Chapter 10

Under the Deep Blue Sky (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #1)

Yixing

 

The soft chirping sound of birds filled Yixing’s ears as he stirred from his slumber. He frowned slightly as his fingers encountered the unfamiliar touch of long strands of hair, and his eyes flew open to find Feiyan ensconced in his arms. Her hair lay in soft waves over his hand, his arms having somehow found their way around her during the night. Yixing swallowed hard, his heart starting to hammer in his chest.

 

When did I even end up in bed?

 

For some reason though, this felt different from the last time he had woken up with Feiyan in his arms. Yixing carefully untangled his fingers from her hair and hesitated for a moment before reaching out towards Feiyan’s cheek. The young princess seemed at peace at last, her body relaxed in his embrace, completely different from her panicked ride from the night before. Yixing paused for another moment before letting the back of his hand just barely touch Feiyan’s cheek.

 

She’s different, this girl.

 

Royal women were usually more like a flower vase than human, pretty on the outside but empty on the inside. All they ever knew how to do was compete for their husband’s affections and doll themselves up from morning until night. But Feiyan...Yixing thought back to all the things she had done since they had been married. Feiyan wasn’t a mindless flower vase.

 

Perhaps she is someone worthy of taking the throne next to me.

 

For a moment, that thought flitted across Yixing’s mind, starting even himself before he chuckled softly.

 

“I’ve changed.” He commented to no one in particular. There was a rustle of movement by the tent entrance, and Yixing turned quickly to see Yifan standing just inside the tent flaps. The older prince wavered slightly as he saw the couple’s position before bowing and motioning towards outside. Yixing nodded, and began to slip out from under the covers when a grip on his arm made him stop. Yixing looked down in surprise and saw that Feiyan had latched onto his arm as he had slipped away from her, a soft pout on her lips as she clutched him tightly in her sleep. He gently reached down and slowly unwrapped her hand from his arm before tucking the blankets carefully over her. Yifan had an amused look on his face as Yixing drew a cloak over his shoulders and stepped outside.

 

“What?” Yixing queried as he spotted Yifan’s slight smile. The older prince crossed his arms and shook his head.

 

“Nothing.” He replied, “It’s just, I’ve rarely seen you act so gentle towards a woman.” Yixing frowned.

 

“She’s had a hard time, Brother.” He chided, “Since I chose to bring her back, I have to at least make sure she sleeps well.” Yixing rambled on before Yifan could ask he something else.

 

“What is wrong at this early hour?” He queried. Yifan’s smile faded, and he pulled Yixing further away from the tent entrance before answering.

 

“I’m afraid there may be a war with Ming.” He announced solemnly. For a moment, Yixing’s heart seemed to stop as he processed the sentence his brother had just said.

 

“That is not something to announce lightly, Yifan.” He said slowly, “Are you certain? How do you know?” Yifan reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper.

 

“One of our scouts delivered this personally this morning.” Yifan replied, “He described in detail the location and size of the Ming army that is coming this way.” He hesitated for another moment before continuing.

 

“And that is not all.” He added, “The Ming Emperor is coming with them as well.” Yixing quickly scanned the note Yifan had given him, and felt dread fill his chest as he confirmed that the news was true.

 

“I don’t think it takes much guessing to know who sent the emperor notice while I was otherwise preoccupied.” He said as he looked up at Yifan.

 

Zhang Yilong.

 

Yixing gritted his teeth as he tightened his grip on the paper in anger. It irritated him to no end to see that the answer was obvious, but he had no evidence to point to. But for now, there were more pressing matters to attend to than pursuing responsibility.

 

“Does Father know?” Yixing asked. Yifan nodded.

 

“He told me to bring you to his tent.” He replied. Yixing cast a quickly look behind him to confirm there was no movement from within before nodding.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Feiyan

 

The faint sounds of trunks closing and armor scraping drew Feiyan from her slumber, her eyes fluttering open to see servants hurrying around the tent as Yixing gave quiet orders nearby. The morning sunlight illuminated his figure from behind, putting him in an almost ethereal glow. She pushed up slowly from the bed, rubbing her eyes as she surveyed the situation in confusion.

 

“Yixing?” The prince turned at the sound of her voice.

 

“Good morning.” He greeted her as he came over and sat down on the bed, “I told the servants to be quiet, but it seems they didn’t do a good job at it. Did they wake you?” Feiyan shook her head.

 

“What’s going on?” She queried curiously.Yixing hesitated for a moment.

 

“I have to go on a trip for a little while.” He replied, “Diplomacy matters.” Feiyan frowned slightly.

 

“Diplomacy matters requires you to show up in battle armor?” She asked skeptically as she looked at his clothing. Yixing sighed.

 

“You must stay here and rest.” He said with an air of finality as he stood up from the bed. Feiyan reached up and grabbed onto his wrist.

 

“Is this about my father? Did something happen over in Ming?” She asked. Yixing didn’t respond, but the slight flash of alarm that went through his eyes was all Feiyan needed to see.

 

“Is he coming here?” She pressed on, “Is he bringing an army?” Yixing sighed deeply.

 

“It’s nothing I cannot handle.” He answered, “Do not worry.” Feiyan hesitated for a moment before speaking.

 

“Take me with you.” She suggested. Yixing looked down in alarm.

 

“You cannot possibly think I will agree to that.” He protested, “There might be a war!” Feiyan shook her head.

 

“You don’t think I realize that?” She countered, “But if I am there, then my father is less apt to go to the extremes. My brother died in Mongolia, but that doesn’t mean the entire country must pay the price.” Yixing wavered for a moment, then nodded.

 

“Alright.” He agreed, “But you must do as I say. Don’t be impulsive.” Feiyan nodded.

 

“I promise.”

____________________________________________________________________________

A few days later

 

Feiyan shifted uncomfortably on the saddle as the Mongol entourage traveled on the way to meet the Ming soldiers. All around her, the air was filled with the clang of armor and horse hooves mixed with the rolling wheels of supply caravans. She could feel the warmth of Yixing’s body behind her as his hands reached from behind her to hold the reins to their horse. At the same time, his arms created a protective cage that kept her from slipping off the leather saddle.

 

“You really could have just ridden in a carriage.” He reminded her again, “You’re still not very used to riding.” Feiyan shook her head.

 

“I already said that would slow things down too much.” She replied, “I’ll manage.” Yixing sighed.

 

“You’re quite stubborn, Princess.” He remarked. Feiyan bit her lip slightly. She had gotten so used to him calling her by name lately, it felt oddly strange to hear him call her by title. Given, she had done the same when they had first married, but after she had attempted to run away...something felt different. Feiyan felt Yixing turn slightly away from her as he called out behind him.

 

“It’s getting late.” He said, “Let’s prepare to set up camp up soon.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Yixing

 

A few hours later, Yixing exited his tent and paused as he saw Feiyan standing in the middle of their camp, her hand shading her eyes against the setting sun. Her slender figure looked almost dwarfed by the sun’s golden glow, her light pink dress making her look like a small flower in the midst of a field. Yixing sighed quietly.

 

How much pressure does this woman’s small shoulders have to bear? As if usually keeping the peace between the two countries wasn’t enough, now she’s taken it upon herself to keep war from breaking out.

 

He hesitated for a moment before walking over and handing her a flask.

 

“Here, have some water.” Yixing offered. Feiyan smiled slightly as she took the flask and sipped at its contents.

 

“Feiyan.” Yixing said quietly after a moment of silence, “You know, you don’t have to push yourself. Don’t keep emotions bottled up inside.” Feiyan laughed softly and shook her head.

 

“As if my screaming and crying a few nights ago wasn’t enough?” She replied, “No Yixing, I’ve decided that I’m not going to cry anymore. Crying or kicking up a fuss isn’t going to do me any good.” She tilted her head towards him and smiled softly.

 

“I choose to be strong, Zhang Yixing.” Feiyan said quietly, “I can’t guarantee I’ll succeed, but at the very least, I can try.” Yixing chuckled.

 

“You have time to learn, Feiyan.” He replied, “Now isn’t the time to rush into things.” Feiyan frowned.

 

“What do you mean?” She queried, “At the very least, I have to be strong tomorrow when we reach the Ming camp. I will speak with my royal father, and then…” Her voice trailed off as she wobbled slightly. Her eyes darted to the flask in her hand and looked back up at Yixing as she took a step back in an effort to regain her balance.

 

“Yixing, what did you…?” Feiyan’s eyes fluttered shut before she could finish her question, and Yixing darted forward as Feiyan collapsed into his arms. For a moment, he let his hand brush against her cheek as she lay in his arms, her lips parted slightly as her body fell into a deep slumber. Yixing sighed as he picked up his wife and placed her onto the bed in his tent. Feiyan hadn’t realized it, but he had picked up a packet of sleep medication before they had left home. If it worked well, Feiyan would be asleep long through the next day.

 

“Forgive me, Feiyan.” He said softly, “But there’s no way I will let you come with me tomorrow.”

 

After night fell on the Mongol army camp, a sole rider soundlessly made his way out of camp and into the surrounding forest.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Feiyan

 

“Feiyan. Feiyan!” A voice, seemingly so far away, pierced the thick veil that clouded Feiyan’s mind.

 

“Feiyan! Princess Feiyan, wake up!” The voice continued to insist. Feiyan tried to raise a hand to bat away the annoying voice’s owner, but her body felt as heavy as if it had been weighed down by stones.

 

“Feiyan!” Feiyan coughed as something was poured down , and slowly, feeling returned to her limbs. Her eyes opened to find herself sitting up in bed, Yifan’s hands squeezing her shoulders urgently.

 

“Yifan?” Feiyan rubbed at her eyes sleepily, “What is it? Did something happen?” The gears in her brain turned sluggishly as she took in the bright sunlight pouring in through the gap between the tent flaps. Most of all, there was the lack of one certain voice.

 

“Where is Yixing?” Feiyan asked. Yifan sighed.

 

“That’s what I wanted to ask you.” He said, “I went looking for him at the agreed time, but he’s nowhere to be found. Then I came in here and you wouldn’t wake up no matter what I did.” Feiyan bit her lip as she forced herself to think back to the night before. She had been talking to Yixing, he had offered her some water, and then…

 

“Yixing drugged my water.” Feiyan concluded with a deep sigh, “I fell asleep right after I drank from his flask.” Yifan groaned.

 

“Then what I feared has happened.” He concluded, “Yixing must have left camp early to go see your father all by himself. He’s going to sacrifice himself to save everyone else!” Feiyan’s eyes widened and she grabbed onto Yifan’s arm.

 

“Yifan, you know where my father’s camp is, don’t you?” She demanded, “Take me there!” Yifan frowned.

 

“But Feiyan, that place…” He protested, but Feiyan shook her head.

 

“No matter what, I must go there!”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

Yixing swallowed hard and straightened his stance in an attempt not to look nervous as he followed the Ming soldiers through the camp to a particularly large tent in the middle of the military camp. He had no doubt that the Ming emperor would be furious, and it was unlikely that he would leave the camp alive. But then, wasn’t that why he had chosen to come alone? If his death could bring a little peace, he would do it. He bit his lip and bowed respectfully in front of the tall imposing figure standing at the front of the tent.

 

“Your Majesty.” He murmured, “I have come to address my crimes.” The emperor looked slightly amused as he looked down at Yixing.

 

“Oh? What crime have you committed, Crown Prince Zhang Yixing?” He asked. Yixing swallowed hard and stared down at the ground.

 

“I...have failed to protect Prince Tianjun, and until now, have yet to find out who his killer is.” He replied, “As such, I am willing to give up my life in order to make up for the one lost.” The emperor made a small tsk sound as he shook his head.

 

“Prince Yixing, I am a fair man.” He said, “What will others say of me if I let you commit suicide just like this?” Yixing jolted as the emperor drew his sword and used the tip to lift up Yixing’s chin.

 

“I will give you a chance to save your own life.” He said, “If you win against me in martial arts, then I will spare you and your people and think of a different punishment. But if you shall lose…” The older man didn’t finish the sentence, but Yixing knew quite well what had been left unsaid.

 

If I lose, the entire Mongolia will run red with the blood of its people.

 

At the same time though, Yixing knew there was little chance he would be able to win. The Ming emperor had been hardened by many years of experience at war, and while Yixing had done his fair share of fighting, it was nothing compared to what Feiyan’s father had under his belt. Still, it was a chance, albeit a slim one.

 

“Very well, I accept.” He replied.