First Threat

The Last of Us

AREUM’S P.O.V

                Hours passes. He told me everything about his past. How he become a vampire, about his high school life, his university life and things. He didn’t ask to be born in a vampire family. It was that his grandfather married a vampire accidentally and she gave birth to Sehun’s dad. Since vampires are immortal, his grandfather has passed away while his grandmother is still alive, doesn’t look any older than his own mother. His mother is also a vampire. So, that’s why he’s a pure breed, not a half-breed. While the other EXO members are either half-breed or bitten by one.

                But the most interesting thing about his past is about Song Seung Wan. I wonder how does a woman that bad can have the best guy? What did she do to make him fall in love with her? I sigh. Sometimes, it’s true that love’s blind.

                “Areum, do you have anything to tell me about your past too?”

                His question wakes me up from my reverie. Upon hearing his enquiry, my mind automatically searches for anything I haven’t tell him yet. If he’s being honest about everything, why should I hide something from him? It’s not fair to do so. And I finally found something that I hide not only from him, but from Irene, my best friend too. I never tell anyone about it. After wondering if I should tell him that, I finally make up my mind.

                “Remember when I told you about my dad?”

                He looks dumbfounded before he finally nods. “You told me and Baekhyun that your dad was involved in a car accident and he was killed on the spot.”

                I take a deep breath and look into his eyes, searching for strength. I’m not lying that I’m actually embarrassed to tell this towards someone that’s so important for me. What if he thought that I’m using him for my own comfort? Which is something I have never think of.

                “Actually he didn’t die in a car accident. In fact, there has never been a car accident involving him. I thought I’d never have to tell anyone about this but….huh. Let’s get straight to the point. The truth is my dad is a gambler. He used all his money to gamble. He even asked mom for money. He always lost but he never took it as a lesson. Instead, he gambled more and more. Until we’re announced bankrupt. He was upset and told us he would get us out from that condition. I thought he was going to find a job and gain money but nope, he continues to gamble. He thought he’s going to get a lot of money without having to work hard. He had a debt with those gangsters or that kind of person. He left. He left us with his debt. We really had no time to mourn over what he did. Instead, my mom worked for us. She had like three jobs every day. She worked very hard I admit. Until she fell sick. Thank goodness we managed to pay dad’s debt. But then we’re facing another difficulty. That’s why I’m working so hard even though I’m busy studying. Because I want to cure my mom so she’d become healthy again. And I also have to take care of my siblings. They’re so clever, I want them to study to the highest level, so that they won’t have to live this kind of life anymore.” Without me realizing, I cry silently. Tears are rolling down my cheeks when Sehun wipes it with his thumb.

                He is crying too.

                “Areum, if there’s anything you need help with, just tell me. Oh God, I’m so sorry. I’ve never thought my angel here has gone through a lot. Forgive me, Areum. I should’ve known about it. I shouldn’t have let you suffer.” He puts his face in my hands.

                I his cheeks as I wave away all his apologies.

                “You know what, Sehun? You becoming my angel is enough for me. I’m not your angel, but you’re mine. Don’t bother to apologize, because you’re my guardian angel, and you’ve done a lot for me, without you realizing it.”

                He kisses me forehead, giving me a very bright smile although traces of tears are still visible on his cheeks.

                “Thank you, Areum. Thank you.”

                My phone rings. As I don’t want the phone call to interrupt our perfect moment, I just ignore the ringing phone and hug Sehun tightly, as he is still sobbing lightly. But the phone rings again.

                “~geumanhae I don’t recall~”

                “Hello.” I answer the phone call without looking at the caller’s ID. I am actually upset that our moments together is being interrupted only by someone who’s calling at a wrong moment. I mean, can’t you just text me? I’d reply to it later.

                “Hello, Areum.”

                Eh? Who’s calling me? It’s not Irene’s voice. I pull the phone away from my ear and look at the caller ID. Unknown number? Did my sister change her number without telling me? Impossible.

               “Yes, I’m here. Who are you? Where did you get my number?” I don’t know why but anxiety is pricking my tummy. A sharp, high-pitched laugh is heard. Why? Are my questions that funny?

                “That’s not important compared to what I’m going to tell you, . Oh, I forget to ask you. Your mother is very sick, right? It’d be nice for you, to come back here and see her, before she dies.”

                My hands are shaking and they got really sweaty. What does she mean?

                “What do you mean…”

                “I’m here, in Busan. Mrs Baek is sleeping now. I gave her something, but don’t worry, you’ll have enough time to drive from Seoul and see her. And you better hurry too, you might lose the chance to see her talk for the last time.” She hangs up.

                I quickly shove my phone in front of Sehun. “S-Sehun, do you know t-this number?”

                He takes his iPhone and quickly dials the number. His face ashen.

                “Wendy. What did she tell you?” His voice is tense.

                “S-She t-told me, s-she’s in B-Busan. She gave m-my mom something. And if w-we don’t get t-there quickly, my mom w-would die!” I burst into tears, unable to hold it back anymore. Anxiety, anger, sadness, are mixed up.

                “Let’s go.” He quickly slams the accelerator, not wasting any more time.