Sleepless Nights

The Heiress

I knocked on Namjoon’s door hesitatingly, standing in the hall awkwardly.

                I couldn’t sleep again.

                The entire week after Kookie died, I couldn’t sleep. Finally, it became too much for me to roll around in bed, hoping in vain that by some miracle, sleep would come.

                Namjoon opened the door and stood there, his usually sheepish smile nowhere to be seen. “Seokjin, it’s late. What are you doing still up?”

                “I- I can’t sleep…” I whispered, realizing how bad of an idea this had been. “I know you’re usually still awake, and…” I trailed off, looking at Namjoon.

                He ran a hand through his cherry blossom pink locks, sighing and opening the door for me to come in. “Seokjin, why don’t you just go to sleep like everybody else does?”

                I shrugged. “I can’t, I tried, Namjoon. I really did. I can’t just force myself to sleep, though. I’m sorry. I- If I bothered you, I can leave again…”

                “No, it’s fine!” Namjoon said quickly. “I’m just working on a new song, the idea popped into my head before I could make it to sleep.”

                I nodded. “Can I listen to it?” I asked hesitantly.

                Namjoon motioned for me to sit down on his bed, covered in plain white sheets, and brought over a pair of headphones once I had taken a seat on the edge. I took the headphones and placed them over my ears, listening to the sweet melody that began to play.

                Piano, violin, and a soft clarinet drifted through the headphones, playing softly and harmonizing together to create a beautiful yet nostalgic sound.

                It reminded me of Jungkook and Hoseok, watching them playfully tease each other and run around together, of finding them asleep with arms wrapped around one another, of watching Jungkook softly whisper to Hoseok as we ate, and Hoseok speaking what the boy had said.

                It reminded me of fighting together as a group, fending off others from the horrible creatures plaguing the world, of watching each other’s backs and protecting one another while trying our best to continue to fight.

                I reminded me of winter afternoons, where the sun had just peeked out from behind the clouds for a single odd moment, its rays glistening and reflecting off of the snow beneath it, of sledding and hot chocolate with friends, of rushing inside and discarding our warm coats only to run to the fireplace and huddle together in an attempt to return the heat to our bodies.

                I sniffled, not realizing the song had ended, or that tears had begun to fall from my eyes.

                Namjoon looked worried and took the headphones back. “Are you okay…?”

                I nodded, pulling Namjoon into a hug. “I- It reminds me of when we used to be together… All seven of us… I miss us, Joonie…” I sobbed and buried my head in the crook of his neck. “I miss when we were all still here and alive and-“ My voice cracked and I couldn’t finish my sentence.

                Namjoon nodded and wrapped his arms around me, holding me as I cried. “It’s okay, it’ll be okay.”

                I shook my head. “B- But Hoseok… And Kookie…”

                “They’re together, and isn’t that what they wanted?” I nodded numbly.

                “They should have stayed together here!” I whispered, my tears falling onto the exposed part of Namjoon’s shoulder.

                He nodded again, holding me tight as I continued to cry.

                Once he was sure I had stopped crying, he pulled out of the embrace. “Will you at least try to sleep now?”

                I nodded slowly. “C- Can I sleep here?” I asked softly.

                “Of course,” Namjoon said. “As long as you don’t mind me here, too.”

                “No, I don’t mind…” I blushed at the thought of sharing a bed with Namjoon, shocking myself with my action.

                The others always said we acted like the mother and father of the group, and that we bickered like a married couple, but I had thought that my feelings for him had long since disappeared.

                After seeing how much Jungkook loved Hoseok, though, I wasn’t sure.

                I slipped under the covers next to Namjoon, smiling slightly as Namjoon’s arms immediately wrapped around me and pulled me closer to him. “Joonie, what-“

                He interrupted me with a quick kiss, silencing any protests I had. “I- I’m sorry…” He said quickly. “I had to… I had to do this once. I’ve been pushing my feelings away for too long. But we’re safe now, and the Queen’s dead, so all the demons will stay dead for a while, too. And I needed to tell you how I felt, at least once…” He rambled on, searching for the right words.

                I smiled slightly, pressing a quick kiss onto Namjoon’s full lips. “I understand, Joonie. I know how you feel.” I yawned, my eyes heavy and threatening to close at any second. “But you’re right, I- I need sleep… Good night…” I managed to say in between yawns.

                “Good night, Jin.” Namjoon moved my head to rest on his chest, smiling.

                And for the first time in a week, I slept well, with my head rising and falling on Namjoon’s chest, our arms wrapped around each other.

 


 

AN: Woo, I'm on a roll! Two updates in a day, right after updating yesterday! Or was that this morning? I don't even remember ahaha

Either way, I should have the epilogue up within the next couple of hours!