Chapter 35

Heartfelt Voice

"This is a playground, a place for kids to have fun not a place for a teacher to seduce her student," Baekhyun hissed, his chest heaving rapidly and his nostrils flaring wildly. "Do you understand, Ms. Youngest ing Teacher?"

Jiyeon pressed her lips together, laughing inwardly at his attempt to shame her. His words didn't affect her anyway. Jaehyun took her arm, pulling her behind him before he grabbed Baekhyun by the collar.

"Jiyeon never seduces me. You saw clearly that I was the one who kissed her first. Let me tell you, I quit school, I'm no longer her student," Jaehyun hissed then shouted in his face, "I'm already married to her, so you better stop accusing her of seducing me!" He released his collar, pushing him hard. Baekhyun stumbled backward, tripping over his own feet and landed hard on his with a curse. Jiyeon covered to stifle the gasp.

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes into a seething glare. Pointing his index finger towards Jiyeon, he snarled, "You quit school because of that youngest ing teacher? You're married to her? You really need professional help, ing boy! You seem to be hallucinating love—"

"Jaehyun, he won't stop trying to shame us, so let's not waste our time on him," Jiyeon interjected as she stepped forward and took his hand in hers. I'm sure what I'm going to say will burn you. She curled her upper lip at Baekhyun and holding Jaehyun's hand tightly, she continued, "He's jealous of you just like his brother."

"Park ing Jiyeon! How many times do I have to tell you not to mention my brother to me again?" Baekhyun's shriek echoed in the air. The vein in his temple swelled, pulsing with fury. His eyes burned like coals. That was the reaction she expected. As he sprang to his feet, Jiyeon ran as fast as she could, pulling Jaehyun along.

"Stop, don't run away, ing teacher!"

Glancing over her shoulder, she saw Baekhyun bump into a young woman and accidentally make her drop her phone. He and the woman seemed to get into an argument. They were pointing their index fingers in each other's faces. Jiyeon and Jaehyun kept running, still holding hands until they reached a bus stop. They sat on the bench, catching their breath.

Jaehyun took her hand and held it affectionately in his, saying, "Jiyeon, why we ran away from him? I don't fear him, and I can protect you." 

"I don't want you to fight with him." She smiled, ruffling his hair affectionately. "Honestly, I enjoy making him angry."

He returned her smile. In a flash, the smile on his face turned into a frown. "I wonder why he got so angry when we mentioned his brother," he muttered.

Jiyeon sighed. "He seems to dislike him. You know Baekwoon had been diagnosed with schizophrenia."

"His brother had been diagnosed with schizophrenia?" Jaehyun repeated disbelief plain in his voice.

"Yes, I knew about it from his aunt," Jiyeon said. "When I met him in my dreamland, I asked him about it. He told me that it was his fear of ghosts and dead people that led him to be diagnosed with schizophrenia. It broke my heart to know the reason why he took psychiatric drugs."

"What was the reason?"

"Accepting that label and taking psychiatric drugs was his way to get his father's attention. Too bad, those drugs gave him akathisia. Baekhyun and their father believed his adverse reaction was due to his underlying 'mental illness' and wanted to take him to a mental hospital. Their mother disagreed. To save her son from the dangers of psychiatric drugs, she asked Teacher Im's fiancé to take him to Japan," Jiyeon dropped her voice to a very quiet whisper. Her heart ached for Baekwoon. She felt a tear build and fall from her eye, the moisture trailing down her cheek.

"Baekwoon was so lucky to have a loving mother. Obviously, she has brain and wisdom. I agree with Taeyong, Baekhyun is considered a fool," Jaehyun said, his thumb reaching up and wiping a tear from her cheek. "The very fact that he didn't get that label debunks the genetic theory of schizophrenia, yet he still believes in the medical model. If something is truly genetics, then both twins will have it 100% of the time."

"Twin research provides no support to the genetic theory of schizophrenia. Looking for genetic markers in the way psychiatry does, is eugenics, pure and simple. If the 'treatment' is to lie, lock you up, gaslight you and 'seize' your brain with neuroleptics, nothing good can come from it," Jiyeon remarked. "Paul Eugene Bleuler who coined the term schizophrenia was a eugenicist psychiatrist who called for people, given this label by psychiatrists, to be sterilized."        

"Psychiatric eugenics neatly fits another definition: genocide. Psychiatry represents genocide for profit"—Jaehyun her hair gently—"the very term 'humanizing mental health care' shows that 'mental health' is dehumanizing to begin with. Being sad is not a disease, it's called being human. Emotions are not and never can be diseases. People make choices to do good things or bad things; it is not in their DNA. Epigenetics point out that we aren't slaves to our DNA. The DNA theory works well to brainwash us into believing that is why the wealthy are superior instead of usually being born into money and connections."

Jiyeon smiled, admiring him. After a moment of silence, she spoke, "The psychiatric antidepressant approach is a form of insanity. Neuroleptics truly are a chemical lobotomy; their mechanisms and effects are meaningfully similar to the surgical lobotomies. Psychiatry, Psychology, Religion, they are all con games. They all run on the premise that you have a moral defect. I'm sure you've studied the history of psychiatry for realizing how destructive the industry is and has been. What made you look into its history?"

"My father told me about the two biggest medical frauds, the cholesterol theory and the chemical imbalance theory," he replied. "Studying these theories made me completely distrust the medical profession."

"Those theories are indeed the biggest medical frauds that have killed countless people worldwide—" She cupped his face in her hands and continued in a gentle voice, "Jaehyun, my dad wants to meet you after teaching."  

"My father wants to meet you too."

"Really?"

Jaehyun gave her a nod. His expression was so tender, so lovely. "How about inviting your dad to my home? I want our fathers to meet each other."

"That's good idea." She smiled. "Let me lend your phone. I want to send a message to Dad."

"I don't bring my phone. Let's go to my home." Jaehyun stood up and took her hand, helping her to her feet. They stepped into the street and raised their arms, hailing a cab. The cab passed them like they were ghosts. They kept raising their arms in hopes of a cab stopping. One cab after another passed them by, some had passengers, but most were empty.

Jiyeon looked down at their bare feet, and her whole body shook as she laughed inwardly. "Jaehyun, don't waste your time hailing a cab. No cab will take us," she said as another empty cab passed by Jaehyun's outstretched arm.

He looked at her. "Why?" he asked, obviously confused.

"We're barefoot," she replied, pointing her index finger down at their bare feet. "Going barefoot is associated with poverty. The cabbies likely assume we can't afford to pay our cab fare."

"You're right." Jaehyun sighed. He placed his arm around her shoulder and asked, "Do you want to take a bus or piggyback ride?"

"Let's walk together." She grinned. He beamed, nodding enthusiastically. Holding hands, they walked down the street. The concrete was warm and people were staring at their bare feet. Their stares didn't affect them anyway. None of them spoke; they just enjoyed each other's company. They kept stealing glances at each other. When they were halfway to his house, she stopped abruptly. He stopped as well and looked at her.

"Is there something wrong?" Jaehyun asked.

Jiyeon shook her head, smiling from ear to ear. "Let's race to your home!" and she took a sudden leap forward, leaving him behind.

He ran after her, shouting, "Hey, you cheater! Come back here!" and the two ran happily as if they were just little kids.

When they reached the gate, they bent over at the waist, resting their hands on their knees, catching their breath. They looked at each other and exchanged small laughs. He straightened up and opened the gate. He then squatted down slightly in front of her. "I know you're tired, so hop on. I'll piggyback you to the house."

"No, thank you. You're tired too. I can walk." 

"Come on, hop on," he insisted, tapping his back.

"Okay." She climbed onto his back and wrapped her arms around his neck to hold on. Her legs were wrapped around his waist. Jaehyun held her legs as he walked towards the front door. He jogged up the porch steps, bouncing Jiyeon as much as possible. She tightened her arms around his neck.

He gasped. "You're choking me."

"Sorry," she whispered. With one hand still holding her leg, he reached into his front jeans pocket and pulled out the key. He inserted it into the lock, unlocked the door, and then gave it a nudge to open it up. Her heart beat faster, anticipation curling inside her as he entered. He headed to the living room and gently set her down on the couch.

I thought he would take me to his room again. A silent sigh escaped her lips.

"Wait here. I'll take my phone," Jaehyun said. Jiyeon gave him a curt nod, and he headed for the stairs.

She woke up very early this morning; now she felt pleasantly drowsy. She let out a big yawn and stretched her arms high above her head then leaned back against the couch. Closing her eyes, she allowed herself to drift off to sleep. She was just starting to drift off when she heard Jaehyun's gentle voice: "Jiyeon, you said you want to send a message to your dad."

She opened her eyes and found him sitting beside her, holding the phone in his left hand and a glass of water in his right hand. He handed the glass to her. She smiled as she took it and drained it.

"Thank you." She handed the empty glass back to him. He placed it on the table and handed her his phone.

"My sister sounded so excited when asking you about the names of her future niece and nephew. You already have names for our future kids?" Jaehyun asked as she typed a message.

Jiyeon shook her head as she hit the send button and said, "I never even think of it—" She put the phone on the table and looked at him. "I was so carried away when I watched you play with that little boy. You two looked like a father and son."

His face broke into a grin, and she noticed his shoulders shaking. It seemed like he was laughing inwardly. She blew out a breath before she tickled his stomach, causing him to burst out laughing. His laughter was contagious. She laughed along. After the laughter subsided, Jaehyun leaned back and put one hand behind his head, looking up at the ceiling. 

"What are you thinking about?" Jiyeon asked as she leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder.

"I'm thinking about names for our future kids." Jaehyun stared down at her and smiled. "Combining my name and yours sounds like a good idea. I'll name our future daughter Jaeyeon and our future son Jihyun. Do you agree?"

"Jaeyeon, Jihyun," Jiyeon inwardly repeated thrice. It sounds good to the ear. She lifted her head and said, "Of course, I agree. Those are beautiful names." She kissed his cheek.   

Beaming widely, Jaehyun laid his arm across her shoulders, gathered her close to him and kissed the top of her head. He took her hand and held it against his chest. She could feel his heartbeat. Closing her eyes, she imagined how their hearts were beating together as one. She smiled at the tackiness of that thought. The ringing phone startled her. Her eyes snapped open. She pulled away from him.

Jaehyun leaned forward and grabbed his phone off the table. "It's my father." He hit the receive button and put it to his ear.

"Hello, Father," he spoke into the phone. After a short pause, he continued, "She's now in our home, and her dad will come here after teaching."

A joyful smile adorned his face. He then nodded and said, "Be careful on the way."

"My father is on his way home from his office," Jaehyun told her as he pulled the phone away from his ear and put it back on the table.

I'm not nervous. I can't wait to meet his father, the man who has no greed for women. I admire his devotion to his wife. Jiyeon beamed. "I'm ready to meet your father."    

"I'm ready to meet your dad too. Let's wait them outside." He rose to his feet and held out his hand to her.

She grabbed his hand and also got up. They walked out into his front yard and lay down on the grass, holding hands. The sun felt good as it engulfed her in its warm gentle breeze. Her eyelids grew heavy. Drowsiness seeped through her like warm honey; the warm sun and gentle breeze had done their becalming work.

"I'm so drowsy. Let me take a short nap." Her eyelids fell shut as she rested against him. With his breathing as the rhythm, she drifted off to sleep.

Jiyeon was aware she was dreaming. She found herself standing in a familiar park. She looked down at herself and chuckled softly. She didn't wear a white dress. She was in her casual outfits, a plain white T-shirt and navy jeans. Suddenly from behind, a pair of hands covered her eyes. The hands had a familiar scent—the scent of apples or strawberries. She touched the soft hands and removed them from covering her eyes. She looked at her back to check who was behind her and was surprised to see her love.

She turned around to face him, grinning so widely as she realized he wore the exact same outfit she was wearing. She then burst out laughing, remembering Jaehyun was the one who was wearing that outfit in the waking life. She laughed so hard her stomach and face muscles hurt.

"What?" Jaehyun asked. "Why are you laughing?"

"It's just—so funny, we're here—together—wearing the exact same outfit!" Jiyeon cried, holding her stomach.

He looked down at himself then chuckled. He wrapped his arms around her neck and whispered in her ear, "So you are ready now, huh?"

She furrowed her brow, confused. "Ready for what?"

Jaehyun looked her right in the eye and replied, "To have kids. To be the mother of my children."

Without hesitation, Jiyeon gave him a nod. Jaehyun hugged her and spun her around in a circle. Her bare feet lifted high off the ground. She squealed in delight. When he set her back down on her feet, she caught someone in a black hoodie hiding behind a tree, watching them.

"Baekwoon?" Jiyeon called out. Jaehyun moved to stand beside her and held her hand.

"I know you're Baekwoon. Are you still mad at me?" she continued. "Please come out, don't hide."

"Jiyeon, I think he's still mad at you," Jaehyun said aloud after a moment's silence. "So let's go somewhere beautiful and make a baby there. You're ready to be the mother of my children, aren't you?"  

His words surprised her. Jiyeon jerked her gaze to him. "A-are you serious?" she asked, sputtering.

"I'm one hundred percent serious, babe," he hummed in reply, keeping his eyes on the tree. "Let's go somewhere beautiful and make a baby there." Yet he didn't move. He pressed his lips tightly together, exposing two dimples on either side of his cheeks. She could see his body shake with silent laughter. That was when she realized he was just trying to make him come out of his hiding spot. His attempt was met with success. The man stepped out from behind the tree. He removed his hood revealing his handsome features and blonde hair as he walked over to them. Baekwoon stood a short distance from them, watching Jaehyun intently.

Jiyeon cleared twice before she proudly introduced him, rubbing his arm, "Baekwoon, this is my life partner, Jung Jaehyun."

Baekwoon ignored her. He kept his intense gaze fixed on Jaehyun's face. Jaehyun bowed his head in greeting and said in a joking tone as if trying to diffuse the awkward situation, "I know I'm handsome, no need to stare like that."

"You really think you're ready to be a father?" Baekwoon finally spoke after a long silence. "You're still a high-school student. You need money to raise a kid."

Jaehyun took three steps forward and placed his hands on Baekwoon's shoulders. "Bro, I know I'm four years younger than her. I'm mature for my age. I can protect her and feed her. I'm sure I can afford to raise kids too, so you don't need to worry," Jaehyun's tone was soft, gentle, reassuring.

Baekwoon flung his hands away, shouting, "I don't believe you! You're a playboy! You'll throw her like a piece of cheap trash after you take her ity!"

The last sentence burned her. She narrowed her eyes and gnashed her teeth together while Jaehyun let out a short, displeased laugh.  

"I don't need your worries. I can take care of myself. I wish you'd disappear from my life. You know my mom wants me to marry your brother because of you," Jiyeon hissed. Simultaneously, Jaehyun said, managing to sound calm, "I would do no such thing. You don't know me yet you judge me with your assumptions."

Baekwoon shoved Jaehyun aside, took steps forward and cupped her face in his hands. Looking her in the eye, he spoke through gritted teeth, "Why are you blaming me? If you didn't date your student, your mom wouldn't set up an arranged marriage for you."

Jiyeon put her hands on his chest and pushed him away. "My mom tried to set me up with Junmyeon even before I started dating Jaehyun because she believed it would make me stop dreaming about the owner of my imaginary voice! You know who the owner of my imaginary voice is!" she bellowed. She took a deep breath trying to calm her temper then dropped her voice a notch, "You said Baekhyun is a playboy, and you constantly warned me to stay away from him. Now you approve of him as my future husband?"

Baekwoon sank to his knees and lowered his head. "No, I don't approve of him. I—I'm sorry," he responded with his voice quivering. "I'm sorry for making your life miserable."

He seemed to know he was dead. Jiyeon shook her head, the beginnings of a laugh stifled by disbelief, and…

The splash of cool water hitting her face was more than a shock. It was like a blast of cold air hitting every inch of her body. Jiyeon gasped. Her eyes flew wide open, and she managed to bolt into a sitting position. The first thing she saw was Eunji towering above her, holding a bottle of water.

"I'm sorry for startling you," Eunji said as Jiyeon wiped her face on her sleeve. She then took a step closer to her brother, poured water in her hand and splashed his face with it.

His eyes flew open, and Jaehyun jerked himself to a sitting position and wiped his hand across his face. He stared at Eunji. "Why did you splash water on my face? Just shaking my shoulder is enough to wake me up," he said, his annoyance palpable.

Shaking her head, Eunji sighed. "I tried it, but it didn't work. You both were sleeping like a log—" She stared at Jiyeon with a curious look on her face. "You were laughing in your sleep. Were you having a dream, Jiyeon?"

Jiyeon took a deep breath before she answered, "Yes, I was dreaming of meeting Baekwoon again."

Jaehyun jerked his gaze to Jiyeon and said, "I was dreaming of meeting him too."