Chapter 25: Below Expectations

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After Yongguk left that night…there was something about the way it looked as she watched his retreating back that brought this weird sensation at the pit of her stomach.

She didn’t know what it was.

But, for certain, she knew it wasn’t pleasant. She’ll blame it on the anxiety. Entering her bedroom, Haru pulls out the backpack still lying in her closet. Begging to be used.

And used, it shall be.

***

There is something Haru has come to terms with. Things didn’t get done if she was just lying around. Trouble always came to her but it was a hundred times more satisfying to actually look for it. 

So, today, Haru found it only right to toss aside her tattered backpack for the fresh one. In with the new and out with the old, as they say. 

Marching down the school’s hallway, Haru flashed it around. Not like anyone would care – scratch that, one person should care. 

And predictably, there was certainly attention.

At first, Haru was blinded by the amicable offer of friendship but now that the secret’s out, everything Jieun did made her suspicious. So, how did it ever go unnoticed in the beginning?

“Haru.”

Halting in her steps that was originally bringing her to lunch, she looks up to find Mr. Jung calling her over to his office. With a sigh, she knew she was going to have to put her grumbling stomach aside for the next ten minutes.

Taking a seat as he closed his office door, he returns to his chair. 

“I’ve spoken to your teachers.”

“Again?” A groan nearly slips from her lips.

“It’s good – I heard good things.” He soothes her. “Your grades have been going up.”

“Because of Jieun.” Haru reluctantly admits.

“Haru, it’s all you. It wasn’t like Jieun gave you answers.”

Well, that’s true. 

“So, have you thought about what you want to do?”

Breathing in, Haru thinks about what her and Yongguk spoke about before. “Definitely, University.”

Like they were magic words, it brings Mr. Jung grinning. “Really? You’ve made up your mind?”

She nods, unable to hold back her own smile. “I’m excited, Mr. Jung. For the future.”

Given, there are things she needed to take care of first but when they’re out of the way, she can focus on graduation that was coming up. 

Then, she’ll do whatever she wants. And, no one would be able to stop her. 

“Well, that’s – I’m just very happy to hear that.” 

Haru nods her head. “Is there anything else?”

“Not at all. Hurry to lunch.”

***

Lunch with Jieun took all of her self-control. If she had given in, she would have possibly flipped the cafeteria table the moment Jieun complimented her use of the backpack that she had received. 

Closing her locker, Haru walks away and towards the exit. 

“Where are you going, Haru?”

Stopping in the hallway, she looks over her shoulder. “Wouldn’t you like to know, Jieun?” Shooting a pressed smile, Haru resumes her original task. 

***

This time, there was no cap and no hiding. This time, Haru marched down Beogeu Street like she owned it. And, it wasn’t due to the fact that a girl like her in a school uniform stole people’s attention, she was sure the backpack was doing ninety percent of the job.

So, what’s her grand ol’ plan?

Haru was going to draw attention to herself and well, she’s going to wing it.

Though it does seem like Haru is instigating – which she was – but, they will learn Lee Haru is not going to sit around and be somebody’s pawn. No, she has big dreams now.

So, everything will be okay. Just fine. 

“Haru!”

She falters in her step and look behind her. “Yongguk – wait, no, get out of here.” 

He runs up and stops before her. “What are you doing here?” With eyes wide and chest heaving, he voices what she already knows. “This is Beogeu Street – 

“Yes, it is. But, Yongguk, you gotta – “

“ – You shouldn’t be here by yourself.”

Oh, my God. This couldn’t be happening. “I’ll explain later. Now, just go.” She throws her head around toward the street but it’s too late – 

Black vans come to a screeching halt at the curb, trying to prevent the routes of any possible escape. 

This was not what she imagined would happen. 

This scale was slightly bigger than she anticipated. ‘Winging it’ is a bad idea.

Gripping Yongguk’s hand, she drags him after her down the sidewalk as they begin sprinting. “You weren’t supposed to be here!” She shouts at him. Letting go of his hand, she pushed her legs faster. “Keep up.”

“Haru, what – why are we suddenly running?”

They saw him with her. 

Yongguk was just one cop. One c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter