Chapter 13

Under the Deep Blue Sky (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #1)

 

One month later, Feiyan

 

Feiyan paused as she stepped into her tent, her gaze falling on the small cage placed on the table on top of a sheet of paper. Curious, she walked over and picked up the cage. To her delight, her eyes fell on a small brown bunny inside, its pink nose twitching as it picked up her scent.

 

“Hello there little one.” Feiyan murmured, “How did you end up in here?” Her gaze switched to the sheet of paper below and picked it up curiously.

 

I came across this creature while I was hunting. It would not leave no matter what I did, so I thought it would be best to leave it with you.

 

-Yixing

 

Feiyan grinned as she reached a finger in to tickle the little bunny.

 

“How did he know I like small animals?” She mused.

 

“I didn’t.” A voice said from behind her, “It just reminded me of you.” Feiyan jumped and turned to see Yixing striding in behind her, a stack of documents in his hands.

 

“I remind you of a rabbit?” She asked in confusion. Yixing chuckled and threw her a glance over his shoulder as he went to his desk.

 

“You look fragile and delicate on the outside, but can turn vicious and attack in a second.” He replied with a cheeky smirk. Feiyan’s eyes widened.

 

“Who are you calling vicious?” She demanded with an annoyed huff. Yixing raised an eyebrow.

 

“Who else is there in the room?” He replied.

 

“Zhang Yixing!” Feiyan protested.

 

“You two sound like you’re having fun.” Yifan’s voice drew their attention, and Feiyan pouted.

 

“What nonsense.” She grumbled, “He’s calling me vicious!” Yifan chuckled and shook his head.

 

“I’m not going to interfere in what happens between a married couple.” He said, holding his hands up defensively. Feiyan saw the amusement fade from Yifan’s eyes as he turned to look at Yixing.

 

“Can you come with me for a moment?” He asked, “There’s someone you need to see.” Yixing frowned in confusion, but rose from his seat and followed his brother out. Feiyan watched them go curiously, but didn’t inquire further. In the one month that had passed, Yixing’s attitude towards her had barely changed, but for now, Feiyan was content knowing that his trust in her had grown and that he would protect her if it was necessary. Life had become peaceful in the past month, and whether Yixing did anything for her out of friendship, respect, or something else, that didn’t matter too much to her right now. She couldn’t help but think back to Yifan’s expression as he had taken Yixing to see someone who was apparently important. The elder prince had looked troubled, concerned, and confused.

 

What is going on?

 

In any case, she and Yixing were far from a relationship where he would and should tell her anything, but Feiyan felt her curiosity grow. As an experience general, it was rare for something to unnerve Yifan enough to make him troubled. Feiyan rose from her seat and gave the rabbit cage a pat before heading out of the tent.

 

There’s only one way to find out!

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Yixing

 

“You’re smiling.” Yixing looked up in surprise at the sound of Yifan’s voice.

 

“What?” He asked, taken off guard. Yifan smirked.

 

“Thinking about Feiyan?” The elder prince asked with a knowing look. Yixing blinked and looked off at the horizon instead of answering immediately. Indeed, he had been thinking of Feiyan and her expression as she played with her rabbit. He had found the animal wandering near him while he had been hunting, and decided to take it home on a whim. At the very least, it would keep Feiyan occupied for a little while. He had just been thinking of the look on her face as he had likened her to a vicious attacking rabbit when Yifan had caught him smiling.

 

I was smiling?

 

“You were imagining things.” Yixing said at last.

 

“Was I?” Yifan replied with a small grin on his lips. Before Yixing could respond, they arrived at a large group gathered near his father’s tent. As the crowd parted to let the two princes through, Yixing spotted a young woman standing near the khan.

 

Who is that?

 

The khan looked quite friendly with her, his face all smiles as he conversed with the young woman. Yixing scanned her appearance carefully. Her clothing was Tibetan, as was the long braids and beads in her hair.

 

A foreign guest? Another possible political marriage for one of us?

 

Yifan cleared his throat, and the girl turned to look at them. A big grin spread across her face as she saw Yixing, and she promptly rushed into his arms.

 

“Xing gege!” She chirped happily. Yixing froze, uncertain about what he was supposed to do.

 

“I’m sorry, but who…?” He asked, feeling quite uncomfortable at being tackled into a sudden hug. The girl released Yixing and looked up at him, her eyes glimmering slightly with happy tears.

 

“Xing gege, you don’t recognize me anymore? She asked. Yixing frowned in confusion.

 

“I’m sorry..?” He questioned. He certainly did not have any close friends from Tibet, much less someone who could freely hug him whenever she wanted. The girl smiled.

 

“I am Ruyi.” She said softly, “Your Ruyi.”

 

Yixing felt his heart drop into his stomach as he reeled slightly in shock.

 

“What did you just say?” He whispered as he shook his head, “That’s impossible!” Yixing felt a mixture of emotions well up in his chest as he looked down at his hands.

 

“I buried Ruyi with my own hands!” He said in disbelief. The girl who called herself Ruyi reached out and placed half of a jade pendant in his hands.

 

“Will you believe me if I showed you this?” She asked. Yixing looked down at the pendant and felt like he had been punched in the chest. Yes, he recognized the half pendant very well. In fact, it matched the other half of jade that he kept hidden in a locked chest in his tent. He had ordered it to be made with an imprint of a jade scepter, Ruyi’s namesake. On the back, he had arranged for her name to be carved into it. Indeed, as Yixing turned the half pendant over, he saw the worn carving of the character “Ru” on the back. He remembered that when he had buried Ruyi, her half of the pendant was nowhere to be seen. Slowly, he looked up and analyzed the girl’s features. Large inquisitive eyes, a gentle heart shaped face...in five years, surely Ruyi’s face features would have changed. But her looks were undeniably of Ming descent.

 

“How…?” He asked, sounding dazed. The girl who called herself Ruyi smiled.

 

“When I fell off the cliff while escaping from the bandits, I found myself near a body of someone who had jumped off.” She replied, “The body’s face had been mutilated, so it was unrecognizable. To save myself, I switched clothes with the body and fled. I don’t know how long I ran for, but before I knew it, I ran into a group of traveling merchants from Tibet. I passed out then, and by the time I woke up I had been taken far away from Mongol territory.” Yixing felt skeptical, but the timeline of events did line up to a certain extent. She was right, the body he had buried had had its face mutilated beyond recognition. He had only deemed it to be Ruyi based on her clothing and other features on her body.

 

“Why didn’t you ever try to contact me?” He asked. The girl sighed.

 

“I wanted to.” She replied, “But what would your people say about a girl who had spent time alone with a group of foreign men? Even if I came back, my reputation would be completely ruined, and we could never be together.” She reached out and took Yixing’s hand.

 

“I’m sorry, Xing gege.” She said softly, “The ruler of Tibet has taken me in as an adoptive daughter now, so I can be with you as much as I want. I’m sorry for making you wait. The khan has already read the letter from the Tibetan king.” Despite the natural tendency in his heart to be doubtful, Yixing felt his skepticism start to melt away. The girl gazed deeply into his eyes.

 

“Xing gege, are there still peach blossoms by the place where we used to take walks together?” She asked, “I miss seeing them.” Yixing felt his chest tighten with conviction as he heard her words, and without saying anything, he stepped forward and enveloped the girl into his embrace.

 

“Ruyi.” He murmured softly, feeling overwhelmed with emotion, “It really is you!” The peach blossom path had been his and Ruyi’s secret place. Whenever they felt happy, sad, or just wanted to take a break away from the main camp, that was where they would go as long as camp had been set up nearby. Her peach blossom perfume set his heart at ease as she returned the hug.

 

“Xing gege, I missed you so much!” She said, wrapping her arms around his waist. As Yixing let himself relax in the comfort of Ruyi’s touch, a voice spoke from behind him.

 

“Yixing?” The prince in question froze and slowly let his arms fall from Ruyi as he turned to see a confused set of dark brown eyes staring at him.

 

“Feiyan…”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Feiyan

 

It hadn’t taken too long for Feiyan to catch up to the royal brothers, but she stayed at a slight distance as she watched Yixing talk to a young woman she didn’t recognize. Perhaps she was a foreign ambassador’s daughter? Or perhaps an old friend? She watched as the girl pressed something into Yixing’s palm, and a few exchanges later, Yixing stepped forward and pulled the girl into a hug. Feiyan felt her chest tighten as they stayed in that position, beyond what could be a mere hug between friends. Steeling herself, she stepped forward and called out to her husband.

 

“Yixing?” She asked, putting on a mask of politeness as she stopped right behind him. She saw panic flit through Yifan’s eyes as Yixing let go of the girl and turn to look at her. A mixture of surprise and slight panic filled her husband’s gaze as he swallowed uncomfortably.

 

“Feiyan…” He greeted, seemingly unsure of what to say. Feiyan peered curiously at the girl as the girl put both hands on Yixing’s arm and tugged on his sleeve.

 

“Xing gege, who is this?” She asked, “I didn’t know you had a younger sister.” Yixing hesitated, but didn’t answer. Feiyan felt an ugly feeling curl up in her chest as she stepped closer.

 

“I am his wife.” She replied as she laid a hand on Yixing’s, “I am Princess Feiyan of the Ming.” The girl seemed taken aback for a moment, but smiled and bowed politely.

 

“My name is Ruyi.” She said softly. Feiyan stared at the girl for a moment as she let the short statement sink in.

 

“How…?” She looked from Yixing back to the girl and then back to Yixing in confusion. Yixing turned his body slightly so that the girl was partially shielded behind him, his hand reaching up to gently, but firmly, remove Feiyan’s hand from his hand. Feiyan felt her chest tighten at the sight, and the same ugly feeling reared up in the pit of her stomach.

 

“It turns out that she survived the attack five years ago, but was unable to return to me until now due to unavoidable circumstances.” Yixing said simply, “Now that she is back, I intend to make sure she is fully welcomed.” He reached behind him and took Ruyi’s hand.

 

“Come, Ruyi.” He said, “I would like to hear all about your experiences in the past five years.” Barely acknowledging Feiyan again, Yixing led Ruyi past her and down the hill back towards the main group of tents. Feiyan could feel the sting of rejection like a slap across her cheek, her hand growing cold where he had essentially pushed her away.

 

That’s it? Without barely an explanation, he expects me to believe that the lover he mourned for five years is suddenly back and alive and I should just accept it?

 

Feiyan’s chest felt so tight, it was as if she couldn’t breathe. Her hands trembled slightly as she carefully folded them together to keep others from noticing.

 

Why do I feel this way…?

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

It was late night by the time Feiyan decided it was time to return to the tent she shared with Yixing. She had spent most of daylight hours doing anything but returning, even if it meant spending longer hours than usual in the stable or cooking random dishes in the kitchen. Her footsteps slowed as she reached the tent flaps.

 

Why am I hesitating?

 

After another moment, Feiyan pushed open the tent flaps and stepped inside.

 

“Yixing, I brought-” She paused as she took in the scene in front of her, her hands tightening around the tray of red bean rice cakes Yixing had taken a liking to ever since she made him try one. Yixing looked up from the bed and pressed a finger to his lips. Feiyan felt go dry as she saw Ruyi lying on the bed, her head resting on Yixing’s knee while her hand grasped tightly onto his. He motioned for Feiyan to put down the food as he eased Ruyi’s head onto a pillow.

 

“Ruyi just fell asleep.” He whispered as he came to Feiyan’s side, “She’s tired from the long journey from Tibet.” Feiyan pressed her lips into a faint smile.

 

“But of course.” She replied, “Tibet is not exactly close to here.” Yixing hesitated before speaking.

 

“Feiyan, can you sleep in the tent that I originally set aside for you for a little while?” He asked, “Ruyi and I have been separated for a long time, and even though you’re my wife…” His voice trailed off, but Feiyan knew what he wanted to say.

 

Even though you’re my legal wife, it would be inconvenient and uncomfortable for you to be staying in the same tent as me right now.

 

Feiyan swallowed hard before forcing herself to continue the light smile she had kept before.

 

“Sure.” She replied, “It is not like...we particularly need to stay in the same tent.” An unfamiliar expression flashed briefly across Yixing’s eyes before he smiled in relief.

 

“Thank you, Feiyan.” He said softly, “I will have the maids bring your belongings over.” Feiyan’s heart started to pound in her chest as she bowed politely.

 

“Then, I will not continue to bother your rest.” She replied, “Please enjoy the rice cakes while they are still warm, Crown Prince.” Before Yixing could say another word, Feiyan turned and hurried away, intent on getting far away from the sight inside Yixing’s tent. She could feel the blood roaring in her ears as she sat down at the table, her hand tightly gripping the edge of the tablecloth.

 

What’s wrong with me?

 

Feiyan knew she had no right to be angry, or even annoyed. She and Yixing were married in name only, a union dictated by circumstantial necessity, nothing more. Even though they had stayed in the same tent for a little while, Yixing made a point of sleeping on the sofa while Feiyan had slept in the bed. Still, Feiyan felt an unfamiliar feeling leave a bitter taste in as she thought back to what she had seen.

 

Another woman, sleeping in her bed, on her pillow, in her husband’s tent, where he had so kindly taken care of her before...

 

Feiyan’s living situation seemed temporary, but based on the way Yixing spoke, it seemed like he was telling her to stay in a different place for a long period of time. Was he planning on…?

 

Feiyan took a shuddering breath and forced herself to calm down. It was only the first day Ruyi had arrived. It was natural that Yixing would want to take care of her.

 

I probably shouldn’t overthink the situation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Warning, there will be some angst/drama coming up in the next few chapters at least!