Chapter 7

A Spot of Dither

A/N: Hello everybody~ I am back with another chapter, my internet sort of died in a lightning storm but now I have internet again so here is a chapter update ^^ I hope you all enjoy, thank you!! ^_^

 

As Mingyu began seasoning the braised ribs, Wonwoo leaned in from his spot behind him, snatching a piece of the meat and chewing on it.

‘Hey, I’m not finished with this yet’ Mingyu whined, turning around and pushing Wonwoo towards the dining table ‘Wait over here, I’m almost done’

Wonwoo laughed at Mingyu’s seriousness, not seeing this side of him before. He decided he would sit and wait patiently for the other to finish. He smiled as he watched the taller boy concentrating on his cooking.

Mingyu had driven Wonwoo back to his place that afternoon, not without almost colliding into another car on a round-a-bout, and they were both starving. Mingyu had started to make braised short ribs and a couple of other side dishes.

Wonwoo smiled to himself once again as he noticed Mingyu finally plating up their food, looking pleased with himself. Wonwoo was truly glad that Mingyu and himself had overcome their misunderstanding; he wouldn’t change this moment for anything else in the world.

Mingyu grinned as he made his way towards the dining table where Wonwoo sat, carrying the dishes.

‘It looks good’ Wonwoo commented as Mingyu placed the food in front of him.

‘T-Thank y-’ Mingyu began to say as he sneezed into his own dinner.

Wonwoo sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

‘What did I tell you about using that handkerchief?’

Mingyu laughed sheepishly, sitting down across from Wonwoo with his meal.

‘I promise I’ll use it next time’ Mingyu said, picking up his pair of chopsticks.

‘You never keep your promises’ Wonwoo pointed out, following Mingyu and picking up his own utensils.

‘I always try my hardest for you though’ Mingyu smiled.

Wonwoo tried not to get distracted by Mingyu’s smile, before digging in to the home-made meal. After taking a bite, Wonwoo could literally feel the flavours dancing on his tongue.

‘I know you are taking culinary studies and it should be expected, but this is amazing’ Wonwoo encouraged after swallowing his mouthful of food ‘You will be a great chef for sure’

Wonwoo noticed Mingyu’s cheeks turn a light shade of pink. Despite his embarrassing moments, Mingyu was a really cute and sweet guy.

‘T-Thanks’ Mingyu said ‘That means a lot coming from you’

Wonwoo took another big bite; Mingyu did the same.

‘How did your classes go today?’ Mingyu asked through mouthfuls of food.

Wonwoo ignored Mingyu’s nasty habit of spraying food everywhere, swallowing his own food to answer the question.

‘I got another assignment’ he answered ‘It’s a cross-course assignment, so we had to get partnered up with someone from the music major; we have to write song lyrics’

‘That sounds interesting’ Mingyu said, taking another huge mouthful of the braised ribs ‘Have you written lyrics before?’

‘Mostly just really awful rap lyrics for fun back in high school’ Wonwoo admitted ‘But that's not the problem, the problem is, I hate partnering up with people I don’t know, and my partner is super loud and overbearing’

Mingyu shook his head, a playful smile on his face.

‘Aren’t I a little bit loud and overbearing too?’ Mingyu asked.

‘Well… kind of, but I like you’ Wonwoo said softly.

‘See? You got used to me. You seem like the type of person who gradually gets used to things. Maybe this guy is really friendly?’ Mingyu pointed out ‘Try to get close to him while you do this assignment, maybe you will make a new friend?’

‘But not too close to him’ Mingyu quickly added.

Wonwoo gave a small smile. Mingyu was right, he absolutely despised change. But once he got used to something, he was fine.

‘Okay, I will make an effort. But I can’t promise you that I won’t get too close to my assignment partner’

Mingyu gasped in fake surprise.

‘How could you do that? I thought we had something here’ Mingyu joked around.

‘I think we do’ Wonwoo replied back seriously.

Mingyu looked up at him in awe, his bright eyes sparkling with happiness.

Wonwoo, feeling slightly awkward for changing the playful mood into something serious, pretended to cough a little and took another bite of food.

‘So… how’s university going for you right now?’ Wonwoo asked, deciding to change the subject by asking Mingyu a question.

‘It’s going pretty well’ Mingyu said ‘I’m learning some new techniques that I’ve never even heard of, and I learnt a lot about kitchen hygiene… I know what you’re thinking, you don’t have to say it’

‘You should put those things you learnt about hygiene to good use’ Wonwoo said anyway ‘Things like, how to cover your mouth properly when you sneeze’

Mingyu pouted, looking like an upset puppy.

‘I’m trying my hardest’

Wonwoo smiled, reaching over to touch the other boy’s hand without thinking. He knew Mingyu was always giving everything his best, so he wanted to show him that he knew.

Mingyu smiled his usual smile.

‘Thank you’

Wonwoo blushed, as he was about to remove his hand, the door to Mingyu’s apartment burst open and a shrill squeal sounded throughout the apartment.

Both Wonwoo and Mingyu’s heads turned towards the door.

Wonwoo was absolutely shocked to see the girl from the other day, Mingyu’s ex-girlfriend, standing in the doorway with a look of horror on her expression.

Mingyu stood up immediately, the warmth of his hand disappearing from Wonwoo’s grasp.

‘Liu Yifei, what are you doing here? More importantly, how did you get my address?’ Mingyu questioned, sounding more aggressive than Wonwoo had ever heard Mingyu sound before.

‘That’s not important’ his ex, Liu Yifei, said ‘Who is this? Are you cheating on me?’

Mingyu bit his lip, trying not to shout and yell at her right then and there. She was starting to frustrate him.

‘How could I be cheating on you? We broke up years ago; put this behind you and we can leave this matter behind us with dignity’ Mingyu said, trying to let this go nicely.

‘I still want you to be my boyfriend Mingyu, even though you never cooked me dinner like you did for this ing guy. I forgive you and I want you to come back with me to China’ she insisted, not forgetting to throw Wonwoo a disgusted look.

Wonwoo knew Mingyu didn’t want to go to China with her, but he still felt sick to the stomach at the mere thought of Mingyu leaving him to go with her.

‘You forgive me?’ Mingyu laughed bitterly at what she had said ‘I’m the one who broke up with you; why would I care if you forgive me? You made my life miserable, I really despise you’

Liu Yifei began to cry, stepping forward to Mingyu.

‘Please hold me’ she begged through sobs ‘My heart is broken, please fix it’

Mingyu sighed, he was starting to feel bad for the girl. But then he remembered how manipulative she could be.

‘I’m sorry’ Mingyu apologised ‘I’m sorry if I caused you to feel like this, but I can’t go with you back to China. I have somebody else now, so you’ll just need to go on your own. I’m sure you will meet with your old friends from elementary school and your family when you go back there. You might even meet someone new who can love you’

Yifei suddenly stopped crying, like her tears had suddenly been turned off.

‘You are awful Kim Mingyu’ she hissed, picking up an object from the counter top.

‘Liu Yifei, what are you doing?’ he questioned, before Yifei tossed the glass ornament as hard as she could towards Mingyu.

The glass smashed against Mingyu’s shoulder, the glass shards ending up all over the floor. Wonwoo stood up, his reaction was too slow to save Mingyu from getting hit by the object.

‘Let this be a warning for you, Kim Mingyu’ she said, her voice wavering ‘If I can’t get you to come back to me, I will just have to make your life a living hell. I will take my revenge on you before I return to China’

Liu Yifei took her leave, making sure to slam the door as loud as she could on the way out.

Wonwoo panicked as he took a look at Mingyu’s bare shoulder, his white singlet had a few patches of blood stains from the cuts.

‘Mingyu, are you okay?’ Wonwoo asked, taking a closer look.

The cuts were not too deep, but Wonwoo was concerned anyway.

‘I-I’m fine… I think-” Mingyu attempted to say before he let some tears escape his eyes.

Wonwoo didn’t think Mingyu was crying about his wound; he must have been crying because he was overwhelmed.

‘Where do you keep your band-aids?’ Wonwoo asked, wiping a stray tear away with his finger.

‘Um… I-It’s in the top drawer’ Mingyu replied, wiping his own tears away furiously ‘I-I’m sorry Wonwoo, I’m sorry about this… mess’

Wonwoo took slow and steady breaths as he retrieved some band-aids from the drawer.

‘Mingyu, it isn’t your fault’ Wonwoo replied ‘Besides, you’ve been taking care of me; although, I seem like I don’t appreciate it, I really do Mingyu’

‘Do you mean it?’ Mingyu asked with a glint of hope, allowing Wonwoo to clean his wounds before sticking on the band-aids.

‘Yes, I mean it’ Wonwoo said ‘I’ll stay behind and help you clean this up’

‘You don’t have to if you would rather be at home reading a book’ Mingyu offered, his tears were dried up by now.

‘You helped me clean my apartment last time’ Wonwoo reminded ‘And… there isn’t any other place I would rather be than right here right now’

Mingyu’s face brightened up noticeably. He had finally won over Jeon Wonwoo. His next mission would be to get Wonwoo to call him his boyfriend, finally admitting they were an official couple!

Forgetting about Liu Yifei and all of the trouble she had caused, Mingyu helped Wonwoo clean up the shards of glass that were scattered over the dining room floor.

Once they were finally done, Mingyu and Wonwoo noticed there half eaten dinner still sitting on the table.

‘The dinner is cold’ Wonwoo said, sounding disappointed.

He was really enjoying Mingyu’s cooking.

‘It’s okay, I can keep it in the fridge and pack it for lunch tomorrow’ Mingyu said optimistically ‘I can make you a lunch too if you like?’

Wonwoo loved how optimistic Mingyu could be after everything that had just happened.

‘I would like that’ Wonwoo admitted, shyly looking over to Mingyu ‘B-Because it was so delicious, of course. Not because I want to eat a lunch that you packed or anything cheesy like that’

Mingyu laughed.

‘Of course that’s why’ he said, leaning against the kitchen counter.

‘I um… can we do something else?’ Wonwoo suddenly asked ‘I don’t think I want to go home just yet’

Mingyu’s eyes lit up for at least the third time that night.

‘Yeah, we can watch a movie in the living room or something, let’s go and see what movies we have’

As the two entered into the living room, Wonwoo raised an eyebrow as he noticed a boy who seemed slightly younger intensively playing a video game on the wide television screen. He was wearing a large headphone set, and muttering obscenities (or what seemed like obscenities that Wonwoo couldn’t understand) into a mic attached to the headset.

‘Who’s that?’ Wonwoo questioned out of curiosity, he wasn’t sure whether he should be feeling jealous or not.

‘That? That’s just Hansol or Vernon, he goes by both names. He’s my roommate’ Mingyu replied ‘There’s no use in trying to talk to him right now though, he’s always in his own bubble, especially while he’s playing video games’

‘I’m surprised he didn’t hear what was going on in the kitchen’ Wonwoo commented, taking note of Hansol’s fixed expression on the television screen.

Wonwoo raised his eyebrow when he heard Hansol saying something in English into the mic.

‘Is he a foreigner?’ Wonwoo questioned, trying not to sound rude.

‘He has dual citizenship’ Mingyu explained ‘His mother is American and his father is Korean. But his mother can’t speak in Korean, so he can speak English and he code switches a lot. Isn’t that neat?’

Wonwoo nodded ‘She must really love Hansol's father then’

‘Just like you love me, right?’ Mingyu asked, a -eating grin present on his face.

‘Don’t get your hopes up Mingyu’ Wonwoo joked, shoving the taller boy gently on his good shoulder.

Mingyu grinned, playfully hitting Wonwoo in the chest.

‘It’s okay, I know you love me’ he said ‘How about we go to my room instead?’

‘I don’t think I’m ready for that’ Wonwoo admitted, feeling himself start to sweat.

The thought of him and Mingyu doing what Soonyoung and Jihoon had done all over his apartment made him feel nervous and uncomfortable.

‘Are you an idiot?’ Mingyu scoffed ‘I thought I was the stupid one. I meant we should go to my room and watch a movie instead of in the living room because Hansol is on the PlayStation’

Wonwoo felt the heat rush to his face. Gosh, he was an idiot.

‘I-I Um… yeah sure’ Wonwoo stumbled over his words.

Once the two of them entered into Mingyu’s room, Wonwoo was surprised by how clean and organised everything was. If only that reflected his hygiene habits as well.

‘Shall we watch Titanic?’ Mingyu offered, going through the stack of movies organised alphabetically on his shelf.

‘Why would you choose such a cheesy romance movie?’ Wonwoo whined.

‘Because it’s beautiful, just like you’ Mingyu grinned.

‘Stop being cheesy’ Wonwoo complained, as Mingyu put in the DVD anyway.

Mingyu leaned back onto his double bed, closing the gap between him and Wonwoo by clinging to the slightly shorter boy’s side.

Even though Wonwoo felt slightly uncomfortable in Mingyu’s arms, he allowed the other to do so. As the movie began, Wonwoo found himself gradually adjusting to Mingyu’s clinginess, and by the midway point of the film they had both fallen asleep in that position.