Chapter 17

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After spending approximately three weeks in China for a successful partnership deal with an Audio Company, Donghae had flown back to Korea to go straight to LDH to finalize some of the contracts that had been sent to him for approval and are waiting on his desk for three weeks now.

 

Eunhyuk had called him about an account that went bankrupt so that is definitely not a good news. He would have to check with the accounting department and the corporate lawyer about the loss. And another account that is asking for an extended terms but are already close to being bought by another company and another fraud case….

 

So many problems in less than a month.

 

Donghae went to his desk as he listened to his secretary listing the appointments that was scheduled including a call from his mom and a Holdings Group CEO asking for a meeting with him.

 

He merely nodded and asked for coffee before sitting on his desk to start working. It’s already in the afternoon and he hoped he could finish this by seven as he really needed to get some rest.

 

He looked up when his door opened and Eunhyuk walked in with another set of folders on his arms. “Don’t worry,” Eunhyuk immediately said when he saw Donghae’s eyes glanced at the folders he’s holding. “These are not for you. I just came in to check how you doing. You look like you haven’t slept in weeks.”

 

“Maybe because I didn’t,” Donghae said opening the first one. “What’re you doing here chitchatting and wasting productivity?”

 

Eunhyuk made a face at him. “I just thought it’s a good idea to see how you were and bring you another… bad news.”

 

“Bring it on,” Donghae just answered taking a pen from his drawer.

 

“Well, it’s not really work related.”

 

“Then you can tell me later,” Donghae said dismissively.

 

“Well, I figured you should know now,” Eunhyuk said. “You know how friendly I am with every department and I tend to hear stuff?”

 

Donghae sighed. “I never realize you would want to turn into an old gossiping lady.”

 

“This is news is for you,” Eunhyuk said with a scowl then just decided to get on with it. “Jang Woo Young is already planning to ask Dara to marry him.”

 

Donghae froze then lifted his eyes to look Eunhyuk.

 

“I just heard it,” Eunhyuk said with a shrug. “I think he’s already planning it this week or something.”

 

Donghae gaped at him for a minute before returning his attention back at the paper in front of him but he couldn’t even continue reading the next paragraph that he was supposed to read. The last time he had seen Dara and spoken with her was that day when she had angrily told him to leave her alone. He had spent all day trying to figure out what it is that he had done to make her really upset and came up with the thought that it might be because he kissed her without her permission.

 

He wanted to apologize for kissing her but that was a lle. Because if given the chance, he would do it again but he’s willing to apologize if she asked him to.

 

But the way she lit into him, he finally realized that she must’ve thought he disrespected her. She felt violated over what he had done. And that is probably what he needed to apologize for and she thought he must’ve been a total for even asking if she wanted him to apologize. He just doesn’t know how or if a call would make her even more angry at him or if she would throw knives at him if he suddenly show up on her doorstep.

 

He doesn’t know how to deal with this… situation. He’s completely clueless. And asking for some advise from Eunhyuk would definitely mean more self-harm than good.

 

He felt so lost that he decided that it’s just probably a good idea to do what Dara had asked him to do. For now. It’s what she wants and maybe she could find it in her to talk to him again and maybe then he could apologize properly.

 

But this… this news…. “Isn’t it too fast?” He found himself asking.

 

“It is,” Eunhyuk agreed. “Jang Woo Young is fast, Donghae. He doesn’t delay. Which is more than what I can say to you. Whatever happened to She’s my girl? Tsk tsk tsk.”

 

Of course Eunhyuk doesn’t know what transpired that morning and Donghae isn’t planning to share. He let out a deep sigh before laying his pen down, his forehead creasing as he looked at Eunhyuk with anxiety, “Do you think she would accept?”

 

“Why don’t you ask her?” Eunhyuk said with a smirk. “And while you’re at it, just tell her that she should marry you instead.”

 

“Should I go by force?” Donghae asked pensively. “I don’t think she would want to be told what to do.”

 

Eunhyuk snorted. He only meant that as a joke but Donghae really did take it seriously. It only goes to show that he’s not really bullting about Dara. And he feels bad for bringing his friend that bad news. He only heard it while the ladies were talking on the engineering department yesterday saying that Jang Woo Young is already planning to propose to his girlfriend who is a financial officer and that she is so lucky.

 

“Alright, so what are you going to do? I think you have a chance,” Eunhyuk said. “And you know me, I would be fully supporting you on this even though you’re an evil CEO. That’s probably your weird way of fighting for a girl.” He smirked.

 

Donghae just sighed again before taking his pen and started signing the last page of the paper he’s looking.

 

“So, what’re you gonna do?” Eunhyuk prodded when he didn’t answer.

 

“I need a drink,” Donghae finally answered. “And I want to be ing drunk.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That prick really didn’t show his face around her ever since that fateful morning. Jerk. She glared at the long line of vehicles from the window of her office on 21 Building as she is once again struck over how affected she was by Lee Donghae not even appearing before her. He wasn’t even attending the meetings and only sends Lee Eunhyuk. She really wanted to ask about Lee Donghae but only pride is stopping her from opening . She did told him to stay the hell away from her and to never show his face around her ever again.

 

Dara sighed and looked at her phone when she felt it buzzed on her pocket. Her creased forehead smoothened when she saw the message she received was from Woo Young and felt really guilty again. They seldom go out these past couple of weeks, mostly because of her excuses of being busy, and he wasn’t really insisting since he’s probably very busy too.

 

She opened the message. Can we meet tonight at 7?

 

Dara pursed her lips as she read the message and guilt swarmed in her again. It’s just so unfair how she’s dating Woo Young but she can’t get Donghae out of her mind. Tramp! She had waited all her life for this one chance! Meeting a nice, responsible man whom she can conversate intellectually, funny…. He’s the kind of guy she had dreamed of meeting. The one that she could actually fit into her ideal man.

 

And she’s just diregarding that.

 

All for one kiss.

 

Dara squinched her eyes shut at that memory again, shaking her head to remove it from her brain. She had considered telling Woo Young that but she is not sure if it is called for. Woo Young had never mentioned if they are already together and she wasn’t exactly asking so it might probably be weird if she suddenly go I’m sorry, I cheated on you by kissing your boss.

 

And that one time, he did go out with an ex girlfriend. He had mentioned it to her about trying to rebuild his friendship with his ex so she doesn’t really think they were exclusive.

 

And it didn’t bother her anyway so she didn’t prod.

 

So there’s absolutely no reason for her to be guilty, right?

 

There is no reason for her to keep on thinking about Lee Donghae to begin with, right? That kiss was really her… first intense kiss so it’s probably the reason why she kept on thinking about it. She’s a , in every sense of the word, duh!

 

Finally deciding on a resolution, Dara sent Woo Young a response giving the name of the place to meet. It was a big bar at Sinchon where the food are really declicious and where the service is top notch.

 

And very private. Maybe she could use that opportunity to finally kiss Woo Young and wipe off any memory of Lee Donghae. Maybe she only needed that. A kiss to forget a kiss.

 

A knock on her door made her turn and her secretary entered, “Ms. Dara, the CEO of JeongSu Electronics is outside asking for a meeting.”

 

Dara’s forehead creased. Huh? “Mr. Park Jeongsu?”

 

“No, Ms. Dara. It’s his sister.”

 

Dara nodded. “Let her in.” She went to the sofa inside her office and waited until Park Inyoung, the partner and sister of Park Jeongsu, CEO of Jeongsu Electronics, walked in and greeted her when she reached her desk. She looked like she is in her early 40s and looked intimidating. “Good afternoon chairman. Please sit down.”

 

They sat down across from each other and Dara asked her secretary for some coffee. “How can I help you?”

 

“I’m sorry to have come in here without a notice or an appointment. I figure my brother would oppose of me going here.”

 

She paused and Dara waited for her to continue.

 

“Do you value loyalty?” The CEO asked which took Dara by surprise.

 

Is that a trick question? Where did that come from? “Uh… of course.”

 

“If I may ask, just how loyal you are with 21 TV, Ms. Dara?”

 

Dara was at a blank on why she was being asked of this and Park Inyoung saw that confusion on her face. She chuckled before continuing, “Let me cut to the chase, then. I am actually here to offer you a position in Jeong Su Electronics. The SVP position had just been vacated and I would like to offer that to you.”

 

If Dara was at a blank earlier, she is now at a complete total brain dead over the sudden offer. Whuuut?

 

“You are more than qualified for the job and for all the years that we have been doing business together, I know that you are capable of being more than merely an assistant for your CEO.” She chuckled. “Let’s admit it, Ms. Dara. A Chief Financial Officer is just a big sweet coating that your CEO had given you underneath the real position you are currently acting right now. How many years have you been working with Chairman Yang? Do you see yourself having a future in here?”

 

Dara blinked a couple of time trying to reassemble her thoughts all the while remembering that big disappointment she had when she was not given the position she had expected and how hurt and angry she was at that time but she let out a chuckle. “I’m sorry Ms. Park but… I really don’t know where this is coming from. The offer… I mean I’m honored that you think of me for that position but….” She paused trying to think of a better phrasing to say that she had worked all her life in 21 tv and she’s not going to just throw it away no matter how much she hates CEO Yang.

 

Park Inyoung smiled. “But you still chose to stay even if your Chairman disregarded all your hard work by promoting someone else?”

 

Okay, how the hell did she know that??

 

“I would make this short, Ms. Dara,” she continued. “And I’m not going to ask for an answer now. I would just like you to think it over. 21 TV is one of the largest accounts that JeongSu had and we tend to keep it. However, given that our contract is expiring and our competitors vying for your account, we would do anything to keep our company at the top of the line.” She paused. “You will have that position in our company if you sign 21 TV with jeongSu Electronics while you are still here.”

 

The confusion that was on Dara’s face smoothened as she finally understand what the chairwoman is getting at. “So you’re bribing me to sign JeongSu with 21 TV.”

 

The chairwoman didn’t even deny it. “Yes.”

 

Dara tried not to exhale loudly and curse. “To be honest, Ms. Park, I feel rather offended that you think you can bribe me into signing your company with 21 TV. And, I’m not really sure why you think I’m the one to bribe when I’m just merely, as you say, an assistant of Chairman Yang.”

 

“An assistant that the Chairman trusts,” she responded. “Everybody knows how much the chairman trusts your judgment. You make the decisions in terms of contracts and finances, he is just the front. Let’s not play games here, Ms. Dara. Even the Chairman of LDH electronics knows that and the game he is playing with you is far more dangerous than what I am offering you.”

 

Her brows furrowed.“What?”

 

“You are very innocent, Ms. Dara. I can see how the Chairman of LDH is able to play that game on you just so he could get 21 TV’s account. We are all diry players here. We do what we can to get ahead in the business. If you stay with naivete and innocence, even loyalty would lose its meaning. Chairman Yang is preventing you from growing because you are doing the work for him and he will keep you in a place where you can keep doing the work for him. Lee Donghae woos you with his good looks and chivalry but what will happen when you gave him the reason why he woos you in the first place? Tell me, Ms. Dara. What are the benefits that you would get other than ending as an overworked, broken hearted woman?”

 

This is just completely ridiculous especially hearing them from a very respected woman. And did she say Lee Donghae’s chivalry? Like, where???

 

“JeongSu offers you something that is more than a temporary trade. We would like you to work with us but we would need your cooperation first.”

 

“You are actually not considering my potential if the only purpose you are offering this position to me is at the condition that I would persuade my CEO to take your account,” Dara said. “And as much as i… trust your integrity, I’m not sure I am that gullible to believe that I would have the position in your company once I have secured your account.” Not that she’s considering it.

 

“You just need to take a chance Ms. Dara and see where it’s going to take you. Unless you would want to stay here and be a loyal assistant for your Chairman until you live out your purpose. Then what’s going to happen next?”

 

Dara stared at the woman wearing a very benevolent smile as if she just hadn’t uttered something completely unethical.

 

“Do you honestly think all successful people obtained that success by being loyal and righteous?” The chairwoman shook her head. “You need to think of yourself and your future. You might think I am unprofessional but in this fight, we win. And we do what we can to get ahead at the end. You should think about what you want and how it will be in the long run.” She smiled. “Think about that, Ms. Dara. You know where to find me.” She gave a nod of her head before standing up and leaving her office. Dara just watched her until the door closed behind her, the chairwoman’s words ringing in her head.

 

“Pfft,” Dara said after a moment with a scowl. It’s probably the reason why his brother is the one making the deals as his sister had a screw loose on her head. Bribing her for a position and thinking worst things about everyone around her…. Sheesh. What a looney.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara arrived twenty minutes late at the bar and she immediately scanned the darkened room for any sight of Woo Young. She had a meeting with the production staff and lasted more than she had expected it to. She saw Woo Young at the long bar table sitting on one of the stool with a drink in front of him and she scurried over. “I am so sorry!” She apologized when she reached him. “I got holed up in a meeting.”

 

Woo Young smiled but it doesn’t look as bright as before so Dara knew she is completely messing this date up.

 

“I’m really sorry!” she apologized again.

 

“It’s okay,” Woo Young said pulling the stool for her to sit on and Dara hesitantly sat down while looking at one of the private rooms of the place. Well, she definitely cannot make out with Woo Young in a public place. “Um… do you want to go somewhere more private?”

 

“Um….” A queer expression crossed his features and he looked at his watch. “I uh… I actually don’t have much time. I just… wanted to talk to you.”

 

Dara smiled as she angled her chair towards Woo Young. See? He is so sweet. “Alright, talk away.”

 

Woo Young hesitated then grabbed the menu from a passing waiter and flipping it open. “What do you want to eat?”

 

He sounded a little nervous and it’s so cute. She took the menu from his hand and looked at the list of food wondering what their best seller is. “I think… this would be good… or maybe this….” She ran her fingers on the page to see which one sounds delicious.

 

“I’m getting married.”

 

Her finger stopped at a section of a pork ribs as those words echoed in her head. She lifted her eyes to look at Woo Young who looked really anxious. Wait, what did he say?

 

He must’ve heard her silent question because he repeated what he said. “I’m… getting married.”

 

Married? Woo Young is getting married?

 

“I… got back with my ex,” Woo Young continued his voice sounding smaller with each words.

 

Dara slowly closed the menu in front of her, her eyes returning to the menu’s cover with the bar’s name written in big stylish fonts.

 

“Don’t misunderstand,” Woo Young continued hurriedly. “I really had a great time with you. You’re… amazing. You’re beautiful… you’re… everything a man could ever want but… I don’t think I am that man.”

 

His voice was laced with too much anxiety like he’s afraid of what Dara’s reaction would be and Dara just sat there staring at the menu as it slowly dawns on her. He is getting married.

 

And she is getting rejected.

 

Dara turned to look at Woo Young who looked positively fretful as he watched her. “So you asked me here just to tell me you are getting married?”

 

He hesitated before giving the smallest of nods looking ashamed, not giving a long line of excuses for the reason that he found himself suddenly getting engaged in just a matter of days.

 

What could she do anyway? Drop down on the floor in a pool of tears? Dara let out a smile then patted his hand as she said jokingly, “Is that the look of an engaged man? Did she forced you or what?”

 

Woo Young’s eyes went to her smiling face and he let out a relieved sigh when he saw the amusement on her face before he chuckled. “Sorry, I just… I don’t want you to think badly of me. I… I’m not sure if… if I cheated on you when I got back with my ex last week and… I wanted to tell you but our schedule just don’t meet….and… I feel really guilty.”

 

Dara chuckled too though it sounded hollow to her ears. “You don’t have to be. You didn’t cheat,” she assured him. And I didn’t either.

 

“That’s what I thought,” Woo Young agreed.

 

Dara nodded and for a minute, there was only silence between them, both feeling awkward of not knowing what to say.

 

“She’s just like you, you know,” Woo Young spoke. “I think that’s probably one of the reasons why I felt attracted to you. Because you remind me of her.”

 

For some reason she didn’t feel offended to know that Woo Young only had gone out with her because she reminded him of her ex. Sure there was disappointment that her expectations of a steady relationship had gone down the drain but it’s not really something that she felt she should be crying in despair for. She actually had some other reasons and one that she knew will slowly catch up to her.

 

“She’s also a financial officer in 2pm Galaxy,” Woo Young continued. “She’s fun, she’s witty, smart. Exactly like you but… you deserve more than to be treated like a second choice. I actually joined that dating app to move on and obviously I can’t move on if I’m dating someone who reminds me of the reason I want to move on, you know?” He pursed his lips before looking at Dara who was tracing the picture of the menu with her fingers “I’m really sorry if I didn’t get to tell you sooner. I should’ve realized that I can’t move on from someone that I would be willing to forgive no matter how many times she did me wrong because that’s how much I love her.”

 

Dara smiled sadly when she heard that, her heart pinching. “I am so jealous of her,” she find herself saying then instantly clarified what she meant. “I mean… jealous because….” Dara exhaled wistfully. “She’s so lucky to find someone like you while i… I had spent half of my life trying to find that kind of devotion.”

 

Woo Young smiled at her and patted her hand comfortingly. “Maybe your guy just hasn’t found his way to you yet.”

 

Dara scowled at him. “He’s been lost for so long I feel like I wanted to kill him when he finally found his way to me. Doesn’t he know how to ask for directions?”

 

He laughed. “He would b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter