Chapter 16

What is love?

Tiffany looked at the doors and then at her white knuckles, contemplating on whether or not should she get out of the car and walk through the doors to the hospital.

 

‘You’re here already. Just go inside.’

 

She felt nostalgic. The last time she came to a hospital wasn’t a happy one. Her engine died as she pushed the power button and her driving wheel rose as she did so. With one deep breath, Tiffany reached for the door handle and opened the driver’s door. She felt small looking at the tall hospital and automatically missed the warmth her car provided her. Clutching her denim jacket closer, Tiffany took her first steps to the front doors. She felt anxious to get inside and see Taeyeon.

 

As Tiffany stepped foot inside, her cell phone rang and she ran her hand through her purse to see who was calling. Her hand automatically put the phone back in once she saw Jessica’s name. The other girl has been getting on her last nerve. According to Jessica, she shouldn’t even be here.

 

Tiffany was greeted by the woman at the reception and she asked where Taeyeon was located. The woman asked for her to sign in and show her identification card before giving her a visitor's tag. Taeyeon was on the third level in room 324. Her feet quickly took her to the elevator once she clipped on the visitor's tag.

 

Her leg shook ever so slightly as she waited with another woman inside the elevator. She’s nervous beyond belief. She doesn’t know what to expect. Are Taeyeon’s parents even inside?

 

‘What kind of question is that? Of course, they are.’

 

The elevator stopped and her stomach flipped. Tiffany briefly looked at the woman beside her and weakly smiled as she waited for the doors to open. It was awkward, but she was glad the doors finally opened. As she stepped foot outside, there was a sign in front of her directing her to where Taeyeon’s room was, to the left.

 

As she walked, her footsteps sounded heavy, and she came to another reception. There was an older lady behind the big desk talking on the phone.

 

“Tiffany? Is that you?”

 

Tiffany looked to where the familiar voice came from, and she was greeted by the site of Taeyeon’s dad walking to her. “Mr. Kim.” She was left in awe.

 

“Are you visiting someone?” Mr. Kim asked as he looked down at the younger girl. To his knowledge, Taeyeon’s incident is under private matters. Tiffany could be visiting someone else by chance.

 

“I–uh… yes. Is uhm… I’m here for Taeyeon.” Tiffany cursed herself for mumbling. She felt the room get warmer.

 

Mr. Kim was taken by surprise. His eyebrows went up in surprise. “Tiffany how– Did Taeyeon call you?”

 

Tiffany shook her head. “No.”

 

“Then how did you find out about Taeyeon?” Many thoughts were running through Mr. Kim’s mind.

 

Tiffany looked away from Mr. Kim’s gaze for a moment. “There are rumors going around the school about a girl getting stabbed. I sort of pieced the puzzle together..” Tiffany looked as Mr. Kim’s facial expression changed.

 

“Tiffany, does anyone else know it’s Taeyeon? Have you told anyone?” Mr. Kim pressed.

 

“No!” Tiffany clumsily stumbled back on her foot, “No. I– Everyone has their own speculations about who it might be. I just happened to be correct.” She had a feeling that it would be best to not let him know that Jessica also knew, or how almost everyone at her table thinks it might be Taeyeon.

 

Mr. Kim let out a sigh. “I’m sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. It’s just been difficult. Taeyeon’s not talking and the police are still trying to figure out who assaulted her.”

 

“They haven’t arrested him?” The words came out of Tiffany’s mouth without her knowing.

 

“Him?” Mr. Kim stepped closer to the younger girl, his hands resting on her shoulders, “Tiffany, do you know who may have done this to her?” Mr. Kim felt Tiffany tense under his hold, the girl looked at him as if contemplating on whether she should say anything at all.

 

With a sigh, Tiffany spoke. “There’s this boy that has been harassing Taeyeon. He got suspended about two weeks ago. His name is Daniel Rodriguez.” She felt as Mr. Kim gently squeezed her shoulders.

 

“Thank you.” Mr. Kim said as he let go of Tiffany and reached for his cell phone, “Thank you so much. I have to make a call and let Detective Ronald know.”

 

Tiffany stood there, watching Mr. Kim walk away from her.

 

“Oh!” Mr. Kim looked back at the young girl, “Taeyeon’s inside with her mom, just go inside.”


Tiffany didn’t get to thank the man. He had already turned the corner by the time she looked to where he had pointed. She walked to the door that was left ajar, and inside she saw a small form on a bed and Mrs. Kim looking at her daughter.