Chapter 14

Destiny's Way

Chapter 14

Aaron

After a long boring but interesting holiday, they were all back at uni, studying all over again. Gui was standing where she had been standing one year ago, the same spot, looking at the beautiful campus, the beautiful lake and cool basketball courts, so many rooms. Secretly, Gui was expecting Aaron to appear beside with that charming fringe of his and his sparkly eyes. She waited there for 10 minutes, and Hebe and genie appeared. They were talking on about Selina, a topic which Gui usually participated in, but she kept silent.

“What’s wrong Gui?” asked Genie.

“Nothing,” she muttered, and continued standing there. Genie and Hebe stood with her there doing nothing. Later, Ella, Chun, Calvin and Jiro appeared, but there was still no sign of Aaron. Where was he? He always seemed to be running late these days.

Everyone were worrying even Calvin, who acted all chill, but after all those years of friendship, he had to worry a little. The day went on, no sign of Aaron, and Gui was half missing his charming face and fringe.

Days past, weeks passed, but still no sign of Aaron. Sometimes Genie, Jiro and Hebe would stand in one corner chatting and would never disclose what they were talking about.

“we’ve got to tell Gui, Jiro, she has to know,” said Genie.

“Eh, we promised Aaron not to, so we can’t,” said Jiro.

“I think we should tell Calvin and Ella and Chun then, if not Gui,” suggested Hebe.

“Yeh, but then Gui’ll find out easily,” stated Jiro.

“She’s got to find out one day, let’s just tell them,” said Hebe.

So Jiro, Hebe and Genie told the others except for Gui what happened, and they seemed all depressed all of a sudden, Gui not knowing why. She knew something was on, something about Aaron, and she knew she had to find out herself.

The day she was going to visit Aaron’s house was the day destiny played its part again.

“Hey Gui Gui,” said Calvin softly.

Gui lifter her eyebrows, Calvin never called her Gui Gui unless it was something uber serious.

“Uhh, about this, I don’t know if you like me or not, but I hope you at least did, but now I know you like Aaron and Aaron likes you, so I’m like uhh…’allowing’ you guys to be together,” said Calvin.

“So you’re like breaking up with me?” asked Gui quietly.

“Yeh…sorta,” said Calvin. Gui didn’t know what to do. She knew Calvin liked her so much, and then suddenly, he tells her that he wants her to be with Aaron. Why? Then something popped into Gui’s head. This was something to do with Aaron. She knew it.

“What’s wrong with Aaron?” she asked innocently.

“Can’t tell you Gui, I’m sorry. Just go and be with Aaron. I’m fine,” said Calvin quickly, and it looked like he was about to cry.

“If I even knew where Aaron was…Please tell me Calvin,” begged Gui, but Calvin shook his head and walked off, eyes filling with tears. Gui felt worried, depressed, sad. She didn’t know what to do. What was happening? What was wrong with Aaron? Why would Calvin just suddenly break up with her?

All was to be discovered that afternoon when Gui caught a bus to Aaron’s house. His parents were home, she hadn’t seen them for a long time, and they were sort of sniffing and crying.

“Oh hello Gui Gui, Haven’t seen you forever,” said Aaron’s mum.

“Mrs Yan, what’s wrong with Aaron?” asked Gui.

“Oh…You don’t know?” stated Mrs Yan shocked.

“No, what’s wrong?” asked Gui, hoping that it wasn’t anything too bad.

Mrs Yan pulled out a piece of paper with an address of a hospital on it. Gui stared at her.

“He’s in the hospital suffering from a terrible illness, and he needs an operation but there’s only 30 percent chance of surviving. Aaron says he doesn’t want to do it. We came home for a rest but we’ll be back later. I hope you can try convincing him Gui Gui,” said Aaron’s mum, and she started crying again.

Gui ran away from the house, caught the nearest taxi, and went to the hospital on the address. She ran into the room, finding Calvin standing there will him, and her friends surrounding him. They all knew before her? Thought Gui.
Hebe turned around and saw Gui, and whispered to the others. Gui’s eyes were filled with tears. She found out why, and she wished that she never knew.

“Aaron Yan, you didn’t tell me? Why?” demanded Gui in a depressed tone.

Aaron didn’t say anything, and he just looked her right in the eyes. Those sparkly eyes he had weren’t there anymore, now it was just plain eyes, with no emotion, no feeling towards them.

“He didn’t want you to worry,” said Ella, hugging Gui.

“And you guys are allowed to worry?” asked Gui, about to cry.

“Do the operation Aaron. You have a chance of surviving if you do it, but if you just wait, you’ll die in pain, in sorrow,” said Gui.

Aaron still said nothing.

“We’ve tried a million times Gui,” said Hebe gently.

Aaron looked at Gui, his eyes still on her.

He then grabbed her hand and held it tight. The others left them alone in peace, Calvin ignoring everything else and just letting his best friend get what he wanted.

“If I don’t do the operation, I’ll die. If I do the operation, I’ll still die,” whispered Aaron.

Gui released her tears. “If you do the operation, you will have a chance of surviving. At least there’s a chance, believe in that little spark of light Aaron,” said Gui quietly back at him.

“Gui Gui, will you be my girlfriend and promise to marry me if I survive the operation?” asked Aaron.

Gui stared at him. Finally he had said it. Finally, after all these years, he had sad what he had wanted to say. And now he was on the verge of death.

Gui forced a little smile onto her cute face.

“Of course,” she said and Aaron had the shininess back in his eyes again.