Chapter 4

Destiny's Way

Chapter 4

Exams

3 years later

Over the years that had passed, Aaron and Gui barely said a word to each other. Soon it was the final exams, which would decide which university’s that they would all go to.

Everyone didn’t care about love for the moment, but instead studied all the time. Gui was heartbroken still from 3 years ago, upset that she had lost a good friend, over love. She felt so stupid after that day, but it had already happened, and she knew she couldn’t change destiny.

Everyone had their own goals, own ambitions, to get into the courses they wanted to do. Gui wanted to go to Taipei university. A lot of people did, as it was the best in Taiwan. Others wanted to get scholarships to go overseas, like Selina.

So the students did their exams, and continued studying. Gui thought the exams weren’t that hard, but she also had a gut wrenching feeling that she didn’t do so well in some subjects.

Finally, came the day of the very last exams. Gui walked up the stairs that led to the gymnasium with Selina, Ella and Hebe. They were all talking and were all anxious at the same time.

“No, I’m going fail badly. If only I was a genius,” said Gui.

“You’re smart,” said Ella.

“Come on guys, todays the last day of exams. After today, we’re free. So just chill,” said Selina, calmly.

“Yes, listen to Selina,” said Hebe, who ran ahead, followed by Ella and Selina. Gui continued walking slowly. She revised all her facts in her head, and lipped them over and over again. Then she ran and tried to catch up to Hebe, Ella and Selina. Halfway running there, a rock popped out of nowhere. Gui tried dodging it, but failed. In a second, she felt herself falling to the ground. Suddenly, a pair of big muscly hands caught her.

“Aaron,” thought Gui in her head, but when Gui looked up, she saw someone else. She realised it was Calvin Chen, Aaron’s best friend. Gui’s heart sank.

Gui quickly got her balance again and stood up, rushing out of Calvin’s hands.

“Uhh…thanks,” she said kindly.

Calvin laughed.

“It’s ok, I remember Aaron telling me a long time ago that you were very clumsy,” said Calvin, grinning.
Gui started blushing. Aaron had mentioned her in front of his head. Gui felt special, but then she came to her senses and realised it was a long time ago when he said that. She sighed.

“Well thanks again, I better go,” said Gui, then continued running to where Hebe, Ella and Selina were staring at what just happened. They giggled.

“Hey Gui, you okay,” said Selina, trying to sound concerned.

“Do not mention what just happened to anyone,” she said, humiliated.

“Everyone saw, so we can’t exactly mention it to anyone now can we,” said Ella.

Gui walked passed them and lined up to go into the gymnasium. Her friends followed.

Everyone entered finally and Gui went to her allocated seat and sat down. She looked around, and saw Aaron. He was fiddling with his pencil. Then she glanced around and saw Calvin staring at her.

“How creepy,” thought Gui in her head, but she smiled back anyways.

Eventually, the exams started. Gui opened her test paper and whizzed through it, though also making sure it was correct.

“Well that wasn’t so hard,” she thought, and then started checking her answers.

After an hour, the teachers called pen’s down. Gui sighed, but felt happy with herself.

After they had gone outside, Gui and Ella talked non-stop about the test. Selina just sat there and smiled, along with Hebe.

“You guys ok?” asked Ella, freaked out by their faces.
Selina sighed, but didn’t say anything, neither did Hebe.

“Leave them be,” said Gui.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was an anxious wait for everyone, over the weeks waiting for the exam results to come back, though they were all patient.

One night, Gui was on her computer, about to go to sleep when an email arrived. She stared at it. She knew straight away it was her results.

Gui was too afraid to open it, what if she had failed.

“I have to read it anyhow, doesn’t matter if I fail,” said Gui, trying to stay calm. With that click, the email opened.

Gui read through it.

She stared, again. No emotions on her face. In fact, she started crying. Then she screamed. Then she went crazy and started laughing.

“Gui Gui, are you ok?” asked her mum from outside in the living room.

Gui didn’t reply. She was still too shocked.

“Oh, I think I’m going to faint mum,” shouted Gui, after a minute of silence.

“WHAT,” screamed her mum, then she went to Gui’s room and tried to see what she was up to.

Her mum went in and saw the email, read it and hugged Gui.

“You made it. I’m so happy for you, you made it,” said her mum, in surprise and excitement at the same time.

After every single family member saw the email and congratulated Gui, she settled down, and lay on her bed. She was so happy that she got into Taipei University, but there was still some kind of anxious feeling in her.

“What did Aaron get I wonder,” thought Gui. She couldn’t help herself thinking about Aaron.

“Oh wells, I will know tomorrow,” said Gui. Then she happily went to sleep.

The next morning, Gui ran quickly to school, anxious to see what her friends got. Sadly, she went to school a bit early, and not many people were at school. Then she saw Aaron, sitting down next to the basketball courts reading a book. Gui had an urge to go up to him and asked what he got, but she was too afraid. So she sat down and waited for Ella, Selina and Hebe to arrive.

Ella and Selina were skipping happily into the school. Gui saw them the first moment they entered, and ran to them.

“What did you guys get, what did you get?” asked Gui repeatedly.

“Calm down Gui,” said Selina, but didn’t really answer the question.

“Yes Gui, but where did you get into,” said Ella.

“Taipei University,” said Gui quietly.

“Ella got into there as well,” said Selina happily.

Gui screamed happily.

“Really, yay,” she shouted.

“Be more quiet Gui,” said Selina happily.

Then came Hebe.

“HEBE, WHAT DID YOU GET INTO,” shouted Gui, not really listening to Selina.

Hebe ran to them.

“Umm, I got into Taipei,” said Hebe.

Gui screamed again. Selina sighed and laughed, and Ella did the same.

They all settled down after Gui finished screaming.

“Hey Selina, you didn’t tell me what you got yet,” said Gui.

“Oh, I’m going overseas. I got a scholarship,” said Selina, as if it was an ordinary thing.

Then Gui screamed again.

Everyone else sighed.

“Gui, calm down,” said Ella.

“SELINA REN, SERIOUSLY,” said Gui.

Then along came Calvin, and did the asking. He had also got into Taipei.

Gui’s heart sank a little. She liked Calvin, but she found him very creepy at times.

“Oh, did you know, Aaron’s going to Taipei as well,” said Calvin, then walked to Aaron.

Gui’s heart started thumping fast again.

“Aaron’s going to Taipei,” thought Gui in her head.

It was a cheerful day of asking and answering.
That afternoon, Gui walked slowly home, slower than what she usually did.

Then out of nowhere appeared Aaron.

He started walking next to her. Gui blushed and stared at him.

“Umm…hi,” she said.

“Hey,” said Aaron.

There was an awkward silence.

“So, I hear you got into Taipei as well,” said Aaron, breaking the silence.

‘Yes,” said Gui.

Aaron brought up a random subject and they started talking.

Gui was as happy as ever.

“It’s just like the old times again,” thought Gui in her head, and she smiled.