Chapter 7: The Clingy Classmate that Won't Leave

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Oh, how things have changed. 

This morning, there wasn’t the expected scolding but in fact, compliments. More than that, it was coming from the Chief. He had never received such a bright smile on the older man’s face other than the first moment he first started his job at the station.

Well, before all of his failures. 

Even the looks from his co-workers have changed. No more were there looks of sympathy or disapproval. 

Perplexedly, Yongguk made his way down the hallway of the station.

***

“Yongguk, you made a drug arrest?”

The young man looked up as several officers took a seat at the break table. It was lunchtime and this was the only time officers were able to sit around and gossip about the people they had come into contact with during their duties.

“…Yes.” Yongguk responds curtly. 

“That’s really amazing, those arrests are hard considering they always have routes of escape planned.”

“Tell me about it. I’ve made so many failed drug arrests.”

“You should see the things they do to get rid of evidence.” Another added.

“Not to mention, it seemed like one of the guys was from Nabi.”

In comparison to his co-workers, Yongguk couldn’t join in on the conversation…he wasn’t used to this kind of attention or situation where he was able to converse about such common topics. 

“Yongguk?”

He blinked back and looked up to meet their attentive eyes. “Huh?”

“You can’t be tired.” One joked and smiled. “Chief is going to expect more from you.”

Yongguk gulped – the pressure upon his shoulders nearly brought him to his knees right then and there. “I’ll…work hard.”

***

Slamming down her hand to end the loud alarm, Haru groans aloud – morning had come too soon. Peeking out of one eye, she looked at the time. If she didn’t get up now, she’ll never make it in time for school before the first bell…

Well, if only she cared enough.

Turning in the opposite direction, Haru figured five more minutes wouldn’t hurt. It wasn’t like anything important was going to happen in that short amount of time. 

And she thought wrong.

Standing in front of the classroom, Haru stared at the groups already formed – a small scowl revealed itself upon her face. She hated this the most. Group work was the bane of her school life. She didn’t like interacting with others and the feeling was mutual. 

“Haru, that group over there is short one person.” 

Her teacher nudged her forward and without much options available, she walked towards the desk surrounded by three of her classmates. Grabbing a chair that no one was using, Haru pulled it closer and took her seat. Her groupmates took glimpses at her, not fully accepting of her just yet. 

Leaning back, Haru folded her arms upon her chest as the others continued on with their work. 

Her fingers mindlessly tapped against her arm. 

One of the group members looked up before shyly pushing forward the worksheet. “…This is what we’re working on.” 

Haru stared back at the girl and then down at the sheet of paper. “Don’t bother with me.” She had no intention of joining nor did she have the intention to complete whatever assignment it was. 

“Don’t think of copying our work – “

Haru stared at the male student across from her and the boy suddenly stopped in the midst of his words. “Have I ever spoken to you?”

He stuttered as he looked for a response.

If she hadn’t ever spoke a word to him, what makes him think she’s going to ask to see his assignment?

The girl from before nervously chuckled. “Don’t be like that, Sungwon. We’re supposed to be working together.” She tried to ease the tension.

Sungwon? There’s one here too? Something tells her that just like the number 70, she was going to start disliking that name. “I can’t stay here.” Haru started to get up from her seat.

“What’s wrong? Did something bother you?” The girl asks. 

“Yeah, Sungwon.” Without a proper explanation, Haru leaves her seat and heads to the door.

“Lee Haru, where are you going?” The teacher asks before she could get away.

“Bathroom.”

***

Closing her locker, Haru nearly jumped out of her skin. Closing her eyes, she composed herself before dealing with the familiar female student in front of her. “What is it?”

Without another word, the female classmate from before offers her a sheet of paper. “Don’t you want credit?”

Staring at her, Haru didn’t have an immediate response.

The classmate urges her to take it with a smile.

“You need me to beat someone up?”

“Of course not.” The girl says with a chuckle.

“Is this revenge for something?” 

“How could you think that?”

“Is this a trick? I’m telling you now, don’t make me angry.” Haru warned her. 

“No strings attached.”

Yet, Haru couldn’t just accept her answer or the completed assignment being given to her. “Why?”

“I noticed you’re alone all the time.”

“So, you’re being a good Samaritan?” This is a pity interaction?

She merely shrugged, not offended by Haru’s harsh words. “I don’t think you’re bad, Haru.”

Clicking her tongue, Haru brushed past her. “I don’t need the assignment.”

But, not one to give up, her classmate matched her pace and joined her down the hallway. Hugging the few books against her chest as she did so. 

“My name is Jieun.”

“I didn’t ask.” Haru couldn’t help thinking that the girl was like a dog who had bitten her leg and refused to let go.

“Let’s have lunch together.”

“I don’t have lunch.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter