Chapter 38

What is love?

A metallic lead pencil hit a glass cup with a clink, thoughts of what Tiffany said circled in the short girl’s head as she sat on her desk chair, papers scattered in front of her with soft lead of numbers and equations. The computer screen in front of the girl displayed the now playing page of Pandora, today’s hits playing softly in the background. 

“Hun.”

“Please Taeyeon.”

“Hun?”

“If you won’t do this for me, then do it for yourself.”

“Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon snapped out of her thoughts and looked at the entrance of the door where her mother stood looking concerned.

“Hon, are you okay?”

“Huh?” Taeyeon barely managed to register her mom’s words before she cleared , “uh–yeah…. I’m fine.” She placed her pencil down. “I’m fine mom.” Concerned chocolate eyes met frazzled chocolate ones. “Did you need something?”

A pregnant pause settled between them as Mrs. Kim tried to read the atmosphere. Her daughter was behaving a little odd and her motherly instincts were calling her. Her hand lets go of the door frame she was leaning on and she walked further into the room, making herself comfortable on the corner of Taeyeon’s bed facing her daughter. “What were you thinking?”

Taeyeon knows her mom’s concerned about her, but she really doesn’t want to talk about it. “It’s really nothing mom...just school stuff.”

“And school stuff has you looking like a kicked puppy?”

Taeyeon barely managed a small smile. “I don’t look-” she lets a sigh escape, “I’m sorry mom. I just–really don’t want to talk about it.”

Mrs. Kim, unlike her daughter, smiles, understanding the situation at hand. “It’s okay. I just want you to know that if you ever need someone to talk to, I’m here.”

This time around, Taeyeon actually manages to smile. “Thanks, mom.”

“Well,” Smiling, Mrs. Kim joins her hands and stand, “Dinner’s ready. Wash up before you head down. Okay?” Taeyeon nods as her mom walks out the door. Her eyes settle on the papers before her, and she makes quick haste to clean the scattered papers on her desk.

David and Sarah are eating at the dinner table once Taeyeon shows up at her seat. The family eats and talk about how their day has passed, and Mrs. Kim settles on telling her family about her day at work. Taeyeon isn’t paying much attention. She nods here and there and then excuses herself from the table saying she still needs to finish up some homework. Mr. and Mrs. Kim look at each other all too knowingly and Mrs. Kim nods her head to up to the stairs at her husband. 

Taeyeon back lands on her bed as she lets out a deep sigh and tries to clear her head about what has happened the past few days, but she gets interrupted when someone knocks on her door. “It’s open.”

Mr. Kim pokes his head inside, “Hey, Tae. Mind if I come in?”

Taeyeon shakes her head as she sits up. “Come in.”

“How’s school?” David asks as he settles himself on where his daughter sat not too long ago in front of the desk. 

“I know Mom sent you Dad. I’m fine. Really.”

David chuckles deeply as his hand comes into contact with the back of his neck, knowing that his daughter’s way too smart for her own good sometimes. “Your mom just worries squirt. You know.”

Taeyeon’s eyebrows furrow at the nickname, “Da-ad. I’m not a kid anymore."

David smiles broadly. “I know. I know.” His hands go up, mocking a surrender pose. “I worry too, Tae. You know after…” His words die out, “No one’s bothering you. Are they?”

“No!” Taeyeon’s surprised that she answered so quickly, “ No, I just.. Me and Tiffany had a fight and she’s upset with me is all.”

“Oh.” David’s lips continue making the shape as his eyes lower to the ground. “You and Tiffany…”

“Yeah…” Taeyeon tenses, she starting to feel a little uncomfortable at the direction the conversation is heading towards. 

“Are you guys like…. Together?” David’s words are careful, or as careful as he can manage.

“What? No. Tiffany’s my friend, Dad.” Taeyeon says defensively, she doesn’t know why she’s acting like this. Then again, she hasn’t exactly told her dad about her feelings for the bright girl.

“Oh… I just thought-” David's’ still trying to connect the dots.

Taeyeon sighs. She should have known.”Did mom tell you?”

David squares his shoulders. “It may have slipped.”

Taeyeon laughs. “I’m not surprised.” Her mom tends to have a mouth on her.

“Does that mean that you don’t like boys?”

Taeyeon turns red, embarrassed. “Not really.” Her eyes cast down onto the floor.

“Oh, thank god!” Mr. Kim pretends to wipe some non-existing sweat off his forehead and his shoulders sag from the relief he’s experiencing. Taeyeon’s surprised with her dad’s reaction to the news. She would have at least thought that he would be somewhat embarrassed. “I’m not going to be a grandfather anytime soon!” He pumps his fist, causing Taeyeon to blush madly at his words and display of actions. 

“Dad!”

David pauses and looks at his daughter. “What? I’m just relieved I’m not going to have to threaten some boy to keep it in his pants. I’m too young to be a grandfather! Tiffany can stay whenever she wants by the way.”

Taeyeon thinks she might just die of embarrassment, “Dad no!! We’re not having this conversation!” She covers her ears.

Mr. Kim laughs at his daughter, thinking that she may have suffered enough. “Alright. Alright. Look, word of advice, if this fight has you this upset then just own up to it and sincerely apologize. Okay?” He ruffles her hair as he stands.

“Da-ad.” Taeyeon swats his hand away and he chuckles. 

“Night squirt,” David says casually as he walks out the door.

“Dad!” Taeyeon huffs. She knows her dad does it to get on her nerves. Shaking her head, Taeyeon stands and walks over to close the door. She lets her dad’s words sink in as she recalls Tiffany’s own words.

“It’s not me who you should be apologizing to.”

––––

It's been awhile, I know. Been busy, what can I say?

Next Chapter: Taeyeon owns up, Tiffany's happy, and Jessica's upset?

A lot might happen in the next chapter, we'll find out... Next time!

Keep being awesome and have a great day-errrr.. night guys!!