Chapter 2

A Spot of Dither

A/N: I was originally going to make this only a one-shot but I had enough inspiration to write another chapter~ I might even write a third one as well, I don't really know yet. Hopefully this is alright, I wrote it pretty quickly haha. Hope you guys enjoy, and thankyou~ ^^

 

Soonyoung grinned from ear to ear as he watched Wonwoo contemplate between a black pair of jeans and a blue pair.

‘I can’t believe you two are going out on a second date; who would have thought?’ Soonyoung said, leaning against the door frame of Wonwoo’s bedroom.

‘What do you mean who would have thought? You were the one who set me up with him’ Wonwoo said, picking up the black pair of jeans before putting them back down and scratching the back of his head.

Soonyoung nodded. ‘Yeah, but I wasn’t expecting you two to go out on another date. I thought Mingyu would have screwed it up somehow’

Wonwoo scoffed, turning to look at Soonyoung.

‘I can’t believe you Soonyoung’ he said ‘And he did screw it up; he screwed it up majorly’

‘Now that’s the Mingyu I know’ Soonyoung said with a cheeky smile ‘And you should wear the blue jeans for a change; add a little bit more colour to your outfit’

Wonwoo picked up the black jeans and began slipping into them.

Soonyoung shrugged ‘I don’t even know why I bother with you sometimes’

Wonwoo zipped up his jeans, fixing his hair a little. Once he was done, he turned to face his best friend.

‘Do I … Do I look okay?’ he asked, tugging self-consciously at his pastel blue sweater.

‘Since when does Jeon Wonwoo care about how he looks for a date? At the beginning of the week you told me dates were stupid’ Soonyoung laughed ‘Why do you care so much?’

‘Oh, um… IwannalookgoodforMingyu’ Wonwoo admitted, blushing while looking at his feet.

‘Oh wow, I didn’t actually expect you to fall for him, I just wanted you to get out of the apartment’ Soonyoung said, surprised.

‘What? No, I haven’t fallen for him. I just don’t want to look boring in comparison to him’ Wonwoo said, denying any feelings he may have had for Mingyu.

‘You are boring though’ Soonyoung said carelessly, smiling mischievously with his angular eyes.

Wonwoo gave him a look of displeasure, pushing Soonyoung out of the way before leaving his bedroom.

‘Hey wait, Wonwoo!’ Soonyoung called out, joining Wonwoo in the hallway.

‘I found this handkerchief on your bed’ he said once he had caught up with his friend.

‘Oh, I almost forgot it’ Wonwoo said, putting it into his pocket.

‘Have you got a cold or something?’ Soonyoung asked, walking with Wonwoo to the front door.

‘Me? No, it’s just a present for someone’ Wonwoo answered casually.

‘For Mingyu?’ Soonyoung guessed ‘I assume he sneezed on you last time’

‘I don’t want to talk about it’ Wonwoo said, putting his wallet into his back pocket before opening the front door of his apartment.

Soonyoung laughed, pushing Wonwoo out the door.

‘Now go and have fun, and don’t let Mingyu sneeze on you again’ he said ‘I'll probably still be here when you get back, you can tell me all about it later'

Wonwoo gave a blank expression as the front door to his own apartment closed in front of him.

As he exited the elevator on the ground floor of the building, he almost collided with a small boy with light pink dyed hair.

‘Watch where you’re going’ the boy said, sounding quite blunt despite his innocent appearance.

‘Sorry’ Wonwoo apologised, getting out of the other boy’s way.

The boy didn’t say anything further, getting into the elevator and pushing the button for the fifth floor.

Wonwoo watched as the doors closed; something about that boy seemed somewhat familiar but Wonwoo couldn’t quite put his finger on it.

Pushing aside that thought, Wonwoo continued making his way to the restaurant. It was only a couple of blocks away so he decided to walk, enjoying the cool breeze blowing against his skin.

In no time at all Wonwoo had made it to the same restaurant he had eaten at three days ago. He glanced at his watch before entering the establishment. He was ten minutes early; as long as he didn’t have to wait over twenty minutes for Mingyu like last time, Wonwoo would be happy.

