Chapter 10

A Spot of Dither

A/N: I apologise if this update isn't as good as the previous ones, but I was busy over the weekend and I had a little bit of writer's block towards the end, and I wasn't entirely happy with the second half of the chapter. Also, I haven't checked over the grammar and spelling, etc. Thank you for reading this story so far, I appreciate it!! ^^

 

Am I okay?’ Mingyu sulked ‘Of course I’m not okay’

Wonwoo was utterly confused. It was 2 am, he was exhausted, and had just had his sleep interrupted by Mingyu. He was showing nothing but concern for the taller boy, yet Mingyu was acting annoyed with him. Wonwoo didn’t understand the other’s behaviour.

‘Why aren’t you okay?’ Wonwoo asked, stepping to the side ‘Do you want to come in?’

Mingyu pushed passed Wonwoo, entering the apartment. Facing into the living room, Mingyu ran his hands through his own hair.

‘Are you really asking me why I’m not okay?’ Mingyu’s voice wavered.

‘Um… yes?’ Wonwoo said, becoming uncomfortable with the way Mingyu was acting.

‘Are you kidding me?’ Mingyu chuckled bitterly ‘I just can’t believe you’re breaking up with me; I thought you were starting to open up to me, and then you tell me I’m too clingy. I’m sorry I came all the way here. I just needed to make sure you meant what you said’

Wonwoo froze. What was Mingyu even talking about? Why would he want to break up? And sure, he had to admit Mingyu was a little clingy but Wonwoo was starting to like that about him. Wonwoo’s head felt dizzy at the sudden situation.

‘Mingyu, I don’t know what you’re talking about’ Wonwoo said, rubbing his eyes ‘I’m tired’

‘Are you kidding me?’ Mingyu groaned, looking down at his feet ‘Don’t just go back to sleep; can’t we at least talk about this? You told me not to bother seeing you again, but I can’t just let you go…’

‘Mingyu, I told you last night that I love you’ Wonwoo said ‘So I don’t know what you are talking about. When did I ever tell you I wanted to break up? When did I tell you not to bother seeing me again? I thought we were seeing each other tomorrow?’

‘What do you mean?’ Mingyu questioned, scratching his head ‘You texted me like an hour ago; you found your phone in your coat pocket, remember? You told me you didn’t want to see me again’

‘I don’t even have my phone, and last time I checked my coat doesn’t have pockets’ Wonwoo answered ‘Is this some kind of joke? Because I’m really tired Mingyu’

‘You…You didn’t find your phone?’ Mingyu confirmed ‘But… then… who were the messages from?’

Mingyu passed his phone over to Wonwoo.

‘The messages came from your phone, right? I’m not blind, am I?’ Mingyu asked, chewing his bottom lip as he watched Wonwoo scroll through his messages.

Wonwonnie 1:21 am

Mingyu, I’m sorry I am messaging you this late but I have something important I need to tell you (p.s. I found my phone in my coat pocket!)

Mingyu 1:22 am

it better b important! u could just tell me later. we r spending all day together tomorrow anyway :D I have a lot planned!! ^-^y

Wonwonnie 1:27 am

It’s something that I need to tell you now. My feelings for you aren’t the same as they were when we first started dating. I think we should break up before things get too serious.

Mingyu 1:35 am

Is this some kind of joke? Why would you break up with me; did I do something wrong? I’m coming to your apartment right now. I need to hear this from you in person.

Wonwonnie 1:35 am

I’m sorry Mingyu. You are too clingy, it’s starting to become annoying. And don’t bother coming to my apartment please. If you love me, you will let me go. Please just… don’t bother seeing me again.

‘I definitely didn’t write this’ Wonwoo muttered, furrowing his eyebrows ‘I get why this put you in a ty mood though’

Mingyu felt himself release a sigh of relief.

‘I’m not too clingy?’ he asked, tilting his head to the side.

‘You’re just the right amount of clingy’ Wonwoo reassured him with a chuckle.

‘Who would have messaged me with your phone though? Do you think it was somebody playing a prank on us?’

Wonwoo thought for a moment, briefly looking over the messages once more. Then it hit him like a tonne of bricks. It all made sense to him now. Seeing Liu Yifei at the restaurant, losing his phone, making Mingyu think their relationship was over. Of course it was Liu Yifei.

‘Liu Yifei’ Wonwoo said, offering no explanation.

‘What? Do you really think it was her?’ Mingyu asked, not wanting to believe this.

‘She did vow she would take her revenge on us’ Wonwoo pointed out ‘And she really wanted you to go to China with her…’

‘I don’t want to believe it’ Mingyu said ‘But, I think you’re right’

Mingyu sighed, closing the gap between them and wrapping his arms around Wonwoo’s waist.

Wonwoo rest his head on Mingyu’s chest, still holding onto Mingyu’s phone.

‘Look, all we have to do is block my old number’ Wonwoo said, hovering his finger over the block button.

‘Do it please’ Mingyu encouraged, sounding exasperated ‘All I want is for her to leave us alone’

Wonwoo nodded into Mingyu’s chest, hitting the block number button before slipping the mobile into Mingyu’s side pocket.

‘Now, can we please go to sleep? I feel like I haven’t slept in days’ Wonwoo spoke, the sound muffled by Mingyu’s shirt.

“We”? Are you inviting me to sleep with you?’ Mingyu asked, playfully moving his hand that was resting on Wonwoo’s waist a bit lower.

Wonwoo blushed, untangling himself from Mingyu’s arms.

‘Stop doing that, I’m tired’ Wonwoo complained ‘And of course I’m inviting you to stay. You shouldn’t have to go back to your house at this time of night’

Mingyu grinned, following Wonwoo to the older boy’s room.

‘Do you need any clothes to change into?’ Wonwoo asked as Mingyu slipped under the covers.

‘No, I’ll be okay’ Mingyu assured him ‘I’ll just duck back home tomorrow and get changed’

‘If you say so’ Wonwoo said, also snuggling underneath the pile of blankets.

‘Did I tell you how cute you look in those pyjamas?’ Mingyu said, pretending to bite Wonwoo’s shoulder.

Wonwoo blushed, hiding his face under the sheets.

‘Just go to sleep Mingyu, you don’t want to be tired on Valentine’s Day, do you?’

Mingyu suddenly started spooning Wonwoo, shutting his eyes tight.

‘You’re right. I’ll see you in the morning. You’re going to be over the moon with what I prepared’ he said, suddenly becoming quiet.

Wonwoo sighed softly. He was trapped by Mingyu’s arms wrapped tightly around him. He wasn’t necessarily uncomfortable, but he could barely move at all. Although, he did feel warm, and his stomach was fluttering with butterflies. Wonwoo didn’t think he would get much more sleep.

As he was facing the window, Wonwoo took this chance to look out at the rain. It had started to rain fairly heavily with the presence of thunder after they had both entered his bedroom. He was glad that Mingyu and he were safely inside soaking up each other’s warmth.

As he stared blankly out the window, he could have sworn he had seen something rustling in the branches of the tree visible from his apartment story. It was most likely some sort of rodent. He distinctly remembers the last time a rodent had climbed up that tree and jumped into his open bedroom window. He had screamed so loud that his downstairs neighbour had come up to see if he was alright.

Not long after that, his eyes became heavy and started to close. It wasn’t long before he was sleeping soundly like Mingyu.

 

Wonwoo awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside the now open window; the sunshine brushed against his face as he opened his eyes. He noticed the missing extra warmth beside him as he spread out his limbs.

‘Mingyu?’ he wondered out loud, as he snuggled up to an abandoned pillow.

He buried his face into the softness of the fluffy pillow; there was no way he was getting up anytime soon.

‘Good morning’ a voice said, entering into the bedroom.

Wonwoo recognized the voice as Mingyu’s. Along with Mingyu’s voice, was the smell of a freshly made breakfast. Wonwoo realised just how hungry he felt, and internally thanked Mingyu for being such a great cook.

‘Good morning’ Wonwoo eventually said back, his voice muffled by the pillow.

Wonwoo suddenly felt a dip in the edge of the bed, and heard the sound of something being placed on his bedside table.

‘Happy Valentine’s Day’ Mingyu said; you could almost hear the smile in his voice.

Wonwoo let go of the soft pillow and propped himself up into a sitting position, resting his back on the headboard of his bed.

