Chapter 20

What is love?

 

 

 

Tiffany pulls into the empty driveway of the Kims, which she finds weird. “Did your parents say that they wouldn’t be here?” She asks at the shorter girl who’s sporting the same confused expression.

 

Taeyeon checks her phone before replying to Tiffany’s question. “Well, they didn’t leave a message or anything.”

 

“Call them. I’m sure when you mom says, “We’ll make sure you get back by curfew for your medication.” means they should be home.”

 

An unsettling feeling builds within Taeyeon at Tiffany’s explanation. So, without a second thought, Taeyeon calls her mom, and, by the third ring, she picks up.

 

“Mom?”

 

“Oh, hon! I completely forgot to tell you. I’m presuming you're at the house?”

 

“Yes, I am.”

 

“Good. Make sure to take your medication. Your father and I will be home shortly after we settle some things.” Mrs. Kim sounds distracted to Taeyeon.

 

“Some things? Mom, where are you?”

 

“We’re at the station. Detective Ronald called us.”

 

“At the police station? Why?” Taeyeon pressed on.

 

“I– Hon, we’ll talk later okay? Detective Ronald just called us in. Make sure to take your medication. Bye! I love you!”

 

Taeyeon couldn’t say anything because Mrs. Kim immediately ended the call. With a frustrated sigh, Taeyeon locks her screen.

 

“They’re at the police station?” Tiffany, who heard the entire conversation, asks.

 

Taeyeon nods. “Yeah.”

 

Tiffany bites her inner lip as she wonders why it is that the detective could have called them. “Did they arrest him already?” She accidently voices her thoughts, and by the time she realizes that she did so, Taeyeon is already looking at her.

 

“Arrest him?” Taeyeon says almost accusingly.

 

“I–” Tiffany curses herself. She’s an idiot. How could she open her big mouth and let it slip? Little to Taeyeon’s knowledge, her parents and Tiffany decided to keep certain important information about them knowing who it was that attacked her. Tiffany spoke with both Mr. and Mrs. Kim, agreeing that it would be for the best if Taeyeon didn’t know that the police were tracking Danny down.

 

“Who is ‘him’, Tiffany.” Taeyeon sounds angry, and Tiffany can’t help but wince.

 

“Okay, please don’t get upset.”

 

Taeyeon dryly laughs.

 

“Tae.”

 

Taeyeon lets out a frustrated sigh. “Just answer the question, Tiffany.”

 

“No, promise me you won’t get upset and do something stupid.” Tiffany persisted.

 

Taeyeon doesn’t say anything. Her teeth grind against one another as she feels her anger boil. “Fine! I promise! Now,” A sigh escapes Taeyeon’s lips,” Who is he?”

 

Tiffany stays silent for a moment, chewing on her bottom lip until she musters up the courage to talk. “I-He’s…. Okay. So, there were rumors going around the school.” Tiffany watches Taeyeon as she defeatedly leans back onto the passenger seat.

 

“About me…” Taeyeon’s voice almost comes out as a whisper.

 

“About a girl that got stabbed.” Tiffany corrects her, “I so happened to connect the dots with Jessica, but you don’t have to worry about her. She promised she wouldn’t tell a soul.”

 

A sarcastic laugh escapes Taeyeon, “That makes me feel better.” Who better to hold her secret than the girl who started this mess.

 

Tiffany ignores her and continues to speak, “ There are speculations that it might be you, but I cut them all off after your mom told me that you guys were supposedly in Boston to visit your grandparents.”

 

“You still haven’t answered my question.” Taeyeon cuts her off.

 

“I– We….” Tiffany lets out a deep breath after she keeps on stumbling on her words. “It wasn’t hard to know who did it.” She watched as Taeyeon’s eyebrows drew together, “I… told your parents it was loud mouth Danny.” Taeyeon’s eyes almost bolted out of her eye sockets. “You told them what?!”

 

Tiffany felt the need to defend herself after witnessing Taeyeon’s angered look on her face. “I had to!”

 

“No, you didn’t!!” Taeyeon’s frantic. Her eyes are burning as she searches for the door handle. “You idiot!” Tiffany’s quick to put the lock on the doors so that Taeyeon doesn’t escape out of them. “Take the lock off Tiffany!” Tiffany watches as Taeyeon’s desperately trying to open the door, banging on the window as she tries to get out. She watches the trembling Taeyeon as tiny whimpers leave . “You don’t understand….”

 

Tiffany can’t help look at the defeated Taeyeon. “Tae..” Just as she’s about to settle a hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder, Taeyeon yells, “No!” Taeyeon’s hurt. She feels so betrayed. “ You don’t get it do you?!” So scared. “He’s going to think I talked. He’s.... He’s..” Just thinking about what Danny will do to her frightens the living hell out of Taeyeon.

 

“He won’t do anything Tae. He won’t be able to hurt you. I promise.” Tiffany gets a hold of Taeyeon and brings the heretical girl into her arms. “I’m sure they already caught him. I mean, why else would they call your parents.” Taeyeon doesn’t answer, she sobs into Tiffany’s sweater, scared out of her mind.

 

From that point on, Tiffany swears she’ll do everything she can to help the smaller girl get through this.