Chapter 12

A Spot of Dither

A/N: So, this is probably going to be the last chapter. I was thinking of doing an epilogue or something though. Please tell me what you guys think, I'd love to hear your opinions ^^ I hope you guys have liked this story, and thank you for reading this far!!~

 

It only took Mingyu about ten minutes to get up to the rooftop where Wonwoo was currently waiting patiently. The ambulance crew, the police, and Yifei and Junhui, had all left by now; Wonwoo was gazing up at the night sky.

‘Hey’ Mingyu said simply, making his presence known to the other boy.

Wonwoo looked over at Mingyu, his eyes difficult to read.

‘Are you alright?’ Mingyu asked, sitting against the wall beside Wonwoo.

Wonwoo nodded, immediately wrapping his arms around Mingyu’s torso.

Mingyu put his arm around Wonwoo’s shoulders, sighing in relief at being reunited with the older boy. He had been so worried about him all night.

‘Are you sure you’re okay? You’re shaking’ Mingyu noticed, speaking softly.

Wonwoo nodded into the taller one’s chest.

‘It’s just cold’ Wonwoo lied.

‘You’ve been through a lot tonight. Why don’t I take you back to your apartment?’ Mingyu suggested, knowing too well that Wonwoo was a little shaken up, no matter how hard he attempted to hide it.

As they were walking through the parking lot towards Mingyu’s car, Wonwoo paused in his footsteps. Mingyu, who had his arms around Wonwoo’s shoulders, also paused and looked down at Wonwoo.

‘I umm…’ Wonwoo started to trail off, tugging at his sweater paws ‘You were right, the weight of the situation just suddenly hit me. While I was waiting, I was thinking about what happened. I guess I’m just lucky to be alive’

Mingyu enveloped the other in a tight hug, planting a soft and caring kiss onto Wonwoo’s tender lips. After Mingyu had pulled away, Wonwoo looked up slightly.

‘Can you tell me everything that happened?’ Mingyu asked cautiously.

‘She – L-Liu Yifei – drugged me, and took me up there’ Wonwoo gained the courage to say ‘She just… she tried to push me off the edge; I could have died’

Mingyu’s eyes widened in panic.

‘I-I didn’t think she was capable of this. Wonwoo, I’m so sorry’ Mingyu could feel tears welling in his eyes, ready to burst out.

He hadn’t realised just how big this situation was.

‘A-And then she tried to kill herself?’ Mingyu guessed, swallowing the lump inside his throat.

Wonwoo hesitated, but nodded.

‘I can’t believe I felt sorry for her after everything, but I couldn’t just let her die’

‘You’re an angel’ Mingyu whispered, squeezing Wonwoo tighter ‘I think you need some sort of break after all of this’

‘Thank you for caring’ he said, taking Mingyu’s hand and proceeding to the vehicle.

‘Of course I care’ Mingyu said ‘Because you’re someone who is worth caring about’

Wonwoo blushed and climbed into the car; Mingyu did the same.

Once Mingyu swerved into the parking lot of Wonwoo’s apartment complex, finding a park that he could drive into with two tries, Mingyu followed Wonwoo into the elevator and into the hall. As they approached apartment number 511, Wonwoo fiddled for his keys before Mingyu took them and opened the door for him.

‘You just need to relax after today, you must be exhausted’ he said, as they both made their way inside.

Wonwoo’s face scrunched up in confusion as they reached the kitchen. It appeared that the television set had been left on, and the light in the hall was left on too.

‘Did you leave on the hall light this morning? Did we even use the TV before we left?’ Wonwoo questioned, looking over to Mingyu.

Mingyu shrugged.

‘I didn’t turn on any lights; I didn’t turn on the TV set either’

‘What should we do?’ Wonwoo whispered ‘What if there is someone in here?’

‘Hello? Is anybody in here?’ Mingyu suddenly shouted, waiting for some kind of answer.

‘Are you an idiot?’ Wonwoo said in a harsh whisper, slapping Mingyu on the arm ‘If there’s a stranger in the house, you’re not supposed to let them know we’re here. Have you even seen a horror movie?’

‘Oh, sorry’ Mingyu apologised with a pout ‘I would probably be the first one to die in a horror film, right?’

‘Oh !’ a voice said from the living room ‘They're home’

‘What do we do? Should we just leave?’ the other voice asked.

‘Let’s just go’ the first voice spoke again.

Wonwoo face planted onto Mingyu’s shoulder at the sound of the familiar voices.

‘Soonyoung and Jihoon’ Wonwoo said, loud enough for them to hear him ‘What are you doing in my apartment again?’

After a short moment, the two boys in question appeared from the living room.

‘Wonwoo, we were just watching a movie I swear’ Soonyoung claimed, holding up a DVD case ‘We weren’t doing anything inappropriate’

‘Do you expect me to believe that? It’s Valentine’s Day, what else would you be doing?’ Wonwoo questioned, rolling his eyes.

‘We already hired a hotel for that’ Jihoon explained.

‘But the hotel didn’t have a TV, so we came here to watch this romantic comedy movie’ Soonyoung added.

Mingyu squinted at the DVD cover in Soonyoung’s hands.

‘Isn’t that a ?’ he questioned, noticing the cover and title.

‘What?’ Soonyoung gasped ‘No, of course not’

‘Let me see it then’ Wonwoo requested, starting to make his way over to Soonyoung.

‘I-It’s not guys!’ he defended, throwing the DVD out the open window so that Wonwoo couldn’t inspect it.

‘I don’t believe you for a second’ Wonwoo laughed, surprised that Soonyoung went as far as to toss it out a window.

‘Just stop interrogating me’ Soonyoung whined ‘So what if-’

Soonyoung cut his sentence short when he noticed bruises scattered across Wonwoo’s face. It was difficult to see in the dimly lit kitchen.

‘Oh my god Wonwoo, are you okay? Where did you get those bruises?’ Soonyoung said, firing questions as quickly as possible ‘Is Mingyu beating you?’

‘What?’ Wonwoo asked, taken aback by the questions.

‘If Mingyu is beating you, I won’t hesitate to get Jihoon to beat that tree into a thick bean paste’ Soonyoung continued.

‘No way’ Mingyu said, shaking his head ‘There’s no way he could beat me up’

‘I could take you in a fight’ Jihoon said, his voice not wavering at all ‘Height has nothing to do with the ability to knock someone out’

A frightened expression fell upon Mingyu’s face.

‘Mingyu wasn’t hurting me’ Wonwoo finally said ‘I was kidnapped by Liu Yifei. She drugged me, took me up onto a rooftop, and tried to push me off. When that didn’t work, she tried suicide’

Soonyoung gasped, starting to feel his blood boil.

‘What a little piece of sh*t’ Soonyoung said, running his hands through his hair ‘Mingyu, I knew she was trouble back in high school! How dare she do this to my friends? Jihoon, you’re going to have to prepare yourself to beat up a girl; I’m not letting her get away with anything this time’

Jihoon held Soonyoung still as he started to get himself worked up.

‘Did you report her to the police? She should get what she deserves’ Soonyoung said, calming a down a little because of Jihoon’s embrace.

Wonwoo shook his head.

‘I couldn’t’ he said ‘She was obviously not mentally stable; I thought it would be best if she got some help or counselling’

Soonyoung shook his head in disbelief.

‘Even though she did all that crap to you? You’re unbelievable Jeon Wonwoo’ Soonyoung said, entangling himself from Jihoon’s arms in order to give Wonwoo a friendly hug ‘This is why you’re my best friend’

‘Hey, back off’ Mingyu joked, pushing Soonyoung away from Wonwoo ‘He’s my little angel’

Soonyoung pretended to puke as Wonwoo felt himself blush due to Mingyu’s cheesy words.

‘Let’s just hope she doesn’t mess with you guys again’ Jihoon added in.

‘She won’t. She’s going back to China tomorrow’ Wonwoo said with a small smile.

Finally Mingyu could be his, and he didn’t have to worry about Liu Yifei being there to spoil it for him.

‘Well, I guess we should probably get back to the hotel; we have some things planned’ Soonyoung said with a wink.

