Chapter 2

What is love?

I may be busy the next few days with well a Wedding I have to attend, and some mid-terms I have, so I decided to release this today and not have you wait until next Monday. Enjoy!

 

––––

 

Today, about a week after the first assignment, Taeyeon and Tiffany were meeting at Taeyeon’s house in order to start on their car. They had already met up to buy the materials needed for the car, and Taeyeon insisted that she already had most of the tools they would need.

 

All they really needed was the base of the car, a solar panel, a control for the car, and the wheels.

 

Tiffany felt a little nervous when she got to Taeyeon’s house. It was nothing extravagant. The house was a two-story house with a green lawn. It looked like any other normal house around the neighborhood, but Tiffany knew very well not to judge a book by its cover.

 

“Oh, you must be Taeyeon’s classmate. I’m Taeyeon’s mother. It’s nice to meet you.” Hwang was a little taken aback as she shook the older woman’s hand and introduced herself. “That’s a lovely name. Please, come in. I’ll call Taeyeon for you.” Mrs. Kim led Tiffany to her living room and went about calling Taeyeon.

 

The loud girl was seriously weirded out. She didn’t expect Taeyeon’s house to look so… well normal. It got her wondering… where did it go wrong? Why is Taeyeon the way she is? Her mother seemed polite and easy-going.

 

“You’re fifteen minutes late. No matter, follow me. Everything is set in the basement.” Taeyeon said as she walked down the stairs from the second floor and to the door that led down to the basement. Tiffany followed and felt a little scared as they walked down the dimly lit and creepy stairs. She felt like she was in a horror movie, and it didn’t help that Taeyeon staggered on being oblivious of her predicament.

 

“My dad likes to build stuff every once in a while down here, so don’t touch anything unless I tell you so.”

 

The basement was the contrast to the hallway down the stairs. There was light coming from all directions as Tiffany witnessed the variety of machines she never thought every existed. It amazed her.

 

“What does your dad do?” She asked as she looked around, intrigued by the gadgets already built.

 

“He’s a professor at UCLA.” Taeyeon paid no mind to Tiffany as she grabbed some materials from a cabin.

 

“Engineering?”

 

“Minored in it, but majored in Physics.”

 

And then it dawned on Tiffany. She was one lucky girl. Getting that ‘A’ for physics class didn’t seem anywhere near impossible for her anymore, not when she had the daughter of a physicist right before her. With Taeyeon giving a helping hand, Tiffany was thankful that her G.P.A. wouldn't drop from that perfect 4.0 she's been able to maintain.

 

“Hon! Do you or Tiffany want some snacks and drinks as you work?” The two girls stopped what they were doing and looked at each other.

 

“Are you thirsty?” Taeyeon asked, and Tiffany timidly shrugged her shoulders. “Sure!”

 

And with that, the two girls continued to do whatever it was they were supposed to do. Taeyeon telling Tiffany what to do, and Tiffany soaking in everything that she learned from the other girl.

 

Taeyeon was quite impressed with Tiffany’s ability to learn quickly. She didn't have to repeat herself twice whenever they worked together and there were times when she didn't even have to tell Tiffany to get some tool or gadget because Tiffany was already on it.

 

“I made sandwich bites.” They both stopped whatever it was they were doing once they heard Mrs. Kim’s voice.

 

“Thanks, Mom,” Taeyeon said once she registered what was happening, and Tiffany followed. Mrs. Kim made small talk with the bright girl, much to Taeyeon’s annoyance. The quiet girl just wanted to get on with their project.

 

“Oh, that reminds me. Hon, I’ll be out for the rest of the night. Don’t wait up. And your father said he wouldn’t be home until tomorrow. Something about a meeting in San Diego?”

 

“Ok.” Taeyeon didn’t care much. It’s happened before. She doesn’t mind spending time alone in their house. Their house is secured and the neighborhood is quiet, just like her.

 

“Alright! Love you, Hon! It was nice meeting you, Tiffany.”

 

Taeyeon stayed quiet and nodded as Tiffany expressed her gratitude.

 

“Bye Girls!” And with that, Mrs. Kim left the two young girls alone in the house.

 

Taeyeon got back to work, and Tiffany looked at Taeyeon weirdly. She knew Taeyeon was quiet, but she at least expected her to be a bit more open with her mom. Tiffany’s mom was like her best friend whenever she needed to talk, and they always expressed their love for one another.....

 

Maybe she was just thinking too much.

 

Maybe Taeyeon’s just shy to say it back when there're others around her….