Chapter 8

A Spot of Dither

A/N: I'm back with another update~ Tbh I think this story is the fastest I've ever updated; I guess that is what happens when you are on holidays but you don't want to do anything :'D If you haven't already checked out the chapter I updated last night then please do so~ I hope you enjoy this chapter, and thank you for reading ^^

 

‘Can you pass me that highlighter?’ Wonwoo muttered to Mingyu, who was also studying for his mid-term examination.

It had been a week since the night Mingyu cooked Wonwoo dinner, and exams were only a week away.

Mingyu shook his head.

‘No way’ he teased ‘Not until you use your manners’

‘Can you pass me that highlighter please’ Wonwoo repeated, growing frustrated at Mingyu’s childish games.

‘Okay then, come and get it’ Mingyu said, grinning widely while standing up from his position and holding the highlighter as high up as he could.

Wonwoo groaned, also reaching up as high as he could; the highlighter was only centimetres away but he just could not reach it. It was times like these where he mentally cursed Mingyu for being too tall.

‘Mingyu, this is important. Exams are only a week away’ Wonwoo complained ‘Just give me the damn highlighter’

‘I won’t give you the highlighter until you admit we’re a couple’ Mingyu requested, letting out a mischievous giggle.

Wonwoo felt his cheeks become red.

‘I-I’ll just leave then. I’ll go and study at my own apartment’ Wonwoo said, turning to leave.

‘What? But you need your highlighter’ Mingyu pointed out, desperate for Wonwoo not to leave.

Wonwoo smiled softly, unseen by Mingyu.

‘I don’t need that one, I’ll just buy a new one’ Wonwoo said casually, heading towards the door of the apartment.

‘Wait, no!’ Mingyu called out ‘You can have your highlighter back’

Wonwoo smiled triumphantly, taking back his seat and grabbing his highlighter that Mingyu handed out to him.

Looking at the page full of words, Wonwoo couldn’t seem to remember what he had been intending to highlight in the first place.

‘Well?’ Mingyu said expectantly ‘Aren’t you going to highlight something?’

‘I don’t remember what I needed to highlight’ Wonwoo admitted ‘You’re too distracting’

‘But it’s more fun studying with me though, right?’ Mingyu asked with a smile.

Wonwoo smiled a small smile in return. He knew it was more fun studying with Mingyu, but fun and study don’t usually mix well according to Wonwoo. How was he supposed to get anything done?

Suddenly, Wonwoo jumped a little in shock as his phone vibrated loudly against the table.

He picked it up and took a quick look at the text message he had just received from Soonyoung.

‘Hey Won! I heard that you and Mingyu have made up. What good news!! Jihoon and I are going out to that new ramen place that opened up near your apartment. Would you like to go on a double date? I hope we see you and Mingyu there! Be there or be square – lots of love from Hoshi’

Wonwoo didn’t like the sound of a double date at all, especially not right now when he has all of this studying to do. He put his phone back down onto the table, ignoring the text, before going back to reading through his notes.

‘Aren’t you going to reply to the message?’ Mingyu asked curiously.

Wonwoo shook his head.

‘Who was it? What was it about?’ Mingyu questioned.

Wonwoo raised his eyebrow. Why did Mingyu want to know so badly?

‘It was nothing’ Wonwoo answered, just wanting Mingyu to leave him alone.

‘Now I’m worried’ Mingyu fretted ‘Was it something bad?’

Before Wonwoo could react, Mingyu had already taken his phone and opened up his messages.

‘A double date?’ Mingyu asked ‘That sounds like so much fun; can we go?’

Wonwoo pinched the bridge of his nose.

‘Can you give me back my phone please Mingyu?’

‘Come on, it will be fun. We can take a break from studying’ Mingyu said, ignoring Wonwoo’s request ‘You study too hard anyway’

Wonwoo sighed in defeat.

‘Fine, but we are just eating and then coming straight back home. Okay?’

Mingyu laughed and smiled.

‘You just realised you called my apartment ‘home’, right?’ he pointed out.

Wonwoo blushed, gathering his things.

‘You know what I meant’ he said.

Mingyu grinned, grabbing his keys from the shelf and picking up his bag.

‘We won’t be out for too long’ Mingyu encouraged.

Wonwoo nodded, still feeling embarrassed from his slip of tongue.

As they were about to head out of the front door, Vernon appeared from the hallway.

‘Oh hey Hansol, we’re just going to grab something to eat for lunch’ Mingyu explained to the other.

‘I’m coming’ Hansol said ‘I’m starving’

‘Sure, you can ride in the back’ Mingyu suggested.

Wonwoo didn’t mind Vernon tagging along at all. He wasn’t too overbearing, and he was a bit shy just like himself.

‘Where are we going?’ Vernon asked, closing and locking the apartment door for the elder boys.

‘We are going to this new ramen place, I heard it is pretty nice’ Wonwoo answered.

As both Wonwoo and Vernon were conversing quietly, Wonwoo’s phone vibrated in Mingyu’s hands.

Noticing that Wonwoo hadn’t noticed yet, he read the text message and started typing out a reply.

‘Kim Mingyu, what are you doing with my phone?’ Wonwoo suddenly questioned, noticing Mingyu still had his mobile.

‘Nothing’ Mingyu giggled, hitting the send button.

‘Give me back my phone right now’ Wonwoo said, getting a bit frustrated ‘What were you typing?’

Mingyu finally gave Wonwoo back his phone, a mischievous smile on his lips.

Wonwoo read the two text messages on his phone. One seemed to be from Seungkwan, his lyrics assignment partner from the music major, and the other message was from himself that Mingyu had written.

‘Hello Jeon Wonwoo! I was wandering if you have any free time today so that we can start our assignment? It would be great if we could start writing the lyrics today! Thank you – from your assignment friend, Boo Seungkwan’

‘Sure, I am totally free today! But I am going out for a lunch date with friends. Feel free to come as well! I will be there with my very smart, tall, and handsome boyfriend ^^ - from Jeon Won Wonnie’

Wonwoo almost puked at the message that Mingyu had sent to his assignment partner. Seungkwan was going to think he was a complete weird person.

‘Why would you send that?’ Wonwoo complained ‘Now I have to socialise with him too, and he’s going to think I’m weird’

‘I was just helping you out’ Mingyu said ‘You said you found it hard to work on assignments with strangers, so I’m helping you get to know him’

Wonwoo scoffed, hitting Mingyu on the chest.

‘What was that for?’ Mingyu complained, rubbing his chest.

‘For being such a nice guy’ Wonwoo grumbled, he was seriously annoyed that Mingyu could do something so annoying, but still be so thoughtful.

‘I’m touched’ Mingyu said, holding his hand over his heart.

‘Can we please get going? I’m really hungry’ Hansol interrupted, a startled expression appearing on his face as his stomach made rumbling noises.

Wonwoo laughed slightly, slipping his phone into his pocket.

‘Okay, let’s go’ he said, not pulling away when Mingyu took his hand in his.

 

Once Mingyu had pulled up into a parking lot, not too far away from the ramen place, Wonwoo and Hansol immediately let themselves out of the car.

Hansol looked like he was about to throw up, but his stomach was so empty Wonwoo thought he wouldn’t have had anything to throw up anyway.

‘No offence, but I think you need to take a few more driving lessons man’ Hansol finally managed to say, as Mingyu took the keys out of the ignition and locked the car.

‘Sorry Mingyu, I second that’ Wonwoo said.

Every single time he went somewhere with Mingyu, he felt like he was risking his life.

‘You were meant to stick up for me’ Mingyu pouted ‘And I thought I was getting better with my driving’

‘A couple of more lessons wouldn’t hurt though’ Wonwoo said.

