!” He snapped before taking the bowl and downing the medicine, barely suppressing a grimace of disgust. What would his men say about him if they heard he couldn’t even take his medicine by himself? Feiyan laughed softly as she took in his expression. Yifan grinned, and quietly excused himself from the tent. Yixing and Feiyan sat in silence for a few awkward moments before Yixing cleared his throat and spoke.

 

“Thank you.” He mumbled, “For what you did today.” Feiyan sighed quietly as she fiddled with the tray in her hands.

 

“It is part of my job to keep the peace here, isn’t it?” She asked, “Besides, I meant all the words that I said today.” She lifted her gaze up from the tray and pursed her lips together.

 

“But Yixing, are we just going to spend our lives thanking each other for the other person’s help?” She asked softly. Yixing swallowed, unsure of how to answer. Feiyan had a point; ever since they had been married, their relationship had amounted to little more than helping each other survive sudden troubles.

 

“I don’t know.” He finally replied honestly. Feiyan sighed again and stood to leave.

 

“I understand.” She said quietly. Yixing hesitated for a moment before calling out.

 

“Wait.” Feiyan paused and turned to look back at him. Yixing took a deep breath before patting the spot on the bed next to him.

 

“Do you have a little time?” He asked, “I have a story I want to tell you.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: I know this is a little short, but it'd be really long if I kept Yixing's story in this chapter! Please look forward to the next chapter, subscribe/comment if you enjoy this story!