Who is She? pt. 2

The Last of Us

"Do you have any problem, Miss Areum? Did you try talking to any family members or friends? You shouldn’t injure yourself when you’re depressed. You can even come and talk to me if you want to.” The female doctor, Dr. Seulgi advises as her hands skillfully wrapping the bandages around Areum’s wrists. After the clotted blood was cleaned, new fresh blood comes out and it soaks through the white bandage.

                Areum just gives her the faintest smile. If she told her that she got it her nightmare, would she even believe that? She might end up in the mental hospital if she did that.

                “I’m fine, Dr. It’s just I accidentally hurt myself at work.” Areum lies, for what feels like a hundredth time already.

                “But you are too young to be working. You should be studying, don’t you?” After finishing her task with the bandages, Dr Seulgi admires her work and then leans back against her high-backed chair.

                “Yeah, I’m currently studying and working too. You know, to pay for the fees…”

                “Oh, what course are you taking?”

                “I’m taking Pharmacy.”

                A look of amusement flashes on Dr Seulgi’s face. “Wow, really? You should get a degree and who knows, you can work here!”

                “I’m wishing to-“ Areum is cut mid-sentence when her phone buzzes as a text message comes in.

                YOUR MOM’S CONSCIOUS ALREADY. I’LL COME AND GET YOU THEN WE’LL MEET YOUR MOM J “ –SEHUN

                Areum smiles widely, that even the doctor smiles.

                “Why are you smiling, Miss Areum? Anything good?”

                “My mom. She already woke up.” She grins, her eyes light up. Suddenly the door creaks open, revealing Sehun who’s standing in the threshold.

                “Doctor, may I take Areum with me?” He asks, not impolitely.

                “Sure. Areum, go ahead. I know your boyfriend's so eager to meet you.” Dr Seulgi looks at him, knowingly. He just nods towards her as Areum walks slowly towards him. They are close to leaving when Dr Seulgi stops them and asks him to talk to Areum for a second.

                The thing that Dr. Seulgi mentions might have been considered as thoughtful by other people. But not her. Not in this situation.

                As Dr Seulgi places her hand with long slender fingers on her arms, she automatically sighs. “Areum, please take care. This world is not safe for you anymore. Be with Sehun, don’t leave his side, as he’s the only person who has the strength to protect you. Lose him and you’ll lose everything. Something dark is in your way.”

                “Areum, are you okay?”

                Sehun’s cold palm on her hand wakes her up from her reverie. She looks around, suddenly feels like she’s somewhere alien to her.

                “Sehun, where am I?” Areum quickly grabs the front of his shirt, her face pale.

                “Hey, we’re still at the hospital. You’ve been daydreaming for like…ten minutes or something. I called you a few times already but it seems like you couldn’t hear it.” He looks concerned.

                Maybe she’s been thinking too much about what Dr Seulgi said. It’s ridiculous but at the same time, makes sense too. ‘Something’s dark is in your way’. She shivers when she remembers her nightmare. ‘Did she mean that dream? Did she mean Wendy? Is Wendy the dark thing which is on her way?’

                “Areum, here. Your mom.” Sehun steps aside, letting Mrs. Baek’s face visible in her sight. Her pale skin now has some colors to it, which makes her sigh in relief. She quickly grabs the chair by the bed and slumps herself onto it.

                “Mom, how are you feeling? I miss you so much, mom!” She hugs her tightly and her mom hugs back, a sweet smile on her face. “I’m fine, darling. Don’t you worry.”

                Areum pouts. “How do I not worry when it comes to my mom and siblings? I’d be crazy if I don’t.” She puts her arms across her chest, pretending to sulk.

                “Hey, don’t be like this!” Mrs Baek playfully slaps her daughter’s shoulder, laughing. “Of course, you’re my pretty little angel and forever you’ll be. Sehun, thank you for taking care of Areum when she’s in Seoul. I am so worried with her living far away from me but now I’m not that worried, because she has her hero, her prince charming to take care of her.” Mom grabs Sehun’s hand and looks into Sehun’s eyes, her eyes shining brightly.

                “Mom, don’t be so dramatic!” Areum blushes, not able to lift her head as the embarrassment creeps in.

                “Mrs. Baek, I’m the one who should be thankful to you. You’ve given birth to an angel and you gave me the responsibility to take care of her, which is an honor for me,” he puts his another hand on her chest, bowing slightly.

                Areum pinches Sehun’s waist, causing him to playfully wince. “Mrs Baek, look at her. She pinched me oww…”

                “Yah Oh Sehun!”

                “Areum, treat him well, okay. Sehun, stop calling me Mrs Baek, you can call me mom too. You, I acknowledge you as my son already. I love you with my whole heart. So call me mom, okay?” Mrs. Baek looks at both of them, a flash of hope on her face.

                “Yes, I will,” they both answer at the same time, causing them to break into fit of laughter.

                Areum stops laughing. Her face becomes all serious.

                “Mom, may I ask you something? It’s okay if you don’t want me too.”

                “Sure, honey. What is it?”

                “Did you remember what happen yesterday?”

                Mrs Baek hesitates at first. She takes a deep breath and tells them everything she knows.

                “I was trying to take a nap as I was so tired. I don’t have my spectacles on. Then suddenly a woman barged in. I thought it was you so I woke up. Then I saw that it’s not you. I was close to calling out for help when she…injected me with something. But I got to glimpse at her face. She has waist-length rose-colored hair. She was tall too.  And then, everything went dark. I don’t know what happen next. Do you know who is she?”

                Areum appears to not know anything. But Sehun does.

                “Sehun, do you know who is she?”

                “Yes…it’s Rose. Her younger sister.”

                Areum is silent before she suddenly grabs Sehun’s jacket’s sleeve.

                “My siblings!” She exclaimed.

                “What’s wrong, Areum?” Mrs Baek inquires.

                “Where’s Hanseul and Dahae?”

                Sehun laughs, and it becomes louder when the look of anxiety turns into confusion.

                “They’re downstairs, I went to Busan to get them. Then I got them food to eat. They’re hungry so it’s better for them to eat first.” Sehun said, leaning against the chair Areum’s in.        

                “Sehun, you’re like an angel for us. Our lives are getting better because of you. How should I repay your kindness? It’s a shame that I’m nothing but-“

                “Mrs-Mom, there’s no need to say that. I’m willing to do this. You’re like my biological mom. I want to take care of you as well as I can. Including Dahae and Hanseul too. They’re like my siblings. I don’t have one, so it’s something I am always grateful for. As for Areum,” he looks at Areum, adoration is visible in his dark brown eyes, “this little angel is my responsibility I am thankful for. If I didn’t meet her, I wouldn’t have a happy life like I do now.” He reaches for Areum’s hand and gripping it, reassuringly.

                Suddenly, a sound of ‘owwwwwwww’ is audible. The three of them, being shocked, quickly turn to the source of the voices to see Dahae and Hanseul peeking through the door.

                “What a happy love story, Hanseul!” Dahae exclaimed, giggling, her braids shaking along with her head.

                “We’re so lucky to have them as our family,” Hanseul hugs his younger sister, leaning his head against hers.

                “Hey, kids are not allowed to listen to those!” Areum stands up, her hands on her waist.

                “Well….we did…” they laugh and eventually all of them laugh when suddenly a loud grumbling noise stops them.

                “Any explanation, Areum?” Sehun his eyebrow.

                “You know….”

                Sehun chuckles. “So, who’s ready for a bunch of food?”

                All of them cheer, happiness surrounding the whole room.

                “She woke up already, ma’am.” A girl, dressed in black dress, standing behind Wendy, who is facing the mirror of her dressing table.

                “What?” She asks, calmly. The calmness is eerie as she never is. The girl, looking down to her boot-clad feet, repeats herself.

                “She, Mrs Baek, has woken up.” She says, her voice wavers.

                “I thought it would take longer for her to wake up.” Wendy says, examining her shiny black nails. Her voice is still calm.

                “We thought so too…but apparently…it doesn’t happen that way.”

                Wendy sighs exasperatedly. She smoothens her hair, checking for her makeup on her flawless, pore-less skin and turns around, leaning against the dressing table. She stares at the frightened mundane girl, rose-colored hair curtaining her face as she still looks down.

               I’m sorry…sis-ma’am. I would make sure that next time this won’t happen anymore.”

                “Are you sure there’s next time for you?” Wendy inquires, swinging her legs.

                “Please, forgive me, ma’am.”

                Wendy waves her hand away. “Get out. You should feel  lucky as I’m in a good mood. And you should feel lucky too as I’m being lenient since you’re my sister…by blood.”