Stepping into the restaurant, he could already smell the delicious food being prepared in the kitchen. He was greeted by the same waitress who had been pitying him the last time he was here waiting for Mingyu.

‘Hello again’ she said ‘Your table is right this way’

The waitress showed him to a table in the back corner of the restaurant, overlooking the city streets. There, sitting on the table, was none other than Kim Mingyu.

Wonwoo was shocked to see that Mingyu had already arrived, sitting and waiting patiently. When he noticed Wonwoo’s arrival, he smiled.

‘What are you doing here so early?’ Wonwoo asked, taking a seat across from Mingyu.

‘I didn’t want to come late like last time, so I came half an hour early instead’ Mingyu explained, handing Wonwoo the menu.

‘What? That’s crazy, you didn’t have to do that. Besides, now you’re making me look like a jerk who came twenty minutes late’ Wonwoo complained, scanning through the menu even though he already knew what he wanted.

Mingyu gave an exaggerated pout, sinking lower into his seat.

‘Why are you so hard to please?’

‘I might not seem it, but I am pleased’ Wonwoo admitted sheepishly, peeking up from the menu.

‘Good, because this is my first time being early to anything’ Mingyu said, proud of his own small accomplishment.

Wonwoo smiled, Mingyu was acting so cute tonight. Perhaps this would go better than Wonwoo was expecting.

Just as that thought ran through Wonwoo’s head, he almost immediately regretted it.

‘Hey check this out though Wonwoo, this song is so cool. I’ve been listening to it a lot lately’ he said, pulling out his phone and playing the music on full volume in the middle of the restaurant.

Just like on their previous date, the both of them got glares in their direction.

Although he appreciated the song, Wonwoo would have appreciated it more if Mingyu didn’t play his music so loud.

‘Yeah, it’s good’ Wonwoo said, squirming under the glares of so many people. Wonwoo hated having attention being drawn to him ‘But, I think that’s enough music for now’

‘Hey, you’re no fun’ Mingyu said, shouting over the music.

At that moment the waitress approached their table, asking Mingyu to turn off his music.

‘O-Oh, okay I’m sorry’ he said, quickly turning off his phone with a nervous but mischievous giggle.

Wonwoo shot the waitress a thankful look.

The rest of the night went by in a very similar manner. Mingyu spilling their drinks, Mingyu laughing too loud, Mingyu spilling food on himself. If Wonwoo wasn’t starting to develop a soft-spot for this man, he would have left already.

As the night developed, and the two of them were almost finished with their food, Wonwoo was once again split between hugging the taller boy and flicking him in the forehead.

‘Don’t the stars look beautiful tonight?’ Mingyu said, resting the palm of his hand on his chin as he gazed up at the sky through the window ‘I bet they would look even better if we went somewhere outside the city together’

Wonwoo smiled a small smile; he liked this side of Mingyu.

‘Maybe we can go camping’ Mingyu said, turning back to face Wonwoo with a big smile.

Wonwoo automatically shook his head.

‘I don’t like camping’ he said, scrunching up his face.

‘Come on, it’ll be fun’ Mingyu encouraged ‘Just you and me will be together for a couple of days. Wouldn’t that just be the best?’

Wonwoo scoffed ‘I don’t think I could spend that long with you’

‘I’ll make you like me, don’t worry. Then you’ll definitely say yes; you’ll be begging to spend some alone time with me’ he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

Wonwoo groaned, closing his eyes and trying to shake the image out of his head.

As he mentally cursed Kim Mingyu, he was startled when he heard the other boy sneeze. Opening his eyes, he recognized a look of disgust from the couple at the table across from them; they were the exact same couple from their previous date.

‘How disgusting!’ the woman complained.

‘You just spread your germs all over my wife’s appetizer’ the man spoke in a harsh tone ‘Aren’t you going to pay for another one?’

Mingyu’s eyes widened in alarm.

‘I-I’m sorry sir, I couldn’t help it’ he apologised profusely, digging through his bag for his wallet.

He dug around for quite some time before looking up at Wonwoo helplessly.

Wonwoo sighed and opened his own wallet, pulling out enough for an appetizer and handing it over to the other couple. There goes his money for that literature textbook he needed for his mid-term essay.