‘Valentine’s Day is a stupid holiday’ Wonwoo said ‘But Happy Valentine’s Day Mingyu’

Mingyu grinned, taking a plate from the table beside the bed, handing it to Wonwoo before taking a plate for himself.

‘I made you breakfast in bed’ he announced proudly.

‘That’s the most cheesy thing anyone has ever done for me, but thank you’ Wonwoo smiled ‘I’d much rather eat here in bed’

As they both ate the breakfast that Mingyu had prepared, Wonwoo told Mingyu the story about the rodent that had managed to enter into his house.

‘You screamed? I can’t imagine your deep voice screaming so hard at a little rodent’ Mingyu bent over, laughing so hard that the orange juice he had been drinking escaped through his nose.

‘Mingyu, that’s disgusting! You got orange juice all over my clean sheets’ Wonwoo complained, attempting to wipe it off with a napkin.

‘You’re the one who made me laugh while I was drinking it!’ Mingyu shot back, taking the napkin from Wonwoo.

‘I’ll clean your sheets later, for now you have to go and get dressed’ Mingyu said, throwing the napkin into the small trash can in the corner of the room.

‘What? No’ Wonwoo said ‘Can’t I just sleep a little longer?’

Mingyu shook his head.

‘I have a whole day planned out for us’ Mingyu said, getting Wonwoo to stand up ‘So go and get ready, or I’ll shoot more orange juice from my nose’

Wonwoo rolled his eyes, collecting clothes for him to change into before heading into the shower. After spending about five minutes cleaning himself, Wonwoo got dressed and went back into his room.

When Mingyu wasn’t there, he made his way into the kitchen, not forgetting to quickly grab a box that had been in his wardrobe for a few days. His back was facing away from Wonwoo as he hurriedly washed the dishes he had used when making breakfast.

‘You don’t have to do that’ Wonwoo commented, holding tightly onto the box.

Mingyu turned around, stopping what he was doing.

‘Are you ready to go?’

Wonwoo nodded his head, approaching Mingyu.

‘I know I said I didn’t really celebrate Valentine’s Day’ Wonwoo began ‘But I got you something I saw a few days ago’

Mingyu looked at the box curiously, as Wonwoo opened it he grinned. Sitting in the box were two identical rings.

‘I know it’s kind of cheesy, but you like cheesy. So… couple rings’ Wonwoo said awkwardly.

‘I do like cheesy’ Mingyu admitted ‘This is the best Valentine’s Day’

Mingyu smiled from ear to ear as he slipped on his ring, and Wonwoo wore his ring.

‘Now we’re like, an official couple, right?’

‘Yeah, I guess it is’ Wonwoo admitted, giving a small smile.

 ‘Please call me “boyfriend” just once?’ Mingyu begged, adjusting the ring on his finger.

‘You’re pushing it Kim Mingyu’ Wonwoo joked, shaking his head.

‘You’re definitely no fun Wonwoo’ Mingyu pouted, pulling out a blindfold from his pocket and waving it around.

‘Now let’s get going, shall we?’ Mingyu said, suddenly forcing the blindfold onto Wonwoo.

‘Wait, what’s going on? Kim Mingyu, what are you doing to me?’ Wonwoo complained, trying to get out of the blindfold.

‘Stop struggling’ Mingyu said ‘I’m taking you somewhere, and it’s a surprise’

‘You could have just asked me to close my eyes or something’ Wonwoo muttered.

‘Where would the fun in that be?’ Mingyu questioned, a sparkle in his eyes.

After a short blindfolded car ride and a short walk being led by Mingyu, Mingyu finally stopped Wonwoo from walking.

‘Can I know where we are now?’ Wonwoo questioned ‘I think I forget what sunlight looks like’

Mingyu laughed, finally removing the blindfold from Wonwoo’s eyes.

Once Wonwoo’s eyes had adjusted to the light, he recognized that they were standing in front of the restaurant where their blind first date and second date had taken place.

Mingyu grinned, taking a hold of Wonwoo’s hand.

‘If you look straight through the glass window that was where I first saw you’ Mingyu explained, pointing through the window where the table Wonwoo was sitting on that night could clearly be seen ‘You looked so handsome but mysterious; I wanted to find out more. I noticed there was another guy sitting alone by the window. He looked cute, but I was kind of hoping that you would be my blind date. When the waitress showed me to my table, I was so excited that I fell over’

Wonwoo smiled, trying to hide his blush with his sweater paws.