‘Yeah, my uncle is a driving instructor’ Hansol said ‘I bet he would give you a discount’

Mingyu continued to pout.

‘If you think I need the lessons, I guess it couldn’t hurt’ he muttered in a childish voice.

Wonwoo smiled slightly; Mingyu was kinda cute when he was offended.

This time, Wonwoo was the one to take Mingyu’s hand and all three of them headed into the eating establishment.

Mingyu’s slight pout turned into a huge smile, showing his canine teeth, as they approached a table towards the back that Soonyoung and Jihoon were already seated at.

‘It’s about time’ Jihoon stated, putting down the menu he was holding.

‘We thought you guys weren’t going to show up’ Soonyoung added.

‘I had to force him to come though; he’s been studying too hard’ Mingyu explained ‘And this is my roommate, Hansol. I hope you don’t mind him joining us’

 ‘The more people, the merrier’ Soonyoung said, gesturing Hansol over to the spot on the end of the table ‘It’s nice to meet you’

‘Yeah, nice to meet you guys too’ Vernon said, awkwardly taking a seat where he was shown.

‘More importantly, you’re holding hands! How cute is that!’ Soonyoung said, noticing Wonwoo holding Mingyu’s hand.

Wonwoo’s eyes widened, letting go of Mingyu’s hand and wiping it on his pair of sweat pants.

‘Ew gross’ he said, feeling himself blush for (what he thought) was the fourth time that day.

Wonwoo took a seat across from Jihoon, and Mingyu sat across from Soonyoung and in between Wonwoo and Vernon.

‘So, what grade are you in Hansol?’ Soonyoung asked, trying to make the younger boy feel comfortable.

‘I um… I just graduated from high school’ Hansol replied, picking up the menu.

‘Oh, that’s neat!’ Soonyoung said ‘What do you think you are going to do now?’

Hansol shrugged.

‘I have a part-time job washing dishes at a hotel restaraunt right now, but it kind of '

‘Are you interested in video games?’ Jihoon suddenly asked.

Vernon looked up from the menu and nodded.

‘One of my older friends owns a video game store not that far from here. He’s looking for part-time workers too; maybe I can put in a good word for you or something, I don’t know’

‘Well, yeah. Um… that would be really nice, thanks’ Hansol replied, noticeably becoming more happy and relaxed.

‘Why are you never that nice to me Jihoon? I thought you loved me’ Soonyoung pouted jokingly.

‘I do love you Soonyoung’

Soonyoung grinned, poking his finger in Jihoon’s ear with an annoying grin.

Wonwoo rolled his eyes at the couple, they were so annoying.

Suddenly somebody cleared there throat from somewhere close by.

‘Hello Jeon Won Wonnie, I hope I’m not late for lunch’

Wonwoo cringed, turing his head around to see his assignment partner.

‘My name is Jeon Wonwoo’ Wonwoo corrected him in a blank tone.

‘Oh, I- um sorry, I just thought because of the text message… you know’ the first year university student said.

Wonwoo was about to accept his apology when he was interrupted by the smart, tall and handsome guy sitting beside him.

‘What Wonwoo meant to say was no you’re not late, we were just looking over the menu. It’s really nice of you to join us! Please take a seat and make yourself comfortable

‘Thanks?’ Seungkwan said with a laugh ‘You must be the smart, tall, and handsome boyfriend then’

‘I’m flattered’ Mingyu said, suddenly nudging Wonwoo, trying to give him a signal to introduce Seungkwan to the rest of the group.

‘Oh, right! Umm…’ Wonwoo said, realising that introducing people to one another was an important social que ‘Guys this is Seungkwan, he is my assignment partner. And Seungkwan this is Mingyu, Jihoon, Soonyoung, and Hansol’

‘Nice to meet you’ Seungkwan said, feeling a little less awkward.

‘Are you a literature major too?’ Soonyoung asked.

Seungkwan shook his head.

‘I’m a music major; I’m focusing on my vocals’ Seungkwan replied, taking a seat in between Soonyoung and Vernon.

‘That’s cool, I’m a dance major. We should collaborate on something one time’ Soonyoung suggested.

‘I’ve always wanted to sing’ Hansol suddenly said ‘But it’s way too hard’

Seungkwan laughed ‘I’d like to listen to you singing some time; I could give you tips’

Hansol blushed, and formed some sort of reply. Wonwoo drifted his attention away from their conversation and started to watch Mingyu sneeze into his handkerchief. Wonwoo was proud of him.

‘You’re using the handkerchief I gave you’ Wonwoo pointed out.

Mingyu laughed, putting it back into his pocket.

‘I have to, otherwise you would murder me with your glares’ Mingyu said back.

‘Here I am thinking you actually learned something about hygiene in your culinary studies classes’ Wonwoo said, rolling his eyes.

After a half an hour spent waiting for their ramen to arrive, everybody was noisily inhaling the noodles.

‘This was definitely worth the wait’ Mingyu said with his mouth full.

‘I’m definitely coming here again’ Soonyoung agreed.

‘I’ve never eaten ramen this good’ Seungkwan said, also with his mouth full.

Once they were finished eating, Mingyu, Seungkwan, Hansol, and Wonwoo said their goodbyes to Jihoon and Soonyoung.

On the way back to the car, Wonwoo felt like he was forgetting something. He felt around in his pockets for his phone, but he couldn’t find it.

‘Mingyu, do you have my phone?’ he asked.

Mingyu turned back to look at Wonwoo, shaking his head.

‘No, I don’t have it. Why? Did you leave it at the restaurant?’

‘Yeah, I must have left it at the table’ Wonwoo said ‘I’ll run back in and get it; wait for me, okay?’

Mingyu nodded, unlocking the car for Seungkwan and Hansol to get inside.

When Wonwoo re-entered the restaurant to look for his phone, he headed straight for the table they were sitting at just before.

He looked around on the table, chairs, and even the ground underneath the table, but it was nowhere to be found.

He thought that one of the staff working there might have found it and put it into lost property, so Wonwoo made his way up to the counter.

‘Hello again, how may I help you?’ the cashier asked with a bright smile.

‘I think I have left my phone here. Did you see a phone anywhere?’ Wonwoo asked, hoping the waitress had picked it up earlier.

‘No, I’m sorry. We haven’t seen a phone around’ she said ‘But if we find a phone, we will contact you. Is there somebody we can contact to let you know if we find your phone?’

Wonwoo quickly gave the cashier Mingyu’s phone number, before heading back to the front door of the store.

On his way out, he could have sworn he had just seen Liu Yifei leaving the restaurant. The person was wearing a mask and a hoodie, but for some reason he just thought it was her.

Quickening his pace to see the masked girl a bit closer, Wonwoo exited the shop and looked around in every direction. There was no sign of her.

‘Wonwoo, are you alright? Did you find your phone?’ Mingyu shouted, waving his hands in the air.

Wonwoo jogged over to Mingyu’s car, shaking his head.

‘I couldn’t find it’ he said ‘What am I going to do now?’

‘It’s okay, we can go get a new phone tomorrow’ Mingyu suggested.

Wonwoo nodded.

‘Did you… did you happen to see Liu Yifei leaving the ramen place just now?’ he asked.

Mingyu shook his head.

‘I didn’t see anybody leaving the restaurant except for you’ Mingyu confirmed.

‘Huh…’ Wonwoo said, getting into the car with Mingyu.

‘Are you sure?’ Wonwoo asked again.

‘Yes, I’m sure. Now stop worrying about everything’ Mingyu said ‘Let’s just go back to our home’

Wonwoo looked out the window, secretly smiling. Maybe Mingyu was right about that Liu Yifei not being there, he could have easily mistaken any other girl wearing mask and hoodie for her.