Chapter 13

Because I Miss You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara sat by Jiyong’s side in the hospital ward. She had been coming to see Jiyong every day since he was admitted, usually clocking 14-hour days in the hospital before Bom or Youngbae convinced her to leave. It amazed and worried Bom and Youngbae how she was able to sit there for hours on end looking at Jiyong, all the while patiently waiting and hoping that Jiyong would show some sign of waking up. She would have conversations with Jiyong, sharing with him all the love that she had for him. Sometimes, she would hold his hand, as she spoke to him. It eventually became a habit for her to rub her fingers over the scar that Yejun had left on his hand. She would smile when she looked at it and recalled the episode that had caused this scar. She had not cried since the day Jiyong was admitted. She had told herself that she was not going to be weak anymore. Jiyong might wake up at any time and she was going to make sure that the baby girl he saw was going to be one who was strong and worthy of his love. She was going to tell him that she wanted to be his baby girl forever. She was going to help him become an even better Kwon Jiyong. She refused to be a damsel in distress. From here on, she was going to be a queen fighting by her king’s side.

 

“Mrs. Kim, where is appa?” Dara heard a familiar voice outside the ward and looked up.

 

“He’s here, Yejun-ah,” said Mrs. Kim, as she pushed the door of the ward open and brought Yejun in.

 

“Eomma!” shouted Yejun happily and ran over to hug her.

 

“Omo, Yejun-ah. Why are you here?” exclaimed Dara.

 

“I’m sorry, Dara. He wouldn’t stop insisting that he wanted to see Jiyong, so I had to bring him here,” replied Mrs. Kim apologetically.

 

“It’s okay, Mrs. Kim,” smiled Dara.

 

Yejun walked over to Jiyong side and patted him gently on the shoulder and said, “Appa, Yejun is here to see you. Appa, wake up.” But Jiyong gave no response.

 

Tears threatened to wet Dara’s eyes again but she forced them down determinedly. No more tears!

 

“Yejun-ah! Your appa is sleeping. Don’t disturb him. You promised me that you would behave,” chided Mrs. Kim.

 

“Neh…” replied Yejun apologetically, as he stopped patting Jiyong on the shoulder.

 

“Yejun-ah, your appa probably won’t wake up today. He’s sick now and needs lots of rest. You can sit with him if you want but don’t disturb him. Is that all right?” placated Dara.

 

“Neh~ Yejun will be a good boy today,” replied Yejun with a toothy smile.

 

“Good boy. Your appa and I might not be able to visit you for some time, as your appa needs time to rest. You also can’t be screaming for the both of us all the time. Mrs. Kim will tell me whether you have been a good boy or not,” said Dara in a mock-threatening tone.

 

Yejun smiled and replied, “Neh eomma. Yejun won’t cause any trouble for Mrs. Kim. But can Yejun come and visit with Minho and the others some time?”

 

“Of course you can. But you must remember that your appa might not be able to play or talk to you all when you all visit. Is that clear?” said Dara.

 

“Arasso, eomma. I want to sit with appa today,” replied Yejun happily, as he pulled a chair up to Jiyong’s side and sat next to Jiyong.

 

Dara smiled and motioned for Mrs. Kim to step out of the ward with her. Once outside, Mrs. Kim asked, “Dara-ah, Youngbae told me everything. Has Jiyong shown any response?”

 

“Not yet,” replied Dara sadly. “The doctors can’t confirm when he’ll wake up, if he ever wakes up at all. But I’m sure he will. Jiyong’s a dragon. There’s no way a dragon will go down that easily.”

 

“What about you, Dara?” asked Mrs. Kim. “It looks to me like you haven’t been eating or resting well. And look at those panda eyes of yours. Don’t tire yourself out just to stay by Jiyong’s side. I’m sure when Jiyong wakes up it would break his heart to see you in this state.”

 

Mrs. Kim’s words cut through Dara more than she knew. “Funny you should mention that, Mrs. Kim. I broke Jiyong’s heart just before he became like this. It’s really my fault that he’s in this state now,” said Dara.

 

“What makes you say that, dear?” asked Mrs. Kim. “How could him being in a coma ever be your fault? And what’s this about you breaking his heart?”

 

“Jiyong confessed his feelings to me a week before his brain aneurysm ruptured. I rejected him because I thought Chaerin still had feelings for him. I didn't want to deprive Chaerin of a chance to be with Jiyong,” replied Dara.

 

“Does she? I always thought she would be with Seungri, given how they always squabble like an old couple,” replied Mrs. Kim in surprise.

 

Despite herself, Dara chuckled and replied, “I know right. Chaerin kept it very quiet. But she told me that she’s already given up on Jiyong and wanted me to accept Jiyong.”

 

“You love Jiyong, Dara-ah,” said Mrs. Kim. It wasn’t a question. “I can tell.”

 

Dara looked down at her shoes and replied, “Yes, I do. That’s why I can’t forgive myself for causing Jiyong to be in this state now. I accepted Donghae’s confession to me just to convince Jiyong that I didn’t love him, so that Chaerin would have a chance. I’m such a fool, Mrs. Kim. In the end, he entered this state believing that I don’t love him. By the time I figured out my own feelings, it was too late. I don't even know if he will believe me if I tell him that I love him after he wakes up.”

 

“You didn’t cause him to be in this state, Dara. How could any of us have known that Jiyong had a brain aneurysm? Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for the both of you. And it definitely isn’t too late. If you feel that you have let Jiyong down, now is the time to make it up to him. And the best way to make it up to him now is to take good care of yourself. Have you looked in the mirror recently, Dara? How is torturing yourself like this going to make things any better? Have you been eating regularly?” asked Mrs. Kim.

 

Dara smiled at the familiar question and replied, “Jiyong used to check on me all the time to make sure I was eating regular and proper meals. But you’re right, I haven’t been eating or sleeping well since he was admitted.”

 

“Promise me you’ll take care of yourself, Dara. If not for yourself, then for Jiyong, for Yejun and the other kids. I think Yejun won’t be able to take it if his eomma falls sick as well,” coaxed Mrs. Kim.

 

“That reminds me, Mrs. Kim. Please don’t ever tell Yejun that Jiyong is in a coma. Just let him think that Jiyong is resting,” urged Dara.

 

“You don’t have to tell me that. I can’t imagine what would happen if Yejun ever found out,” replied Mrs. Kim, as she kept a sharp eye on the ward door, in case Yejun came out suddenly. Mrs. Kim then reached out and took Dara's hand, before saying, "Take this as a test, Dara-ah. If Jiyong really doesn't believe that you love him, then prove to him that he's wrong. If anyone can do it, you can. I have faith in you."

 

"Thank you, Mrs. Kim," replied Dara with a grateful smile.

 

Dara and Mrs. Kim ended their conversation and went back into the ward. Yejun was still sitting beside his appa, chattering away brightly about his day and recent happenings. Mrs. Kim saw him and called out, “Yejun-ah. Didn't I tell you not to disturb your appa?

 

“Anni, Mrs. Kim. I’m not disturbing. I’m just sharing with appa what happened recently. It’s okay if he’s not awake. I just want to tell him,” replied Yejun.

 

Dara smiled and said,” Arasso, Yejun-ah. Now, it’s time for you and Mrs. Kim to go home. You can come and see your appa another day.”

 

“Arasso, eomma. Anniyo, appa,” said Yejun, as he reached up to kiss Jiyong on his cheek before walking out of the ward.

 

 

White mist swirled around Jiyong. For some reason, it calmed him. He looked down and saw that he was clothed in a white robe but had no footwear. He started to walk, though in which direction, he had no idea. He felt a calmness that he had not experienced in a long time. His head did not hurt, his vision was clear and his heart was steady.

 

Am I dead? Is this what death is? The last thing I remember was my blinding headache before everything went black.

 

Jiyong continued to walk. His feet did not ache nor did he feel any form of fatigue. How long he walked, he did not know. After what felt like an eternity, he suddenly wished for a place to sit. As he took a few more steps, a park bench materialised from behind the mist and he sat down.

 

“Jiyong-ah,” a familiar voice called from behind him. Jiyong turned and saw Mr. Kang.

 

“Oh, seonsaeng-nim,” Jiyong hurried to stand and bowed. “Why are you here?”

 

“I’m not really here. But I’m here to guide you,” replied Mr. Kang.

 

“What do you mean, seonsaeng-nim?” asked Jiyong.

 

“Are you enjoying your stay here so far?” asked Mr. Kang, as he sat down on the park bench and beckoned for Jiyong to do the same.

 

“Well…” Jiyong sat next to Mr. Kang and thought for a while before continuing. “I guess so. I’ve never felt so at peace with myself. I feel no pain, no hunger, no fatigue and no distress.”

 

“Feels good, doesn’t it?” asked Mr. Kang. “What else have you noticed?”

 

“Nothing much. Just a lot of white mist and the fact that I don’t feel anything negative,” replied Jiyong.

 

“Is that all?” continued Mr. Kang.

 

“What do you mean?” asked Jiyong.

 

“You don’t feel anything negative? What else?” probed Mr. Kang.

 

“I don’t feel… I don’t feel… That’s it! I don’t feel!” replied Jiyong in a rush of realisation.

 

Mr. Kang smiled. “Technically, that answer is incomplete. But you’ll find out the full answer later. You have the chance to choose, Jiyong-ah. You’re lucky. Not many people do.”

 

“What do you mean, Mr. Kang?” asked Jiyong.

 

“When people come here, they follow the light. But for you, you’ve been wandering here for some time, haven’t you?” asked Mr. Kang. “And everywhere looks the same, no matte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter