Chapter 21

Under the Deep Blue Sky (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #1)

 

 

Yixing

 

Servants were sent running for cover as Yixing stormed into Yilong’s quarters.

 

“Search every corner and find that bastard!” He ordered. The soldiers scattered to follow his orders, but all returned before long.

 

“Prince Yilong is nowhere to be found!” The soldiers reported. Yifan ran in as Yixing growled in annoyance.

 

“Yilong was spotted fleeing from camp on horseback!” The older prince reported, “A spy must have tipped him off!” Yixing snarled in fury.

 

“After him! And find out who the spy was!” He ordered.

 

Zhang Yilong, I’m not going to let you escape!

 

____________________________________________________________________________

The next day, early morning

 

Yixing paused as he returned to his tent, his gaze falling on Feiyan dozing at the foot of the bed. His wife had fallen asleep while waiting for him, her body leaning slightly against the bed frame. In the glittering light of the early morning sun, she looked like a doll, her long lashes lit with the golden rays of the sun, her soft pink lips parted slightly in her sleep. Despite his own exhaustion, Yixing smiled at the sight. At the very least, Feiyan was safe right now. He watched her for another moment before sitting down next to her and gently shaking Feiyan by the shoulder.

 

“Yan’er.” He murmured, “You should sleep lying down, not sitting up.” Feiyan’s eyes fluttered open, a sleepy smile crossing her face.

 

“You’re back!” She said happily. Yixing smiled faintly and nodded. Feiyan seemed to take notice of the worn expression on his face.

 

“Did you lose Yilong?” She asked quietly. Yixing sighed and nodded.

 

“He must have more allies among our people than I thought.” He said, “I lost his trail not long after he escaped. I searched the surrounding forest and the nearby camps, but I couldn’t locate him. Someone must be keeping him hidden.” Feiyan reached up and gently cupped Yixing’s face in her palm.

 

“I trust that you will find him.” She said softly. Yixing sighed and nuzzled her palm, breathing in the soothing scent of the perfume on her hands.

 

“I will keep searching for him.” He said, “But that means I will be going out every day. I’ll have less time to spend with you.” Feiyan smiled and shook her head.

 

“It’s alright.” She said, “I understand. I’m not a needy woman.” Yixing chuckled and kissed her on the forehead.

 

“I wanted to spend some more time alone with you before the baby arrives.” He said, “But it seems I won’t be able to.” Feiyan squeezed his hand gently.

 

“You’re doing this for everyone’s safety.” She replied, “That is more important than spending time with me. Even after the baby is born, we will have the rest of our lives to be together.” Yixing smiled and pulled Feiyan in for a proper kiss.

 

“You truly understand me best.” He murmured against her lips. Feiyan grinned and returned his kiss.

 

“I am your wife.” She replied, “No one can know you better than I do.” Yixing grinned and turned Feiyan around so he could wrap his arms around her waist and rest his head on her shoulder. He closed his eyes, the soft sound of Feiyan’s heartbeat against her back soothing his worried heart.

 

“So comfortable.” He mumbled. Feiyan giggles and ruffled his hair.

 

“You’re acting like a puppy.” She teased.

 

“I’m your puppy.” Yixing replied with a soft chuckle. He cracked open one eye slowly.

 

“I wanted to ask you,” He said, “How did you know that the boy was the maid’s son and was likely Yilong’s illegitimate son?” Feiyan leaned back slightly in his arms.

 

“A mother and a woman’s intuition, I suppose.” She replied, “Looking at the way the boy was clinging to her and the frightened way she held onto the child, it was the most likely conclusion. I also heard that they had been attacked by assassins, so I put the two together and made a guess.” She poked Yixing on the nose.

 

“Besides, there are two things that a woman would be willing to go very far for.” She added, “The man they love and the children they bear.” Yixing sighed and held Feiyan tighter.

 

“That child will never know who his father is.” He said, “But I will make sure that he and his mother live well.” Feiyan smiled and turned her head to give him a kiss.

 

“I know you will.” She replied softly, “But Yixing, how long are you going to hold me like this?” Yixing groaned sleepily.

 

“Just a few more minutes.” He mumbled. Before long, he knew that either Yifan or Luhan would come looking for him to discuss their next strategy to find Yilong. But for now, with Feiyan safely tucked in his arms, he could at least gain a few moments of peace.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

One month later, Feiyan

 

Feiyan awoke in the early hours of the morning to the sound of the wind howling outside the tent. She closed her eyes and attempted to go back to sleep, but the continuous wind blew her sleep away with it. The baby had also dropped a few days ago, meaning that its weight inside her was pressed increasingly more on her lower body and back, making it nearly impossible to find a comfortable position to sleep in once she had woken up. Feiyan sighed and carefully pushed Yixing’s arm off her before slipping out of bed and padding to the window. The world outside had turned into a pure white landscape, and the wind was only bringing down more snow with it. Feiyan felt a flurry of kicks from inside her, and she smiled as she rubbed her rounded stomach.

 

“Good morning, baby.” She said softly, “You’ll be here any day now, aren’t you?” A tiny fist connected with her palm in response, causing Feiyan to smile wider. The thought of the impending birth made her nervous, but excited at the same time. She couldn’t wait until she could hold her first child in her arms and teach it all that it needed to know to survive in their world. A soft twinge tightened across her stomach, causing Feiyan to flinch. She bit her lip and rubbed the underside of her stomach.

 

“I didn’t mean today, you know.” She murmured, “Don’t come today, okay? The weather is not suitable for you to arrive yet.” Although she had expected to be due by the first snowfall, a snowstorm was hardly proper weather for a child to be born.

 

“Feiyan?” Yixing’s sleepy voice drew her attention, and Feiyan turned to see Yixing sitting up in bed, rubbing one eye like a child. She giggled softly.

 

“Good morning, my love.” She called, “Did I wake you up?” Yixing shook his head.

 

“The wind hasn’t allowed me to sleep deeply.” He replied as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed and came over to join her. Feiyan smiled as he wrapped his arms around her from behind.

 

“What are you doing up?” He asked. Feiyan pointed out the window.

 

“Enjoying the view.” She replied. Yixing hummed softly in approval.

 

“You’d best stay inside today.” He said, “It looks nice, but it’ll be freezing with all that wind.” Feiyan laughed softly.

 

“I know.” She replied, “You act like I haven’t seen snow before.” Yixing grinned.

 

“An extra warning can’t hurt.” He replied, “It would be bad if you fell and hurt yourself and the baby.” Feiyan grinned and turned to wrap her arms around Yixing’s neck.

 

“Sometimes I wonder, are you more worried about me or the baby?” She asked teasingly. Yixing chuckled and kissed her on the lips.

 

“Are you getting jealous of your own baby?” He asked with a smirk. Feiyan laughed.

 

“Well, that will depend on how you act.” She replied, “I’m the one carrying the baby until birth. I think I deserve proper affection even afterwards.” Yixing laughed and kissed her again.

 

“That you do.” He agreed. Yixing ensconced Feiyan in his arms, and Feiyan closed her eyes contentedly. For a few minutes, they stood in that position, enjoying the warmth of each other’s company in the stillness of the early morning. Then, Feiyan winced as she felt another pain tighten across her abdomen. Yixing looked down at her in alarm as he felt it too.

 

“What was that?” He asked, concerned. Feiyan shook her head as the pain faded away.

 

“It’s nothing.” She assured him, “It’s just a practice contraction, it’s been happening for the past month already.” Yixing raised an eyebrow.

 

“Are you sure?” He asked skeptically. Feiyan smiled and nodded.

 

“I’m certain.” She replied. Before Yixing could protest, Feiyan heard the sound of feet moving quickly through the falling snow in their direction.

 

“We have a visitor.” She commented. Yixing sighed.

 

“At this hour, it can’t be a good thing.” He replied. The royal couple turned as Yifan shuffled in and shook snow off his shoes.

 

“Bad news?” Yixing asked, taking in his brother’s grim expression. Yifan nodded.

 

“There’s been an attack on one of the camps on the edge of our territory.” He said, “A survivor reported that he saw soldiers carrying Yilong’s emblem.” Yixing let out a deep growl.

 

“That bastard.” He growled, “He’s launching a full out revolt!” Feiyan clenched her hands together tightly. Yilong had been lying low for the past month, always switching locations to hide whenever Yixing got close. But now...

 

A full out revolt? That means he intends to make a direct grab for the throne! Which also means...his first goal will be to take Yixing’s life!

 

Yixing sighed and took Feiyan by the shoulders.

 

“Will you be okay here alone?” He asked, “I’m going to have to hold a meeting with the court officials and the army generals immediately.” Feiyan nodded and squeezed his hand gently.

 

“Go on.” She replied, “I’ll be here waiting. If you have to head out to meet him, send a message for me first.” Yixing nodded and pressed a quick kiss to her forehead before heading for the door. Feiyan called out to him before he could leave.

 

“Yixing!” He turned at the sound of her voice, and Feiyan forced the worry from her face before smiling.

 

“Stay safe.” She said softly. Yixing smiled and nodded.

 

“I will.” He promised, and disappeared into the winter storm.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A few hours later, Yixing

 

Yixing frowned as he looked over the reports of the attacks spread out in front of him. Yilong’s attacks had started from the back of their territory, and were steadily moving forward. If his older brother kept moving at the pace he did, then he was on a direct path to the main camp, and it wouldn’t take long for him to arrive.

 

“I’ll have to cut him off before he arrives.” Yixing decided. Yifan frowned.

 

“But what if those attacks are decoys?” He countered, “Yilong could be sending some of his troops to the edges of our territory to distract us while the majority of his army is heading for the main camp.” Yixing thought for a moment, and nodded.


“That’s a good point.” He agreed.

 

“I can take some men and investigate the attacks at the edge of our territory.” Luhan offered, “That way, the main camp will not be left unguarded, and both Yixing and Yifan can stay behind.” Yixing frowned.

 

“That will be very dangerous, Luhan.” He cautioned, “Yilong likely has traps set up waiting for you over there.” Luhan smiled.

 

“Don’t worry, Brother.” He said, “I’ve spent a good amount of my life on the battlefield. I’m certain I can defeat whoever Yilong has set up over there.” Yixing sighed and nodded.

 

“Very well, if you insist.” He agreed, “But in the meantime, we will have to split up the men that we have here. Some will have to stay behind to guard the main camp while I bring the majority to meet with Yilong, should he decide to launch a frontal attack. In that case…” His voice trailed off as a maid came stumbling into the tent, looking like she was about to fall over on her feet.

 

“Your Majesty!” She gasped. Yixing’s eyes widened.

 

“Ping’er?” He said in confusion, “What are you doing here? You should be with Feiyan!” The young girl’s eyes were wide.

 

“The queen was in the library reading.” She said, “Feng’er and I both smelled something strange, and then we both fell asleep. When we woke up…” Her expression looked terrified.

 

“The queen was gone! We searched the entire camp, but she’s nowhere to be found!” She cried. Yixing’s eyes widened.

 

“What did you just say?!”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

One hour ago, Feiyan

 

Feiyan yawned as she idly flipped a page in the book she was attempting to read. She had quickly grown bored while waiting for news to come from Yixing, and decided to go read when the snowstorm died down a little. Even so, her mind still wandered as she attempted to read. Her eyes skimmed over the words, but little actually got across to the young queen.

 

I wonder if Yixing is okay...does this mean he has to go to war?

 

She sighed and closed the book before replacing it on the shelf. The baby kicked, causing Feiyan to smile ruefully and gently run her hands over her stomach.

 

“Are you worried about your father too?” She asked, “I’d like to know what he’s doing, but I don’t want to bother him.” Her stomach tightened slightly as she spoke, causing Feiyan to wince again. Her stomach had continued cramping every now and then ever since Yixing had been called away, and Feiyan was starting to wonder if it was time to ask for a midwife, or at least a physician to check on her. Feiyan sighed again and headed out to the front of the library to find her maids, but she stopped short as she saw both maids sprawled unconscious over the table in the center of the room.

 

“Ping’er? Feng’er?” She called, but neither girl moved. Feiyan felt her heart freeze as she looked carefully around her surroundings, not daring to even move. Something was definitely off. A chill ran down her back as an all too familiar voice spoke.

 

“Don’t worry, they are only sleeping.” Feiyan felt a scowl spread over her face as a familiar figure stepped out from behind one of the shelves.

 

“Zhang Yilong.” She growled. Yilong smirked.

 

“Is that how you greet an old friend?” He asked. Feiyan frowned, her hands clenching into fists.

 

“We are not friends.” She snapped, “You killed my brother and tricked me into trusting you! And now you have the audacity to openly walk in here?” Yilong shrugged nonchalantly.

 

“My people were more than willing to let me in. And indeed, I did kill Tianjun.” He admitted freely, “My plan was moving along just fine, when you had to go and save my useless brother.”

 

“Yixing is not useless!” Feiyan growled. Yilong shrugged again.

 

“Say what you like, Feiyan.” He replied, “But very soon, you will see who truly deserves to be the ruler of Mongolia.” Before Feiyan could ask what he meant, something hard hit her on the back of her head, and everything went black.

 

___________________________________________________________________________

Some time later

 

Feiyan’s eyes fluttered open slowly, a dull ache throbbing on the back of her head. She heard the sound of hoofbeats nearby, and as her eyes slowly adjusted to her surroundings, Feiyan realized that she was in a moving horse carriage. She moved slightly to check on her baby, and found that her wrists were bound together in front of her. As if sensing its mother’s worry, the baby moved slightly within Feiyan, as if to reassure her of its safety. Feiyan sighed softly in relief. At least her child was safe. But where was she? She reached out carefully and pushed back the window curtain slightly to peek outside. All she could see were snow covered trees rushing past, and a sliver of a dirt road below her.

 

I must be in the forest outside the main camp. But how did I get here?

 

Feiyan thought back to what had happened before she out.

 

Zhang Yilong!

 

Before long, the carriage slowed to a stop, and the curtain blocking off the front of the carriage slipped open to reveal Yilong.

 

“Ah, I see you are awake.” He said, “Did you have a nice nap?” Feiyan growled.

 

“Where are you taking me?” She demanded. Yilong smirked.

 

“We’ve already arrived.” He said, “We have traveled for hours far into the forest surrounding the main camp. Now all that we need to do is wait for Zhang Yixing to arrive.”

 

“You’re using me as bait?” Feiyan said incredulously, “Yixing wouldn’t leave a battle for me alone.” Yilong chuckled and shook his head as he stepped into the carriage.

 

“Silly little Feiyan.” He cooed, “You have no idea how important you are to the men here.” Feiyan flinched as he reached out and took her by the chin.

 

“Did you know?” He asked, “I was the one who first asked my father to arrange my marriage to you. But he refused. He said that if anyone was going to marry a foreign princess, it would be the crown prince, not me.” Feiyan shrank back as he leaned closer.

 

“Imagine.” He said, “If my fool of a father had listened to me, what would our reality have been like now? I would have been the one to take the throne, and you would be my queen. The child you are carrying would be mine, and we would create a new Mongol empire with our own hands.” Feiyan curled her lip in disgust as Yilong laughed at the thought of what could have been.

 

“That is what could have been.” She replied coldly, “It is not what happened, and it never will be. You are a greedy man, Zhang Yilong, and I would have never taken your hand in marriage.” Yilong laughed again.

 

“Perhaps, princess.” He replied, “But you took my brother’s hand in marriage because you had no choice, and you would have done the same with me. You are a smart woman, after all.” He held out a hand towards Feiyan.

 

“I will give you a chance to choose again.” He said, “Take my hand and become my woman, and together we will create a limitless future for the Mongol people.” Feiyan growled and slapped his hand away as best as she could with her wrists bound.

 

“I would rather follow Yixing to the grave than to join hands with you.” She snarled. Yilong smirked.

 

“Being stubborn? Very well.” He said, “In that case, just sit tight here while I go and kill your useless husband, and take back all that should be mine!” A soldier appeared by the carriage door.

 

“My lord, the khan was spotted leaving camp a little while ago.” He reported, “It seems like he is headed in this direction.” Yilong smiled.

 

“Perfect.” He purred. Feiyan flinched as he reached out and ran a finger down Feiyan’s cheek.

 

“Xu Feiyan, you’d best hope that the child in your womb is a girl.” He said coldly, “If it is a boy, I will ensure that the child never sees the next sunrise.” Feiyan gasped, her arms encircling her stomach as if she could protect her child from hearing Yilong’s cruel words.

 

“You are a monster!” She cried. Yilong smirked.

 

“A person can only maintain power by being a monster in this world.” He replied before slipping out of the carriage.

 

“There is no need to guard the princess!” Feiyan heard him order, “She would not dare to run away in her condition. Men, come with me to defeat Zhang Yixing!” A triumphant roar could be heard through the carriage walls, and before long, hoofbeats signaled the men galloping away. Feiyan peered cautiously through the carriage curtain to ensure that the surrounding area was empty before blowing out her breath in relief. At last, Yilong and his men had left her alone. But at the same time, that meant that he and Yixing were headed straight for a direct confrontation! Feiyan clenched her hands tightly together in worry. She trusted Yixing’s fighting abilities, but Yilong was more crafty than Yixing could be. It was hard to guess what cards he had up his sleeve. Feiyan bit back a soft gasp as her stomach tightened, as it had been doing while Yilong had been talking. She breathed slowly through it, one hand rubbing her stomach soothingly as the baby kicked in confusion at its shrinking home. As the pain faded away, Feiyan closed her eyes and leaned back against her seat. There was no way she could doubt it now; the pains she had been feeling all day had been contractions. And that could only mean one thing.

 

The baby is coming!

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

A whirlwind of thoughts and emotions swirled through Yixing as he galloped through the forest, his heart clenching tightly with worry.The snowstorm had picked up again, the strong winds turning the snow into sharp pellets that cut into his skin, but Yixing barely noticed.

 

If Yilong dares to harm Feiyan, I swear…!

 

Yixing knew he was essentially walking into a trap. Yilong had left a letter for him, telling him to return to the place where they had once practiced martial arts as children. It was an understatement to say that the location was easy to remember. A long time ago, there had been far less animosity between the brothers, and they had spent many hours playing warfare with each other. Perhaps Yixing could even say they had been friends then. But that was before Yixing and Yilong’s mothers had died, before Yixing had been named crown prince, and before all the events that came afterwards had happened. Now, there was only one road to take to the brothers’ future.

 

Zhang Yilong, only one of us can live!

 

Yixing pulled his horse to a stop as a rider appeared ahead of him in the swirling snow. His eyes narrowed as he recognized the man. Yilong mockingly gave him a bow.

 

“Your Majesty.” He said coldly, a smirk on his lips. Yixing gripped the reins tightly, barely able to keep himself from attacking Yilong right then and there.

 

“Where is Feiyan?” He demanded.

 

“Relax, brother.” Yilong replied calmly, “She is safe and sound...for now. Whether she stays that way depends on you.” Yixing growled.

 

“I will rip you to shreds if you dare to harm a hair on her head!” He snarled. Yilong chuckled.

 

“Go ahead and try.” He replied, “Only one of us will survive today, Zhang Yixing, and I fully intend for that person to be me. In the meantime, my men will swarm the main camp and destroy whatever forces Zhang Yifan has under his control.” Yixing’s eyes narrowed.

 

“You really do have spies everywhere.” He commented. Yilong laughed.

 

“But of course! How can I obtain power without a strong information network?” He answered. Yilong unsheathed his sword and pointed it at Yixing.

 

“I challenge you to a fight, Zhang Yixing.” He declared, “A fight for the throne, and a fight for the country.” Yixing smirked and unsheathed his sword as well.

 

“Very well.” He replied, “I accept your challenge.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Feiyan

 

Feiyan bit back a groan as another contraction wrapped around her belly, her hands clenching with the effort to muffle her cries. Of course, that was easier said than done, with each pain coming stronger than the one before it. How long had it been since Yilong had left her? Feiyan had long since lost track, but she knew it was better not to draw attention to herself. While Yilong’s soldiers were nowhere in sight, there was no way to know for sure whether there were any hiding amongst the trees.

 

“Why can’t you wait a little longer?” She whispered as she ran a hand over her stomach. The longer the child stayed inside of her, the safer it would be, but it seemed like things were not going to go her way. The stress of the ongoing events and her worry over Yixing had only moved her labor along faster, and Feiyan knew it wouldn’t be long before her child arrived in the world. Still, her mind wandered towards her husband. Yilong and Yixing were probably fighting already, and who knew what was going on at the main camp? Feiyan had rarely felt so useless; her husband was fighting for his life, and here she was, sitting uselessly in a carriage, with nothing to do but breathe through her contractions. Yilong had been right about one thing; she wouldn’t, and couldn’t, risk running away from her current location. With the snow raging increasingly faster outside, if Feiyan attempted to leave now, her baby would most likely be born outside in the freezing cold! As if reading her mind, another contraction peaked with full force, and Feiyan gritted her teeth as she felt enormous pressure building in her lower body. Before she could catch her breath though, the pressure suddenly released, and Feiyan gasped as she felt something wet trickle and then rush down her leg. Her heart began to pound as she looked down between her legs to see clear fluid pooling on the carriage floor.

 

My water…!

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Any guesses on the baby's gender?~