Chapter 11

Heartfelt Voice

Jiyeon felt a vibration in her pocket. She reached into her pocket, pulled out of her mother's cell phone and looked at the caller ID display, which said, Jiyeon's Dad. Smiling, she pressed the accept call button and brought the phone to her ear. "Hello, Dad," she said; her voice rose a little with happy excitement. "I miss you so much!"

Her father's deep and soothing voice poured into her ear: "I miss you too, my princess. How's life?"

"Dad, please stop calling me your princess. I'm not your little girl anymore; I'm a grown woman," Jiyeon countered rather emphatically then sighed. "Not so good. Mom keeps insisting that I go see a psychiatrist, but I don't want to because I love myself too much. I'm sure a psychiatrist will give me a diagnosis and a handful of drugs, which will only harm my brain." Her lip twitched slightly in irritation when she noticed that Baekhyun was watching her with a smirk.

"Fine, I'll stop calling you my princess; you've grown up. Jiyeon, your mom has told me the reasons why she wants you to see a psychiatrist. You don't have to worry; I've given your mom an understanding of medical and mental are not the same—that drugs are not the answer to mental problems. Problems of the mind are not problems of the brain—"

The phone went silent.    

"Dad?" Jiyeon held it out to look at the display screen. "Dead!" a scream spilled out of . "Mom, when did you last charge your phone?" She raised her hand to throw it, but Baekhyun's words stopped her from doing so.

"Want to throw that? You might have intermittent explosive disorder." He got off the motorbike and walked over to her. He stood before her, leaning close to her until their faces were only inches apart. "Why do you want to visit my brother's grave? Did you know him? Were you his girlfriend? How did you know him?"

Intermittent explosive disorder! It's really ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous! What fool believes there's a mental illness called that? Jiyeon clutched the phone tightly, narrowing her eyes at him, and then she aimed a front kick at his right leg.

"Ouch!" Baekhyun shouted, bending over to rub his right leg—simultaneously, Jiyeon heard the gasps of shock, followed by whispers behind her, but that didn't bother her at all. He looked up at her, his face crumpling. "Oh ! Why did you kick me?"

"Didn't you just assume that I have IED? Yes, you're correct. I have this ridiculous disorder that's why I kicked you," Jiyeon growled through clenched teeth, while her hazel eyes shot daggers at him. "I'm considered a narcissist for loving myself too much, right? I'm also considered delusional for believing he, the owner of the voice I've been hearing, is obsessed with me, for believing psychiatric drugs will only harm my brain, and for believing in God and the spiritual world—Sigmund Freud, the atheist father of psychiatry, considered religion to be a childish delusion! I possess two symptoms of schizophrenia, namely hallucinations and delusions, meaning I'm suffering from schizophreniathe sacred symbol of psychiatry! You said only a psychiatrist can make a diagnosis of schizophrenia. That's bull! Everyone can actually make a diagnosis because there is no single physical or lab test used to diagnose it. You just need to compare the words people used to describe themselves with the checklists provided in the DSM. If their symptoms meet two out of five symptoms, then you can declare that they are schizophrenic. See how simple it is. Schizophrenia is not a brain disorder; it's a bull label, Mr. Byun!"    

Remembering how he kept tapping his right thumb against his left thumb when interviewing her made her want to punch his face. Her chest was rising and falling with her angry breaths. Jiyeon was sure Baekhyun could see the rise and fall of her chest, the white-knuckle grip she had on her bag strap.

Baekhyun blew a loud breath up, ruffling his bangs before he stood straight up. Staring directly into her eyes, he spoke, "Schizophrenia is a brain disorder! You know, in patients with schizophrenia, MRI shows a smaller total brain volume and enlarged ventricles—"

"Schizophrenia is a bull label! Those scans were conducted after the patients had been given neuroleptics, which caused the abnormalities, Mr. Byun," Jiyeon snapped with anger erupting from her voice. "Have you read Mad in America by Robert Whitaker? Mr. Whitaker has made many investigations into schizophrenia using MRI scans and found that the drugs not only profoundly hinder dopamine function, they also cause a pathological increase in dopamine receptors in the brain, the very abnormality believed to cause schizophrenia in the first place and no mapping of gray matter loss in those with schizophrenia who were never exposed to antipsychotic medications. "Schizophrenic" behaviors or thoughts are evidence of abnormality, so my question is 'abnormal' from what? The brain? Mr. Byun, no abnormality has been found in the brains of the unmedicated schizophrenics"

"Could you please listen and let me—"  

"Christoff Koch, Ph.D, Professor of Cognitive & Behavioral Biology at California Institute of Technology, who studies human brains using high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), has said that 'we can't tell a schizophrenic brain from an autistic brain from a normal brain'. Psychiatrists use PET scans and fMRI scans to prove that mental illness has a biological cause—these scans are produced by neuroscientists and appear in promotional material used by psychiatry! Psychiatry has been doing research for over two hundred years, and still there is no proof of an illness! Why? The reason is very simple: mental illnesses do not exist. Mental illnesses only exist in the imaginations of researchers, who try to prove its existence, and in the minds of people, who have been fed the lie that mental illnesses are biologically based brain disorders!" she shouted, eyes darting all over his face.

Baekhyun turned his face up to the sky, running his hands through his hair, then back at her. "Ms. Park Jiyeon, I was just kidding when I said you might have IED. I came here not for an argument; I came here because my aunty told me to—"

"Kidding your ! No need to take me there. I can go there myself—" Jiyeon stuffed the phone into her pocket and blew out an angry breath. Her sharp eyes held his. "Is psychology a science, Mr. Byun Baekhyun?"

Confidence laced each of his words: "Yes, psychology is a science because it takes the scientific approach to understanding human behavior."

Jiyeon stepped forward, daring to stand side by side with him, facing opposite directions. "Then can you show me scientific evidence for the validity of narcissism? Why five different psychologists come up with five totally different interpretations and diagnoses from the same data?"

"Why do you hate psychology?"

"You seem unwilling to answer, so I'm going to answer my own questions. You better listen carefully." Jiyeon darted a glance from the corner of her eye, and her lips curled into a sneer. "Definitely, you cannot because there is no scientific evidence for the validity of narcissism. In his book, What is Mental Illness, the Harvard psychology professor Richard J. McNally, who himself served on DSM IV committees, says that 'the scientific evidence pertaining to narcissistic, paranoid, dependent, histrionic, obsessive-compulsive and passive-aggressive personality disorders is nearly nonexistent despite their appearance in DSM in 1980.' That means the diagnosis of personality disorders is bogus in order to sell a fake cure! Personality disorders only exist in the minds of people, who have bought and have been fed the lie that the idea of a personality disorder is a valid scientific construct, which it is not. Personality disorders are unscientific bull. There are no biological tests or biomarkers for these ridiculous "diagnoses"! Why five different psychologists come up with five totally different interpretations and diagnoses from the same data? They're mainly due to a clear and prevalent lack of scientific rigor in psychological theories. What are in front of the psychologist are statements from interviews or completed questionnaires, responses to tests such as the Rorschach inkblots, diaries, and the like. The "data" from judging other's behaviors is subjective, Mr. Byun—" Jiyeon paused and looked down at her hands while taking in a deep breath.   

ing her left hand into her pocket, Jiyeon continued, "Psychology doesn't exactly have clear terminology: what constitutes happiness? What is insanity? Turning words into numbers is not scientific, such as with "rating scales". Whether you want to admit it or not, the study of human behavior is based primarily on subjective measurements, and without physical tools, physical units of measurement, there's no repeatability. In fact, psychology has failed to reproducible experiments. Therefore psychology isn't a science. Both psychiatry and psychology are equally unscientific, steered by opinion and fads, not by evidence. They have no idea of what the causes for any their so-called mental disorder, so how dare they treat anyone with psychopharmacology? The most rudimentary tenets of CBT have been comprehensively refuted by the neuroscientific work of Damasio and LeDoux. However, this doesn't stop psychology from proclaiming CBT as 'evidence based'. The Rorschach test deemed an X-ray of the unconscious mind and attachment therapy are the two examples of pseudo-scientific"—she blew out another angry breath—"what's even more terrible is that attachment therapy has managed to have deaths and injuries. Psychologist Robert Zaslow and psychiatrist Foster Cline, the father of Attachment Therapy, surrendered their professional licenses due to injuries to patients as the result of the treatment. Both psychiatrists and psychologists spout their opinions as though they were facts—both of them are destroying and killing people based on a pseudoscience—there's no scientific evidence to verify the existence of any mental disorder found in the DSM. That's why I hate psychology and psychiatry with a passion. To me, psychologists are not far different from fortune tellers; the Rorschach test is the equivalent to the palm reading—nonsense! Mr. Byun, the three "minds": id, ego, superego should not be viewed as actual parts of the brain, since you can't find them with an MRI scan!"            

"Why did you ask me about something you already know?" Baekhyun retorted, anger lacing his words as his voice rose. "Are you testing me?"  

Jiyeon burst into a loud laugh, and tapping him on the shoulder, she said, "Yes, I'm testing you. You're twenty-three years old, yet you haven't completed your bachelor's degree! I feel so sorry for your parents; they are wasting their money on your education! Do you not feel bad?"

Baekhyun jerked his head to look at her. His jaw flexed as his eyes narrowed. "Hey, girl! You get on my damn nerves! You can hate psychology and psychiatry as much as you want, but why are you bashing me?"

Confronted by his fiery stare, Jiyeon gazed back without flinching. "Hey, boy! I'm not bashing you! I speak based on the fact!" she replied, yelling as loudly as him. Pedestrians shook their heads at them as they passed.  

Baekhyun was obviously very angry. His face turned crimson, and his eyes bulged. His hand balled into a fist at his side, and his nostrils flared. Still, Jiyeon didn't flinch. She kept her gaze on him. She knew that her words were rude, but he deserved it for labeling her mentally ill. Again, hearing the whispers coming from behind her, she glanced over her shoulder and saw Chaeyeon, Taeyong and a couple of other students standing a few feet behind her. They stopped whispering, and almost all of them ducked their heads down a bit. Squeezing her eyes shut, Jiyeon took several deep breaths to calm her nerves and cool her heated temper.

"My girl, tell him to stop playing with girls' emotions and being a lazy ," the voice whispered softly in her right ear as Jiyeon turned around to face the students.

"Everyone, the show is over. Now you better go home. Don't make your parents worry about you," Jiyeon told them firmly. The students nodded slightly and walked off towards the bus stop, except for Taeyong and Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon's hand was tugging at the sleeve of Taeyong's uniform, and her lips were moving, as if she was saying something to Taeyong, who was smirking in their direction.

"Jiboast, congratulations! You've beaten him up," Taeyong said in a loud voice, then clapped his hands, laughing. "Hey bro, stay strong, don't cry! Now go home and study hard like a good little boy, so you can prove to our youngest teacher that you are not that stupid," he added, his tone laced with mocking amusement.

"You damn kid, how dare you mock me?" Baekhyun took a few quick strides towards Taeyong and grabbed him by his school uniform collar.

"P-please…forgive him…don't hit him," Chaeyeon said with a quivering voice, her hands trembling when Baekhyun raised his right fist.

"C-calm down, bro. I'm—"

"Mr. Byun Baekhyun, take your hand off him, or I call the police!" Jiyeon commanded, almost shouting, stepping towards him. Baekhyun shoved Taeyong, causing him to stumble backwards, but Taeyong managed to keep his balance. Chaeyeon immediately grabbed her cousin's arm and pulled him along as she ran towards the bus stop.

"Go home and work on your final paper." Jiyeon caught his wrist, dragging him toward the motorbike.

"Who the hell do you think you are, ordering me!" Baekhyun shouted, jerking his hand out of her grip. For a moment, they stood there, glaring at each other.

She took a deep breath, calming herself as much as she could before speaking in a low voice, "I'm Park Jiyeon, a voice-hearer; I'm so proud to be a voice-hearer. It's an incredibly special and unique experience. The voice I've been hearing belongs to your twin brother, Byun Baekwoon. He asked me to tell you to stop playing with girls' emotions and being a lazy ."

His face softened just a bit. "You earlier said that you believe the owner of the voice you've been hearing is obsessed with you. So Baekwoon is obsessed with you?"

Jiyeon gave a quick, unhesitating nod. "Yes."

"Have you ever dated anyone before?"

Jiyeon innocently shook her head no. Baekhyun erupted in a monstrous roaring laughter while holding his stomach, and then he stepped closer and placed his hands on her shoulders. Looking straight into her face, he said, "You're twenty-two years old but have never dated anyone; hence, you probably have an unconscious obsession of dating. I guess you were one of those crazy girls who were crazily in love with Baekwoon and got rejected. Since you cannot accept his rejection, you create—"

"Stupid! I never met him physically in the waking world; I only met him in my dreams twice!" Jiyeon spat venomously, shrugging his hands off her shoulders.  

Again, Baekhyun burst into a loud laugh which ended shortly in a deep sigh. He put a hand on her shoulder and leaned in close to her ear. His voice was a low seductive whisper: "Jiyeon, truth be told, I find you very attractive, especially when you're angry. Let's go on a date…it may cure your delusion and obsession."

It seems like what Baekwoon told me is right. He is a playboy! She gritted her teeth as she felt the hot flush of anger rise to her face. "You really think I have an unconscious obsession of dating because I've been single for my entire life—I'm crazily in love with your twin brother and can't accept being rejected by him, which is why my belief that he is obsessed with me is seen as delusion? And dating you will help me accept his rejection and forget about him as well as cure my unconscious obsession? Wow, such a nice "theory"!" Jiyeon hissed, pushing him roughly in the chest, which caused him to stumble backwards slightly. "No one can know us better than ourselves, Mr. Byun! Even if there were only one man in this world, I would never date you, a big jerk!" She shot him a death glare.   

"Wow, you're clever for coming up with such a theory." Baekhyun simpered. "Your glare makes me feel special. I've never met a girl in the world that makes me feel the way you do, Jiyeon." He placed his hand on his chest, as if feeling his heartbeat.

His sweet nothings disgusted her and made her want to vomit. Jiyeon turned her head to the side and spit out a glob of saliva.

"My girl, you better stay away from him, or he will make you go insane," the voice whispered softly in her right ear as she wiped with the back of her right hand.

She turned her head to look back at Baekhyun, who was still simpering. Her lip curled in disgust. "Mr. Playboy, you said you're doing a final research paper on schizophrenia. I suggest you to read Dr. Thomas Szasz's Schizophrenia—The Sacred Symbol of Psychiatry, Dr. Theodore R. Sarbin's Schizophrenia Is a Myth, Born of Metaphor, Meaningless, Mary Boyle's Schizophrenia: A Scientific Delusion? Robert Whitaker's Mad in America—" Jiyeon paused awhile, thinking; then her face broke into a big smile as an idea popped into her mind. "And give your research paper a title Schizophrenia is a Scientific Delusion Invented by Deluded People!" She laughed, clapping her hands like a kid.

"Mr. Playboy?" Baekhyun nodded, pressing his lips into a tight line. "Okay! I will consider your suggestion!" He clapped his hands together as he moved closer to her. Her laughter immediately subsided as he grasped her shoulders. His eyes locked onto hers. A few seconds later, her eyes moved from his eyes to his lips; and a feeling of shame bit at her stomach as she remembered the kiss she and his twin brother shared in her dreamland.

"Park Jiyeon, the dream... the kiss... just a dream," she silently told herself, shaking off the feeling of shame.

"Girl, you look like you want to taste my lips. No worries. I'm gonna give you what you want." A bright smile lit up his entire face, and his head descended toward hers, but Jiyeon punched him in the stomach before his lips could claim hers. Baekhyun hissed out a breath and grimaced, holding his stomach. "Damn you, Park Jiyeon! No doubt, you have IED."

Her face split into an evil smile; then without blinking she stared directly into his eyes. "Yes, you're correct. I'm mentally ill. I punch people, meaning I suffer from IED. I love myself too much, meaning I suffer from NPD. I hear voices and believe the owner of the voice is obsessed with me, meaning I suffer from schizophrenia. I suffer from some form of bull mental disorders," Jiyeon said in the most serious tone she could muster, "so don't try to play around with me. Get it, Mr. Playboy?"


"The way to sell drugs is to sell psychiatric illness."—Dr. Carl Elliott, Professor in the Center for Bioethics at the University of Minnesota.

"But isn't psychiatry science? Isn't faith in psychiatry based on facts? On research? Can't we 'trust in research'? The sad truth is that, in the field of psychiatry, it is impossible to 'trust in research.' Nearly all of the research in this field is paid for by drug companies and conducted by people who will 'deliver' in the best way possible for those companies. ... Sadly, even well-informed people too often put their faith in psychiatry and psychiatric research. It is the same as putting their faith in a drug company."—Peter R. Breggin, MD and David Cohen, Ph.D (quote from the book: Your Drug May Be Your Problem: How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Drugs, p. 189-190).