‘What did you think about me when you first saw me?’ Mingyu asked.

Wonwoo thought for a moment, remembering the night in question.

‘Well, I thought you were definitely tall and handsome’ Wonwoo said ‘But the moment you walked over to the table you ruined your image’

‘Was it the tripping over, or was it when I sneezed on you?’ Mingyu asked, turning away from the restaurant and walking with Wonwoo across the road.

‘I think it was both’ Wonwoo confirmed, following Mingyu’s lead.

After they had crossed the road, they entered a park, walking around hand in hand.

‘Should we get ice-cream?’ Mingyu asked, swinging their hands back and forth.

‘Sure’ Wonwoo agreed, heading towards the ice-cream stand inside the park.

‘I’ll have a chocolate’ Mingyu requested as they both approached the ice-cream stand.

‘And I’ll have vanilla’ Wonwoo said.

‘Isn’t vanilla a little boring?’ Mingyu joked as the man began making the ice-creams.

‘Not everyone can be as interesting as you’ Wonwoo said back, poking Mingyu’s chest.

‘Here are the two ice-creams’ the man behind the ice-cream stand said, handing Mingyu the chocolate ice-cream before handing Wonwoo a bouquet of flowers.

Wonwoo stared at it, appearing confused.

‘What is this for?’ Wonwoo questioned.

‘They're for you’ the man said, still holding out the bunch of flowers.

Wonwoo reluctantly took them, looking to Mingyu for some sort of explanation.

‘Surprise’ Mingyu grinned, his icy treat.

‘You planned this?’ Wonwoo blushed, taking the vanilla ice-cream in his other hand as the man offered it to him.

‘Maybe’ he said with a wink that turned out more like blinking.

‘Thank you’ Wonwoo said, smelling the flowers ‘They’re nice; even though flowers are so cliché’

‘But isn’t that what Valentine’s Day is all about?’

The two of them sat in a spot on the grass after Mingyu had laid out a picnic blanket, eating their ice-creams.

Wonwoo shook his head as he noticed chocolate ice-cream smeared on Mingyu’s chin. He leant over to wipe it off with his thumb.

Mingyu kissed Wonwoo’s finger before he pulled it away.

‘Do you know what else I’d like to kiss?’ Mingyu asked, leaning in closer to Wonwoo.

‘I think I can guess’ Wonwoo answered, closing the gap between them.

After mere moments since their lips had touched, Mingyu pushed Wonwoo onto his back and broke the kiss.

‘Let’s lay down’ he said, lying beside Wonwoo on the blanket ‘Look at the sky’

Wonwoo gave Mingyu another look of confusion before doing what Mingyu had asked.

In the sky, Wonwoo watched on in awe and slight embarrassment as their names, Mingyu + Wonwoo <3, was written in the sky by an airplane. He didn’t know what to think or what to say. Mingyu wasn’t joking when he said he loved Valentine’s Day.

‘You really do like surprises' he laughed.

‘Of course I do. And do you know why I like preparing them for you?’ Mingyu asked ‘Because I love you’

Wonwoo blushed at what Mingyu had said, looking back up at the sky as their names started to fade.

‘I’ve really grown attached to you after this month Mingyu’ Wonwoo looked back to Mingyu, gazing at him with lazy eyes ‘I know it hasn’t been long, but I feel comfortable with you. Thank you Mingyu, and I love you’

Mingyu smiled softly, looking back into Wonwoo’s eyes.

‘Hearing you say I love you is better than anything I could ever plan for Valentine’s Day’ he said.

Wonwoo took hold of Mingyu’s hand, closing his eyes as he listened to the sound of birds chirping in the trees.

‘Let’s just relax here a while before we head over to my apartment’ Mingyu suggested, closing his own eyes too ‘I need to get changed before we go out to dinner tonight’

Wonwoo nodded, as he relaxed completely on the picnic blanket. Even though Valentine's Day was too commercial, and Wonwoo didn't particularly like the idea of spoiling your loved one only one day of the year, there is no place he would rather be right at this moment than here with Kim Mingyu.