‘You owe me one Kim Mingyu… again’ Wonwoo said, putting his wallet back into his pocket.

As he did so, his fingers brushed against something else. Pulling out the object, he remembered about the handkerchief he was going to give Mingyu as a gift.

Wonwoo snickered at his own stupidity.

‘Well…’ he started off ‘I was going to give you this before but…’

Wonwoo trailed off as he handed the handkerchief out towards Mingyu.

Upon seeing the gift, Mingyu laughed his loud obnoxious laugh and accepted the handkerchief.

‘It would have been good if you gave it to me before I sneezed in their food, but thanks’ he said, blowing his nose with it before putting it into his pocket.

‘Just… remember to use it from now on’ Wonwoo insisted, standing up from the table ‘Come on, let’s go before those two murder us with their gazes’

Mingyu followed the slightly shorter boy to the counter across the restaurant.

‘I guess I’ve done a good job embarrassing you then’ Mingyu laughed, putting an arm around Wonwoo’s shoulder.

Wonwoo sighed in an odd sort of contentment, as he took out his second load of cash that night and paid for their meals.

‘I’ll pay for sure next time’ Mingyu said, with a bright smile.

Wonwoo didn’t even argue whether or not there would be a next time, because he somehow knew that a next time was inevitable.

As they both exited the restaurant, Wonwoo turned to wave goodbye to Mingyu before heading off down the footpath.

‘Are you just going to walk home?’ Mingyu asked.

‘I only live a couple of blocks away’ Wonwoo said back.

‘It’s dark and cold outside; let me drive you’ Mingyu insisted.

‘No, it’s fine’ Wonwoo asserted ‘It will only take me ten minutes at the most’

‘Come on Wonwoo’ Mingyu whined ‘I just got my licence and I want to drive with you’

Wonwoo sighed in defeat; he had been doing that a lot lately.

Once he was strapped into Mingyu’s car and he had begun driving to Wonwoo’s apartment, Wonwoo did not loosen his grip on the dashboard once. Mingyu drove way too fast for someone who had just received their licence. He also swerved over the double lines a couple of times. Wonwoo regretted getting into the taller boy’s vehicle.

Once Mingyu had found a park and manoeuvred into it on the fourth try, Wonwoo let go of the dashboard and turned to stare blankly at Mingyu.

‘How was it? I’m getting better at driving, right?’ Mingyu asked hopefully, oblivious to Wonwoo’s look of disapproval.

‘No Mingyu’ Wonwoo stated.

‘Oh umm… thanks for being honest I guess’ Mingyu said, pouting like a hurt puppy.

‘No problem’ Wonwoo said, laughing a little in amusement.

Mingyu pouted even more at Wonwoo’s laughter. Why was Wonwoo laughing at him?

‘Anyway, I should probably start on the essay I got yesterday on 18th century literature’ Wonwoo said, wanting to leave the car because of Mingyu’s reckless driving, but at the same time, wanting to stay there with Mingyu a little longer.

‘Can I come with you?’ Mingyu asked, his eyes twinkling with hope.

Wonwoo couldn’t reject the boy, allowing him to walk up to his apartment with him. Once they reached the fifth floor, Wonwoo went to open the door to room number 511. However, the door was locked from the inside.

‘It’s locked’ Wonwoo stated, attempting to open the door again.

‘Don’t you have the key?’ Mingyu questioned from behind him.

Wonwoo shook his head ‘Soonyoung had it last, he said he would still be here when I got back though'

Wonwoo knocked on the door with his fist, shouting out Soonyoung’s name.

‘SOONYOUNG? ARE YOU STILL IN THERE?’ he asked, continuing to knock on the door.

Mingyu started to help with the knocking, banging on the door with both fists.

Suddenly, the door to his own apartment swung open. Standing in the doorway was the same small boy with pink hair he had run into in the elevator earlier that night. His hair was fluffed up, his cheeks were flushed red, and he wore a blanket around his waist to cover his body.

‘Can I help you?’ he asked in a displeased voice.

Wonwoo was speechless; who is he and why is he in his apartment?