History

Love at First Kiss

This is how it all started: When I was in my first year in college, I wasn't really a fan of Tiffany. Actually, I didn't even known her since she wasn't that popular at the time. You could even say her celebrity career was a flop, because solo artists weren't trendy back then. People favored girl groups and boy groups. Day by day, she began to disappear from the scene. Most people forgot who she was. There were only a few who noticed her other than those who didn't like her. What a cruel world it is we live in...

I was walking down the street alone. It was clear it was winter...snow covered trees and cars; even my furry parka, jeans, and boots weren't enough to warm my body. I was shivering from the cold weather, and as I looked around, I saw a convenience store near me. I hurried over, anxious for the warmth of the indoor heating. I opened the door, breathing out a sigh of relief as the warm air of the cozy store enveloped me.

I bought a cup of hot blended coffee and sat on one of the chairs along the glass window looking out into the street. I slowly sipped my steaming coffee and cleared my mind, just enjoying the warm beverage. Cars passed by, people chatted as I idly observed the outside world.

One girl caught my attention. She sat outside at one of the convenience store's tables, shielded from the snow by the umbrella that bloomed over her head. She was happily eating her ramyun. 

A smile formed on my lips as I watched her eat the noodles cutely, enjoying every bite of the noodles. I suddenly realized she looked really familiar. Have I seen her before?

I took another sip of my coffee as I glanced at her beautiful face. Even half covered by the hood of her sweater, her face was eye catching. My eyes were glued on her while she finished her bowl and started to prepare to leave.

I was shocked when she caught me staring at her and her eyes locked onto mine. Time stopped, my heartbeat quickened, everything faded out in the background but her. I snapped back into reality when she waved at me and flashed me her stunning smile.

Then she took her leave, but for some reason I didn't want her to leave. I kept thinking, who is she? Without knowing, I had grabbed my coffee and left the convenience store to follow her. 

Why am I following her? No voice answered me.

Taking a sip as I walked, I kept following her. My eyes were glued on her as I strolled behind her. Unknowingly, a man who was out accidentally jogging bumped me on the side.

He wasn't paying attention and I fell, the coffee spilling out onto my right hand. I hissed in pain as I winced from the burn of the hot coffee.

"I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to," the man apologized to me.

"Keep your eyes on the road, will you?" I growled, irritated and in pain.

While I was arguing with the man who had bumped into me, a girl came and touched my injured hand. 

"Miss, are you okay?" She asked, sounding worried.

I didn't notice the man leave as she helped me up. I was speechless in shock as I looked at her.

"Miss are you okau?" She asked again.

I didn't know why I was so flustered and nervous, I couldn't explain it.

"A-ah,  y-yes...I'm...I'm okay," I stuttered, and then realized that the girl that had helped me up was the same girl that was eating ramyun outside of the store earlier.

"Come with me." Tiffany grabbed my uninjured hand.

"Where are we going?" 

There was no reply. I knew I should have been struggling to get away since she was a complete stranger, but I got the feeling that she wouldn't do anything bad to me.

"We're here," she announced happily after two minutes of walking. I looked up and saw that it was the same conveniece store that I had bought my coffee from.

"W-why are we he-"

"Just wait here."

As I waited for her, I mumbled to myself. "Why am I here? Everything happened so fast." I sighed. She came out from the store holding a plastic bag and made me sit at the table she had sat at earlier. Without a word, she grabbed my injured hand and prepared to apply ointment.

I stopped her. "No, I can manage...thank you," I smiled.

"But I already bought this," she pouted. I couldn't argue against her, feeling guilty. She must have seen my resigned expression as she continued what she was doing before.

"Arggghhh," I groaned in pain.

"Does it hurt?" She asked, while looking at my pained expression. I nodded as a reply. "This will leave a scar if you don't treat it soon." She said while doing her thing.

I gathered myself and bravely said,"t-thank y-you." It was simple but I was nervous. I looked away, knowing she was going to glance at me.

"You're welcome." I couldn't resist looking and saw her give me her cute smile with those crescented eyes.

"I'm Taeyeon, Kim Taeyeon," I introduced myself.

"What's your name?" I asked her.

She paused for a second and answered, "Stephanie...Stephanie Hwang." Even her name sounded familiar.

I was still trying to figure out who she was when she announced, "Done. It'll be bad If it leaves a scar on a beautiful lady like you," she joked. My heart skipped a beat. I looked away, flustered, so that she wouldn't see my face turning red.

"Omo...why is your face turning red, do you have a fever?" 

"Umm, no, it's normal, don't worry," I said, trying to play it off nervously.

"That's weird. Let me see." 

I panicked, trying to keep my cool image. She was about to touch my forehead with those long fingers when I instinctively grabbed her hand to stop it from touching my face.

"I'm really ok, thanks for worrying," I smiled, hoping she didn't feel bad. Her hand was so soft. I think I enjoyed it so much, I forgot that I was still holding it. "Oh, I'm sorry." I let go when I realized I was still holding her hand. Her face reddened, and she kept staring at the table, looking away from me.

A minute passed, and the atmosphere felt extremely awkward. I didn't know why... we're both girls.

I broke the silence. "Stephanie, thank you so much for your kindness. I really appreciate it." I felt bad saying it, but I thought that it was the right time to. "I'll be going then..."

I stood and bowed to her 90 degrees in respect. 

"Thank you," I said with a smile. I looked at her sad eyes, turned by back and started to walk away. I felt guilty leaving just like that. I wished I could see her again...though I was happy with we had.

I was walking and listening to music in my earbuds. Just when I was about to put my cold hands in my pocket to warm them up, a hand grabbed mine. I looked back, yelling in shock, then saw that it was Stephanie.

"You scared me there," I chuckled. "Why? Did you forget something?" I couldn't help but admire her beauty as I asked her.

"Can you stay with me? For a little bit?" She asked, panting from running after me.


Author's question.. 
Why do you think she want her to stay?