Who is She?

The Last of Us

Areum is fast asleep, her head on her crossed arms, placed on the bed, beside her mom.  Even when sleeping, her forehead wrinkles, as if she’s thinking deeply in her sleep. Clear beads of cold sweat tracing her forehead. Sehun on the other hand, is deeply engrossed with his phone, texting s.

                YAH, WHY WOULD YOU LEAVE WITHOUT TELLING US FIRST? DO YOU KNOW HOW PANIC WE ALL WERE WHEN WE COULDN’T FIND YOU EVERY.SINGLE.TIME?” – SUHO

                He grins, this time, his fangs are not showing, instead, they look normal just like everyone else’s are.

                “I’M SORRY. IT’S JUST SUDDENLY SOMETHING IMPORTANT CAME UP SO I HAD TO LEAVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. SORRY HYUNG…. <3” – SEHUN

               “SIGH…I’LL FORGIVE YOU-NO-I FORGIVE YOU EVERY TIME BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND YOU’RE THE MAKNAE, IDIOT. DON’T DO THIS AGAIN. AT LEAST SHOOT US A TEXT OR TWO. TAKE CARE.” – SUHO

                “SURE, HYUNG. I LOVE YOU TOO”-SEHUN

                He sends the text after putting some flying kiss emoticons. He put his phone back into his black Chanel jacket’s pocket and looks sideways to look at Areum.

                ‘How come you’re so pretty…you don’t even have to try to look pretty, you already are.’ He sighes. He then looks at Mrs. Baek who was still unconscious. Rage surges up inside of him, icy hot liquid coursing through his veins. His hands ball up into fists, veins visible on the back of his hands, as his fangs puncture his lower red lips. Blood drips at the corner of his mouth.

                “Wendy is going to pay for this,” he hisses.

                He takes a few deep breaths, which he doesn’t even need, and his fangs retracted. He loosens his fist , trying to calm himself by putting his right hand on his hard chest.

                He looks again at Areum and realizes that the wrinkles on her forehead deepens. She’s so stressed out even when she’s asleep? He scoots closer to Areum and places his left palm flat on her forehead. He closes his eyes….

AREUM’S DREAM

                Areum is tied up to a chair as a dark shadow looming over her. It doesn’t touch her at all. But still Areum flinches, every time the shadow gets closer. As the shadow solidifies, it takes up a female figure. Tall, thin figure. Sehun walks closer to them, trying to hide himself from everyone’s view. The female figure then touches Areum’s bound wrists, and suddenly Areum cries out in agony. Her head is thrown back, her face is pale. He sees that blood blooms on her wrists and the unknown figure put a clear wine glass just below her wrist, collecting the dripping blood.

                She then takes a sip and moans.

                “Oh how nice your blood is. You should take this as a compliment, right before you die. People always compliment others when they’re already dead. So you should be grateful because I….never did this before to anyone I have….killed.” She laughs , high-pitched.

                Sehun’s eyes widens, as he knows that voice very well. Wendy. There's no way she is what she is. She isnt't a-

                Her next sentence nearly drains the blood out of him.

                “I know you’re here, Sehun. But don't worry. I wouldn't kill her. Yet. It’s just a dream anyway. For now, I’m giving you glimpses of what I’m going to do.”

                And Areum screams again, a bloodcurdling scream. Calling him.

REALITY

                Sehun? Sehun? Wake up!”

                Sehun stirs in his sleep as he feels someone pats his shoulder a few times. He quickly opens his eyes, wincing as the bright light enters his eyes, but it doesn’t matter since vampires’ eyes adjust quickly towards light. He realizes he has fallen asleep, his head on the bed.

                Areum is leaning forward from her seat, hair tousled, a look of confusion on her face. Are you okay, Oh Sehun?”

               She puts the back of her hand on his forehead and flinches slightly. She laughs slowly, “I forgot that your skin is cold. Well, it seems like you’re not having any fever.”

                “I’m okay,” Sehun says, his voice hoarse as the result of deep sleep. He is actually confused, he remembers what he did last night, placing his hand on Areum’s forehead and he has taken a look on her dream. When did he fall asleep? And the dream last night...Wendy...who is she now?

               The look of confusion on her face is then replaced by a look of concern. “Are you sure, Sehun? You had a nightmare, even your pale skin turns paler.”

                ‘Should I ask her…or not?’ Sehun ponders, ‘maybe I should.’

                Sehun rubs his eyes and looks straight into Areum’s eyes. Areum lets out a nervous laughter, “Why are you looking at me like that?”

                “Did you have a nightmare last night?” There was no smile on his face, only pure curiosity.

                Areum’s face quickly changes. Nightmare. She looks down to her fingers, fiddling with them.

                “Yeah…Why? I-wait, how did you know?”

                Sehun laughs, although it sounds different, as if he fakes it…well maybe he does.

                “You were frowning for the whole time, how should I not know?”

                “Oh really? I don’t know Sehun. It’s Wendy…I dreamt of her killing my family and then…she said she wants to kill me.”

                Why does she want to kill you?”

                “I don’t know. She just said she’s going to live as myself, look like me, everything just like me, after I die, since you don’t want to accept her again. I…don’t remember the rest. But Sehun, the dream felt so real. It feels like I’m being cut by knife.” Areum sighs, her right hand tucks her wild hair behind her ear. Something had Sehun gasping.

                “Areum, give me your hand.”

                “What? Why?”

                “Give me your hand, quick.”

                Areum, confused, lets Sehun takes her hand into his. Sehun quickly turns her hand upside down, palm facing him, and even Areum gasps.

                There is a deep cut on her wrist, the blood already clotted. She looks at her another wrist and finds it in the same condition as her right wrist. Her hands are shaking.

                “S-Sehun , I-I didn’t remember h-having these on m-my wrists.” She breaks down. Sehun hugs her tightly, as she sobs, hard.

                At the same time, his phone buzzes. He reaches into his pocket, taking his phone quickly, almost dropping it in the process as he knows who the sender is.

                “YOU KNOW I NEVER LIE WHEN I SAY SOMETHING, DON’T YOU? I DO WHAT  I WANT, WHEN I WANT IT. AND I’LL NEVER FAIL. NEVER.” – WENDY.