Chapter 39: Excitement is Overrated

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The three look out of the windows of their parked car. Youngjae’s hands are mildly tensed on the steering wheel as he observed the area. He couldn’t brush off the feeling that something could jump out at him at any moment. 

“There’s something in the air,” Sungwon comments from the backseat. 

Even the officer noticed it. Sugo street is usually busy but today, it’s unnaturally inactive. Yongguk couldn’t stop the bad feeling simmering at the pit of his stomach. Something is definitely up. 

***

“Haru, you’re being really obvious.”

“About what?” She asks, feigning ignorance.

“Geomi knows you’re targeting them.”

She bites back the laughter that wanted to slip past her lips. When was it a mystery? “As long as I deny, they can’t do anything about it, right?” If they can do it, so can she. 

They sat across from each other at the dining table. Barom had also joined them minutes before to have some take-out for dinner. This has become the usual since she stopped holing herself up in her bedroom. 

She stops her chewing and leans forward. “There’s a reason why you’re here with me… you think my approach is better than my dad’s.” Even if Jongup doesn’t admit it out loud, she will bet money that her assumption had hit the mark. 

“It’s not that… completely. You are in a position where you could act out and it could be brushed off as mischief.” Just as she directs her attention back on the food, he voices his curiosity. “So, what’s your next plan?”

A small smile appears on her lips. “I think it’s about time to end someone’s vacation.”

The two look up, pure interest upon their faces.

“Can you guys handle that?” Haru asks.

Silently, Jongup digs into the band of his waist pants. Scrutinizing him, she waits to figure out what he’s up to. Appearing above the table and in his hand, is a gun. She stiffens up at the sight of him casually placing it upon the table’s surface. 

“Jongup.” His name sneaks out through her clenched teeth. 

“It was digging into my hip.”

Sudden knocks– or more like heavy thumps upon their front door happens to save Jongup’s face in that moment. Barom slides his chair back and goes to open it. 

“We need to talk to boss.”

Their voices softly meet Haru’s ears from the dining room. 

“What’s the problem?” Barom could be heard asking. 

“You know what’s been going on. Do you really need to ask?” The angry voice retorts before a second joins in. 

“Tell him it’s important.”

“Why didn’t you reach him through the phone?” Barom refuses their attempts for a meeting. 

“It came to a point where he wasn’t answering.”

“So, you came all the way here? He can’t see you.”

“Go tell him Jinro from Pari is here to see him.” The man demanded.

“Whatever the problem is, he has been working on it. Just wait it out.” With those last words, the door closes to only welcome more pounding upon its surface.

“That’s not going to solve it.” Haru says when Barom returns. 

“What do you want us to do?” Jongup asks. “Boss is busy and it’s always the same complaints.”

Like she had figured, the knocks return after two hours. This time, Jongup goes to open it but it ends the same way. Beol is turned away after their request to meet with her dad is rejected. From the couch, Haru watches Jongup pass by before going back to petting Hercules lying in her lap. 

When night arrived, it brought along with it more guests. Haru wakes up from her nap on the couch after hearing the knocks and from the movement of Hercules jumping to his feet to look at the door. 

It was Barom’s turn but she places her hand out to motion him to stop in his tracks. He watches as she moves to her feet to do what he and Jongup has done all day. Opening the door, she didn’t know who she’s looking at. 

“Which one are you from?” She asks.

“Nabang.” The man answered with the company of a man and woman beside him. 

“What is it?”

“Cops have been on our case and we demand a solution now.” 

Jongup is right. It’s the same complaints. “Have you thought about why you’ve been getting caught?” 

He stares at her in incredulity. “Are you blaming us?”

“No, that is not what I am saying–,”

“We want to speak to boss.”

They should really take a second to think about her words. “Listen, think about why this has suddenly–,”

“Send them in.”

She has been interrupted again. Spinning around, she finds her dad at the top of the stairs. Without another word, he walks back to his office and the three people from Nabang brushes past her to go see him.  

Haru does continue to watch the closed office door after and finds the guests leaving after an hour of talking without giving awa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter