I'm Cold And Alone Tonight

Sweet Sarang
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night had fallen when Sarang entered Kyungsoo’s apartment, he carried her suitcase for her.

She spent the whole day with Yoonseul and Yerim. She told them everything. She cried. A lot.

She would have stayed at Yoonseul’s place but her sister was visiting, and her place was already small for one person, so crashing there was no option.

Yoonseul was willing to sleep on the floor and let Sarang take the bed or the couch but Sarang wouldn’t agree. She wouldn’t wanna be that much of a burden.

She couldn’t afford to stay at a hotel either.

Kyungsoo was the only one left. He insisted she’d stay there so she decided to do it temporarily. She didn’t know until when exactly, but she hoped it would be soon. She hoped it wouldn’t take much time to stand on her feet again, maybe get herself a part-time job.

“I’m so sorry for doing this so suddenly,” she apologized, “It’s just that I can’t let my parents know that I left… especially not my dad,” she sighed, “His condition is barely getting any better.”

“Don’t be silly, Sarang!” Kyungsoo frowned, “You know you’re more than welcomed to stay here as long as you want,” he assured, “Just make yourself at home. I mean it.”

Sarang half smile thankfully.

“I could always count on you.”

Kyungsoo smiled. It felt good to know she could trust him and turn to him whenever she needed anything. He hated that she was going through hard times but since it was inevitable, he was glad she came to him.

“I’ve got your back,” he patted her arm before walking past her to his bedroom where he placed her stuff.

Sarang looked around. She hugged herself feeling a little out of place.

“You’ll stay here,” Kyungsoo’s voice came from his bedroom.

She turned her head toward the room, “Your bedroom?” she asked, confused.

“Hmm,” Kyungsoo walked out of it, nodding with a smile. “Actually you can go in right now if you need to rest, it’s all clean.”

“No you don’t really have to,” Sarang shook her head lightly, “I can sleep on the sof—“

“No way,” Kyungsoo quickly objected. “You’ll get the bed it’s settled.”

“But—“

“No, Sarang,” he refused seriously. “The doctor said you should rest well so don’t argue much. Just sleep in there,” he pointed at his bedroom’s door.

Her hand involuntarily touched her stomach. She nodded agreeing.

 

Sarang walked into the bedroom after reluctantly finishing the cup of warm milk Kyungsoo gave her. He insisted she finished it to the last drop.

She shut the door behind her and stood still for a moment.

The curtains weren’t brown and beige and so wasn’t the bed quilt. The mirror was small and rounded, not tall. The small tables by each side of the bed had four drawers instead of three.

Chanyeol’s pajamas weren’t hanging on the pole at the corner of the room by the closet. His shirt wasn’t messily thrown on bed.

Sarang took in a shaky breath.

She just needed a moment.

 

Sarang changed into her comfy pajamas. She turned the lights off before climbing into bed, feeling exhausted.

It was quiet now. There was no fighting, no waiting for Chanyeol to get back home, and no sudden rushes. It was over now. It was empty.

Sarang pulled the blankets to her chest bringing with them Kyungsoo’s scent.

She tried to swallow a lump in . No she didn’t want to cry but she ended up trying to silence the sobs that accidentally came out loud.

She missed Chanyeol’s scent. She missed the warmth of his body next to hers. She missed his big hands that rested over her waist every night and pulled her closer to his chest.

“I miss you,” she said through her tears that were flowing uncontrollably. “I miss you so much,” she squeezed her eyes as she cuddled herself.

Gosh she wanted to call him and ask him to come over right now but that’s exactly why she turned off her phone since morning. Chanyeol wouldn’t stop calling and she didn’t want to answer. She shouldn’t answer, she told herself, so she turned it off.

She was in a strange place. Yes it was Kyungsoo’s place but it wasn’t home. She missed Chanyeol. She missed home.

 

~

 

Chanyeol lost count on how many times he had called Sarang through the day. She didn’t answer even one of his calls, eventually she turned off her phone.

Sarang’s keys were at the coffee table.

The small pillow lied messily on her favorite seat in the living room. She must have been sitting there before leaving, he thought.

Tonight the TV was off. There was no pile of books and papers on the table. She wasn’t there to tell him her very random thoughts that he pretended not to care about but actually heard every word of.

“How could this happen to us,” he closed his eyes with remorse.

If he could only look in her eyes right now. If he could only touch her lips with his right now.

He took small, weak footsteps toward the bedroom. Their bedroom. He collapsed on bed.

He saw it all with his peripheral vision.

The towel she used this morning was hanging on the pole next to a long white coat maybe she forgot to pack. The closet wasn’t shut properly.

Her perfume was stuck in the air, lingering between the sheets. Her scent was present, vivid in his brain, but she wasn’t there and he missed her.

He wished he could hear her voice or just go to her but she wouldn’t answer him. She wouldn’t let him know where she was.

He went earlier to the hospital; he wanted to check on her father and on her, thinking she must be there but her mom asked about her before he even could. She had no idea that Sarang left.

“She’s resting at home,” Chanyeol forced a smile, “That’s why I came alone.”

He figured Sarang wouldn’t want her parents to know so he didn’t tell.

The place was too quiet, too empty.

He found himself in tears, feeling cold and lonely and scared.

The bed was cold, unbearable.

What has he done? How did he lose Sarang?

He didn’t know how and why he couldn’t remember and it frustrated him.

Chanyeol got up. He dragged his feet weakly to the living room where he threw himself on the sofa, staring at the ceiling, waiting to miraculously fall asleep.

 

***

 

Sarang sat stiff. It was a Sunday evening, the night ready to fall, Sarang sat on the small sofa facing her father-in-law who was on his seat behind his desk.

She had never been into his house office before, even though she had visited their house several times. It was fancy, very neat, as everything was perfectly arranged on the desk and the shelves.

This time she didn’t visit as Chanyeol’s wife.

Chanyeol’s father couldn’t hide the disappointment on his face.

“I understand your decision,” he said.

Sarang gave him a thankful nod.

“In fact, I came here to ask you something,” her tone sounded as polite as always. “I already moved out,” she said, “But I don’t want my parents to know, just until my father’s condition improves, please.”

“Where are you staying if not at your parent’s house?”

Sarang fidget uncomfortably, “At a friend’s” she said.

“You can stay here!” he quickly offered but Sarang immediately shook her head.

“Definitely not,” she said, “I’m so sorry I just can’t. I don’t want to see Chanyeol anymore, please understand me.”

The man thought for a moment then agreed, quite reluctantly, but he had no other choice. He wanted to protect Sarang because she was like a daughter to him, but he couldn’t dismiss the fact that his son broke her heart. She deserved better than him so he was going to let her leave.

He sighed, “Your parents won’t know.”

Sarang half smiled, “Thank you,” she said. “I’ll let my parents know when the time is right,” Sarang stood up, clutching her handbag tightly like it’s the only thing she had for support. “Hopefully soon,” she said underneath her breath.

“Do as you wish, darling,” the man stood up and walked from behind his desk to her. He held her soft cheeks gently. “I hope life treats you better from now on,” he smiled sadly, “You’re a strong woman,” he nodded, “And you n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter