Chapter 19

Heartfelt Voice

Baekhyun poked his head out of his rolled down window and smirked. "Ms. Youngest Teacher, is he a good , huh?"

His mocking tone irritated Jiyeon. Her upper lip curled in disgust. "How many girls have you ed, Mr. Playboy?"

Instead of answering, he burst into a fit of laughter—loud, coarse, hard laughter. The sound of his laughter fueled her anger. She was about to shout "Shut up!" but held her tongue. She swallowed, as if words could be swallowed.

Calm down! Don't waste your energy on him. Jiyeon took a slow deep breath, trying to keep her temper under control. Feeling a bit calm, she turned around and hurried towards the front door. She stepped inside and closed the door behind her. She found her mother sitting in the living room, on a couch, far from the window but facing it. Her mother patted the couch and motioned Jiyeon to come sit. She moved slowly and settled beside her.

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on?"

Jiyeon crinkled her brow in confusion. "With what?"

"You and your student." Her mother stared at her intensely. "I saw him kiss your forehead."

Jiyeon ducked her head down, avoiding her gaze. "We like each other."

"How old is he?"

"He is eighteen."

"Are you out of your mind? He is not yet a legal adult. It's not good for his age; he should focus on studies." Her mother smacked her arm. "And it's against the ethics of your profession as a teacher. You better take a bunch of steps back. Keep your distance. Do not speak with him alone, do you understand?"     

"Listen to your mom. Don't bring shame to your family," Baekwoon's voice rang in her ears.

Don't meddle in my affairs, the voice of my ! Jiyeon shouted inside her head, a single tear escaping her eye, which she quickly brushed it away. "Although he is not legally considered an adult yet, he's mature," she said through gritted teeth. "Mom, I really like him. He's perfect for me. We share the same perspective. To hell with the society, I follow my heart and take the risk."

Her mother squeezed her arm tightly. "Why are you so stubborn?"

"He is not a kid. I don't commit a crime." Jiyeon leapt to her feet and rushed upstairs. Her mother followed suit.

"Your student you left in the study room has gone home. He said he has a private lesson." Her mother caught her wrist, led her to her bedroom and opened the door. Her mother stepped inside while Jiyeon stood in the doorway, scratching her head in frustration at the sight white satin pumps and a white dress lying on the bed.

"You said dating may help me stop dreaming about the owner of my 'imaginary' voice. I've found someone I want to date," Jiyeon said as she watched her mother take the dress. "So could you please cancel the invitation?"

"No. You can't date your student." Her mother turned around and held it by the shoulders, allowing the full dress to fall before her and giving her a complete view of the entire thing. The white embroidered ruffle sleeves linen dress looked simple and classy.

"It looks nice on you. Come on, wear it."

To which receive no response, her mother raised her voice, "Hurry up and change your clothes. He will be here any minute."

Damn, damn, damn! Jiyeon stomped her feet like a disgruntled child. She huffed, then sighed. With a heavy heart, she stepped inside. She took off her clothes and tossed them onto the bed.

A radiant smile lit up her mother's face when Jiyeon took the white dress out of her hands and slipped the dress on. The sleeves of her dress came down to her wrists, and the hem of her dress was below her knees. Her mother grabbed the white satin pumps and set them down before her.

"I don't want to wear those shoes." Jiyeon crossed her arms across her chest. "I don't like them. They are too feminine for me."

"You're a grown woman, for God's sake, stop acting like a child." Her mother gave her a very stern look.

"Don't force me to wear makeup."

"I won't force you. Makeup is not something that you need to put on."

Clenching teeth, Jiyeon slipped her slender barefoot into high-heeled shoes and groaned. The seven cm high heels made her feel uncomfortable. Her mother pressed her lips together in a tight line, but she wasn't entirely able to suppress a smile. Turning her toward the mirror and standing behind her, her mother placed her hands on her shoulders. Jiyeon's gaze scanned the young woman in the reflection. Close-set eyes stared back at her. She looked so stupid in a dress. It was like her dress, and then she had these legs. They just didn't match.

"You look so elegant, sweetie. The color really does suit you and give you a glow," her mother complimented her.

"Your mom is right. You look so elegant. Very beautiful," Baekwoon's voice rang in her ear, sounding so sweet and sincere.

