Chapter 40: The Importance of Allies

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

What the hell.

Haru could have had a mental breakdown right in that moment. Could she understand why Yongguk and Sungwon were standing there? No. Was she angry? Hell yeah. How could Yongguk just show up here and expect everything would go smoothly? What did he even want from this–,

Jongup reacts first. Just as he is stepping back and pulling out his gun from the band of his waist pants, Haru’s foot moves on its own and appears behind his step. He knocks backwards into Barom and the two trip over themselves and land flat on the platform. 

Insoo, who has no idea what is currently transpiring, looks back in shock at the scene. Haru runs past him and sends a kick against Yongguk’s chest that forces him back over the edge of the pier. He topples into the water while bringing Sungwon along with him. The latter letting out a low shout before the sound of splashing water follows.   

Jongup moves to his feet. “Haru!”

She takes a moment to look over while hoping the two didn’t take the chance of escape for granted.

The two officers try to clamber back into their small boat, tossing the silver briefcase in first before hauling themselves out of the cold water and speeding off. Yongguk, his body subtly shivering from the cold, looks back and for a moment, his eyes meet Haru’s. Jongup rushes forward and stops beside Haru just as the sound of boat motors fill the air.

Jongup wildly motions at the men. “Catch those cops!” 

“Cops?” Insoo snaps his head back to see them in the midst of their getaway. 

She looks out onto the waters to see speedboats following their trail. That doesn’t look right. How did they react so fast?

“We knew they were coming.” Jongup says from beside her. “We just didn’t know for sure but after seeing their faces, I think I got my confirmation.”

She turns and offers him her attention while maintaining her expression to not give anything away. “What a shame then. You had a heads-up and still managed to screw it up.”

“You screwed it up. You did that on purpose.” He accuses. “You helped them.”

“Jongup, did I really?”

“Now, they’re going to arrest us.”

“I think you’re jumping to conclusions too soon.”

***

For a second, she thought the careless officers would get captured but seeing how Jongup’s expression is still cross, she can assume that it is a failed operation. So now, the nagging follows. 

“I didn’t help them.” She repeats her words from last night.

“To hell you didn’t.”

“Where’s the proof?” Haru asks calmly at the dining table as she gets started on her breakfast. 

“You–,” he abruptly stops. 

“I didn’t think so. I tried to beat them up but they ended up falling in the water. Totally unexpected.” She places her attention back on her food. “You know what else is unexpected? You not telling me about them beforehand.” She had a bone to pick with him also.

“Do I even have to explain it?” Jongup retorts.

She looks in Barom’s direction and he finally breaks his silence. “Haru, we suspected that you would interfere.”

“And, we were right.” Jongup adds.

Who is ‘we’? So, was her dad testing her? In the midst of the mess they were already dealing with? “Aren’t there bigger things to worry about?”

After they got home last night, she knew something was up. Her dad’s office light was still on, spilling through the cracks of his door and Jongup had been looking at his phone all night. And, she was certain that it had nothing to do with the officers or with her interference, as they claim.

Because he would have definitely been yelling at her. But, the car ride home was mostly silent. 

“Is the situation with the gangs getting worse?” She asks.

Jongup looks up at her and it’s enough to tell her so. “What makes you think it’s getting worse?”

“I’m quick to catch onto things.” 

The gangs were repeatedly turned away at their door. Not only that, she suddenly remembers the Pari club fiasco where she made a mess. Their stress and their fear was a ticking time bomb. So, did it finally explode?

“So, what are you two doing here?” With the current mess, how could they just be sitting at the dining table with her. 

“We plan to meet up with boss soon for a meeting.”

“So, when are we–,”

“Not you.” Jongup clarifies. “Boss wants you to stay put but I know you won’t listen.”

What? Is her dad suspicious of her now? “Then, drop me off at Jeongbo later.”

***

Peeking out of the window after breakfast, a car stands out in the street like a sore thumb.

Jongup suddenly appears beside her and harshly pulls the curtains aside. “Are they here–,”

Haru walks away first and stops at the front door. She looks back to find Jongup waiting to see what she will do. “Wanna come?”

He doesn’t budge.

“You may have known they were coming but aren’t you curious about how they found out about the pier?”

The three walk out to the yard together. She did think about bringing Hercules with her but she figured that would be too cruel. Reaching the gates, she meets up with the three cops waiting on the other side. They greet each other through the sizable gaps of the black bars.

Notably, Sungwon was blowing his nose into a tissue. 

“How’s it going?” She asks. 

“The spying is going well.” Youngjae responds. 

“It’s not going well if we know all of your faces.” Haru retorts. “It just looks like you’re wasting time.” 

Barom and Jongup remain quiet as Haru takes control of the conversation. 

“We came here with a suggestion.” Yongguk speaks up. “An opportunity for you.”

She chuckles. Whatever it is, she’s sure that she isn’t interested. “What?”

His attention shifts towards Barom and Jongup before they land back on her. “Well–,”

“You turn yourself in and you won’t get into too much trouble.” Youngjae finishes effortlessly. 

“I’m not interested.” She replies quickly as it didn’t require much thought.

Yongguk figure she wouldn’t be easy to convince. “If you don’t, last night’s activity is enough to get you all in big trouble.”

Wow. Yongguk is stepping up his game. Except–, “Do you have proof?” This has been a common theme it so appears. 

He freezes then. 

“Did you guys receive another tip?” Haru asks. “Must be a really reliable informant. But, anyways, since you can’t arrest me I don’t know why you’re here.”

“Just give me a reason.” Youngjae retorts.

“You did always have it out for me.” She comments with a click of her tongue. Haru goes to turn around when Yongguk’s sudden words cause her to freeze.

“It was a different informant this time.”

Sungwon and Youngjae both look in his direction. 

Haru scrutinizes him. Was that the truth? But, Yongguk wasn’t conniving enough to get her caught in a trap. Why would he reveal that now when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter