Chapter 6

What is love?
 

 

 

Tiffany lets out a frustrated sigh as she tossed her phone to the other side of her bed. Taeyeon’s been avoiding her like the plague, and she’s upset because of it. The bright girl has questioned herself what it was that she said or did to the latter, but every time she thinks about it, she comes up empty-handed.

 

There’s a full moon right outside Tiffany’s window as she lays on her bed quietly. She’s not one to be fond of the dark, but she doesn’t have the energy to get up and turn on the lights. Her eyes look at the source of light that illuminates her room with an ever light glow.

 

Somehow, she finds it calm and warm, like when she stares into Taeyeon’s eyes.

 

She knows the meaning behind the way she feels whenever she’s around the other girl and has come to accept her feeling for Taeyeon.

 

“Taeyeon…” Her heart aches whenever she says the other girl's name.

 

A sudden ringing echoes through her entire house. Tiffany contemplates on whether or not she should go pick up the phone and see who it is that’s calling, but by the time she makes up her mind, the phone stops ringing.

 

A sigh leaves her lips and she shrugs it off. She didn’t feel like getting up.

 

Her phone then started to vibrate and she looked to see who it was.

 

It was Jessica.

 

Her thumb hovered over the answering icon, but she didn’t press it. She let it go straight to her voice mail.

 

Hwang felt odd. She doesn't know why she didn’t answer Jessica’s call. Usually, whenever the cold girl calls her, she doesn’t hesitate to answer the phone, but this time…. Maybe the way she feels about Taeyeon is unhealthy…

 

Her phone vibrates again, but she ignores it.

 

Tiffany decides that she wants to be alone. Alone to think….

 

So, without a second thought, she decides to turn off her phone and let the silence of her house evade her ears. That is until her house phone decides to ring again, and again, and again. Something unsettling sits in her stomach. Something is telling her to answer the phone, but something else is holding her down and stopping her from doing so.

 

She wants to know why they're calling her house…. but at the same time she doesn’t want to bother picking up the phone.

 

There’s a sudden banging on her door, and Tiffany recognizes the voice calling out to her. She decides that since Jessica’s made the effort to come to her house, then it must be something important.

 

“Tiffany! Please open the door!”

 

The bright girl starts to take wary steps to her best friend's voice. Jessica sounds very worried, and that worries her. When she opens the door, Jessica doesn’t hesitate to bring her in for a bone crushing hug.

 

Tiffany’s taken aback. “What’s wrong Jess?”

 

The other girl is in tears as she chokes on her sobs. “I’m so sorry Tiffany. I’m so sorry.”

 

The state her best friend was in worried her beyond belief, so she pushed the latter a bit away from her so that she can take a good look at her. “What’s wrong Jess? Who did this to you? Why are you sorry?”

 

Oh, when she finds out who did this to her best friend, they were going to get it from her. She was going to make the person regret ever hurting her best friend.

 

Tears ran down Jessica’s cheeks as she looked at her angered friend.

 

Jessica knew that Tiffany didn’t know, but someone had to break the news to her. Jessica wouldn’t let some stranger do it for her. She had to do it herself.

 

“Tiffany…” Jessica tried her best to stop her voice from cracking, “I-I need you to be strong.”

 

The way Jessica talked to her, scared the bright girl. “Promise me… Promise me you won’t do anything stupid.”

 

Tiffany looked at her best friend’s eyes feeling scared, “I-I promise,” She said without a thought.

 

“They called my parents…” Jessica tried her best to gather up her scrambled thoughts, “I’m sorry Tiffany, but your mom-” Her voice cracked when she thought about how this would break her best friend, “Your mom died in an accident.”