Complications

Sweet Sarang
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyojung watched Chanyeol’s phone which was lying on the board as it kept showing the “Calling…” signal until the call disconnected automatically when no one answered.

“” Chanyeol hissed as he pressed the Call icon again. “Pick up,” he muttered.

“Can you please slow down a little?” Hyojung broke the silence, her hand holding onto the seat tightly.

“Oh,” Chanyeol glanced at her then turned to the road ahead, “Yeah, sorry,” he slowed down.

“I’m sorry for what happened, Chanyeol,” she spoke softly. “I didn’t mean to ruin your night with Sarang.”

Chanyeol glanced at her again, looking doubtful.

“I mean it,” she said, “You already told me it was over between us. Also, I didn’t know that incident would happen and I also didn’t imagine you two would be there. I’m really sorry,” she bit her lip guiltily.

Chanyeol noticed the call being disconnected again.

“I’m sorry for yelling at you earlier,” he apologized, “It wasn’t your fault.”

“Hey it’s okay,” she smiled, “It was my fault for ruining your night.”

“Not it wasn’t,” he insisted, “Next time be more careful who you dance with.”

“Hmm,” she smiled sadly. “Remember when we promised to only dance with each other?” she pushed her hair back, “It was the night you confessed to me,” she giggled at the memory. “You saw me dancing with someone and I swear your ears turned red,” she laughed, “Then I knew you were really mad but you kept acting like you didn’t care.”

Chanyeol laughed, “Hey I had like ten girls wanting to dance with me!” he defended.

“Yes but the guy I was dancing with was handsome too!” she laughed. “That’s why you were jealous the whole night until eventually you grabbed my hand and we ran out together.”

“Pftt please! You let go of his hand so quickly it’s like you were waiting for me to take you,” he breathed a laugh, “Besides, he’s not half as handsome as I am.”

Hyojung looked at him and nodded, “Not half as handsome as you are,” she said.

Chanyeol’s smile faded slowly.

Many good memories came back but a lot has changed since back then. They were just times in the past that are over now.

Chanyeol parked the car at the roadside by Hyojung’s place. The building was small and he could imagine how small her apartment must be.

“You’re staying alone?” he asked and she quickly nodded.

“Wanna see the place?” she asked.

“I have to go, actually,” he scratched his eyebrow awkwardly.

“Uh, okay, thank you for tonight and for bringing me back and I’m really sorry, please tell Sarang too.”

“Yeah it’s okay,” he assured before Hyojung waved a goodbye and left the car.

A part of him felt sorry for yelling at her when it was obviously not her fault. In fact it felt good to see that she seemed more mature now.

 

***

 

It seemed like the stairs up to the ninth floor were endless, but Sarang didn’t mind. She wasn’t in a hurry to go back home, that’s actually why she took the stairs instead of the elevator.

With little energy, with little effort, she went up step by step.

It was already past eleven when she decided to go back. Staying at her hideout had become a habit, especially since she was lately always depressed. That place somehow comforted her.

She unlocked the door and went in and as soon as she stepped inside she met Chanyeol’s figure approaching quickly.

“Where have you been?”

He scanned her from head to toe. She was drenched.

“Around.”

“Under the rain? Are you insane?” his brows furrowed.

Sarang’s shoulder barely brushed against Chanyeol’s arm as she passed by him and continued to the living room where she threw her wet coat on the sofa, not caring about soaking it.

“Do you know how many times I’ve called?” he asked, following her into the room. “Why didn’t you pick up?” he demanded, holding her arm.

“Why? Did you need anything?” she asked, her eyes and voice both emotionless.

“Do you know what time it is? I was worried sick about you!”

“Well, I’m fine,” she freed herself from his grip before heading toward the bedroom.

She was tired the whole time lately and it was strange because she’d usually have more energy.

“Where did you go?” he followed her, “You said you wanted to go out with me but then you ditched me and disappeared.”

“It’s not like I left you alone,” she opened the closet and took out a thick sweater.

“What? Are you really telling me you’re jealous of what happened back there?” Chanyeol asked.

Sarang turned around. She looked at him only briefly before pretending to be focused on ing her wet shirt. She knew if her eyes met his for more than just a moment she’d get weaker.

“I’m not jealous,” she said tiredly, “I’m just saying you had someone else with you.”

“She was being harassed!” Chanyeol almost yelled. “Are you seriously jealous because I helped a girl who needed it?”

The fact that she was barely speaking, or looking at him or even allowing him to touch her irritated him.

“What did you expect me to do? Just watch her getting hurt and allow it?!”

“No,” Sarang answered shortly.

She threw her wet shirt in the bathroom then returned into the bedroom slipped into the dry sweater.

Chanyeol breathed a laugh. He just couldn’t understand Sarang anymore and her lack of words was driving him insane.

“This exact situation happened with you and me before, Sarang,” he tried to explain. “Remember? You were drunk and someone was touching you and you didn’t want it… What did I do back then? Although at that time we were practically enemies but I still did something because this is what any human being would do!”

Sarang slammed her earrings on the small table after taking them off then turned to Chanyeol. What bothered her wasn’t that Chanyeol tried to help Hyojung, especially because she knew that Chanyeol didn’t know this was a setup.

She wasn’t really harassed, she was just pretending to be. That’s why the guy with her was confused but Chanyeol left him no chance to speak or defend himself.

What bothered her was that Hyojung’s words kept ringing in her ears. When she said that Chanyeol belonged to her and that he still cared about her, and the way she threw herself in his arms earlier like he was her shelter, it made Sarang think whether he really still had feelings for her or not.

“Can you stop yelling?!” she answered, “Did I say you shouldn’t have helped her? No! So why are you trying to make it sound like I said you should have let her get harassed when I said nothing in the first place!

“That’s the ing problem Sarang!” Chanyeol’s voice came out too loud, she flinched as he grabbed her arm forcing her to look right at him this time. “That’s the ing problem!” he repeated. “I can’t understand you and you won’t speak to me!”

Sarang stopped for a moment. She didn’t say anything, she just looked up at his eyes that were looking down at hers.

He was angry and frustrated, she could tell from the way he looked at her.

“What do you want me to say, Chanyeol?” her tone came out weak even when she tried to still sound strong.

“Anything, Sarang… Say anything, but don’t give me this mysterious silence.”

Sarang couldn’t breathe well. She was quietly suffocating.

Gosh she only wanted to go back to when they were like two happy kids always talking and laughing, before Hyojung showed up and ruined everything.

If only she gave them more time before showing up again… maybe by that time Sarang and Chanyeol’s relationship would have already been so stable and Sarang wouldn’t have to worry that much.

But she came back too soon. The two had just started and Sarang wasn’t sure how solid Chanyeol’s feelings were toward her.

Of course he could say he wants to be with Sarang but were those his real feelings? Did he really not miss Hyojung? Or did he not want her back just because she had betrayed him in the past?

It made a difference.

It was more than just his decision about whether he wanted to stay with Sarang or not. What really mattered to her were his real feelings.

What’s the point if he stayed but his heart wished he could be with Hyojung?

“She was lying earlier,” Sarang said. “No one really attacked her she just pretended so you could go to help her quickly. She wanted to show me that you still care about her.”

Chanyeol paused for a moment.

“What are you talking about…?” he shook his head lightly like what she just said was impossible. “Come on Sarang I know you’re mad although you shouldn’t be but you can’t accuse her of that. We both saw her getting harassed.”

“I said I wasn’t mad because you helped her I’m just saying she was pretending!” Sarang said imatiently.

“Do you even hear yourself?! This is ridiculous! Why would she do that?”

“Because she wanted to—“

“No! Do you think she’s that narrow minded and stupid?!”

Sarang laughed. She actually couldn’t believe how he was defending Hyojung when Hyojung herself told Sarang that she was up to something.

“Really Chanyeol what’s the point of telling me to talk to you when you won’t even listen to me?”

“I did listen, Sarang,” he tried to be calm again, “But what you said is just ridiculous. I’m sorry but even if you hate her you can’t—“

“I don’t hate her I’m just telling you what happen—“

Sarang lost her balance before she could even finish the sentence. Her knees got weaker as she became more and more dizzy.

“Sarang!” Chanyeol immediately held her, “Are you okay??” he asked worriedly.

Sarang couldn’t speak. She closed her eyes trying to bare the sharp pain as she felt like the room was spinning around.

“Breathe,” Chanyeol helped her into bed, “Easy… easy…” he spoke gently as he helped her extend her legs.

He instantly forgot about the fight and everything that was going on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter