Chapter 9

A Spot of Dither

A/N: Wow. I'm enjoying writing this story so much for some reason! ^^ And I can't believe this started off as a one-shot and now I'm on my nineth chapter~ Everybody, I hope you enjoy this chapter~ Thank you!! ^^

 

After arriving back at Mingyu and Hansol’s apartment, Wonwoo and Seungkwan had gotten straight to work on their assignment, and Hansol had retreated into his own bedroom. After about two hours of working on ideas and lyrics, the two were trying their best to push forward and finish them.

However, Mingyu who was seated across from Wonwoo and Seungkwan on the dining room table, wouldn’t stop drumming his fingers along the bench, glancing up at the clock and back to Wonwoo almost every time the minute hand reached the number twelve.

‘Hey, do you know what would be fun?’ Mingyu suddenly said, fishing his phone out of his back pocket ‘If we listened to some music for inspiration’

‘Mingyu, put your phone away’ Wonwoo said, lifting up his head from his laptop screen.

Wonwoo and Seungkwan had already came up with some great ideas for lyrics, when Mingyu had interrupted Wonwoo from typing out those ideas.

‘Why not? That’s not fair’

Mingyu let a pout form on his lips, slipping the phone back into his pocket.

‘We already know what sort of lyrics we want to make, sorry Mr. tall and handsome’ Seungkwan clarified.

‘Oh, are you writing them down now?’ Mingyu questioned, shuffling over to the other side of the table to lean right over Wonwoo’s shoulder.

Wonwoo nodded, trying to focus on writing everything down that he and Seungkwan had previously discussed.

‘So what was that sentence you suggested to start the chorus with?’ Wonwoo asked to Seungkwan, trying to ignore Mingyu’s breath practically breathing down his neck.

His breath felt warm and made Wonwoo feel fuzzy.

I remember those times’ Seungkwan said in English, not sounding too sure whether he pronounced it correctly ‘Hansol suggested it as a lyric for our project during lunch; everything sounds cooler in English’

Wonwoo nodded in agreement, jotting down the lyric idea.

‘Now we just have to think of some lyrics for the second verse, and I think we should be done for the day’ Wonwoo suggested, rubbing his sore and tired eyes.

‘Yeah, I agree’ Seungkwan said ‘I’m exhausted’

‘Can we do something fun after this?’ Mingyu asked, taking in a sharp breath of air before accidentally sneezing onto Wonwoo’s laptop screen.

‘ Mingyu, that’s disgusting’ Wonwoo complained, pushing the taller boy away ‘What happened to your handkerchief, you said you would use it’

‘I think I left it in my bag?’ Mingyu shrugged ‘I’ll use it next time, promise’

Mingyu gave a sheepish grin before Wonwoo shook his head.

‘Mingyu, go to your room’ Wonwoo said, pointing down the hall.

‘What? You’re not my dad’ Mingyu complained.

Wonwoo glared Mingyu in the eyes, continuing to point in the general direction of Mingyu’s bedroom.

‘Fine’ Mingyu gave in, childishly stomping down the hall of his own apartment.

Wonwoo attempted to hold in a laugh, failing and resulting in air escaping from his lips as he wiped his laptop screen with his sweater paws in disgust.

‘Wow. You got him whipped’ Seungkwan joked, taking a sip from the glass of water Mingyu poured when they had arrived.

‘I guess I do’ Wonwoo said thoughtfully with a small chuckle.

After about another half an hour, Wonwoo and Seungkwan had finally written three pages full of lyrics for their assignment. The next task would be to work out a melody, and other tasks to do with the composition of the piece.

‘Can you play any instruments?’ Seungkwan asked Wonwoo, as the both of them were starting to pack away their things.

‘I used to take guitar lessons back in junior high school, but I don’t remember a thing’ Wonwoo said, scratching the back of his head ‘But I heard that my friend’s boyfriend is skilled at playing the piano’

‘Oh okay, that’s great’ Seungkwan nodded ‘One of my friend’s from church is great on the guitar. I guess we can use them in making our music’

‘I can play the triangle!’ Mingyu suddenly interrupted, shouting excitedly from his room ‘Please let me help!’

Wonwoo rolled his eyes, putting his laptop back into his backpack.

‘Just what we needed!’ Seungkwan shouted back ‘Triangle player auditions are at 10 am in the university campus library tomorrow!’

Wonwoo snickered when he heard Mingyu cheering from down the hall.

‘I’ll blow your socks off with my skills!’

‘You’ve got quite a catch there’ Seungkwan commented, looking at the time ‘I think I should be going, my mum wanted me home by nine tonight’

Wonwoo nodded, bidding farewell to Boo Seungkwan. Seungkwan was about to leave through the front door when Hansol appeared from his room, a video game about zombies in his hand.

‘Um… hey, I know your about to leave but, do you want to play this game together?’ Hansol said, awkwardly holding up the game.

‘Oh um, yeah I guess I can’ Seungkwan answered ‘I’ll just text my mum to tell her I’ll be a little bit late home’

The two younger boys both disappeared into Hansol’s room, leaving Wonwoo standing in the dining room alone. Wonwoo smiled when he heard Seungkwan's loud commentary of the game through the walls of the apartment. He was glad that Hansol had made a new friend.

After awkwardly grabbing a bag of potato chips from the kitchen cupboard, Wonwoo made his way down the hall and into Mingyu’s room.

‘I’m kind of hungry, do you mind if we share these?’ Wonwoo questioned, throwing the bag onto Mingyu’s bed.

Mingyu looked up from his notes. Wonwoo was surprised to see Mingyu actually studying diligently for once.

‘No, that’s fine’ Mingyu said, tossing his notes to the side and opening the packet of chips ‘I was pretty hungry too from all this studying’

Wonwoo shoved Mingyu, taking a handful for himself.

‘Are you kidding? You were studying for like an hour at the most’

‘I like how comfortable you’re starting to become with me’ Mingyu suddenly said, scooting over to sit right next to Wonwoo.

Wonwoo couldn’t control his blush as he felt Mingyu’s thighs brush against his own.

‘How do you know I’m comfortable with you?’

Mingyu smiled, resting his head on Wonwoo’s shoulder.

‘You show small signs’ Mingyu said, nuzzling into Wonwoo’s neck ‘I don’t think you’re as embarrassed of me anymore, you let me do skin ship, and you’re starting to feel more at home here I think’

Wonwoo could feel Mingyu’s breath brushing against his neck yet again as he spoke, causing him to shiver.

‘I’m glad to see I have that effect on you’ Mingyu whispered directly into Wonwoo’s ear, causing him to tense up noticeably.

‘What effect?’ Wonwoo said, trying to sound unaffected but his voice came out shaky ‘You’re clumsy, gross, and annoying’

‘Smart, tall, and handsome’ Mingyu corrected him, placing a soft and long lasting kiss on Wonwoo’s jawline.

Wonwoo closed his eyes, trying to keep in a moan. This kiss felt different from the simple and innocent kiss on the cheek last week. Was he even ready for this yet? But Mingyu’s lips felt so good against his skin… They would taste even better on his lips…

Wonwoo couldn’t take it any longer as Mingyu decided to nibble at the skin on Wonwoo’s neck. He let out a moan, letting his head roll back slightly.

‘You’re beautiful’ Mingyu murmured ‘Ever since I walked into that restaurant on our first date, I thought you were amazing’

Wonwoo let a small smile play on his lips as he recalled that moment. He thought Mingyu was a complete and utter idiot.

‘You fell for me’ Wonwoo said, remembering Mingyu literally falling over in front of him.

Mingyu giggled into Wonwoo’s neck, bringing his hand up to run it through Wonwoo’s dark hair.

Wonwoo bit his lip as Mingyu lifted his head from where it was rested, looking into Wonwoo’s blank eyes.

‘I love you’ Mingyu said before leaning in with his lips puckered.

Wonwoo tried not to laugh at how ridiculous Mingyu looked with his eyes shut tight and his lips pursed out.

Suddenly, Mingyu opened his eyes.

‘I don’t look that funny, and you’re supposed to close your eyes when someone is trying to kiss you, you idiot’ Mingyu pointed out ‘I’m trying to kiss you right now’

‘What? Oh my god. Okay’ Wonwoo said, quickly closing his eyes and mimicking the face Mingyu had been pulling earlier.

Mingyu began to laugh.

‘Wow. You’re right, that looks ridiculous’ Mingyu said in between childish giggles ‘It looks so stupid; no wonder people close their eyes while they kiss’

Wonwoo opened his eyes and frowned.

‘Are you going to take my first kiss, or what?’

Mingyu wiped the tears of laughter from his eyes.

‘Okay, okay. I’d love to take that honour’

Once they had stopped messing around, both Wonwoo and Mingyu closed their eyes. As they inched closer to each other, Mingyu’s lips clashed with Wonwoo’s.

