Chapter 42: Sniffing the Money Trail

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“What are you thinking about, Youngjae?” 

The detective snaps back from his thoughts and straighten up in his seat. He looks back at Yongguk. “I was wondering if this was a good deal or not.” 

In exchange for Nabi, they capture Geomi? 

But, it’s a waste to let the big fish get away. 

Yongguk noticed the ambition reflected in Youngjae’s tone but in this situation, it was too much of a gamble to ignore the hand that Haru extended. And, she’s smart enough to catch on if she sniffs a hint of any shiftiness. 

He wouldn’t ever let the detective ruin it. Not when Haru had seek them out on her own volition. This is his chance to help her. 

Youngjae sighs. Well, let’s just see where this goes. “Anything on Dali yet?”

“Haru didn’t give us many details so it may take a while.” Sungwon answers before looking out towards the station. Coming in this morning, he finds it emptier than usual.

The sight of someone approaching sends the three hiding any material that would get them scolded again. Even Yongguk has been getting better at it. Just as the Chief appeared, they had all found their own way in looking casual. 

Yes, Yongguk has definitely gotten better. 

“What are you all up to?” The older man asks.

“Nothing.” Sungwon replies. 

“Nothing? There’s an operation going on.”

“What?” The three react in unison. “What operation?”

Chief scans their faces. “There was an arrest warrant for Nabi’s head, Lee Seonwoong. It is being carried out right now after the discovery of his whereabouts.”

“What? How–,” Sungwon is in the midst of voicing his shock when the quick movements coming from Yongguk and Youngjae causes him to do the same.

Youngjae grabs his jacket from the back of his seat before rushing towards the exit with Yongguk on his heels. 

“I can’t believe you, Chief!” Sungwon snaps before also following.  

***

“Don’t forget anything!” 

“Don’t forget Hercules!” 

Haru runs down the stairs to meet up with everyone in the living room. The worst thing that could have ever happen has happened. Besides the fact that she was roughly awaken this morning after not sleeping much last night and their current secret spot is no longer a secret. She grabs onto Hercules’ collar and pulls him along. 

“The back way.” Gunwoo leads the group of them.  

“We should split up.” Seyong suggests. “We’ll take boss and Miss Haru–,”

“I’ll just take Barom with me.” There is something she has to figure out. “We’ll also lead the cops away.”

“Then, I’m coming too.” Jongup says. 

“Then, who’s going to take the dog?” Haru asks and she could see the annoyance on Jongup’s face. 

“Seyong will take perfect care of him.” Barom tries his best to settle the issue. 

Her dad passes by and pats her shoulder. “When we find somewhere safe, we’ll contact you three.”

In agreement, they split and run into the available cars just as the cops pull up onto the street. They were one step late. The sound of wheels and the smell of burning rubber fills the air as the four cars peel off to avoid capture. 

“Haru.”

She already knew what Jongup was going to say. “It wasn’t them.”

“Why are you defending them even now?”

“I’m not.” She shoots back. There was no way Yongguk would have done that and Sungwon is more of a follower than to go off to do something on his own. And Youngjae… he wouldn’t do this and lose credit for a big case. 

“Let’s focus on leading the cops away first.” Barom suggests.

“I didn’t mean it but sure.” She responds.

“What are you planning now?” Jongup was so close to groaning out loud.

“I want to know how the cops found out.”

“I just told you how.” 

“I’m telling you that you’re wrong.” She dips her hand into her pocket at the feeling of her phone vibrating. Without a moment to waste, she answers the call. “I want an explanation.”

“Cops are on their way.”

“It’s a little too late for a warning, Yongguk.”

“Were you able to get away?”

“We’re trying to.”

“Youngjae is asking to meet up. I’ll text you the location.”

Ending the call, Haru waits for the text. “We need to make a stop somewhere.”

Jongup didn’t like the idea but with Haru’s insistence, he played along anyhow. 

***

Youngjae walks up to the driver’s window and raps his knuckles against the glass. “What are you guys doing in there?”

Jongup rolls down his window first before Haru does so. She peers over the crack. “You want us dead, don’t you?” Why would he request to meet a block over from Sugo street after knowing the current situation?

“Don’t you know that people always overlook the most obvious spot?” He questions. 

“So, what happened? And make it sound believable for them.” She nods towards the two front seats holding Barom and Jongup. 

“Congressman Sungjin was the one who requested the operation.”

That sleazeball? “That sounds believable.”

“How, Haru?” Jongup shot back. 

“You don’t see it, do you?” She questions him. “He found more worth in Geomi.”

“Contact Mogi.” Jongup looks over to Barom, who steps away to do as told. 

Suddenly, the sound of wheels screeching captures their attention for a moment. The shiny black Mercedes drive off down the road. Jongup squints his eyes to make out if the features would match up with his memory. 

“That looks like Insoo’s car.” He comments before pulling out his own phone to call the said person.

“Why would he suddenly drive away?” Haru asks.

“He knows they’re cops.” Jongup responds before focusing back on the call. Maybe he was scared off. 

“It’s Kang Insoo’s car.” Youngjae confirms. 

“How do you know?” Jongup questions, still waiting for the said person to pick up his call.

“That’s his license plate.”

“Again, how do you know?”

“Haru asked us to look into Kang Insoo and Chae Jinseok– thanks for giving us the wrong name.”

That’s the last thing to worry about right now. Haru shuts her eyes, bracing herself for the trouble she’ll get into thanks to the reveal. She wished Youngjae would be more aware sometimes. 

“Haru?” Jongup looks toward her. He shuts off his phone when his third call goes unanswered.

“You may not be suspicious of him but I am.”

“There’s a good possibility that Kang Insoo is the mole

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter