Strange Feelings pt. 2

The Last of Us

BAEKHYUN’S P.O.V

                I turned around and watched Areum sleeping at the back seat. I was in awe. She was so beautiful. I wonder if she thought everything I said was a lie. No, I wasn’t lying. It’s funny to fall in love with someone you just met early in the morning, but it could happen to anybody. If she were to become my girlfriend, I’d be the happiest guy in the world. She had a petite figure, she looked so cute with that height. She looked so soft even in her sleep. She looked so calm-

                “Hyung, what are you doing?” Sehun said, he glanced sideways towards me as he was driving. The traffic was kind of stuck since that’s recess time.

                “Nothing. Just watching Areum sleep.” I said, still looking at Areum, admiring her beauty. She’s a fallen angel maybe, I thought.

                “Still sleeping? Sleeping beauty, eh?” Sehun chuckled.

                I glared at him and quickly leaned again the back of my seat. “I make her fall asleep so that I can talk to you.”

                Sehun, who had a faint smile on his face, automatically frown. “What do you want to talk to me about? You never use your power towards anyone, except our members, only when they start to become annoying. So, what’s the problem? Does she annoy you?”

                i ignored his questions. “Why didn’t you take your breakfast? I see you’ve been avoiding your meal for days and try to survive with human food only. Do you forget whom you really are?”

                “I eat all the time, okay? You know I love food, right? There’s no way I would not eat for days, come on!” He laughed.

                I stared at him, knowing that when I did this, he would eventually tell me the truth. So I stared, and stared. He sighed, taking a deep breath. There you go, I said internally.

                “I-I just want to know how does it feel to live like a human. Like a normal human.”

                “You’re not turning into a bat at night, so you are a human.”

                “I am NOT,” he emphasized, “a human. I am one of the undead. I’m not breathing. You’re not breathing. We don’t feel cold. We don’t have heartbeats. We aren’t human, hyung.” He sighed again, and when I thought he was done, he talked again.

                “We never fell like a human for once, Baekhyun hyung. Yeah, sure, we’re not like the others who can’t bear walking under the sunlight. We’re considered as special. But we're the same like the other vampires. Turning into beasts in a split second. I’m tired, of becoming a beast when I’m hungry.” Sehun closed his eyes for a while, and opened them again. His mouth was set into a thin line.

                “But you can’t change your nature like that. We’re vampires, okay? We need blood. Maybe you think, ‘oh yeah, it’s fine I can do this, I can become a human’, but you know what could happen if you’re too hungry, right? You could end up killing people, and you of course, don’t want that to happen forever and ever. At least, we don’t drink human blood, okay? We drink animals’. Got it?”

                He didn’t say a word. Instead, he was totally focused in his driving. After the moment of silence, he parked the car in the basement of a shopping complex.

                “Where are you going? I thought you wanna send Areum home.” My eyebrows furrowed, not remembering anything.

                “Areum lost her phone, right? So I’m buying her a new one. Are you going to follow me or not?” Sehun looked impatient.

                “Ah….sure. I’m going to follow you.” I got out from the passenger’s seat to find him looking at me with his right eyebrows quirked. Oh yeah, right. Areum’s still sleeping. I opened the door to her seat and touched her forehead lightly. A moment later, her eyes fluttered open.

AREUM’S P.O.V

                I was in the middle of nowhere, alone, in the total darkness. I tried to reach for something to hold onto, but all I could feel that time was only the feeling of floating in a hollow space. No gravitational force acting on me. And that time, suddenly, I heard someone’s voice. At first it wasn’t familiar at all. I couldn’t recognized the owner of it. After listening harder, I realized it was Baekhyun’s. And then there’s a pool of light formed on the black surface, urging me to walk towards it. And, my eyes fluttered open, leaving me in confusion. And I relaxed again, after I felt Baekhyun’s hand on my forehead, telling me everything was now real and it wasn’t a dream anymore.

                “Oh thank you for giving me a ride home,” I said before I looked around and I realized that it wasn’t my little house. “Wait, where am I? I thought-“

                “Let’s go, Areum.” Sehun, coming from nowhere, quickly grab my hand, small hand in big hand, and pulled me, forcing me to follow him. Baekhyun just shook his head, walking after us.

                We walked so quickly when we suddenly stopped in front of a mobile phone shop. It was that moment when I realized I lost my phone already. Sehun took a look at the glass box with latest and pricey mobile phones. I automatically shrunken when I saw the price of the mobile phone I was lowkey hoping to buy. ‘Even three months of salary couldn’t afford that’, I sighed softly.

                “Hello, sir. May I help-Oh Sehun?! H-hello, welcome to our shop. How can I help you sir? We would give you the best treat ever. I-“ Before the salesgirl started to scream in a higher note, she suddenly stopped. She stared directly into Sehun’s eyes, with Sehun’s not blinking at all. She was all silent for a few second before she talked again, looking calmer.

                “Do you like anything here? I can assist you with it.”

                Sehun looked at me and smiled, a ghost of a smile. “I’m looking for a latest mobile phone for my girlfriend here. You know, she lost her phone so she needs a new one.” He grinned towards the salesgirl. The salesgirl smiled in awe.

                “You’re so lucky, miss. You have a very nice boyfriend. I would kill to have one,” she laughed softly, “so, miss, please take a look at the smart phones.”

                I blinked, kind of confused of what was happening that time. I looked at Sehun, waiting for an explanation. “I told you, it’s fine. Maybe I left mine at my house. I was rushing to my workplace, remember? So there’s no need for a new phone. Now, let’s go home.”

                I was pulling him by his coat and he didn’t budge for even one inch. ‘Wow, this guy here sure is strong’, I thought. Well back in high school, I could be consider as a strong girl. I could push everyone, even guys, with such strength that they could fall on their butts so easily.

                Sehun quickly called for the salesgirl and said something. I pouted, crossing my arms across my chest. Of course, deep down in my heart, I want the Samsung S7 Edge. It’s so beautiful. But it’s better if I bought it myself. I mean, I will love it and take care of it like my own life-

                Something cold was placed on my hand. I quickly took a look at my hand. That’s it. The phone I was dreaming of. Its screen was shining when the bright light hit it. Oh my god. This can’t be it. He needed to stop.

                “Sehun, it’s okay. I can buy this myself. Keep your money to yourself. I feel like I’m burdensome. I could work so it’s fine. Please, take it.”

                Sehun hid his hands in his pocket. “No. Keep it. If you want to be our friend, so you have to accept my gift. Consider this as a… welcoming gift.”

                “But-“

                “Come on. Let’s get you home.”

                Baekhyun nudged me with his elbow, raising his eyebrows. “You know, it’s not easy for him to buy people gifts. You better keep his gift. He was well-known as a stingy person among our members.”

                I smiled. What will he do after this?

                When we were on our way home, again, the car was filled with silence. After I got out from the car, Sehun and Baekhyun bid their goodbyes and they left. Leaving me alone, still staring at the new phone in my hand. ‘He doesn’t have to do this,’ I said to myself. And I remembered my old boyfriend. He never bought this kind of things before. While stranger whom I just met this morning had spent a lot of money for me. I didn’t even know if I should be thankful or feel guilty of what had happened today. Maybe, there’s a meaning behind all of this.

                I got into my house, took a bath and realizing it was close to 7, I cooked my dinner and then prepared my things for classes tomorrow. My phone buzzed. Oh Sehun. When did he got my num- wait. I lost my phone…of course, along with the SIM card…how did he manage to text me?

              Hello, Areum. It’s me, Sehun. If you’re wondering how come I have your number, let me tell you, it’s a new phone, with a new SIM card. Only me and your family members are allowed to have this number, got it? No one can have it, not even Baekhyun. If you want to contact the EXO members, I’d give you another phone, with your old number. That one, you can use it to call anyone.  Keep this number a secret. – Sehun”

                Eh, he even saved his number here. Well…

                I found my old phone. It was under the bed, so no need for another new phone. You’ve sacrificed a lot. Gotta go, I need to sleep now. Got classes tomorrow. Bye! – Areum”

                “Sure thing. Sleep well. Sweet dreams, my sweetheart. – Sehun”

                Wow. Sweetheart? That was unexpected. With the thoughts still filling my mind, I finally fell asleep, sleeping soundly after a long day with my biases.