03 A

To Believe, or Not to Believe

"When I feel someone looking at me
I turn around and you're always there (hey girl)
Even when you turn your head and look far away
Even when you pretend not to be surprised
I know why you keep staying around me
"
~A : Got7


"And you're the only person that can get me back"

Hana looked up at Jisoo in disbelief. 

"Me? What's so special about me? I'm just the school's bookworm! I mean, I literally have NO social status in our school, and I don't do anything that's even considered SPECIAL."

Hana was confrizzled. No, confrizzled wouldn't even fit this situation. She was FRAZZLED BEYOND CONFRIZZLEMENT. She wasn't even the teensiest bit special, so why would she be the one person who was able to bring such an important character like Jisoo, back into a book!?!?! AND HOW DID HE EVEN GET OUT? PORTALS DON'T EXIST IN REAL LIFE.

"You okay? You're kinda shouting..." Jisoo said patting the frazzled child on the back.

"Eh? Oh...yeah...sorry." Hana's cheeks flushed in embarassment as she realized that her thoughts had somehow channeled its way out her brain and through .

The two sat there awkwardly in silence as nurses flew back and forth through the hallways, tending to their patients. After awkwardly sitting in silence for around fifteen minutes, Jisoo broke the silence with an awkward cough. Hana sighed, disliking the entire awkwardness of this situation. I mean, this was HONG JISOO sitting in front of her. Shouldn't she be taking this time to get to know her favorite character better? Clearing , Hana looked over at Jisoo and accidentally made eye contact with him.

"So..." she said breaking the silence....awkwardly..."what do you normally like to do?"

Jisoo smiled at the effor she put into making a conversation with him. 

"I like going out with my friends, playing the guitar, singing and dancing, oh! And I also like eating...a LOT." he said laughing as he saw Hana's expression brighten at the mention of food. "Do you want to go out to eat right now? I'm pretty sure you're going to be discharged soon anyways."

Hana nodded enthusiastically as her nurse came in. 

"Are you Ms. Seol's guardian?" she asked as she stopped the IV in Hana's arm.

Hana and Jisoo shared a look before he lied. "Yes, is there a problem?"

The nurse smiled, shaking her head. "No. Hana is free to go. Have a great day!" 

Hana happily bounced out of the bed and ran out the door. Hospitals were death buildings--never would she voluntarily stay in one unless she absolutely 100% needed to. Turning around, she noticed that Jisoo wasn't behind her. She crept back to the room to find the nurse talking to him in a flirtatious manner. 

"OppaLet's go! I'm starving" Hana whined, purposely using the word oppa

Seeing the spark of jealousy in the nurse's eyes, Hana felt accomplished. As Jisoo hurriedly grabbed his coat with an uncomfortable expression on his face, the nurse grabbed the sleeve of his shirt.

"Call me" she whispered seductively slipping a slip of paper into his coat pocket.

Hana shuddered in disgust and grabbed Jisoo's hand, half dragging-half yanking him out the hospital room--away from the flirty nurse.

"She's disgusting. Don't call her." Hana scowled, snatching the slip of paper and ripping it up into little shreds.

Jisoo watched the younger with an amused expression playing on his face. He tilted his head to see her expression and almost burst out laughing when he saw her lower lip sticking out in a pouty frown. He wrapped his arms around her stomach and pulled her close to him.

"Awwww. Is my little bunny jealous?" he whispered in Hana's ears, sending shivers down her spine.

Hana tried to wriggle out of his grasp with no success.

"What are you doinggggg?" she whined, her face flushing in embarassment.

Jisoo just laughed as he watched her flustered face. He finally let her go from the hug as the elevator dinged, signalling that the two were at the main lobby. Hana shot out of the elevator and out the hospital entrance to get as far as possible from Jisoo. She liked Jisoo, but the hug had DEFINITELY went over her comfort zone.

Jisoo followed her out of the hospital and watched as she scampered away from him. A part of him regretted hugging her so suddenly like that, but at the same time he was happy that he had done so. He was finally getting out of his comfort zone. All his life he had been known as the "gentleman" type who never confessed to a girl even though he liked her...a LOT. That was why he had lost Jihye to Jeonghan. If Hana hadn't been there, he wouldn't have survived the car accident that supposedly killed him. 


Flashback

Jisoo walked out of NaMu's cafe, the most popular hang-out place of the school's quote-on-quote kingkas. What even was a kingka? Kingkas were the best-looking guys in the school and yes, Jisoo was one of them. In total, there were thirteen of them--all talented, all good-looking, all musical, and all extremely popular amongst the girls of the school. However, Jisoo was not like the rest of the boys who were obsessed with the school's queenkas--the counterpart of the kingkas. 

Jisoo was actually in love with the school's introverted bullying victim, Kim Jihye. Just the thought of her made Jisoo smile in happiness. His only problem was that he didn't know how to confess to her. Never in his whole life had he confessed to a girl. Ever. Just the thought of confessing to her made his heart beat uncontrollably and butterflies to erupt in his stomach. 

He had decided to confess to her today. Finally. Jisoo had always helped her out in complicated situations--he saved her from bullies, he saved her from almost getting run over by a truck, he saved her from getting a flowerpot dropped on her head, he saved her from being falsely accused of stealing, and most importantly, he saved her from taking her own life. He had found the girl ready to jump from the roof of the school one day after school. If he hadn't gotten lost in his music, the girl would have ended her life right there and then. She thought that nobody cared for her. She thought that nobody liked her. She thought that she had no friends and that everyone hated her. If it weren't for Jisoo, Jihye would have been dead seventeen months ago. 

Jisoo smiled, excited to be finally confessing to the love of his life. He turned the corner, ready to surprise her with his gift--her favorite box of chocolates, but was met by the most heart-crushing scene of his life. His best friend, Jeonghan, who had helped him build the confidence to confess to Jihye, was right there....confessing to Jihye himself. All this time, he had been telling Jeonghan to confess to the girl he loved, not realizing that it was Kim Jihye. Time froze as the box of chocolates dropped from Jisoo's hand. Tears sprung into his eyes as he saw Jihye nod and Jeonghan lean in to give her a kiss.

Turning around, Jisoo ran out the school doors and towards the street. Tears blinded his vision as he saw bright lights approaching him at a rapid pace. Hearing loud honking and people screaming, he looked towards the bright lights and felt himself going airborne. The physical pain he felt in his body was nothing compared to the pain he felt in his heart. People began crowding around him--some trying to help while others just took pictures and whispered to eachother, eyes wide open in shock. The world around him began to fade as he felt his head become light and faint. 

"Jisoo? Jisoo! JISOO!!!" 

There was the voice of the angel that had taken his heart. Jisoo tried to turn his head towards the sweet voice that called his name, but it was too late. The world turned a brilliant white and her voice faded away. 

Jisoo turned around and found himself face-to-face with a spiral staircase leading upwards. Upon reaching the top of the staircase, he met the man who would change the life that he knew, Mr. Han.

"Hong Jisoo, am I correct?" he asked smiling at the brown-haired boy.

Jisoo nodded, wondering who this man was. 

"You're probably wondering who I am. You can call me Mr. Han. Let's get to the point. If it weren't for Ms. Seol, you would be dead right now." he said matter-of-factly, shocking Jisoo.

"You can read this on your way to her world." he said handing him a file labeled Seol Hana. "You're probably wondering what I meant by world. Well, when you passed away in that tragic car accident, you entered a portal. This portal is where you are right now. Soon you'll be entering another portal to Ms. Seol's world. She saved you by reading the novel that you've been stuck in all of your life. Here's a copy of the novel. It's called The Seventeen Stars. It'll take a while for you to get there, so don't worry, you'll have enough time to read it all. Well, this is as far as I can take you. I have someone else that I have to go and bring. Good luck on your journey! Any questions that you have will be answered through that novel and that file!" Mr. Han said ushering Jisoo into a strange looking vehicle.

Waving, Mr. Han pressed a button on the side to close the vehicle's doors. Pressing another button, a seatbelt fastened across Jisoo's chest, and he was off on his way through the portal. Sighing, he opened the file to find a picture of Jihye....er.....Hana. Jihye looked identical to this Hana girl. Seeing the picture already began to pique Jisoo's interest, and he soon found himself lost in the file.

"Hana likes reading novels. Her current favorite book is The Seventeen Stars." he read aloud. 

He picked up the book next to him. "Huh. Looks like it's time to read!" 

Jisoo leaned back and began to read, surprised to see the story of his life...along with the story of every single one of his friends. His brows furrowed as he read the scene about his failed confession and the tragic car accident that took his life. He read the book from cover to cover, and was shocked by the ending of the novel. 

"So Jihye ends up marrying Jeonghan." he muttered, half depressed by the ending of the book. 

His friends would live a good life without him, but always keep him in their memories. They would never know that he survived the car accident and that he was on his way to another world. The vehicle came to a stop as it was time for Jisoo to move on. Stepping out of the vehicle, he climbed up the stairs towards the bright light that would take him to the next world.

Climbing through the portal, he found himself seated on a bed. The door in front of him opened, revealing Seol Hana and her friend, Song Hae In. Hana was in tears, but upon making eye-contact with Jisoo, her eyes widened and a shrill scream left . The two girls streaked out of the apartment and left Jisoo in confusion. Was she not expecting him? He stood up and followed the two girls across the hall.

"What's wrong Hana? Tell Oppa. Did someone try to hurt you and Hae In?" her older brother, Jungkook, asked as she buried her face into his chest.

The girl hugged her older brother before falling over in a dead faint. Jisoo rushed forward into the apartment.

"Hana!!!!" he held her in his arms as her eyes fluttered shut. Looking up terrified, he shouted. "Someone call 911!!! We need to get her to the hospital!"

Nobody moved--everyone was too shocked to comprehend what was going on.

"Aish!"

Picking the girl up in his arms, he ran out the door and down the emergency stairs of the apartment. Upon getting outside, he hailed a taxi.

"Ahjussi, take us to the nearest hospital." he looked at Hana's pale face. "And step on it!"

In no time, they arrived at the hospital. Quickly tossing the driver a ₩20,000 he picked Hana up and ran into the emergency center. The nurses recognizing that something was wrong, immediately acted and helped Jisoo transfer Hana on to a hospital bed. He watched as they quickly wheeled her away to a room to help her. Hopefully, she'd be okay... Jisoo sat down in the waiting area and clasped his hands together.

"Oh please, God....let her be alright...."