Chapter 8: Her Cool Moves and His Admiration

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“So, did you do what I asked of you?”

Haru breathed in, using the few seconds that she had to offer an excuse.

“Quit stalling.” Mr. Jung comments without any particular annoyance. “I expected this.”

“Well…” She begins. “I think my life will play out on its own.” She has long come to that conclusion but didn’t think to voice it in front of Dr. Jung – she knew he wouldn’t accept an answer such as that.

“Are you saying your life has already been predestined?” Like, it has been planned?

Haru nods – to some degree. At least, there is no confusion. 

“You think your life is heading in a certain way?”

“You get it, Mr. Jung.”

“Haru.” He calls out. “That is not how life works.”

Just as she predicted. “Fine. I’ll get something to you soon.” She gets up on her feet and heads for the door. Once entering the hallway, she shrugs off the conversation. He’ll certainly have to wait forever because she had no plan to give him.

***

Leaving school, Haru pulls out her phone. Going through the call list, she finds unknown numbers calling her repeatedly. Yet, she wasn’t thinking of calling any of them back – she wasn’t one to give out her number so carelessly.

In this entire world, only a few people knew it – those at the police station and people from work. 

And suddenly at a realization, she could feel the irritation slowly build up within her – 

“Haru, can we speak to you?”

Looking back up, Haru slips her phone back into her pocket and offer her classmates her attention. Standing in the middle of the pathway, the other students continued to pass by her. 

“What is it?”

The five looked between themselves upon realizing that she wasn’t in a particular good mood before one took control of the situation. 

“Is there any way that you can appear more approachable?”

It took a second before Haru understood where this conversation was heading. Following it, she couldn’t stop the humorless chuckle that slipped from her lips. “Excuse me?” They are nearly at the end of their high school career and they decide this is the perfect time?

“It’s just that…our classmates are afraid of you.”

“Isn’t that something you should take up with them?” How was that her problem?

“Well – “

“Hey, Kisung.” 

Haru turned to the side to find Jieun coming towards them.

Standing beside Haru, Jieun places her hand on her own hips. “How would you feel if you were in her spot being confronted like this?” She asked the boy before her. 

“There is no other way.” He denied. 

“Why don’t you all try to first understand her – where are you going, Haru?” Before she could finish her lecture, the young girl already started to walk off. “Kisung, be more reasonable next time, would you?” With those last words, she left the five behind and chased after Haru. “How did I do?” She peered beside her.

“What kind of nonsense are you saying now?” Haru retorts.

Jieun faced front and her lips pressed into a smile. “I wanted to work on speaking my mind.”

“I told you that it would only bring you trouble.”

“I see it differently.” She responds. 

“Okay, well, good for you.” Haru speeds up to get away from the girl but the girl was not one to relent and Haru was painfully aware of this. Refusing to let the girl have her way, Haru started sprinting.

“See you tomorrow, Haru!” Jieun cheerfully exclaimed from behind.

God. Was she ever going to be left alone?

***

Rushing into the station, Haru beelined through the station and plopped herself onto the chair beside Youngjae’s desk – the chair that she always sat in when waiting for Yongguk when she wasn’t late.

Almost as if it was habit now, she dug into her pocket for the blue ball and began squeezing it. Youngjae quickly noticed her enthusiastic actions and figured she wasn’t in the best mood and he wasn’t going to find out if it was true or not.

Her movements come to an abrupt stop upon Yongguk taking his first steps into the station. Jumping up on her feet, she rushes over to him, unable to wait any longer.

“Yongguk, let’s go.” Grabbing his arm, she tugs him out into the hall. “Tell me it’s patrol today, please, please, please – “

“It’s patrol.” He stared at her, bewildered by her behavior.

“Now, tell me that you have an extra pair of normal clothes with you, please, please – “

“I change when I get here.”

“Great.” Haru breathed in, calming herself. Things were going great. “Can you go change back into them?”

“Haru, I have to abide to policies – “

“Where we’re going, you can’t be wearing this.” She looked at his blue official uniform. 

Looking down at the young girl, he had all kinds of confused thoughts but figured Haru wouldn’t give him time to organize them. 

“Come on, Yongguk. We don’t have all day.” Spinning him around, she nudges him forward. “Get changed.”

***

This certainly felt unnatural.

Haru glances at him. “Why are you fidgeting so much?” He wasn’t alone in this. She ended up changing into her gym sweats and it wasn’t that bad. “Is the blue uniform a part of your skin?”

“I didn’t know you were planning to return to Sugo street.” Besides, only detectives get to wear civilian clothes. So, of course it felt unnatural.

To be honest, it wasn’t her plan today either. But, things happen and you have to adapt. “Have you ever thought about being promoted, Yongguk?”

Startled by the unexpected quest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter