02 Adore U

To Believe, or Not to Believe

"I feel weird, I'm not talking as much.
My friends are all woried (these days)
My heart races only when I'm in front of you.
So I'm sorry about my clumsy actions."

~Seventeen : Adore U


Beep! Beep! Beep!

Hana groaned in annoyance. What in the world was that annoying noise that was so close to her ear? And why wouldn't it turn off? Sighing, Hana opened her heavy eyelids and sat up...or at least tried to. She was stopped before she could even put any effort into pushing herself up into a seated position. Hana looked up at the person who had stopped her with sleepy and confused eyes. The angelic face hadn't gone away. Maybe it was because she spent too much time reading The Seventeen Stars

"Lie down, Hana. The doctor said that you should rest. He said you went through some sort of shock, which is why you passed out at Hyun Mi's place." the stranger who, oddly enough, looked like Hong Jisoo from The Seventeen Stars

Nodding her head, Hana lay back down and gazed at the white ceiling without saying a word. Suddenly, she sat up causing her IV to yank out of her arm. Hana yowled in pain as the Jisoo look-alike panicked and ran to her side. Blood began to seep down her arm and Hana made the mistake of looking at the ugly gash that took the place of where the IV had once been. Her monitor began to beep loudly as doctors and nurses began to rush into her room. Hana began to hyperventilate but soon started to see things fade into darkness as a mask was put over her nose and mouth. She weakly tried to take it off, but lost the battle and fell unconcious seeing the Jisoo look-alike's face once again.


Hana woke up again, this time with a splitting headache and a throbbing arm. She closed her eyes and tried to focus on the face that slept peacefully next to her. A couple minutes later, she realized who it was and jolted forward in surprise, accidentally waking him up. 

"Oh thank GOD! You're finally awake!" 

Hana screamed. He was real. He wasn't in the book. He was ACTUALLY a REAL LIVE HUMAN BEAN. Hyun Mi ran into her room followed by Hee Jin and Hae In. Seeing Hana awake, they immediately ran towards her and pushed the boy away.

"Who. Is. He?" Hana asked panicking.

Hee Jin gave her a confused look. "Hana, he's your boyfriend...."

This time, it was Hana's turn to give Hee Jin a confused look. Hyun Mi, seeing the two's confusion, acted fast and began pushing the Jisoo look-alike towards the door.

"Sorry, Josh. We're going to need to talk to Hana alone. We'll call you back in." she said as he left the room.

Shutting the door behind him, the three girls gathered around Hana immediately. 

"Josh says that he's your boyfriend, are you saying that he isn't?" Hae In asked, her eyes wide in confusion.

"He seems to know everything about you too!" Hee Jin added.

After a moment of silence, Hyun Mi spoke up.

"Guys, doesn't he look a bit familiar though? I feel like I've seen his face is really familiar...as if we've seen him every day or something." 

The three girls looked at Hana for an explanation. 

"Did someone bring my bag? I need to show you guys something." she said faintly. 

The only reason why she knew how Hong Jisoo looked like was because of The Seventeen Stars. Not only was he on the front cover, but he was also in various illustrations scattered throughout the book. Hee Jin retrieved the mint-coloured backpack and brought it over to the hospital bed where Hana lay. Hana quickly grabbed her bag and began rummaging around inside it, looking for the book. At last, she succeeded and pulled the novel out. Pointing, she watched as her friends began to put two and two together, the gears in their brains slowly turning confusion into realization.

"OMG That must be why someone was screaming in the library yesterday!" Hee Jin shouted, remembering the shriek they had heard the day before.

"Wait, but if he's a fictional character, how did he come to life? And how does he know everything about you? AND most importantly, why does he claim to be your boyfriend?" Hyun Mi analyzed staring at the book's cover.

The four friends sat there, pondering about the mystical happenings that had taken place. Suddenly, the silence was broken with the sound of the doorknob turning. Four heads turned to face the door as "Josh" poked his head in.

"There are four girls who just came....they said that they're friends of yours?" he said opening the door to reveal Maerin, Seul Yi, Ye Rin and Bi Ah. 

The four girls ran over as "Josh" shut the door behind them. The girls immediately began to fill in the newcomers on their latest news. Seul Yi, being the sharp one, began to analyze the book's cover. 

"So this Josh kid says that he's your boyfriend, right? Do you think he could be using a fake name to hide the fact that he's Jisoo?" Seul Yi asked noticing a cartilage piercing on Jisoo's left ear.

"I don't know....he appeared after tteokbokki....I read that Jisoo died in a major car accident and then Hae In and I went to my apartment to get my stuff, and then he was sitting there in my room!" Hana said recalling the events that had taken place the night before.

"Why don't we call him in then. I think I have a way to find out if he's Jisoo or who he claims to be. You're sure you've never had a boyfriend before, right maknae?" Seul Yi asked stuffing the book back in to Hana's bag.

The youngest nodded her head enthusiastically as the girls smoothed out the covers on the hospital bed to look more presentable. Fixing Hana's hair, the girls quickly arranged the room to look a lot neater than it was before. After Ye Rin approved of the clean room, the girls invited Josh to come back in. Walking in, Josh immediately walked over to Hana's bedside. 

"You're okay, right? Nothing hurts?" Hana shook her head, happy to have someone so good looking be concerned for her.

"YO DONGSAENGGGG!!! I HEARD YOU GOT HURT!!!!!" a familiar loud voice sang as he entered the hospital room. 

By this time, the hospital room had reached its maximum capacity, but the teachers and nurses behind the station paid no attention as their patient slowly became harder and harder to see under the mix of people.The doors to her room flung open as Dong Woo and Jungkook pranced in to the room, drawing attention from all who were inside.

"Ujjujju*, uri aegi*" DongWoo cooed squeezing Hana's cheeks. "are you hurt manhi manhi*?" 

Hana scrunched her nose up in distaste as Dong Woo babied her. Jungkook pushed Josh over to the side to tend to his baby sister. 

"Dong Woo Hyung, stop it! She's not your baby!!!" he said pushing the older away and hugging her protectively.

Hana laughed as the two bickered over whose baby she was. The nurses, finally noticing that the number of guests had surpassed the alotted amount, came in and herded everyone out....well, ALMOST everyone. Hana was left alone with the one person she did not know how to talk to, Josh. Closing the door, Josh walked over to Hana's bedside again and sat down, grabbing her hand assuringly.

"Hana, I wasn't sure if you or your friends would believe me, so I lied saying that I'm your boyfriend....but the thing is...I'm not....I want to tell you the truth, but you're going to have a hard time accepting it..." Josh said locking eyes with the younger girl.

Shocked, but knowing that he was telling the truth, Hana nodded for him to continue.

"I'm....I'm not from this world....and my name isn't Josh...."

Hana's eyes widened as she realized what he was about to tell her. If it was what she thought it was, that would mean that the girls' theory was right. Josh was Jisoo from The Seventeen Stars! But, how would he know all those things about her? Josh took a deep breath before continuing his confession.

"My name is Hong Jisoo and I came out of the novel The Seventeen Stars after I was in a car accident. I'm not sure how this is possible, but I'm pretty sure I went through some sort of portal to get here..." Jisoo looked at Hana in the eye. "and you're the only person that can get me back"


Ujjujju (우쭈쭈) : basically equivalent to any sort of baby talk that people use to talk to babies

uri aegi (우리 애기) : our baby

manhi (많이) : a lot