Worst (Best) day ever (?)

The Last of Us

I opened my eyes and closed them again as the blinding light was piercing my eyes. My head hurt so much too. ‘Uh? What happened to me?’, I held my head, kind of massaging my temples, as if it could get rid the pounding headache. I opened it again and there were two shadows hovering over me. Eh?  My eyes sprung open and my heart  stopped momentarily. I tried to think about everything that had happened to me and I sighed when I finally remember what happened.

                “So it’s not a dream…” I mumbled, hoping that both of those tall figures beside me wouldn’t hear it.

                “Areum-ah, are you okay? You passed out just now. You’ve been ‘sleeping’,” Baekhyun formed the apostrophe sign with his fingers, “for maybe one hour or more.”

                “EH? One hour?” I yelled unintentionally. I took a look at my watch and it’s almost 9.30 am. I scrambled to my feet and a wash of dizziness had me staggering. I almost fell on my when a muscular arm caught me easily as if I’m a feather. Is it because he’s too strong? Or maybe I’m too thin? I looked at my body and smiled faintly. ‘No wonder he could catch me easily, I’m so thin now’, I said internally. Maybe I’m too busy these days.

                “Are you okay?” Another voice deeper than Baekhyun, asked with a hint of faint amusement.  Oh Sehun. His forehead was decorated with wrinkles that were barely visible. But still, he’s looking good. I was staring at his face to the extent that I thought I could burn holes through his head when I cold palm was placed on my forehead.

                After realizing what was happening, I quickly jerked away from his touch. “I-I’m fine. Thank you. You can leave, and sorry for taking your time." I looked around and then frowned as I got the feeling of unfamiliarity.

                “Where am I?” I asked, still looking around.

                “You’re at a hospital. Don’t worry we’ll pay for everything, as long as you’re fine.” They smiled, showing their perfectly arranged teeth.

                “But seriously you should go, I can go to work on my own. You have an event and you don’t want to be late, aren’t you?” I pushed them softly, wanting them to leave.

                “Yah, Areum! You just woke up from fainting and you want to go to work? Have you lost your mind? You can’t go to work, not today!” Sehun insisted. I looked at Baekhyun, he nodded in agreement. “Yeah, Areum. Sehun’s right. Not today.”

                “But I’ve been late for days and if I didn’t go to work today, I’m going to be fired.” My voice almost rose into a scream.

                A nurse came into the room with a tray. She was smiling so wide I thought her cheeks were tore, as if she was very happy to see me. Then I saw the direction she was looking at. Sehun and Baekhyun. Lol of course she’s excited to see them like come on, they’re idols that most girls are dying to meet and….live with…?

                “Oh, you’re conscious, Miss Areum! Sehun oppa – Mr Sehun and Mr Baekhyun brought you here. You looked horrible by then. Here, you should eat.” She put the tray filled with food on the small table in front of me.

                “Is she okay, nurse?” Sehun asked, looking concerned with my condition. But he didn’t stop looking at me even for a second.

                The nurse, with a smile stamped on her face, answered, “She’s fine. Just having low blood pressure. The doctor said maybe it was caused by her not having breakfast. That’s why she should eat. You both should make sure she does.”

                “Oh sure then. Thank you nurse.” And with that, she left, her steps were barely heard.

                “Did you-“

                The nurse’s head poked in. “And don’t be too loud okay? You’ll disturb another patients.”

                The three of us nodded.

                After she actually left, Sehun and Baekhyun glared at me as if I did something that pissed them off. “What?”

                “Did you not take your breakfast, Areum?” Sehun asked, gritting his teeth.

                “I-I was late…”

                “But that doesn’t mean you don’t need to have breakfast. You still need to eat even if you only have time to grab a slice of bread!”

                I got annoyed. Why were both of them scolding me? It’s my right!... Though I couldn’t deny how important breakfast for someone is.

                “I’m already fine okay? You can leave now if all you want to do is to scold me for not having my breakfast.”

                “I’m not leaving, until you finish the food the hospital provided.” Sehun pulled the chair by the bed closer and sat down, followed by Baekhyun. “So, what are you waiting for? Eat.”