‘Soonyoung, I’m sure they don’t need to know that’ Jihoon said, dragging Soonyoung towards the front door.

‘Yeah, too much information’ Mingyu said with a smirk.

‘Are you kidding me? You always tell me about what you want to do with Wonwoo’ Soonyoung retorted.

‘Soonyoung, leave them alone’ Jihoon scolded ‘If you be good, I’ll buy you ice-cream from the convenience store’

Soonyoung saluted, pretending to zip his mouth shut.

‘Sorry about that guys’ Jihoon said, noticing Mingyu’s blush and Wonwoo’s uncomfortable state ‘We’ll probably see you tomorrow at lunch’

‘Yeah, see you tomorrow at lunch’ Mingyu said as Jihoon closed the apartment door.

Wonwoo attempted to clear his throat, looking down at his feet.

‘I um… Wha-What did you tell Soonyoung you wanted to do with me?’ Wonwoo managed to ask, his voice still faltering.

‘I… we were just talking about our futures’ Mingyu said, gently forcing Wonwoo to look up at him with his index finger ‘I-I guess I might have mentioned that in the future, I’d like to do- well, y’know’

‘I think I do know’ Wonwoo managed to say ‘Are we – perhaps, I don’t know – taking this too slow for you?’

Mingyu quickly started shaking his head.

‘No, of course not. I want you to just do what you’re comfortable with’ Mingyu said, suddenly taking Wonwoo’s hand ‘Just let it come naturally; you’ll know when you’re ready’

Wonwoo almost started to cry; he was overwhelmed with feelings towards Mingyu.

‘You’re way too good for me’ Wonwoo said, squeezing Mingyu’s hand.

‘I was about to say the same thing about you’ Mingyu said with a grin ‘My little Jeon Won-Wonnie’

‘Wow Mingyu, you just ruined the moment’ Wonwoo said, shaking his head with the hint of a smile in his eyes.

‘You don’t like your nickname?’ Mingyu teased, leading Wonwoo to his bedroom ‘I think you need some sleep because you look like crap’

‘I feel like crap’ Wonwoo said honestly, letting Mingyu prepare a set of pyjamas for him.

Wonwoo took the pyjamas, making his way to the bathroom to get changed when Mingyu’s arm suddenly blocked the doorway.

‘Just get changed in here’ he said ‘I won’t watch, I promise’

‘Fine, just don’t peek. Okay?’

Mingyu nodded, going over to the other side of the room and closing his eyes.

Wonwoo sighed, changing his pants quickly before taking off his shirt. Suddenly he heard small giggles from the other side of the room. Gazing over to the other side, he spotted Mingyu with his hands over his face; Wonwoo could see his eyes clearly because of the gaps he had made with his long fingers.

‘You’re so good looking. You’re amazing’ Mingyu said, continuing to peep through his fingers.

Wonwoo blushed, quickly putting on his pyjama shirt.

‘I’m not’ he said, quickly hopping under the bed covers.

‘You are’ Mingyu argued, slipping under the sheets beside him.

‘Are you ever going to shower? Because you’re starting to smell’ Wonwoo pointed out, moving as far away from Mingyu as possible in the double bed.

‘I did shower’ Mingyu said, pouting ‘I showered at my apartment before we went out to dinner’

‘Did you use soap?’ Wonwoo asked, still keeping his distance from the younger boy.

‘No, but only because I ran out of it’ Mingyu said defensively.

‘Gross’ Wonwoo mumbled, closing his eyes.

A few seconds later, Wonwoo could feel Mingyu shuffling over to his side of the bed. With a smile on his face, Mingyu tossed an arm over Wonwoo and started spooning him.

 

The next day, Wonwoo and Mingyu both went to university together half an hour early, wanting to have coffee together at the café next to the administration building.

‘Two caramel lattes’ Mingyu ordered while Wonwoo went to find them a seat outside.

Unlike the last time they were here together, today it was slightly more crowded. Once their order was ready, Mingyu went outside to find Wonwoo at a table that was half in the sun and half in the shade. Mingyu took the seat opposite Wonwoo in the sun.

‘Are you sure you don’t want to sit in the shade beside me?’ Wonwoo asked, taking his latte from Mingyu’s outstretched hand.

‘No, I’m fine’ Mingyu replied ‘I like the sun’

‘I can tell’ Wonwoo said, taking a sip of the caramel latte but quickly deciding it was too hot to drink right away.

‘At least my skin isn’t too pale. At least it looks like I see the sunlight’

‘I know’ Wonwoo said with a faint blush ‘I like your skin, its y’

Mingyu smiled with a wink, laughing a little before taking a sip of his own coffee.

‘Speaking of sun, why don’t we go camping?’ he suggested again ‘After everything you’ve been through, don’t you want to take a small break; even if it’s only for one weekend?’

‘Mingyu, I told you I don’t want to’ Wonwoo complained, finally taking a sip of his latte ‘I still have to get that music assignment done, and my attitude hasn’t changed about bugs and getting sunburnt’

‘We could invite Seungkwan to come as well’ Mingyu suggested ‘We could even get Soonyoung and Jihoon to come too. I’m sure it would be good for Vernon to get some fresh air and time away from his PlayStation too’

‘I don’t know’ Wonwoo said, still not sounding so sure ‘How am I supposed to put up with them if I can’t even put up with you?’

Mingyu laughed, lightly kicking Wonwoo’s leg under the table.

‘I’ll buy you more books from the op-shop’ Mingyu bribed ‘That way you can read them when you get sick of us. Come camping with me Jeon Won-Wonnie. Please?’

Wonwoo rolled his eyes, kicking Mingyu back but twice as hard.

‘Fine, I’ll go camping with you’ Wonwoo agreed ‘But don’t use that nickname on me again’

‘I can’t promise you that’ Mingyu grinned ‘Don’t worry, I’ll organize this weekend for you. It’s going to be so fun’

Wonwoo smiled at how excited Mingyu was about finally going on a camping trip; he was adorable when he got excited like that.

‘We can ask the others if they want to come with us when we have lunch’ Mingyu said, taking another sip of his latte before glancing at his watch ‘It’s 9:05’

Wonwoo quickly gathered his things, downing the rest of his coffee. It burnt as it slid down his throat.

‘Crap’ Wonwoo cursed, tossing the coffee cup into the bin beside them ‘Why are you always making me late without fail?’

Mingyu laughed at Wonwoo’s current state of dishevelment, leaning in for a kiss when Wonwoo put his arms around him.

‘I’ll see you at lunch’ Wonwoo said pulling away from his boyfriend after he broke the kiss.

‘The lecturer is going to be so mad’ Wonwoo fretted, gasping as he took another glance at his watch; it was already 9:07. He mentally cursed Kim Mingyu in his mind. Why did it take him two whole minutes to say goodbye to the tall boy?

‘Just go already, I love you’ Mingyu said, pushing Wonwoo in the general direction of his lecture hall.

‘Okay, I love you too’ Wonwoo said before running off to his class.

As Wonwoo got scolded for coming late to his lecture again, without a good reason this time, Wonwoo smiled to himself. It might have looked weird that he was smiling as the teacher was shouting at him, but there really isn’t anything that he would have changed at that moment.

It didn’t bother him as much anymore that he was only ten minutes late for a lecture that he could review online anyway. As long as he had Mingyu by his side, he would be happy. The Mingyu who was disgusting, clumsy, and had no table manners; the Mingyu who was tall, handsome, and had the most eye-catching smile that Wonwoo had ever laid eyes on; the Mingyu who was caring, spontaneous, and affectionate; and the Mingyu who couldn't drive, had a passion for food, and made Wonwoo smile.

Wonwoo had grown to love every little detail about Mingyu, even the things that had bugged him at first. Wonwoo thanked Soonyoung every day for forcing him to go on that blind date. Even though it had been a rough ride for Wonwoo to get to where he was right at this moment, Wonwoo would never take anything back.

Even though he knew there could be more hardships in the future, Wonwoo was willing to go through anything just to be in Mingyu’s presence.