Coffee?

Mina and Sana drabbles

In which Mina has a little coffee addiction problem and meets Sana who happens to be sitting in her favourite seat.


 

The I4 Twin-scroll Turbo engine of the graphite grey Mercedes-AMG CLA 45 rumbled to life as the driver's door shut. 

'Right.' Mina sighed as she buckled up and pulled out of the driveway. She was on her way to her favourite Starbucks to get a cup of Iced Americano and finish reading the last chapters of her book before grabbing some dinner with her friend. 

'Hey Jihyo.' Mina gave the barista a two finger salute and grinned. 

'Hey buddy. The usual?' Jihyo smiled as she picked up a plastic cup. 

'Yep.' Mina handed Jihyo the exact change and walked to the back where her favourite seat was. The cafe was packed today and all the seats were taken by either students or office workers on their lunch break. 

Mina found that her seat was occupied by a girl with dark brown hair who was looking intensely at her computer screen. She also noted that the girl had a really small face with sharp, attractive features.

'Uh, is this seat taken?' Mina asked after clearing to get the girl's attention.

'Nope. Please, sit.' the girl smiled before returning her concentration to her laptop. Mina sat down on the chair and made herself as comfortable as she could. 

'Mina?' The girl heard Jihyo call from the counter. She swiftly walked over and took her drink. 

'I'll go get you when I'm done.' Jihyo said and went back to preparing the drinks. Mina sat back down on the armchair and took a sip, picking up her book and flipping it to her bookmark. 

She was reading a horror story which is why she decided to complete the last chapter in the cafe since it was the scariest. Call her a scaredy cat but she sure as hell was not finishing that book all alone in her own apartment. 

The character had locked herself in her own bedroom after hearing noises downstairs from the basement. It had started as whispers but now there was heavy breathing and the character hid under the blanket. The steps creaked as the unknown thing came upstairs to her room and the door knob twisted before opening it in a slow and creepy way. 

Mina could feel hear heart thumping in her chest as her eyes darted over the words. The excitement and slight fear was bubbling within her as she flipped the pages. While she read, the weather outside had changed as dark clouds warned of a brewing storm. It didn't take long before it started to pour down mercilessly. 

Out of the blue, a flash of lightning could be seen and a deafening roar of the thunder followed. Mina, who was totally oblivious to the fact that it had been raining, jumped at the sudden sound, knee jerking and she bumped the table, almost knocking the drinks over. 

'Holy .' Mina slapped the book onto her lap and placed a hand on the table to stabilize it. 'Sorry.' She bowed her head sheepishly at the other girl who had looked up from her computer to check on Mina. 

'It's okay. Scared of the thunder?' She asked with a gentle smile on her face.

'No. It's just uh.. this.' Mina raised the book before placing it on the table, taking a sip of her Iced Americano to wet her dry mouth and calm her palpitating heart. 

'Horror stories?' The brown haired girl leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms over her chest. 

'Yeah.' 

'I like horror films.' She stated randomly and Mina only smiled. The girl glanced at her watch, half an hour till the end of Jihyo's shift. 

Mina watched the girl as she got back to work, rubbing her eyes as she clicked her mouse and typed on the keyboard. The girl's eye bags were showing slightly as she worked and Mina couldn't help but feel curious. 

'Work?' Mina asked before she could stop herself from being such a busybody.

'Yeah, this project is killing me.' She chuckled as she continued to type.

'I can tell from these.' Mina said and pointed at the area under her own eyes.

They fell back into silence and Mina decided to stop reading the book lest she embarrass herself again. Instead, she opted to scroll through her social media. Half an hour passed pretty quickly when you're occupied because Jihyo was already changed into her casual clothes and stood behind Mina.

'Ready to go?' Jihyo asked as she looked at the other girl sitting across the table. 'Your friend?'

'Nah, just sharing a table.' Mina smiled and gathered her things. ‘Thanks.’

‘No problem.’ The girl smiled and Mina left.

‘So where do you want to eat? I found a pretty good Italian restaurant a few blocks away and there’s a mall nearby too. Maybe we could go stuff ourselves then walk around?’ Jihyo asked as she grabbed an umbrella from the stand.

‘Sounds good. My car is just around the corner.’ Mina said as Jihyo opened the umbrella and they stepped out. The rain pelted against their umbrella and they huddled together to avoid getting drenched. They turned the corner and Mina took the umbrella from Jihyo, sheltering her as she got into the car.’

‘Ready to go?’ Mina asked as she started the engine.

‘Wait.’ Jihyo patted her coat pockets.

‘What did you forget this time.’ Mina rolled her eyes with a little smile.

‘My wallet. I’ll be quick.’ Jihyo sheepishly grinned and took the umbrella from Mina before getting out of the car and walking quickly back to the café.

Mina looked out of the window as the rain continued to pour. The sound of rain splattering against the roof of the car made it really tempting to take a little nap. Jihyo returned after five minutes with a little bag for the umbrella to make sure it doesn’t drip all over the carpeted mats on the floor.

‘Okay, let’s go.’ The barista said as she placed the umbrella down between the seat and the door.

Mina switched gear and drove down the road, making a right which would take them past the entrance. As she checked for cars in her blindspot, she noticed a familiar figure standing infront of the café entrance.

‘Hold on a sec.’ Mina asid and turned out onto the road, switching on her hazard lights before pulling up infront of the figure. She rolled down her side window.

‘Hey!’ Mina shouted over the sound of the pouring rain. The girl turned towards Mina and smiled.

‘yea?’ She tilted her head to the side in question.

‘Get in! I’ll give you a lift!’ Mina waved her hands.

‘It’s okay! I can get a cab!’

‘I insist!’ Mina smiled and the girl pursed her lips in thought before running towards the car and hopping in quickly before she got drenched.

‘Thanks.’ She said from the back.

‘I haven’t got your name yet.’ Mina said as she drove off.

‘Sana. Minatozaki Sana.’ Sana smiled at Mina who glanced at her through the rear view mirror.

‘So, where do you want me to drop you off?’

‘I’ll give you the directions.’

Jihyo, who had been quietly observing their interaction, turned her head to look out of the window to hide her smile.

‘Here?’ Mina turned into a building and stopped under the drop-off shelter.

‘Yep. Thank you so much.’ Sana said as she undid her seatbelt and grabbed her laptop.

Mina quickly got out of the car and Jihyo looked at her in question.

‘Wait a little.’ Mina mouthed before she shut the door. She opened the back door and Sana got out.

‘I’ll walk you.’ The girl offered and Sana’s eyes widened.

‘Ah, you don’t have to really.’ Sana shook her head.

‘Please?’ Mina asked.

‘Well.. What about your friend?’ Sana looked at the car.

‘It’s okay, we’ll be quick.’ Mina began walking into the building and Sana followed. Mina pressed the button and they waited for the lift.

‘You can go, it’s really alright.’ Sana said and bowed a little.

‘You really don’t want me here huh? I’m not a bad person you know?’ Mina teased and Sana shook her head vigorously.

‘No no, I don’t mean it that way. I just don’t want to trouble you too much. I know you’re not bad. If you were, you wouldn’t have offered me a ride.’

‘Alright, I’ll be going then. Take care.’ Mina waved before quickly walking back out. Sana watched as the girl got into her car and drove off.

 


 

Mina was back at the café, but this time, it wasn’t for Jihyo or her book. The café wasn’t so packed today and there were plenty of empty seats but Mina decided to plop down on a seat across the table from a girl whose face was hidden by the laptop screen. The girl raised her head from her laptop to look at the sudden presence and a smile spread across her face.

‘Hello.’ Mina greeted first with a grin. ‘Do you mind?’

‘Not at all, but why here? I mean..’ Sana trailed off as she looked around at the empty seats around the café.

‘Just thought I’d keep you company. If I’m disturbing you I’ll move away.’ Mina added quickly.

‘You won’t be.’ Sana smiled and got back to work. Mina got up to place her order and waited by the counter for her drink.

‘Jihyo isn’t here today.’ The barista said.

‘You make it sound like I always come just to have her make my drinks.’ Mina rolled her eyes as she reached over the counter to flick the girl’s head.

‘Hey!’ the girl rolled her eyes as she closed the cash register and proceeded to pump syrup into the plastic cup. ‘Of course you don’t. That’s my girlfriend.’ The girl rolled her eyes and Mina laughed.

‘Yeah yeah, I’m not keen on getting jumped by a rabbit anyway.’ Mina leaned over the counter and whispered. ‘Nabongs.’

Instantly, a chip of ice was thrown in Mina’s way and the girl dodged it and let out a loud laugh, earning the attention of the customers in the nearby tables.

‘Eesh.’ Nayeon raised another ice cube and Mina laughed even harder. She capped the lid onto the cup and handed it to Mina. ‘Go away.’ She told the girl in a joking manner and Mina took the cup.

‘Thanks.’ Mina chuckled and walked back to Sana’s table.

‘You work here?’ Sana asked when Mina sat down.

‘Nope. I just come so often that all the baristas are my friends.’ Mina stirred her Mocha Frappuccino.

‘I see. Coffee addict?’ Sana chuckled.

‘It is a little bit of a problem.’ Mina laughed and leaned back in her seat. ‘Still working on that project?’

‘Yeah. It’s almost done though. Can’t wait to get back to bed and relax again.’ Sana sighed.

‘Good luck.’ The girl smiled and unlocked her phone to play a game.

They must have sat at the café for at least two hours before Sana let out aother sigh and leaned back into her seat.

‘You’re done?’ Mina asked without looking up from her phone.

‘Yeah. Youre still here?’

‘Of course. I have nothing to do so why not sit here?’ Mina killed the last monster and looked up at Sana. The girl began to pack up her things and closed her laptop. ‘Need a ride?’

‘How can I trouble you again?’ Sana said and shook her head. ‘I’m going to have dinner.’

‘With someone?’

‘Alone.’

‘Then would you mind having dinner with me?’ Mina asked and turned her car key in her hand.

‘Are you asking me out?’ Sana stopped backing and looked at Mina who didn’t even flinch.

‘Yes?’

‘I’ll go.’ Sana laughed, shouldering her bag and hugged her laptop.

‘I’ll get that for you.’ Mina took Sana’s laptop and the girl muttered a small thank you.

‘You can put those in the back.’ Mina said as she opened the back door and placed the laptop carefully onto the seat. She took Sana’s bag and placed it beside the laptop and shut the door. They got in the car and buckled up.

‘What do you want to eat?’ Mina asked as the engine rumbled to life.

‘Japanese? I miss Japanese food.’ Sana looked at Mina.

‘Japanese it is then. I miss Japanese food too.’ The girl chuckled and pulled out of the parking lot.

‘You’re Japanese?’

‘Yeah. This name is a little misleading isn’t it. It could be either Korean or Japanese.’ Mina laughed.

‘True. Can I ask you something?’

‘What is it? It’s a little unsettling whenever someone asks that kinda question.’

‘Why would you take someone you barely know out for dinner? You’re not a bad person but what if I’m a serial killer?’ Sana asked.

‘Maybe I should ask you to get out then?’ Mina joked as she stopped at a red light. ‘Well, I don’t know. I’ll just go out on a limb here. You’re pretty. Really pretty.’

Sana didn’t know what to say after hearing that and a blush spread across her cheeks.

‘So you like picking up pretty girls?’

‘That sounds weird but no. I don’t. It’s just you I guess.’ Mina laughed. ‘I don’t know really. I just feel like being your friend.’

‘You’re interesting for sure.’ Sana giggled.

‘I’m glad my dinner date didn’t run away.’ Mina chortled and stepped on the gas.

 

Dinner was great and they left the restaurant feeling stuffed and in a light mood.

‘Was it good?’ Sana asked Mina who was stretching.

‘It was thanks.’ Mina grinned and opened the door for Sana. ‘Home?

‘Yap.’ Sana yawned.

‘Want to take a nap? I won’t kidnap you I promise.’ Mina sniggered.

‘No it’s okay.’ Sana chuckled.

Mina switched on the entertainment system and selected some classical music. The drive to Sana’s house was pretty smooth and they arrived in no time. The shorter girl grabbed Sana’s bag and laptop from the back and walked towards the lobby with the girl walking behind her.

‘Thanks for waiting for me, taking me for lunch, driving me home and sending me to my doorstep.’ Sana listed.

‘No worries.’ Mina shot the girl her charming lopsided grin. ‘Will I have the honour of taking you out for lunch tomorrow? Or someday?’

‘You’re a bold one aren’t you?’ Sana giggled and winked before closing the door without giving Mina an answer. The girl froze outside with a smile on her face and shook her head, turning to walk away. She was halfway down the corridor when she heard a door open and Sana calling out for her.

‘Hey, Mina!’

The girl turned around and Sana beckoned at her to walk back.

‘Yes?’ Mina asked with her hands tucked in her jean pockets as she stepped up to Sana who was leaning on the door frame with her arms crossed over her chest.

‘You might want to have this.’ Sana extended her hand towards Mina with a slip of paper clipped between her index and middle finger.

‘Why thank you.’ Mina smiled and took the paper.

‘Goodnight Mina.’ The girl said as Mina walked away.

‘G’night Sana.’ She turned around and walked backwards down the corridor and disappeared round the corner.

She read the slightly rushed and messy handwriting on the note in her hand and a wide grin spread across her face.

I’ll be looking forward to that lunch you offered me. Text me when you get home safely.

02-413-2912