                I looked at the food in the tray. Yuck, hospital food never taste nice. With the bland taste, my throat just- “I don’t want to eat.” I pushed the tray further away from me.

                “Why? You want to eat something else? I could take you to a restaurant now.” He stood up to get out from the room but I stopped him.

                “No, I don’t feel like eating.”

                His face was expressionless. His eyebrows quirked up, as if waiting for me to utter more words. I looked away, trying to not smile.

                “Why?”

                “I’m late to work okay? I’m anxious so I can’t eat. That’s me!”

                He came to me and shoved his phone onto my lap. “Dial your boss’s number.”

                “No! Why would I?”

                “Areum. Listen to me. Dial his number.”

                Refusing to get nagged at again, I dialed his number. ‘Huh, what is this boy going to do?’, I muttered while dialing. Finished dialing, he took away the phone and called my boss.

                “Yah! What are you going to do, Sehun?!” I yelled.

                He put an index finger on his plush lips, waiting for the call to be connected. I crossed my arms, not wanting to know what’s going to happen anymore. This was too much and it’s only 10 in the morning.

SEHUN’S POV

                I watched her as she’s dialing her boss’s number. I sighed. ‘How pretty she is’, I smiled internally, looking at how her shoulder length dark brown hard covering half of her face. Without me realizing, I was smiling wide, wide enough to catch Baekhyun’s attention.

                “Yah why are you smiling?” He pulled my coat like a little kid, demanding my answer.

                “No, I wasn’t.”

                “Yah, little brother. You fell in love with her already, eh?”

                “No!” I whispered, my eyes widening.

                When she stopped dialing, I took her phone away. Well she’s really not going to work today, so if she refuses to take an emergency leave, then I’ll be the one to take it for her.

                “Yah! What are you going to do, Sehun?” She yelled.

                But I refused to tell her. If she knew what I was doing, I was totally sure she would jump on top of me and snatched the phone away. Really sure, of it.

                “Hello, who is this?” A hoarse voice startled me.

                “Hello, is this Baek Areum’s boss?” I asked, trying to keep my voice as low as possible, not wanting for Areum to acknowledge what I was doing that time.

                “Yes, I am. Who are you? She’s already late for a few days and today she’s absent. Does she really want to get fired?” His voice was harsh, yelling at me.

                “I’m Oh Sehun, her boyfriend. She’s not coming to work today. She’s sick so she’s forced to take an emergency leave.”

                “Haha. Emergency leave? After a few days of coming late? Tell her it’s better for her to quit her job. I can find a better- Wait. Did you say your name is Oh Sehun? Sehun? The idol….?” He stuttered.

                “Yes. That’s me. You want to fire her? Well, if you do, I would sue you and your business is going down into the drain, get it?” I asked, smirking, although I knew he couldn’t see it, I made sure that it’s hearable through the phone.

                “N-no I won’t. I wish her to get well soon bye!” And with that, he hung up.

                “What were you doing, Sehun?” Areum asked, frowning.

                “Nothing. Just some blackmailing and things.”

                “Yah! You’re going to make me lose my job!”

                “Ani. You’re not going to lose your job. And maybe, he could give you a better…position. Or salary. Now let’s go out and eat.”

 

AREUM’S POV

                ‘This boy is crazy’, I sighed, thinking about my future that might be destroyed because of him.

                “Whatever,” I grabbed my fluffy pink coat and wore it quickly. If I did everything he said quickly, then the quicker I got to get away from him.

               “Let’s go and fill your tummy tummy, Areum!” Baekhyun said, pulling my hand and did some cute actions. I blushed, well who wouldn’t when their bias do that?

                I pinched his cheeks, couldn’t help myself. “Aigoo, Baekhyun oppa! Why so cute? I want to cry!” My eyes got teary as a result from excitement.

                “I’m your father,” he said, copying the Darth Vader’s(?) voice, “You’re my baby!” He hugged me so tight. While we were laughing, suddenly I heard someone coughed.

                “Are we ready to go?” He looked at his Rolex, such a wealthy boy, impatiently.

                “Well, we are. Let’s go!” I jumped out of my bed, ready to go. Well, maybe today wasn’t that bad.