"I look so stupid and weird in feminine clothing." Jiyeon blew out a loud breath.

Her mother shook her head. "Anything you wear looks beautiful on you."

"I hate feminine clothing. I'm wearing this dress just for today."

Smiling, her mother tenderly tucked her hair behind ear. "Let's go." Her mother linked her arm through hers and led her away. They were halfway down the stairs when a loud knock came to the front door. Her mother rushed towards it and opened it, revealing Baekhyun stand outside.

Why did that playboy come to my house? Jiyeon moved slowly and carefully. She nearly always put comfort before aesthetics in all things thus she was unused to walking in high heels.

Baekhyun bowed his head in a polite greeting. "Excuse me, are you Mrs. Park Soeun?"

"Yes, I am."

"I'm Byun Baekhyun, Kim Junmyeon's friend…" his voice trailed off as his eyes landed on Jiyeon.

Jiyeon stood beside her mother. Her eyes narrowed slightly. "Why did you come here?"

"Do you know him, sweetie?" Her mother looked at her. Jiyeon gave her mother a nod.

"You look so wonderful in your dress like a princess in a fairy tale," he simpered, batting his eyelashes.  

Jiyeon curled her lip in disgust at his sweet nothings. She came to the realization that Baekhyun and Baekwoon had one thing in common: saying sweet nothings. She clicked her tongue, shaking her head.

Baekhyun shifted his gaze to her mother. "Junmyeon has an emergency situation with a young patient. He asked me to pick you and your daughter up."

I know a good therapist. Baekhyun's words flashed into her mind. Jiyeon blinked. "Patient?" her voice oozed curiosity. "What is he? A therapist?"

"Yes, he is a good therapist."

A wave of utter disbelief washed over her. Her eyes were intense, unblinking as Jiyeon stared her mother out. "Mom, you want to set me up with Junmyeon because you know he is a therapist, right?" Her accusing tone was a dichotomy of fire and ice. It caught her by surprise.

Her mother looked defeated. "I'm sorry, sweetie. I should have told you earlier."

"Do you think he can fix me?" Her breath was rushed and pulsating. "There's nothing wrong with me. I don't need to be fixed."

"What are you doing?" her mother asked as Jiyeon bent down and took off her heels.

"I don't want to be set up with him!" Jiyeon threw her heels onto the grass in the front lawn. Baekhyun looked at her and shook his head as if in disbelief.

"You're so damn irritating." Jiyeon kicked him in the ankle.

"Ouch!" Baekhyun dropped to his knees, eyes wide, hands bunched into fists. She didn't kick him hard enough, but his reaction...he exaggerated. Her mother bent down and took a hold of his arm and helped him to his feet.

"I never taught you to be rude, Park Jiyeon." Her mother narrowed her eyes at her. "Apologize to him right now."

Lifting the hem of her dress, Jiyeon ran barefoot as fast as she could, ignoring her mother's calls. She didn't bother to look behind her, didn't bother to attempt to see if she was being followed. She ran down the alleys. Horns blared as she ran right across the busy street. The hot pavement slightly burned the soles of her feet. Her breath came in razor-edged gasps. Passing pedestrians gave her strange looks. But she didn't care. She wanted to tell Jaehyun to finish his high school. She really didn't want him to walk away on her. To leave her. The only person who really seemed to understand her as a voice hearer was him. She ran faster and faster until she felt like she was flying. She grew wings, or so it seemed, and flew to her destination.

Standing in front of Chaeyeon's front door, she was sweating so bad it was running into her eyes. She closed them. Calm yourself Jiyeon. She took some slow, deep breaths, allowing herself to relax. Her head seemed to clear a little. She opened her eyes and wiped her face with her sleeve before knocking on the door. Right before her fourth knock, the door swung open, and Taeyong wearing only his knee-length trousers stood before her. His hair was messy, like he just woke up from nap-time.

"You look like you have been running awfully hard." His gaze swept her head to toe and back up again. "Youngest teacher, you look like a princess in that dress!"

Jiyeon rolled her eyes. "Princess your ."

"I've found the real culprit. He's none other than my classmate with round glasses and shaved head. I brought him to your house." He stared into her eyes. "What brings you here?" 

"Really?" her voice oozed disbelief. "Jihoon is the culprit?"

A shadow of annoyance crossed his features. "Your bike is in his house. Go and check for yourself," Taeyong said as he put his hand on the handle, starting to pull the door close. But Jiyeon startled him when she grabbed the door and held it open. She no longer seemed to care about her bike. Right now, all she cared about was Jaehyun.

"What do you want, youngest teacher?"

Jiyeon inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly before answering, "Do you know where Jaehyun's house is?"

Taeyong huffed out a laugh, shaking his head. "You do really like him, don't you?" A teasing tone crept into his voice.

Jiyeon ducked her head down, biting her bottom lip on the inside of . I can't deny my feelings for him. That's a sure thing. I want to date him despite knowing that it's unprofessional and can lead to all sorts of accusations.

"Your silence answers my question sufficiently." Taeyong gave her a gentle pat on the arm. "Don't be ashamed. Jaehyun is eighteen he can date anybody he'd like. You being twenty-two are not a big deal. The four year is not a big deal at all. Love recognizes no age, no barriers. That's something unbeatable about love."

His remark on love brought a smile to her lips. Jiyeon couldn't quite believe that a recalcitrant student like him could say something like that. His kind words encouraged her.

The smile instantly died as Baekwoon's voice echoed in her ears, seething with anger, "Don't listen to him. Romantic relationship between a student and teacher is professional suicide. You're in a position of authority. Your ethics will be called into question and people will look down upon you if you do date Jaehyun. He will be perceived as the victim and garner sympathy."   

Why don't you keep your nose out of my business, Baekwoon?

Jiyeon took a deep breath, lifted her head and looked Taeyong in the eye. "I came here to ask you whether you know where his house is or not."

"I know where his house is."

"Could you please take me there?" she begged, a pleading tone lacing her voice. "I have very important things to tell him."

Taeyong scrunched his forehead before snapping his fingers. He reached into his trouser pocket, pulled out his phone and began to punch in numbers. He lifted a finger, said, "Give me a minute," and stepped outside.

Jiyeon watched as he walked a few yards away and then began to pace back and forth as he spoke into his phone. The conversation did not last long before he slid it back into his pocket and walked back to her.

"Jaehyun is on the way here."

She expelled a deep sigh of relief. "Taeyong, I'm sorry for accusing you and being rude." Jiyeon bowed her head. "And thank you for your kindness."

"No worries, youngest teacher. Surprise, you're human!"

They exchanged smiles and laughter, truly unhidden ones that carried a kind of entire climate. When the laughter subsided, Taeyong asked, "Do you want to come in and wait for him?"

"No, thank you. I'll wait for him there." Jiyeon pointed to the large pine tree in Chaeyeon's front yard.

"Do you want to have some water?"

"Yes, please. I'm so thirsty." She hadn't realized how dehydrated she was until that moment.

Taeyong ran inside the house while Jiyeon headed toward the tree and sat down leaning against the trunk with her legs extended in front of her. A moment later, he stepped out of the house, carrying a glass of water, heading toward her. He sat down beside her and handed the glass to her, which she took. Unconsciously giving a little sigh, she lifted the glass to her lips. She drank deep, feeling the cold liquid slosh down . It tasted incredibly refreshing.

She handed him back the empty glass. "Thank you. You're being very kind."

He nodded, his face shining with a radiant smile. "Do you want a refill?"

"No, thank you. I feel better," Jiyeon replied. "Anyway, where is Chaeyeon?"

"She went to her grandfather's house with her parents." Taeyong set the empty glass on the grass. "I can't take you to his house because I have to take care of their house while they are away."   

"You're such an obedient boy," she remarked, smiling.

"Some of my classmates find your class boring, that you're a strict teacher and scared of you. You know your boastful attitude is what set me off," Taeyong said. "Chaeyeon talked a lot about you like how you encouraged her to speak in class. She seems to admire you. I think you're quite nice."

"Thank you for being honest." Jiyeon gently patted his arm. "It's a pleasure talking with you."

As they heard the roar of a motorcycle approaching, they rose to their feet. The flashy black and blue motorcycle roared to a stop in front of Chaeyeon's house. The rider shut off the engine, hopped off and lifted the visor of his helmet as he walked over to them. Her wait was over. Very slowly, Jiyeon sighed with relief. He'd finally arrived, the one she'd waited for.

He took her hand in his. "Let's go. I'll take you somewhere beau…" Jaehyun trailed off, his eyes scanning her from head to toe and back up again. "Where are your shoes?"

"I ran all the way here barefoot." Jiyeon wriggled her toes in the grass, savoring its soft texture. "Going barefoot gives me a sense of freedom."

"Wow, you're a barefoot runner!" Taeyong shook his head.  

Jaehyun looked at Taeyong. "Thank you for calling me."

Nodding, Taeyong gave him a pat on the shoulder. "Be careful on the way."

Jaehyun shifted his gaze back to her. "Let's go."

With a nod, Jiyeon gripped his hand tighter, and Jaehyun led her to his motorcycle. He opened his saddlebag, pulled out an extra helmet and placed it over her head. He helped her adjust the strap and nodded. Then he straddled his motorcycle. She lifted the hem of her dress as she climbed on. He started the engine, and the whole bike reverberated to life, as did her nerve endings. Her pulse leaped, the vibrations arousing her body and tickling her senses.

"Wrap your arms around my waist," Jaehyun told her over his shoulder.

He didn't have to ask twice. Jiyeon leaned into the solid strength of his back, bringing them intimately close and snug, and locked her fingers over his taut abdomen. He revved the high-powered engine once more, and they went off. Sitting on the back of his motorcycle, with wide-open road ahead of them and the wind caressing her face, she felt exhilarated, unrestrained, with a sense of freedom. She embraced the feeling and Jaehyun, and enjoyed the invigorating sensations rippling through her. The smile never left her lips.

After what seemed like hours, they reached their destination. As soon as he parked his motorcycle, she hopped off and removed her helmet, shaking her hair loose. Jiyeon handed the helmet back to him, which he took with a smile before she walked towards the lake. The lake site was beautiful, surrounded by green trees. Crystal clear water made it perfect scenery. The sun was approaching the western horizon, coloring the thick atmosphere and the clouds into a sumptuous delight for their vision.

When she reached the wooden dock, she spread her arms wide, bathing herself in the gentle golden of the sunrays. She jumped as two arms wrapped around her waist and drew her into a backwards hug.

"Isn't this place lovely?" Jaehyun whispered. She looked up at him, and his face broke into a delicate smile.

"Yes, it is. Thank you for taking me here." Jiyeon touched his hands as they were around her waist and his fingers were inner-locked in front of her abdomen. They stayed rooted in place, enjoying each other's company, looking at the silhouettes of trees near body of water. By now, the lake was lit only by the last shimmer of the sun setting behind the mountain.

Jaehyun kissed the top of her head, sending warmth through her body. "Taeyong said you have very important things to tell me."

Jiyeon nodded and turned around. Their faces were only an inch apart. Her heart pounded hard against her chest, its beat filling her ears. She wondered if he heard it. She took deep breaths through her nostrils, trying to calm her pounding heart.

"Jaehyun, could you please postpone your desire to live off-grid in the woods at least until you finish high school?" Jiyeon began, trying to sound calm. "You know living in a cabin in the woods is a dream of mine, but I'm not ready to leave my parents yet. I really like you...You're the only person who understands me as a voice hearer. I don't want you to leave me."

Her voice cracked on the last sentence. Jiyeon sniffed audibly as her eyes burned with unshed tears. Jaehyun pulled her into his arms and hugged her tight, cocooning her with his body. She took a few deep breaths, allowing him to soothe her. She felt so safe in his arms.

"Teacher Park, you're the only reason I still attend school. Your smile gives me the same feeling I get from sun gazing." Jaehyun caressed her hair gently. "You remind me of the bright shining sun. Its radiant light makes people unable to see its beauty. Your fierce appearance makes people unable to see your inner beauty. I promise I'll finish school. I won't leave you. You're literally my sun. We can fulfill our dream of living in a cabin in the woods after I graduate." He lowered his voice so deep that it was like warm butter. It sent chills down her spine.

Jaehyun released her from embrace and looked into her eyes. His radiant smile and sparkling eyes danced shadows over her face. They needed no words, their expressions said more than vowels and syllables.

"Don't listen to his sweet nothings! He will only ruin your teaching career!" Baekwoon's gravelly bass voice boomed so loudly that Jiyeon covered her ears with her hands.