It started off as innocent, but Mingyu took the initiative, pushing his tongue through Wonwoo’s closed lips.

As Mingyu explored the inside of Wonwoo’s mouth, he ran his hands through Wonwoo’s hair again. It felt soft to Mingyu’s touch.

After a while, both boys began to run out of breath, pulling away from each other.

Mingyu continued to mess around with Wonwoo’s hair as Wonwoo looked up at Mingyu in awe. He had never imagined his first kiss to feel so amazing. He felt like he was floating on air; he didn’t feel awkward or nervous at all the entire time.

‘That was the best first kiss I could have asked for’ Wonwoo whispered, leaning into Mingyu’s touch.

Mingyu smiled, rubbing Wonwoo’s thigh with his other hand.

‘So, I guess its official now huh?’ Mingyu announced ‘Finally we are a couple. Now you can call me your loyal boyfriend’

‘Woah, when did I say that?’ Wonwoo said with a smirk ‘We’re just very good friends. Aren’t we?’

Mingyu looked like a hurt puppy, and Wonwoo grinned. It was fun to make Mingyu wait.

‘I think I should get going back to my apartment’ Wonwoo finally said, after they had been snuggling in Mingyu’s bed for a few minutes.

‘Can’t you stay please?’ Mingyu whined, clinging to Wonwoo tighter.

‘I really should go’ Wonwoo said ‘I’ve stayed here the past three nights and I’ve run out of clean clothes’

Mingyu pouted letting Wonwoo go.

‘Do you really have to leave?’

‘Some people actually take care of their hygeine Mingyu' Wonwoo joked ‘And besides, we’ll see each other tomorrow. It’s Valentine’s Day, remember? That one awful holiday that you insist on celebrating’

Mingyu smiled. ‘Of course I remember. I have something really awesome planned, trust me’

‘I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? Maybe I’ll even enjoy this Valentine’s Day’ Wonwoo said thoughtfully, putting on his coat.

‘I’ll make sure you enjoy it’ Mingyu smiled happily ‘I love you’

Wonwoo blushed; he didn’t think he would ever get used to Mingyu telling him that he loved him.

Wonwoo leaned in to plant a soft kiss onto Mingyu’s even softer lips, waving to him goodbye as he was about to leave the room.

‘And Mingyu?’ Wonwoo said, popping his head back through the door.

‘Yes?’ Mingyu asked, looking up at Wonwoo with sleepy eyes.

“Iloveyoutoo’ Wonwoo said quickly, blushing hard before rushing out of the apartment.

As Wonwoo left the building and entered into the cool night air, he felt giddy. Maybe this was the way Soonyoung felt around Jihoon? Or maybe how his mother felt when she and his father were young?

Whatever it was, Wonwoo didn’t think he minded it. As hard as he finds to express and come to terms with feelings, he felt like he really did love Mingyu.

After the short walk home, Wonwoo poured himself a glass of milk before he went into his own bedroom, finally getting himself into some fresh pyjamas. Wonwoo sighed, taking a drink of the warm milk and wrapping himself into a cocoon with his bed covers.

He drifted asleep thinking about the things Mingyu might have planned for Valentine’s Day. With Mingyu being such a romantic, Wonwoo assumed it was going to be something good. Although, Wonwoo never really appreciated the idea of Valentine’s Day, he had a feeling he would enjoy this one together with Kim Mingyu.

After ten minutes, Wonwoo was sound asleep and snoring softly. It wasn’t until around two in the morning, that he was jolted awake by the sound of knocking on his door.

Who the hell was knocking on his door at this late hour? If it was somebody trying to sell him something, Wonwoo thought he was going to scream.

Not even bothering to make himself look presentable, Wonwoo dragged himself out of bed and slipped on a pair of slippers. His hair sticking up in all sorts of directions and his pyjamas probably looked tacky with the cartoon rabbits printed all over them, but Wonwoo didn’t care because he was too tired and annoyed.

Once he opened the door, he scratched his head in confusion. At his doorstep was Kim Mingyu.

‘Shouldn’t you be asleep?’ he asked, giving a big yawn.

It wasn’t until Mingyu stepped forward slightly, that Wonwoo noticed the distressed look on his face. The closer Wonwoo looked, he realised Mingyu had been crying.

‘Are you okay?’ Wonwoo asked, moving to place a hand on Mingyu’s shoulder.

Mingyu flinched and avoided Wonwoo’s touch.

‘Am I okay?’ Mingyu sulked, almost sounding pissed off ‘Of course I’m not okay’