Chapter 35: Asking for a Payback

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Though the rain had long stopped, it didn’t erase the fact that she didn’t look her best– she actually looks pretty damn terrible. 

Walking up the long stretch of her driveway, Haru takes a peek at her feet. Her choice of footwear for the event had already done a number on her heels and toes. She just can’t wait to rip them off–, 

“Haru!” 

The door is thrown open to reveal a startled Jongup and Barom. 

“I made it back… or did you think I wouldn’t?” She never thought she would actually come back on her own. This would mark the first time considering Jongup and Barom always accompanied her and took her to and from places.

Stepping inside, she kicks the high heels off. She couldn’t help but release a sigh of relief the moment her feet made contact on even ground. 

“What happened to the event?” She questions.

Barom shrugs. “Nothing. They couldn’t do anything since we weren’t breaking the law.”

“So, did you escape or…?”

“They couldn’t arrest me.” Haru replies while starting for the stairs. “False alarm.”

“Where are you going?”

“Look at me.” She shoots over her shoulder. “I’m going to take a shower and head to bed.”

And she stayed true to her word.

Laying there on her bed and underneath her comforters, Hercules snuggles up close to her. Running her hand over his head, she goes over what happened today once more. 

There was something she was missing–, 

Her hand comes to a stop upon realization. 

Yongguk said there was a tip.  

***

The three stood before the desk and with their hands clasped in front of them. It was only minutes ago when their shift began and they were already called into the Chief’s office. And, there could only be one reason.

“Who gave permission for that operation yesterday?”

Without hesitation, Youngjae raises his hand. “I did, sir.”

“But, we agreed to it also, sir.” Yongguk is the next to add and with Sungwon nodding his head. 

“Please explain, detective.” The Chief stares at him in disbelief. What excuse could he possibly offer? “Please justify your actions because I need to know if it was worth getting a call from my superiors.” 

“We received a tip yesterday, sir.” Youngjae begins. “We aren’t still investigating Lee Haru and her father, Lee Seonwoong.”

“And what was the tip?”

“A disturbance on Meonjeo avenue and we learned that there was a dinner between Nabi and their groups.”

The Chief presses his lips together. Oh, he was definitely unhappy. 

“We were only answering the tip.”

“That’s not good enough, detective.” Their superior points out. 

“Why?” Youngjae questions. “Why are we getting yelled at for doing our jobs?”

“Detective Youngjae, you keep acting this way and you won’t have a job.” The Chief shoots back before sighing. “This is your final warning to back off.”

“We have always unsuccessfully tried to capture Nabi and now we have a chance,” Youngjae argues.

Yongguk looks to the detective, startled by his unexpected argumentative rebuttal. 

The Chief wasn’t having it. “I’m not going to say it a third time.”

“So, this isn’t the best time to say that we have a plan?” Sungwon carefully says.

“Get out of my office,” he points the three to the door. 

***

“What are you thinking about?”

“Things.” Haru curtly responds to Barom’s curiosity. 

She had replayed the event yesterday over and over again in her mind. The moment she arrived, did she see anything out of place?

She must have missed something.

Who would call in a tip? Who would know to do so? That part definitely didn’t make sense.

She is the perfect person to have noticed if anything was strange. She basically sat in a corner and observed. She remembers looking around the hall but no one was acting suspicious. She ran into– well, Jieun followed her to the bathroom. It was right after she left the bathroom when she saw the cops–, 

We’re leaving?

“Oh, my God.” She slaps a hand on her forehead. “Oh, my God!”

Hercules sits up in a start due to her loud exclamation.

“Why are you yelling?” Barom stared at her in confusion. 

“I need to calm myself down first.” She utters lowly. The audacity. She can’t even comprehend it. “What are the chances that Geomi was behind it?”

“Behind what?” 

“The tip.” Haru responds. “The ing tip.”

“How do you know? There’s no way you can prove that.”

“Jieun. Song Jieun was in the bathroom with me when she received a call. I don’t know who it was from but I remember her asking, ‘we’re leaving?’.” Immediately after that, Haru saw the cops coming.

Was that coincidence?

Every inch of her body denies it. 

“Think about it, B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter