Chapter 19: Watch in the Rain

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

So, last night, Haru had done the unthinkable.

She felt like she had been lax on her trouble-making ways for quite a while now. So, she had to do something to change that – calling up the police station last night with some payphone, she left a little tip. A ‘tip’ that really had nothing to back up but hey, let’s just see how it turns out.

All she said was, ‘saw some men going into a warehouse on blah-blah corner off of Sugo Street, with big boxes’. 

That’s all.

Then, in the morning, she the news to find Nabi blasted for their storage filled with illegally obtained fire weapons. 40 boxes were confiscated among paper cash in duffle bags. 

She couldn’t quite believe her own eyes. 

But, when she had confirmed it, laughter filled her home – that is truly and utterly amazing.

***

A few days later, before she could keep track of the trial through the news, Haru opened her phone up in the morning while still in bed to find a text message from Yongguk. 

The two were given light sentences. After few short months in jail, they’ll be released to do some volunteer work. 

Haru releases a sigh and drops her phone beside her, letting it thump on the surface of her floor futon. After reading the small update, she found it quite easily to wake up this morning. So, after sitting up, Haru got to work on her morning routine – a routine she usually skips for the afternoon one.

It was unusual and left Haru wondering what she should do to pass the time. 

After washing her face, she takes a seat in her living room at her small coffee table and pulls out her earnings for the month. With a small pen and paper, she scribbles down possible necessary expenses and a groan slips from her lips with each minus sign. 

Silently, Haru held onto the 22,000 won in her hands and heaves a sigh with a drop of her head – this is what she has to make last for two weeks. 

Well, looks like her lunch and dinner will be spent at the local convenience store on snacks. 

***

“Haru, let’s meet up today.”

Jieun’s cheerful voice was enough to distract Haru from choosing her lunch from the rack of snacks. 

“Because you had to take me home the other night, I’ll treat you to something! I have my mom’s card!”

“They haven’t taken that away yet?” 

“They don’t know.” The girl’s voice dropped to a whisper before returning to its normal volume, “so, what do you say?”

“Haru.”

Turning around with her phone still up to her ear, she sees Yongguk peeking inside the front door in his bright blue uniform. 

“Haru?”

“Maybe next time, Jieun.” Haru ends the call and answers Yongguk’s little hand motion that is calling her over. “Why are you here, Yongguk?”

“Didn’t I tell you that if you were hungry, I’ll take you for some noodles?” Good thing he ran into her. 

“But, aren’t you on patrol?”

“I’m on break.” He offers her a smile and taps the back of her head to urge her to follow after him.  

The drive wasn’t long, in fact, it would only take ten minutes if Haru was to walk. Quickly parking, the two got out while Yongguk took the lead. The shop was small – in Haru’s opinion, this type of place would be popular with people who liked to meet up after work for some snacks and a beer. 

“Yongguk, you’re here?” 

Haru looks up after taking a seat at one of the small circular tables. She figures the woman who was peeking out from the curtain that separated the kitchen from the front was his mom. 

“Two bowls, mom.” Yongguk grins as his mom got to work. 

“How’s your break, Haru?” 

“I’m rather bored.” There was no school or volunteering to take up her time. 

“Did you do anything?”

She was so tempted to say ‘no’ but it wouldn’t look good, would it? “I met up with a friend.” 

Yongguk was surprised to hear Haru mentioned a friend but kept his reaction subtle, he didn’t want her to feel conscious about it. “That’s good to hear, Haru.”

“Did you think I wouldn’t have friends?” She could see the assumption written all over his face. And, as if she hit the bullseye, Yongguk’s eyes went wide while trying to stutter an excuse. “It’s okay,” she chuckles, “I’m surprised by it too.”

Maybe it was always hard to make friends because no one bother to make an effort when Haru was doing all the rejecting and when it came to Jieun, she never gave up. It was also probably hard because people were intimidated while Jieun saw Haru differently.

“Here, you go.” 

Haru blinked back from her thoughts at the sight of the steaming bowl of noodles and soup in front of her. waters at the sight and she picks up her chopsticks – but, there was still something to do. She looks up at Yongguk’s mom. “Thank you for the meal.”

His mom kindly smiled back before turning to Yongguk. “I told you to bring a girlfriend around and here you are, showing up with a high schooler.”

“Huh?” Startled by his mom’s reaction, Yongguk quickly denied her suspicions for being the case. “That’s not it, mom.”

“It’s not?” This time, she turns to Haru who gives her a quick shake of her head. 

“Well, if it isn’t…” His mom turns away to return to the kitchen. 

Haru stared after the older woman before turning her attention back on Yongguk. “You two…are surprisingly not alike.”

Yongguk was go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter