Chapter 3

What is love?

I may not have time to update either tomorrow or Monday so enjoy.

 

––––

 

It’s been a month since Tiffany’s first visit to Taeyeon’s house. During that time, they’ve only met on the weekends or sometimes after school. Their car was now looking like an actual car, and Taeyeon had to make some modifications to it.

 

Today, Sunday, Tiffany invited Taeyeon for some ice cream at Dairy Queen. Taeyeon, although she first rejected the bright girl, was slowly persuaded into Tiffany’s demands. Tiffany was bored out of her mind, and for some reason, she felt like having ice cream with the quiet girl.

 

Taeyeon ordered a mint chocolate chip blizzard and a strawberry sundae for Tiffany. Somehow, Tiffany had managed to forget her wallet and gave Taeyeon these big pleading eyes. The quiet girl still shivered at the thought of it.

 

“Here.” Taeyeon gave Tiffany her treat as she sat down in front of the girl.

 

“Thanks! I’ll pay you back tomorrow.”

 

Taeyeon let out a hum and savored her first bite. Creamy, minty, and chocolatey but not too much. “So, why’d you want to get ice cream with me?” She was a bit interested in knowing. Tiffany wasn’t the type of person to hang around people like her.

 

“I told you. I was bored out of my mind.”

 

The shorter girl of the two looked at the latter in disbelief. “You had no one else out of the entire school to bug about ice cream?”

 

Tiffany realized how serious Taeyeon’s voice had become. She’s been able to pick up some attributes about the petite girl. “You make it sound like I know everyone at school.”

 

A smirk formed on Taeyeon’s lips. “You have a hoard of friends. I’m surprised you’re not with any of them, especially your best friend. What’s her name again?”

 

Tiffany knew very well that Taeyeon knew her best friend Jessica’s name. The two made it very clear that they didn’t like each other when Tiffany had a question for Taeyeon, because she didn’t have Taeyeon’s number at the time, and the two met for the very first time. Although, she can say that it was mostly Jessica’s fault since she did kind of initiate the argument between them. “Jessica. And no, I couldn’t because she has a date.”

 

Taeyeon smugly smiled down onto her ice cream, and Tiffany knew that Taeyeon wanted to say something about Jessica but refrained from doing so. “I’m not close to everyone I talk to, Tae.” Tiffany used the nickname she heard Taeyeon’s dad call her. The said nickname was a weak spot for the other girl, so she used it to her advantage. “I’m telling you the truth. I was bored out of my mind, and for some reason, I just wanted to have ice cream with you. Do I have to have an ulterior reason?”

 

The petite girl let out a sigh in defeat. She mentally damned the latter for calling her by the nickname only her father says. It was always a weak point on her. Unfortunately, she was a ‘daddy’s little girl.’

 

“Whatever.” She managed to say through a mumble.

 

Hwang smiled brightly, showing off those eye smiles as she ate. She knew Taeyeon was just playing hard to get. Taeyeon always did.

 

Before Tiffany could try to converse with Taeyeon, a ringtone suddenly alarmed the two and they both looked at their phones.

 

“It’s my mom,” Taeyeon muttered under her breath and swiped the screen in order to see her mother inside the kitchen of her house.

 

“Taeyeon! Honey. Where are you?” Mrs. Kim was deeply worried when she didn’t find Taeyeon inside her house. She knew Taeyeon didn’t have many friends. (A/N: More like none actually.) Instead of responding, the younger Kim lifted her ice cream cup, and the older Kim started to swarm her with questions about who she was with.

 

Taeyeon could only put up with her mother so much. She quickly brought Tiffany into the picture, and Mrs. Kim instantly shut . “Oh! Tiffany, honey, I didn’t know you were with Taeyeon eating ice cream.”

 

Hwang sweetly smiled. “I’m sorry if I worried you, ma’am. I invited Taeyeon out for ice cream, and I guess I sort of rushed her to do so. I’m guessing she must have forgotten to tell you.”

 

Mrs. Kim was relieved to see Tiffany was so kind enough to invite her daughter out for ice cream. She always worried that Taeyeon would one day end up being lonely due to her introvert ways. Seeing Tiffany try to put in the extra effort, made her feel at ease. “You’re truly a lovely girl Tiffany. Taeyeon’s lucky to have you as a friend.”

 

A small blush sprinkled on Tiffany’s rosy cheeks when she heard Mrs. Kim’s praise. Taeyeon, on the other hand, was disturbed, and she didn’t know why.

 

“Well, I'll leave you two alone on your date! I love you, Hon! Take care Tiffany, and thanks again!” Taeyeon didn’t say anything, and Tiffany tried to mutter a, “You’re welcome.” but didn’t get the chance. The bright girl was stupefied as soon as Mrs. Kim mentioned the word, “date.”

 

It never occurred to Hwang that she was on a date with Kim. Actually, she never thought of Taeyeon as something more than a friend, so... why was she feeling so flustered at the thought of her being on a date with Taeyeon?