Chapter 36

Heartfelt Voice

"So you both were taking a nap together in the sun and dreaming about meeting the same man at the same time?" Eunji shook her head, laughing. Jiyeon squinted her eyes, wondering whether they had the same dream. After the laughter subsided, Eunji brought the bottle to her lips, taking a drink directly from it. "Jiyeon, your dad is in our living room talking with our father. You can tell me about that dream later. Let's go, they've been waiting for you." She held out her free hand to her. Jiyeon grabbed her hand and rose to her feet. They walked towards the front door side by side.

"When did you get home, sis?" Jaehyun, who was right behind them, asked. "How was your busking?"

"I got home about an hour ago. I was surprised to find both of you napping in the sun," Eunji replied. "It was fun. He played the guitar, and I sang along. It was a great experience."

An hour ago? She repeated inwardly. Oops, I napped for more than an hour. That's not a short nap, Jiyeon. She bit her lower lip, chuckling inwardly. She then stated rather bluntly, "You watched us sleep?"

"You accepted his proposal?" Jaehyun added.

Eunji paused at the top porch step, and Jiyeon and Jaehyun halted as well. "It was interesting to watch you smile, laugh and tense in your sleep," she responded, looking alternately at them. "No, I didn't accept his proposal. I told him to find another woman." Then she entered the house. Holding hands, Jiyeon and Jaehyun followed suit.

They headed for the living room. Their fathers were sitting on the couch across from one another talking about the childhood of their children. They exchanged laughs. The sight gave her a warm feeling that spread throughout her body. His father raised his hand in silent greeting once he noticed them.

"I finally managed to wake them up after a few tries," Eunji said as she approached her father and sat on the arm of the couch, eying Jaehyun the space beside him.

"Good afternoon," Jiyeon greeted his father, bowing her head politely. Simultaneously, Jaehyun greeted her father, bowing his head politely, "Good afternoon."

Their fathers returned their greeting with soft smiles. They took a seat beside their own fathers.

"How was your nap, Jiyeon?" his father inquired.

"It was great." Jiyeon smiled.

"How about you, Jaehyun?" her father asked.

"It was wonderful," Jaehyun answered politely.

There was a brief silence before her father continued in the most serious tone of voice she'd ever heard, "Are you really serious about my daughter or you just want to go out with girls?"

Jaehyun appeared calm and confident. "Yes, I'm really serious about your daughter. I love her dearly. I'm sure I can provide her needs."

"You can provide her needs?" her father countered, his stern gaze never leaving Jaehyun's face. "Your father said you quit school. For most jobs in our country, you need a minimum of a high school diploma. How can you provide her needs? Do you think you can survive only on love?"

Jaehyun looked at his father. His father nodded, giving his hand a squeeze. He then looked back at her father and spoke in a calm and polite voice, "Yes, I quit school. I enjoy learning. But I don't like school. There is nothing schools offer that you cannot learn on your own. The very nature of school means you are trading your limited time on this earth to sit in classrooms when there is so much more to explore and learn in the real world than from a teacher in a classroom. The world is not what they taught us in school. College is a big business based on the illusion of education. The education you get is just enough to absorb the indoctrination. Most people that go to college end up working jobs they hate 50+ hours/week. They have to repay college debt. They are a slave to their boss. That is the real trap—" Jaehyun paused and took a breath.  

He smiled at Jiyeon before he continued, "Our system is geared towards success. Having goods signifies success and equally not having goods signifies failure. Achieving a high level of material wealth is sold as the golden standard of life achievement. So in essence, our whole lives ought to be centered around 'being rich'. To me, that's not life. True happiness doesn't come from material goods or money. It comes from deeper fulfillment and by being content from within. If you rely on money for your happiness, then you fall into an endless cycle of frustration. What cycle? The cycle of thinking 'I'll be happy if I get X,' then getting X, not being satisfied, then thinking 'I'll be happy if I get Y,' then getting Y, and then keeping on with that same cycle of frustration. Unfortunately, this is what we've been led to believe—that chasing after money and after temporary things will bring us fulfillment. But it doesn't. The more you have, the more you want, and the harder it is to find true happiness and peace. Your daughter and I don't want to be a part of this materialistic world. We want a simple life, off the grid. Mother Nature provides for every necessary need, it's free of charge. I know how to hunt and fish. Will you give us your blessing and your consent?"   

Letting out a heavy sigh, her father leaned forward, rested his elbows on his thighs and covered his face with his hands as if in thought whereas Jiyeon couldn't stop smiling. She was so impressed with his outlook. But then her smile vanished as a realization hit her.

My boastful attitude about being the youngest teacher proves I got into materialism. Teaching is a high status and well-paid job in our country. At a young age, we are brainwashed to think school and college is everything. Entrance to the nation's top three universities is so competitive that a mere one percent of students who take the entrance exams gain admission each year. For many families, generations of hopes and dreams rest on the prospect of a child making it to that one percent group to claim a coveted university spot and secure a brighter future for the entire family. I sacrificed all my time for studying in order to be one of that mere one percent of students.

We live in a very materialistic world in which showing dominance and accumulating nice things/wealth raises our status. Status and wealth are given so much importance. Many people prance around in social media showing off their new gadgets, trendy clothes and lovely holidays taken in faraway places. Owning things has become the core of our existence. I'm glad I chose my relationship with Jaehyun over the status I've always been proud of, and I thank God for not being into materialism farther.

Materialism does not bring happiness; it only brings Debt Enslavement. Why accumulating "things" is called consumerism? Because the buyers get consumed by buying things they don't really need. Materialism will never bring peace to the wanting heart, for it will always need to buy new stuff to keep up with the latest trends and become better than others! Debt Enslavement is the name of the game. With or without my parents' approval and Jaehyun, I'll go off-grid; I don't want to waste my time chasing after money and material goods, which I cannot take it with me when I die. This is my life, not theirs. 

Jiyeon's thoughts were interrupted by Jaehyun's gentle voice: "Will you give us your blessing and your consent, Dad?"

Jiyeon was surprised hearing him call her father Dad, but she didn't let it show. Her father lifted his head and gazed intently at him as he countered, "Jaehyun, you still need money to buy land and build a cabin."

"Mr. Park, you don't need to worry about that," his father finally spoke up, "I have a cabin in the woods which I built when Jaehyun was eleven. I taught him how to live off-grid. He is now 18, meaning he is his own father. He can take good care of himself and the one he loves."

"You approve of my daughter, Mr. Jung?" her father stated bluntly. "She is four years older than your son."

His father nodded, smiling. "As long as love, care, trust and commitment exist, the age doesn't mean a thing. My wife was five years older than I am. We were married for 17 years until she passed away. I knew in my heart that marrying her was a good fit. She was my best friend and much more. We both treasured and enjoyed our , ually speaking, our age difference was an asset rather than a liability." An infinite tenderness shone in his eyes. 

His father's words and his expression touched her heart. Jiyeon blinked back the moisture in her eyes. She wondered why Jaehyun never mentioned his parents' .

Eunji held her father's hand and said, looking alternately at Jiyeon and her brother, "It's okay to marry someone whose thinking matches yours, and if there's enough love between the two of you. The doesn't and shouldn't matter. Only the societies make it an issue."

His sister's words brought smiles to their faces. I agree with you, sis. Jiyeon stared at her admiringly. Eunji smiled sweetly at her.

Jiyeon's father let out a long sigh and looked at his father. "Honestly, your son's outlook impressed me—" He put his arm around Jiyeon's shoulder. "I have forbidden Jiyeon to date during her teenage years. She is now an adult. It's time to let her decide who she wants to be with, let her lead her life on her own terms."

The last sentence surprised her. Jiyeon looked at her father and asked, "Dad, does it mean you approve of our relationship and support our decision to live off-grid?"

"Both of you love each other and are serious about each other. I approve and give my blessing"—her father looked at them alternately with a degree of tenderness that filled his eyes with tears—"I hope both of you won't regret this decision."

Jaehyun and his family exchanged bright smiles. Jiyeon beamed very brightly, and happy tears welled in her eyes. She hugged her father while Jaehyun rose to his feet and approached them. He joined the hug, wrapping his arms around them.

"We won't regret it," Jiyeon whispered.

"We won't regret it even in death," Jaehyun said, sounding confident. A few seconds later, the embrace ended. Jaehyun went back to sit beside his father. His father gave Jiyeon a fatherly smile.

"Jiyeon, last night Jaehyun spent all night talking about you," his father began. He caressed Jaehyun's head as he continued, "He always said he wanted to drop out of high school, live off-grid and learn to understand God's work. I have no doubt you, as a math teacher, can help him learn to understand it."

"I'll do my best to help him." Jiyeon beamed.

"Why did you support his decision to drop out?" Jiyeon's father asked. "Do you have the same perspective on school as he does?"

"It was a great surprise to me when I first heard my son's perspective on school. My wife and I promised to each other on the day that our daughter was born that we would raise our children to be tolerant. We wouldn't push our children into things. School doesn't make him happy, so there's no point in forcing him to stay in school. One can be educated without going to school. The only requirement for an education is curiosity and the act of seeking answers to those things you are curious about—" His father shifted his gaze from her father to Jiyeon. "I'm glad he chose you. I find it admirable that you encourage your students to challenge authority. Nowadays, questioning anything is seen as insubordination and a threat to authority. Many teachers are simply cogs in a system that spends a great deal of time in pretense; they do what they're told as they're told, they speak the contrived language they're told to, but really push buttons quite well and can look down their noses at anyone who thinks differently, and offer themselves as efficient focused and 'industrious.' There's a lot Jaehyun can learn from you."

Jiyeon just nodded faintly. She was deeply touched. His father trusted her.

"Indoctrination is a huge goal of the school system. Schools don't teach kids to question things, they tell them to accept things for 'the way they are.' Those who question it are punished through ridicule and ostracism. If someday I get married and have children, I won't send them to school. I'll homeschool them. Once they are old enough, I'll let them do self-study. I definitely believe that you do so much better in life and learning when you self-educate," Eunji chimed in. "College consisted of classes where I was told to obey the rules, follow the instructions, memorize information, and regurgitate it on a test. Do that, and you'll be fine. This kind of approach destroys critical thinking. Don't you agree?"   

After a brief silence, Jiyeon's father nodded and said, "Do you already have a potential husband, Eunji?"

Eunji shook her head. "No, I don't have," she countered. "Uncle Park, your wife doesn't approve of my brother, what will you do?"

Her father closed his eyes and took a deep breath, then slowly let it out. "I will try to convince her—" He glanced down at his watch and rose to his feet. "It was great meeting you and hearing your perspective. I'm going to head out now. Let's meet again soon."  

Jiyeon, Jaehyun and his family stood up. "Let's keep in touch," his father responded, and they escorted her father to the front door.

"Jiyeon, do you want to go home together?" her father asked as they stepped out onto the porch.

"No, Dad." Jiyeon hugged her father and whispered, "Please tell Mom not to worry. I'll go home at six o'clock and attend the dinner meeting. I want to meet Baekhyun's mother."

Her father said nothing. He rubbed her back before he released himself from the hug. He gave Jaehyun a brief hug and bowed to his father and Eunji. They smiled as they bowed back. He then walked down the porch steps and hopped on his bicycle.

"Be careful on the way," Jiyeon and Jaehyun said in unison as her father started pedaling. He lifted his right hand without looking back.

Once Jiyeon's father disappeared from sight, his father said, "I pray your dad will manage to convince your mom."

"Amen," Eunji responded. "Let's go back inside."

Eunji linked her arm through her father's as they walked back inside the house. Jaehyun and Jiyeon smiled at each other before they followed suit. They sat side by side on the couch across from them.

"Jiyeon, you can tell me about that dream now," Eunji said. "I'm interested in hearing it."

Jiyeon and Jaehyun exchanged looks, and he gave her a nod. Jiyeon took a deep breath before speaking, "I want to know whether Jaehyun and I had the same dream or not—" Her gaze switched from Eunji to Jaehyun. "Let's tell our dreams simultaneously, so we know none of us lie."

Jaehyun pressed his lips together in a failed attempt to hide his smile, while Eunji tried to contain herself, but couldn't help letting out a stifled laugh. Jiyeon blew out a breath, annoyed at their reactions. She didn't say anything funny.

"That's good idea," their father said. "I'm going to count to three. When I say three, you two start telling your dreams, you got that?"

"Yes," Jiyeon acknowledged. Jaehyun nodded.

Their father started counting. Just as he reached the number three, Jiyeon and Jaehyun said simultaneously:

"In my dream, Jaehyun and I were in a familiar park. We wore the exact same outfit, and I found it so damn funny, so I burst out laughing. He then asked me if I'm ready now. I had no clue what he was talking about, so I asked him, 'ready for what?' He replied, to have kids, to be the mother of my children. Without hesitation, I gave him a nod, and he hugged me. He lifted me up off the ground and spun me around. When he set me back down, I caught someone in a black hoodie hiding behind a tree, watching us. I recognized that person and called his name—"    

"In my dream, we were in a park. Jiyeon laughed so hard because we wore the exact same clothes—she found it so funny. Then I questioned her if she's ready now. She got confused and asked me, 'ready for what?' I answered, to have kids, to be the mother of my children. She nodded unhesitatingly, and a wave of intense happiness washed over me. I hugged her and lifted her up, spinning her around. When I put her back down, she caught someone in a hoodie hiding behind a tree, watching us. She recognized him and called his name—"

Jiyeon and Jaehyun paused, looked at each other and burst out laughing. It was hard to believe they shared a dream.  

"You two did share a dream. It's likely a sign you two are in sync with each other," their father remarked. Simultaneously, Eunji said, "Oh my God, you both did have the same dream at the same time." She shook her head, slightly ajar.

Eunji drew a deep breath and continued, looking alternately at them, "Now I got why you laughed and smiled in your sleep. What I don't get is why you tensed in your sleep. You had such a sweet dream."

"Sis, I haven't finished telling you about the rest of my dream. We had the same dream, so let's hear it from Jaehyun's side," Jiyeon responded. Eunji's brows lifted, and formed a small 'o'. Jiyeon held Jaehyun's hand and dropped her voice to whisper, "Go ahead and speak up."

Jaehyun cleared his throat and began to speak, "Jiyeon asked him if he was still mad at her and begged him to come out of his hiding spot. However, he didn't give a damn. He remained hiding there. I knew he liked her, so in order to make him come out of his hiding spot, I deliberately said, 'let's go somewhere beautiful and make a baby there.' Unexpectedly, Jiyeon took it seriously—" Jaehyun broke into laughter. Eunji tilted her head to the side, her body shaking a bit. It looked like she was laughing silently. Their father gave Eunji a pat on the shoulder, soft laugh escaping his mouth.

Jiyeon slapped Jaehyun's thigh lightly and snorted. "There's absolutely nothing funny about that."

Jaehyun stopped laughing, touched her face and mouthed, "Sorry." Then he continued telling his dream, "I repeated those words, and the man finally stepped out from behind the tree and pulled off his hood as he approached us. When Jiyeon introduced me as her life partner, Baekwoon ignored her. He kept his intense gaze on my face, making me feel uncomfortable. Trying to diffuse the situation, I joked, but it didn't work. After a long silence, he finally spoke up, 'you really think you're ready to be a father? You're still a high-school student. You need money to raise a kid.' I was surprised. He not only looked exactly like Baekhyun, his voice sounded exactly like him. I tried to convince him that I could protect and feed her. I could raise kids too, but failed miserably. He got angry and accused me of being a playboy—I would throw her like a piece of cheap trash after taking her ity. It pissed me off."

"His accusation burned me," Jiyeon chimed in. "I told him I don't need his worries. I can take care of myself. I wish he'd disappear from my life."

"That's why you tensed in your sleep?" Eunji responded. Simultaneously, their father asked, "Who were Baekwoon and Baekhyun? What was your relationship with them?"

"Father, Baekwoon is the owner of the voice Jiyeon has been hearing. He stalked her when he was alive," Jaehyun answered. "Baekhyun is his twin brother. Sis knows him."

Their father shifted his gaze to Eunji. Eunji nodded and said, "Baekhyun is my friend. Junmyeon introduced him to me. Baekhyun never mentioned he had a twin brother."

"Sis, you know our dreams took place at the park we first met," Jiyeon told her. "After you left, Baekwoon made a remark on your opinion about how people react to the truth. That day was the first and the last time I met him and heard his voice in the waking life."

Eunji's mouth gaped open and closed over and over as if fighting to speak. "Your dream took place at the park we first met? Baekwoon made a remark on my opinion?" Eunji finally echoed, her voice rife with incredulity. Jiyeon nodded, and then Eunji continued, "What was his remark? Do you know how he died?"

Jiyeon let out a long sigh before answering, "He said your opinion is spot on. He died saving a middle school student from drowning…" She trailed off as she heard a familiar voice boom outside.

"Jaehyun! Are you home?"