Chapter 19

Because I Miss You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oppa!” squealed Kiko in delight, as she ran over to hug him, oblivious of the shock and surprise on his face.

 

“Kiko, what are you doing here?” asked Jiyong.

 

“Dad needs to come back to Korea for half a year for business, so I’m starting my university here before I go back to US to continue,” replied Kiko.

 

“You two know each other?” asked Dara.

 

“Of course! Jiyong oppa’s my ex-boyfriend! We broke up because my family had to move to the US,” replied Kiko brightly. “But it’s so nice to be able to see him again. I had no idea my parents bought the house next to his!”

 

“Oh I see,” replied Dara flatly. “I’m sorry I can’t keep the kids waiting. You guys must have a lot to catch up on. I’ll get going first.”

 

Dara turned to the kids and said, “Come on guys, we shouldn’t keep Mrs. Kim waiting. Let’s go.”

 

“Baby girl, wait!” shouted Jiyong, as he ran forward and grabbed her wrist. “Let me explain.”

 

“There’s nothing to explain, Jiyong,” said Dara, as she shook off his hand. “She’s an old friend of yours and you guys must have a lot to catch up on. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

 

“Baby girl, please don’t talk like that. You know it’s only going to make me feel worse,” replied Jiyong.

 

“Then stop reacting this way. The more you react this way, the more I will think you have something to hide. Now please, Jiyong. I have kids to send back to the orphanage, you have an old friend to catch up with. You can say whatever you want later,” said Dara curtly, as she looked Jiyong in the eye.

 

Jiyong knew he could say no more, as he watched Dara shepherd the kids down the road, towards the orphanage. Kiko walked towards Jiyong and asked, “Oppa, who is she? Is she someone close? I’ve never heard you call a girl ‘baby girl’ before.”

 

Jiyong looked at Kiko and replied, “She’s…”

 

 

Dara walked in silence down the road with the four kids in tow. She didn’t know what had made her respond to Jiyong so coldly. After all, Jiyong had no idea that his old flame would suddenly pop out of nowhere. That girl Kiko also hadn’t said that she wanted Jiyong back. Why was she overreacting? Surely she had been clear enough to Jiyong that he had no need to explain himself.

 

“Eomma, kwenchana?” asked Yejun timidly.

 

“Kwenchana, Yejun-ah,” replied Dara.

 

“Dara-noona, who was that?” asked Minho.

 

“That was an old friend of Jiyong-hyung, Minho,” replied Dara.

 

“You look sad, Dara-unnie,” said Sohee concernedly.

 

“I’m really okay, Sohee-ah. Don’t worry about me,” replied Dara, as she tried to smile to reassure Sohee.

 

The five of them continued their walk, though they didn’t say much, as the kids sensed that Dara was not feeling in the best of moods. After Dara left the kids at the orphanage, she texted Bom.

 

Hey Bom, you free to meet?

 

Hey Dara, didn’t we just finish the party? Did something happen?

 

Sort of.

 

Okay, okay. Where do you want to meet?

 

Can I go over to your house?

 

Sure, my parents are away for the night.

 

Dara arrived at Bom’s place 10 minutes later. Bom was waiting in the living room when the doorbell rang.

 

“Hey Dara, what happened?” asked Bom.

 

“After you all left, I was getting the kids ready to go back to the orphanage. Just as we stepped out of Jiyong’s house, I saw this girl moving into the house next to Jiyong’s,” ranted Dara. “Turns out she’s Jiyong’s ex-girlfriend, Kiko.”

 

“Omo! Then what happened?” asked Bom.

 

“Jiyong looked genuinely shocked to see her,” replied Dara. “I didn’t introduce myself as Jiyong’s girlfriend. Jiyong tried to explain but I felt I wasn't in the state of mind to listen. I’m quite certain he didn’t know about her moving in, so it can’t possibly be his fault. I’ve also never asked him about his past loves and he’s never probed me about mine. But I just felt so uneasy at that point. I just pushed Jiyong away and brought the kids back to the orphanage. I’m just overreacting, aren’t I, Bommie?”

 

Bom thought about what Dara said for a while, before replying, “I think you should give Jiyong a chance to explain, Dara. And yes, I think that you’re overreacting. Have some confidence in Jiyong and have some confidence in yourself. You and Jiyong fought tooth and nail to be with each other. You’ve been through things that other couples couldn’t possibly think about in their lives. For heaven’s sake, don’t let some old ex of Jiyong’s ruin that. If you’re really concerned about this, go talk to Jiyong.”

 

“I don't know why I’m so shaken by this, Bommie,” said Dara wistfully. “I guess I’m just really scared I’ll lose Jiyong again.”

 

“I know, Dara,” said Bom, as she pulled Dara into a hug. “Now make sure Jiyong knows that as well. I’m sure he already does and he probably is more

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter