Chapter 6

Because I Miss You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That Saturday, Jiyong waited for Dara patiently outside the orphanage so that they could go in together. Dara arrived shortly after and they headed in together. To their slight surprise, Mrs. Kim was waiting for them in front of her office as they entered the orphanage and she hastened towards them as soon as they stepped in.

 

“Dara! Jiyong!” called Mrs. Kim.

 

“Hi Mrs. Kim, is anything the matter?” asked Dara.

 

“I have good news for you!” replied Mrs. Kim excitedly. “We’re seeing some improvement with Yejun!”

 

“Oh really?” squealed Dara. “What’s been happening with Yejun?”

 

“He’s been mixing better with the other three children in your group now, even though he still doesn’t talk to the other children,” explained Mrs. Kim. “He hasn’t even thrown a single tantrum since the day you all brought him out for the picnic.”

 

“That’s great, Mrs. Kim!” said Jiyong. “He must have cried everything out after he bit me. I was so worried that Yejun might just completely switch off from us after that day.”

 

“I was worried about that too,” replied Mrs. Kim. “But looks like that incident actually helped Yejun overcome his barriers. He actually sleeps with the teddy bear that you bought him every night now and screams if anyone dares to try and take it away.”

 

“Oh, that’s so sweet,” cooed Dara. “I’m so glad he likes it.”

 

“Well, I shan’t keep you from your kids any longer. Hope you’ll have a good time today,” said Mrs. Kim with a smile.

 

“We will, Mrs. Kim. Thanks for telling us all this,” replied Jiyong.

 

Mrs. Kim gave them a motherly smile before returning to her office. Minho saw them from the playroom and ran out to greet them.

 

“Jiyong-hyung! Dara-noona! You’re here! Come play with us!” said Minho excitedly.

 

“Okay, we’re coming Minho,” laughed Jiyong, as he went into the playroom with Dara.

 

As they walked in, they saw Sohee and Soomi sitting with Yejun and playing with their small Lego set. Soomi saw them walk in and gave a delighted squeal, “Dara-unnie! Jiyong-oppa! You’re here!”

 

Yejun heard and looked up and for the first time since Dara and Jiyong started their project at the orphanage, Yejun flashed a toothy smile at them and went back to playing with his Lego set. Dara cupped upon seeing Yejun’s smile and turned away quickly. Jiyong saw and asked, “Hey, what’s wrong?”

 

Dara turned to look at him and Jiyong saw that she had teared up a little. Jiyong put an arm around her and patted her back knowingly.

 

“I’m so happy, Jiyong,” mumbled Dara in a slightly choked voice. “Yejun’s finally starting to open up to the people around him.”

 

“I know. It’s wonderful, isn’t it?” replied Jiyong, as he continued to pat her back comfortingly.

 

Dara suddenly felt someone tug on her jeans and turned around. Yejun was standing behind her holding two small Lego structures that he had built.

 

“Dara-noona, this is for you,” said Yejun, as he handed her the structure in his right hand.

 

Dara knelt down and took the structure from him, before pulling him into a tight embrace. “Thank you, Yejun-ah. I love it.” She started crying a little as she said it.

 

Yejun noticed and pulled away from the hug, before wiping her tears away with his free hand. “Noona, why are you crying?” asked Yejun.

 

“No, I’m not crying. Don’t worry, Yejun-ah,” replied Dara with a smile, as she hurriedly wiped away her tears with her hand.

 

Yejun smiled and turned to Jiyong. “Jiyong-hyung, this is for you,” said Yejun.

 

“Thank you, Yejun-ah. I like it a lot,” replied Jiyong with a big smile. As he took the structure from Yejun, a sudden and sharp streak of pain flashed through his head, causing him to nearly drop the structure.

 

“Ah, mianhe Yejun-ah,” apologised Jiyong. Yejun just smiled and beckoned for Jiyong to kneel down. As Jiyong knelt, Yejun leaned forward to give Jiyong a hug. Jiyong was caught slightly off guard but smiled and returned the hug. Yejun then pulled away and went back to playing with the other three children.

 

“Are you ok, Jiyong?” asked Dara. She had noticed his sudden expression of pain when he was taking the structure from Yejun.

 

“I’m fine. Don’t worry,” smiled Jiyong.

 

The day proceeded with them completing the activity that Jiyong had planned with much laughter and excitement.

 

 

The weeks passed and Yejun warmed up more and more to Dara and Jiyong, so much so that he would wait for Dara and Jiyoung’s arrival every Saturday morning at the main gate of the orphanage. However, on the first Saturday of their third month at the orphanage, Yejun surprised the both of them with a request.

 

“Jiyong-hyung!” shouted Yejun from the main gate, as Jiyong walked down the street towards Sunrise Orphanage for their weekly visit to the orphanage.

 

“Yejun-ah!” waved Jiyong with a laugh, as he saw the little boy jumping up and down behind the gates of the orphanage.

 

“Jiyong-hyung! Where’s Dara-noona?” asked Yejun. “I’ve been waiting so long for you all.”

 

“She’ll be coming along soon,” said Jiyong, as he bent down to ruffle Yejun’s hair. “Do you miss her that much?”

 

“Of course! I can’t wait to see my eomma and appa every week!” declared Yejun proudly, as he nuzzled his head into Jiyong’s chest.

 

Jiyong blushed when he heard this. He knew he had been developing feelings for Dara and that both of them loved Yejun very much, so much so that Jiyong had started seeing Yejun as his godson. Their godson. Yejun had been the one he and Dara had become closest to ever since the incident at the picnic, despite Yejun being the most difficult one to handle at the start, and the other children in their group could see it too. They weren’t jealous because they knew that Yejun was the one who felt the greatest impact from the absence of his parents.

 

“Yes, I will call you appa from now on,” quipped Yejun.

 

“Yah! Dara-noona might be angry if you call her your eomma!” warned Jiyong.

 

“No, she won’t! I’m sure she won’t mind because she loves me too!” insisted Yejun, who looked like he was going to cry if Jiyong and Dara refused to let him have his way.

 

“I won’t mind what?” said a voice behind them.

 

Jiyong and Yejun turned to see Dara standing behind them. Yejun’s face lit up and ran to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter