Chapter 48

What is love?

Tiffany couldn't help but giggle like a giddy high school girl as she walked up the stairs to her room.
 
….wait. She is a giddy high school girl that madly loves her girlfriend. 
 
A broad grin was plastered on her face as she recalls the kissing, the hugging, the cuddling… God, Taeyeon was such a cuddler and she loved that side of the girl, even though the girl thought she was clingy when she did it, but Tiffany reassured her that she didn’t think of Taeyeon as clingy when they cuddled. She loved the feeling of Taeyeon’s body on hers, couldn’t get enough of it. Even now, all she can think about is how much she misses Taeyeon’s warmth. 
 
She misses Taeyeon period.
 
Even though she just saw her like five minutes ago when they kissed––made out––goodbye. 
 
Clanks and rustling came from the kitchen as Tiffany lay in her room. Her dad was preparing dinner for later that evening. They haven’t talk yet, but Tiffany knows they will after dinner. A nervous rumble build’s in the bright girl’s stomach as she waits for her dad to finish up with dinner. She’s not all that hungry, having eaten plenty with Taeyeon at the beach. Recalling the events that took place at the beach, Tiffany pulls out her cell phone and texts a certain cold-eyed brunette. 
 
Hey :) –– Tiff
 
Hey:) What’s up? ––– Jess
 
Are you at your casa? ––– Tiff
 
Yeah.
You coming? –– Jess
 
After dinner. My dad wants to talk. ––– Tiff
 
Talk? ––– Jess
 
Idk. Tell you later though. –– Tiff
 
K. Bye. ––– Jess
 

The bright girl didn’t reply. Her dad calls her and says the food is ready. She doesn’t complain. Her nerves eat at her as she walks down stairs to the kitchen table where her dad has already served her a plate of hot food. They eat in silence, no one making small talk or what not. It’s nothing new to Tiffany. Her dad has never been a man of too many words, her mom on the other hand….
 
Her heart aches at the memory of her and her mother talking at the dinner table.
 
Mr. Hwang clears his throat, done with his food and noticed that the girl wasn’t all that hungry. “Are you done?” Tiffany looks up from her remains and weakly smiles. “Yeah, I’m not all that hungry.” He nods and then takes the plates to the dishwasher, emptying the leftovers. 
 
“How was the beach?”
 
Tiffany’s a little taken aback by the sudden question. Her dad’s not one to ask about these type of things. “Good. Um.. it was fun.”
 
Mr. Hwang hums as he continues to clean the kitchen. Tiffany watches him do so from the kitchen table, observing how her dad’s movements are all precise. “I ran into Mckenzie’s father today after the meeting.”
 
Tiffany nods, knowing he’s talking about a certain tan girl with green eyes from school. “Oh, you guys talked?” It’s nothing new to her, her dad runs into some of her friend's dads or moms. It’s happened before.
 
“Yeah. Business matters.” He out the last of the dishes away, “He also told me something about what he heard Mckenzie say to one of her friends.”
Patting his hands dry on one of the damp cloths, he sat down in front of Tiffany at the kitchen table. “Something about you.”
 
Tiffany’s stomach churns, she knows very well what it was that Mckenzie must have said that her dad overheard. She’s nervous, her hands are clammy and she knows that this is the moment she’s been dreading for a long time now, something she’s been wanting to hide from her dad until she was ready to tell him on her own. But now, now things have come to light and there’s no turning back on them. “What’d she say?” She plays dumb, knowing too well it won’t take her far, but she still hopes it's not the subject she’s been avoiding.
 
Mr. Hwang sighs, knowing his daughter is being stubborn and won’t talk about what he wants to hear the girl say from her own lips. “Taeyeon’s your girlfriend.” He decides to get straight to the point and stop beating around the bush.
 
It’s not a question. Tiffany knows that much as she feels swell when she nods, not trusting her voice.
 
“I see.”
 
There’s an awkward tension between the two of them, no one saying anything.
 
“Are you going to forbid me?” She knows what’s going through her dad’s mind. She knows very well that Taeyeon being her girlfriend does not sit right with him. She always knew there was a part of her dad that would never accept it. She knew this day would come, and she always hoped that it wouldn’t. She hoped that she could always keep it under the radar with Taeyeon and never bring it up with her dad.
 
“No.” It’s forced, but it still surprises the girl. “I– You’re my daughter.”
 
She knows what he meant by that. “And you expect me to bring home boys instead.”
 
Mr. Hwang rubs his temples, feeling frustrated. “This could be a 
phase Tiffany.”
 
“A phase? You don’t think I can love her?”
 
He shakes his head, not meaning to say it like that. “No–”
 
“I love her dad.” She raises her voice, feeling upset that her dad thinks that it’s not possible for a woman to love another woman, “I do. She’s the reason why I’m here, breathing. I’m sitting here because of her dad. She’s the reason why I’m both physically and mentally stable.”
 
“I didn’t mean for it to come out in such a way.”
 
“Then what did you mean dad?” Tiffany counters.
 
Tiffany’s upset and guarded at this point, Mr. Hwang knows this as he reaches over the table and takes her hands in his. “You’re my daughter, my only true family that is left. I don’t want to lose you.”
 
Tears swell up as Tiffany smiles. “I don’t want to lose you either dad.”
 
Hr. Hwang smiles. “I’m not going to forbid you from seeing or dating her.” He notices the relieved look on his daughter as her shoulders sag an inch, “I just– You’re going to have to give me some time. I’m still not very comfortable, but I’m willing to be open minded, for you.”
 
Happy tears fall as Tiffany beams at her dad, “I love you, daddy.”
 
He too smiles. “I love you too sweetheart.”
 
–––––
 
“So, what did your dad want to talk about?” Jessica asks once Tiffany settles herself on the lovesac in the room.
 
Tiffany, who’s playing with the small trinket around her neck, looks at her best friend who’s settled on the bed. “He found out about me and Tae.”
 
Jessica observed the girl for a moment, “He accepts the relationship?” Knowing Tiffany far too well that if her dad didn’t then the girl would have been upset and crying in her room.
 
Tiffany sighs, “Not really. He said that he needs time to get comfortable with the subject.”
 
Surprised eyebrows raise on the cold girl’s face, shocked that Mr. Hwang was lenient with the fact that his daughter is dating another girl. “Wow.”
 
“Right?” Tiffany’s still trying to digest what happened not too long ago too. “I thought he would transfer me schools or something. I just– He’s willing to accept it.” She smiles, “God, you don’t know how relieved I was when he said that he wouldn’t forbid me from dating her.”
 
Jessica weakly smiles, “I could only imagine.”
 
Tiffany hums as she picks up the trinket on her chest, “I told him I love her.”
 
The cold girl isn’t all that shocked by the statement, but her heart still aches at the sound of the words. “Do you?”
 
Tiffany smiles. “Yeah, I do.” She bites her bottom lip as she remembers the way Taeyeon kissed her in the car when she was dropped off at her house. 
 
“Oh, well, that’s good.” Jessica curses herself for sounding so off and awkward. She wills herself to snap out of it. “I still don’t understand what you see in that awkward turtle.”
 
“I told you already. She has her moments.”
 
“Yeah. I know that already.” Her moments with the awkward turtle has said enough, like in her room, or in the bathroom.
 
Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “Her eyes… Her eyes are like the moon.” Jessica, who snaps out of her little world she bubbled herself in, looks at her weirdly, “Her eyes are like the moon?” Tiffany glares at her best friend once she hears the mocking tone, and Jessica shuts .
 
Tiffany sighs as she runs a hand through her hair, “What I’m trying to say is, she’s like the moon, or at least her eyes are, and… and they’re always so calm.. and gentle” Her voice is soft as the memory of Taeyeon’s eyes surface, “And, well, the moon... she sees everyone, you know she sees everyone every day, but when she looks at you…” She bites her lower lip, “It’s like she only sees you…”
 
Jessica recalls the moment inside the bathroom, she remembers the way Taeyeon’s eyes looked at her, and she wills herself to push those thoughts away. Her best friend is with her for Pete's sake! Doing what she would normally would, she pretends to cringe at Tiffany’s words and starts to gag.
 
“Hey!” Tiffany glares at her and grabs a stuffed animal next to her, not thinking twice when she chucks it at her, “You .”
 
Jessica laughs. “I’m not sorry. You know I don’t like it when you go into super gushy girlfriend mode. It’s disgusting. Even more so when it involves a certain antisocial girlfriend.”
 
Tiffany rolls her eyes. “Speaking of my girlfriend.” She remembers exactly why she’s here, “Since when do you give gifts?”
 
Jessica freezes for a split second before she wills herself to relax and casually shrug, “I don’t know if you've noticed, but your girlfriend has the tiest luck. And it just so happened that I saw it and I thought, ‘eh, her luck's already ty. What’s the worst that can happen?’ Plus, you’ve been hounding me about being friends with her. I thought I’d be a nice friend and give her a present for her birthday. That’s all.”
 
Tiffany bought it. “Aw~~ Jess!!!” Jessica knew she sold the lie to Tiffany the moment Tiffany wrapped her arms around her in the most bone crushing hug she’s ever received from the bright girl. “You’re the best 
bestfriend a girl can have.”
 
“Yeah.” Jessica forces a smile as Tiffany beams at her.

––––

I already had bits and pieces of this chapter, so I was like "Why not?"

So, story recap... What to expect in future chapters:

– Taeny, of course.

– Jessica's birthday

–Spring break

–Prom

– Tiffany finding out about the brand on Taeyeon's torso and also why Taeyeon avoided her.

And I think that's pretty much it.... wow, so another 10+ chapters or so and it's over?

Wow. Okay....

Yeah, guys, this story is coming to an end.

So um... yeah, thanks for the comments and the upvotes! Very much appreciated and I'll see you guys next time!! Now, if you need me, I'm going to try and digest that this story is already coming to an end.