Chapter 20

Under the Deep Blue Sky (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #1)

 

 

Four months before winter, Yixing

 

Yixing poked his head into his tent cautiously, checking to see if Feiyan was sleeping or not. A soft smile curved across his lips as he saw his wife strolling slowly in front of one of the windows. Her brow was furrowed as she studied the book in her hand, one hand keeping the pages open while the other made slow circles on her swollen stomach. Yixing moved slowly forward before wrapping his arms around Feiyan’s shoulders, one hand plucking the book from her fingers. Feiyan yelped and turned slightly to look at him.

 

“Don’t scare me like that!” She protested, slapping him on the chest. Yixing chuckled and stole a quick kiss to seal away her protests.

 

“What are you reading that has you so focused?” He asked, peering at the book title.

 

“Medicine?” He mused, “Is something wrong with the baby?” Feiyan laughed and shook her head before closing the book.

 

“No, I was trying to see if I could find out what illness has struck the khan.” She replied, “It’s been months, but he still hasn’t improved at all!” Yixing chuckled and poked Feiyan on the nose.

 

“Silly girl.” He chided, “If even the royal physicians can’t find out what is wrong, what will your reading do?” It was true; the khan’s health was deteriorating daily, and nothing the physicians gave him were helping. Feiyan huffed and plucked the book back from him.

 

“I won’t know if I don’t try.” She replied, attempting to locate the page she had been on. Yixing grinned and pulled the book back, tossing it onto the table to keep it away from her as he ensconced her in his arms.

 

“Yixing!” Feiyan protested. Yixing smirked.

 

“What did we say about getting more rest?” He murmured. Feiyan huffed.

 

“I just took a nap after lunch!” She protested, “I can’t sleep all the time, I-” She cut off as she yawned, a soft embarrassed blush spreading across her cheeks as Yixing smiled knowingly.

 

“Who isn’t tired now?” He teased. Feiyan pouted.

 

“I cannot help it if the baby is big!” She complained as she poked at her stomach, “The child saps away my strength far too quickly! I don’t understand why I am getting this big!” Yixing chuckled.

 

“Perhaps it is twins?” He suggested. Feiyan’s jaw dropped.

 

“Don’t even joke about that!” She cried, “Having one is hard enough!” Yixing laughed and grasped her hand as she attempted to hit him lightly again.

 

“Okay, okay.” He agreed as he led her to the bed, “I won’t. Why don’t I massage your legs instead?” Feiyan hummed in approval as Yixing’s hands gently squeezed her legs, sore from the child’s increasing weight.

 

“Did you think of any names for the baby?” She asked sleepily. Yixing thought for a moment.

 

“I was thinking, if it is a boy…” He began, “We could name the baby Yijun.” Feiyan’s eyes opened, a rich mixture of emotion filling her eyes as she looked at him.

 

“How is that written?” She asked softly. Yixing took her palm and traced out the character on her hand.

 

“The ‘jun’ for a king, a ruler.” He replied, “I would like our son to be named after his uncle and take after his bravery.” Tears filled Feiyan’s eyes, which she quickly rubbed away.

 

“Oh Yixing,” She whispered as she squeezed his hand, “That’s perfect!” Yixing chuckled and kissed her gently.

 

“You do cry a lot these days.” He teased. Feiyan blushed and covered her face.

 

“Shush!” She scolded. Yixing laughed and returned to his massage.

 

“Is there a name you had in mind for a girl?” He asked. Feiyan peeked between her fingers.

 

“If it is a daughter,” She said, “I think Ruo Xue would be a fitting name. Given how the weather will be when I am due, I want our daughter to be as pure and gentle as freshly fallen snow.” Yixing smiled.

 

“That is perfect.” He agreed.

_________________________________________________________________________

 

One month later

 

All good things were fated to come to an end. Feiyan awoke one morning to the sound of the wind howling outside, the cool taste of incoming rain crisp on the tip of her tongue. The baby was unusually active, it’s little feet kicking rapidly inside Feiyan’s stomach. There was an unusual amount of activity going on outside as well, the sound of soldiers and servants running and yelling filling Feiyan’s ears. Feiyan swallowed as she felt unease rise in her chest. Yixing stirred as Feiyan pushed herself up.

 

“What’s going on?” He asked, rubbing an eye. Feiyan shook her head.

 

“I’m not sure.” She replied, “But I have a feeling it’s not good.” The sound of running feet approached the tent, and Yifan burst in.

 

“Yixing!” He cried, “Father...it’s Father!”

________________________________________

 

The khan’s tent was filled with people when Feiyan and Yixing arrived, hushed and anxious whispers filling the room. The crowd of physicians parted to let the princes past, and Yixing and his brothers fell to his knees in front of his father. Feiyan’s hands clenched as she looked at the khan. He was still, unmoving. Too still.

 

“When did…?” She eked out. The physicians shook their heads.

 

“It happened too quickly.” One said, “We came as soon as we received news that the khan was having trouble breathing but…” Feiyan sighed and reaches out to squeeze Yixing’s shoulder as she too knelt in front of the khan’s body.

 

“What caused it?” She asked, knowing that Yixing could not bring himself to inquire.

 

“We will be investigating all the khan ate and drank from yesterday on.” Another physician replied, “But for now, it seems that old age caused a simple illness to develop complications and caused his lungs to fail.” Feiyan glared at the gathered physicians.

 

“Are you saying that none of you were able to discover the complications and treat it?” She demanded. The men bowed their heads, ashamed. Feiyan huffed.

 

“Your punishments will be decided shortly.” She said, “For now, you are dismissed!” She returned her attention to Yixing, wrapping her arm around his.

 

“Are you alright?” She asked softly. Yixing kept his head bowed for a moment, then took a shuddering breath and rose to his feet.

 

“Begin preparations for my father’s funeral.” He ordered, “Tell the shaman to begin preparing for the rites as well.” Feiyan felt a mixture of pride and unease as she watched Yixing give orders. He was almost too calm, like she had been when Tianjun first died. But for now, what else could he be but calm? As they exited the tent, Feiyan and Yixing stopped as they found a large crowd kneeling at the entrance.

 

“Long live the Khan and Khatun!” They chanted. Feiyan looked at Yixing in bewilderment, but her husband took it all in stride and beckoned them to their feet.

 

“I will not disappoint you all.” He promised. He gently squeezed Feiyan’s hand.

 

“Let’s go back.” He said. Feiyan nodded, but she couldn’t help but look back at the princes as Yixing led her away. Yifan and Luhan’s expressions were that of carefully masked sorrow, while Yizhong cried while clinging onto Luhan’s arm. Yilong though...Feiyan couldn’t read his expression. His head was bowed slightly respectfully, but his bowed shoulders and furrowed brow didn’t seem natural. As their gazes locked, Feiyan felt a shiver run through her as Yilong smiled.

 

Something is definitely going on.

 

________________________________________

 

Yixing

 

Yixing sighed deeply as he returned to his tent, his shoulders slumping slightly. Feiyan reached up and gently squeezed his arm.

 

“Yixing?” She asked softly. Yixing swallowed hard and turned to sweep Feiyan into his embrace. Her soft lavender scent soothed his pounding heart, slightly easing his growing worries.

 

“Oh Yan’er.” He murmured, “I...I’m not ready to be khan yet! I’m not ready!” Feiyan sighed and gently rubbed a hand over his back before pulling away and cupping his face in her hands.

 

“You are ready!” She murmured, “You have grown and matured so much since I first met you! Don’t be afraid, because you won’t be alone. You have me, our child, Yifan, Luhan, and Yizhong.” She squeezed his hand reassuringly.

 

“You’ll be alright.” She declared firmly. Feiyan reached up and brushed a finger under Yixing’s eyes to wipe away the pooling tears.

 

“You can cry all you want in front of me.” She stated, “But when you go out there later, you must be strong. You are their ruler now, and they will look to you for guidance.” Yixing pulled her into a tight hug, his shoulders trembling as he cried softly in her arms. Feiyan gently gripped his arms, one hand patting his back soothingly. After a little while, he sighed and rested his forehead on hers.

 

“What would I do without you?” He asked, sniffling. Feiyan laughed and picked him lightly on the nose.

 

“Suffer.” She replied simply. Yixing grinned and hugged Feiyan tightly.

 

“I love you.” He murmured. Feiyan smiled and leaned her head against his chest.

 

“I love you too.” She replied softly.

 

_______________________________________________________________________

One month later, Feiyan

 

Feiyan tilted her head up and straightened her back as the loud festive music played, the red coronation dress slipping like silk over her skin as she walked down the aisle towards where two thrones sat. Yixing stood equally upright by her side, his gaze calm as the sun glittered off the gold crown on his head. To be honest, the tall crown on Feiyan’s head felt like it weighed a ton, and the heat was making the heavy coronation robes unbearable. The loud music was making the baby active, causing it to turn in little circles punctuated by light kicks from inside Feiyan’s womb. She sighed and rubbed her stomach lightly to soother her child. With the end of her pregnancy approaching, the child had settled deeper into her body, placing its weight more onto Feiyan’s lower body, and it was making her awfully uncomfortable. There was no avoiding the coronation ceremony though; the sooner it was finished, the better it would be for everyone, and the country couldn’t afford to spend much time without a ruler on the throne. Yixing squeezed her hand lightly as the coronation rites were performed over them.

 

“Are you doing okay?” He whispered. Feiyan smiled and nodded.

 

“The baby is just especially active today.” She whispered back, “It must be all the excitement.” Yixing chuckled and gently patted her belly.

 

“Be good in there.” He whispered, “It’s almost done.” Feiyan and Yixing bowed their heads as the ceremony was finally finished, and they rose to greet the gathered congregation for the first time as the officially crowned ruler and queen consort. Feiyan smiled up at Yixing as the crowd cheered loudly. Her gaze floated over the crowd to Yixing’s brothers, who were gathered near the front. A slight chill ran down her back as she looked at Yilong. Unlike the others, his face was cold and impassive. Though his hands were clapping, his expression made it clear that he would rather be anywhere else at that moment. Feiyan tore her gaze away, forcing herself to keep a smile on her face. It was not until later that night after the celebratory feast that she finally voiced her fears to Yixing. He bit his lip and thought for a moment.

 

“He has always wanted the throne.” Yixing mused, “It is not out of the ordinary that he is displeased by my succession.” Feiyan hesitated before adding another thought.

 

“But what if...he poisoned the khan?” She queried. Yixing looked up with a start.

 

“Feiyan.” He warned, “That is not something you should suggest rashly.” Feiyan shook her head.

 

“I know the physicians’ reports did not mention the possibility of poison.” She said, “But the khan’s serving maid from the night he died disappeared right after he died. Isn’t that strange? Yilong could have easily bribed the girl to put something in the khan’s food. Even if there was no poison in the food, it could have been put elsewhere.” Feiyan hesitated for another moment before continuing.

 

“Besides, both when the khan began to fall ill and the night he died...there was something strange about the way Yilong looked that night.” She added. Yixing thought for a moment before nodding in agreement.

 

“I will have a team sent out to search for the girl.” He said, “And if it was Yilong...I certainly will not spare him.”

 

“Brother.” A voice said from the entrance, and the royal couple turned to see Luhan walk in.

 

“I know it’s late,” Luhan said apologetically, “But there is something I must show you.” Feiyan and Yixing followed him to the tent that houses the army’s weapons, and Luhan led them to a table where a long sharp sword was laid out.

 

“This was found among the bandit lair that we raided last week.” Luhan explained. Feiyan watched Yixing pick up the sword and examine it carefully, his finger trailing over one spot in particular near the top.

 

“It’s Yilong’s royal crest.” He said grimly. Luhan nodded and pulled a sheet of paper from his sleeve.

 

“One of the bandits admitted that Yilong gave it to him around the time Yilong died.” He said, “He was instructed to destroy it, but the bandit thought it was too good of a weapon to waste, so he kept it.” Yixing smirked.

 

“It seems like Yilong was too confident in the bandits that he was trying to keep under his control.” He commented, “But if he gave the halberd to the bandits, then…” His gaze met with Feiyan’s, and she staggered slightly as reality hit her.

 

“Then...he likely did kill my brother.” She whispered as tears filled her eyes, “And I trusted him the whole time too!” Yixing’s arm wrapped around her waist to steady her.

 

“I’ll make him pay.” He promised, “I swear!” Feiyan nodded and rested her head on his shoulder as she closed her eyes.

 

“Luhan, find the girl who was serving Father the night he died.” Yixing ordered, “As soon as that girl is found, I am certain that we can get rid of Yilong for good.” Luhan’s eyes narrowed and he nodded.

 

“I will find her right away.” He promised.

__________________________________________________________________________

Later that night, Yixing

 

Yixing watched as Feiyan slept by his side, her hand gripping his tightly. He sighed and gently brushed away a stray strand of hair from her face. They had both had their suspicions about Tianjun’s true killer, but for Feiyan to hear it herself...he knew that it must have been hard to swallow the fact that she had trusted her brother’s killer for so long. Yixing leaned down and gently kissed Feiyan’s cheek.

 

“I swear,” He promised, “I will surely keep you and the baby safe. I won’t let any harm come to either of you.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

One week later

 

The sound of running feet drew Yixing’s attention from his sword practice, and he slipped his weapon back into its sheath as Yifan ran up to him.

 

“The girl has been found!” He gasped, “She was on the run from some masked assassins, but we took care of them!” Yixing frowned.

 

“The maid?” He asked, and Yifan nodded.

 

“Take me to her.” Yixing ordered immediately, “Who were the men chasing after her?”

 

“Bandits again.” Yifan replied as they hurried towards a large tent near the edge of camp, “They had the same tattoo as the ones we caught last time. They are likely under Yilong’s control as well.” Yixing pushed the flaps of the tent open to see a young woman cowering on the carpeted floor under the gaze of the soldiers surrounding her. A young boy, no more than two years old, clung to her sleeve, his eyes wide with shock and confusion. Yixing peered down at the girl.

 

“You are the maid who was serving my father on the night he died?” He asked. The girl shrank under Yixing’s piercing gaze and hesitated before nodding. Yixing crossed his arms.

 

“Tell me everything that happened that night.” He ordered. The girl thought for a moment before shaking her head.


“I will lose my life if I do.” She whispered. Yixing sighed in frustration.

 

“Well it didn’t seem any safer for you to stay mute outside this camp, now did it?” He demanded angrily. There was no time for him to walk in circles with this girl! Every extra second it took for him to make the girl talk was another second that Yilong could use to destroy potential evidence or flee.

 

“Perhaps I can try.” A female voice spoke from the doorway, and Yixing looked up as soldiers parted to let Feiyan pass.

 

“Yan’er, this is not the sort of place for you to be at right now.” He protested, trying to block his wife. Feiyan shook her head and laid a hand on Yixing’s wrist.

 

“Don’t worry.” She assured him, “I’m confident I can persuade her to talk. Tell the soldiers to back away.” Yixing sighed, and after another moment’s thought, he waved for the soldiers to step back. He stood at a careful distance away from the maid and Feiyan, close enough to leap in if anything went wrong, but far enough to ease the maid’s anxiety. Feiyan cautiously reached out and helped the maid to her feet. The young woman’s eyes were wide with wonder.

 

“You are...Princess Feiyan.” She whispered. Feiyan smiled faintly.

 

“I am your queen now.” She corrected gently. The maid dipped her head.

 

“Your Majesty!” She mumbled quickly. Feiyan smiled and tilted the girl’s face back up.

 

“You are an obedient girl.” She said, “You must have had a reason why you decided to take the wrong path and ended up on the run with assassins coming after you.” Her gaze switched over to the little boy clinging to the maid.

 

“Is it because of your son?” Feiyan asked softly. The maid fell silent, her arm coming to pull the boy closer to her. Feiyan reached out and gently ruffled the boy’s hair.

 

“Let me take a guess.” She said, “The child’s father is your master. You fell in love with your master and bore him a child, and thought he would truly love you in return if you helped him do whatever he wanted to obtain his goal. But in the end, he told you to hide away after the khan died, and then sent assassins after you as well. In the end, he chose to abandon you and his son after using you to achieve his ends. Am I right?” The maid trembled in front of Feiyan, the walls of her resistance, clearly beginning to fall. Feiyan sighed.

 

“There is little use in keeping silent now.” She continued, “Whether you talk now or never at all, your master will ensure that you die the moment you step out of this tent. That is, unless you tell the new khan about what your master had you do. Then, I will personally ensure that you and your son will live a new life, without fear.” Feiyan leaned a little closer to the maid.

 

“What will you choose?” She asked. Yixing watched in amazement as the maid’s resistance completely crumpled and she fell to her knees in front of Feiyan. Within a few moments of speaking, Feiyan had completely seen through the maid’s resistance and broken down the boundaries she had put up. If the same situation had happened at the beginning of their marriage, he was almost certain she would not have acted as calmly as she did now.

 

You really have matured, Feiyan.

 

“I’ll speak!” The maid cried, “But please, keep us safe!” Feiyan smiled and nodded.

 

“You have my word as the Ming princess.” She promised. The maid swallowed hard, and began to speak.

 

“My master...is Prince Yilong.” She admitted, “I have been working under him for many years, ever since he saved me from being sold into ion. If there was any time when it was inconvenient for him to do something, I would do it, no matter what it was. I originally thought it was out of loyalty to him, because he saved me before. But I….I believed in Prince Yilong’s kindness, and fell in love with him. I thought I kept it hidden well, but he somehow noticed anyway.” She wrung her hands together uncomfortably.

 

“One night, he came to me while he was drunk, and then…” The maid trailed off as she looked down at her son.

 

“When I realized I had conceived, Prince Yilong wasn’t angry. He told me he loved me too, and that when he took the throne I would become his consort. He arranged for a place for me to have the child, and he seemed so happy when he saw that it was a boy.” Tears filled the maid’s eyes.

 

“I didn’t ever hope to become his queen, I just wanted to be by his side!” She cried, “I wanted to make him happy, so I did whatever I could to help him! Even…” She hesitated before continuing.

 

“Even when he told me to put medicine into the khan’s food, little by little every day, I had a feeling that it wasn’t going to to turn out good for the khan, but I believed in his feelings for me and did it anyway. I thought he would protect me and our son until the end.” She squeezed her son’s little hand tightly.

 

“I never thought...he would try and kill me afterwards.” She whispered. Feiyan sighed and placed a hand on the girl’s shoulder.

 

“What was the medicine he told you to put in the food?” She asked. The maid reached into her pocket and pulled out a small packet.

 

“Prince Yilong told me to throw this away after the khan died, but I felt like I needed to keep a little of it behind.” She said quietly, “I crushed a little and put it into the khan’s water every day.” Yixing stepped forward and pushed Feiyan carefully behind him while he looked at the plant in the maid’s hands.

 

“It’s hemlock.” He concluded grimly, “That sick bastard! He dared to poison his own father!” Feiyan looked up at him, eyes wide.

 

“So that is why the khan’s pulse was so erratic!” She exclaimed, “There was so little, it was hard to notice right away, but it slowly built up until it killed him! But how did Yilong get his hands on hemlock?” Yixing frowned.

 

“My father has always allowed him to be in control of the trading that comes in and out of our territory.” He said, “If Yilong wanted to sneak some hemlock in among the goods, it would be an easy task.” He looked down at the maid and took the packet from her hands.

 

“Thank you for telling the truth.” He said, “I promise that you and your child will be protected.” Yixing turned and patted Feiyan on the shoulder.

 

“Go back to our tent for now.” He said. She looked up at him, her eyes wide.

 

“Where are you going?” She asked. Yixing’s eyes narrowed.

 

“To arrest Zhang Yilong.”