Thoughts

Mina and Sana drabbles

‘Aren’t you afraid?’ Mina whispered under her breath.

‘Afraid? Of what?’ Sana turned her head slightly to look at Mina.

They had been laying side by side on the grass in silence for the past hour under the clear night sky, gazing at the stars twinkling in the darkness. The atmosphere was perfect for gathering their thoughts and reflecting on what they have done so far.

‘Just... Afraid. Afraid of the future and what might come. Doesn’t the future scare you?’ Mina asked as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

‘Well… Sure the future is unpredictable but I think that as long as we can get by day to day it will turn out alright.’ Sana replied after some thought.

Mina was silent for a few minutes as she let Sana’s words sink in.

‘But a lot can happen in a day’s time. People can be here today but gone tomorrow. Things can be okay today but roll downhill the next.’ Mina said, slipping her arm under her head to make herself more comfortable.

‘Are you okay?’ Sana furrowed her eyebrows.

‘Why? Do I not seem okay?’

‘I don’t know. You’re talking about such heavy stuff right now and it’s kind of concerning.’ Sana pursed her lips.

‘I guess I’m fine.’ Mina sighed.

‘Tell me what’s on your mind.’ Sana said as she took Mina’s free hand, raising it in the air while interlocking their fingers.

‘I don’t know where to start.’

‘Start with the first thing that comes to mind.’ Sana said gently.

‘Us.’ Mina replied without hesitation. ‘What will become of us? People say “how long do the two of you plan to keep playing around like this? It’s time for you to get serious.” Or “do you really think the two of you can keep dreaming like this? Maybe it’s time to wake up.”. Doesn’t stuff like that spark some doubt?

I know and I believe that we will last a long time to come without a problem and I don’t have a doubt but it’s just some kind of… realization? That like, hey, we’re still young and many things can happen. Heck, even a year suddenly seems like a long time. What if something unexpected crops up and we just… can’t do what we planned to do together anymore? If we broke up? Honestly, I’m scared and it’s hard not to be scared. I can’t lose you.’

‘Do you trust me?’

‘Of course I do Sana, I trust you with my life. And I believe that we can make this work but it’s just… this little voice in the back of my mind that’s telling me the opposite of what I strongly believe in. I hope you don’t get me wrong. I never thought of giving up and I never will.’ Mina squeezed Sana’s hand and the latter smiled.

‘Relax, I know what you mean. It’s okay to be scared. The future is unpredictable anyway but I promise that we can get through it together. Yea?’

Mina took one look at Sana’s warm and reassuring smile that graced her features and instantly felt the urge to agree. Maybe Sana was right. They can make it work as long as they’re together and that she shouldn’t worry too much.

‘I’m sorry.’ Mina said abruptly.

‘Why?’

‘Aren’t you getting tired of hearing my negative thoughts all the time?’

‘Why would I be? It’s your thoughts. It’s how you perceive things.’ Sana shrugged.

‘Yea but don’t I worry too much about the “What ifs”?’

‘You worrying about our future is better than you not caring at all.’

‘That’s true…’ Mina hummed.

‘Anything else on your mind?’

‘Hmm.. You.’ Mina stuck her tongue out and Sana laughed.

‘Other than me?’

‘Nothing else but you.’ Mina smiled and rolled on top of Sana who rested her hands on the girl’s waist.

‘Keep me in mind then. It would distract you from the negative things.’ Sana grinned.

‘That I shall.’ Mina whispered as she made herself comfortable in Sana’s embrace.